• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

purrgggeee that hard drive

droomph

weeb
Years
At what percentage of your built-in hard drive do you start to get the "what will I do when the space runs out" blues?

For me, I just hit the limit, which for me is about 40%. I hit the 80 GB free mark a couple weeks ago, and I've been compulsively backing things up to a hard drive and deleting them from my computer.

What about you?

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2013
I'm gettin' those blues now that I'm down to 300 GB on my 9 TB external RAID array.

:p

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I'm way passed it, I despertaely need a new hard drive. I'm down to 9GB of 1TB external drive, and my two flash drives (one 8gb and another 16 gb are full - mostly filled with Pokemon and Sim City 4 stuff) - I was just looking online for some external drives.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I've gone down into the megabytes several times with my terabyte HD. I use my other, older computer to store my movies and shows now, which is a pain in terms of accessibility (having to have both computers on, the older one being rather loud due to the RAM we took out), but it does the trick.

Years
75% is when I start cleaning up. My 120GB SSD isn't very big, so that happens fairly often during the Steam Sales, but otherwise, everything else goes onto my 1TB Data Drive, or 2TB Program/Games array.

Same for my laptop. Programs, documents, music go on the 120GB SSD, videos and other downloads go on the 640GB HDD (500GB Data Partition) and time machine backs up the SSD to a 140GB Backup Partition on that HDD.

I hate trying to work with limited space and having to manage different drives, but SSDs are worth it.

Years
I start to look into cleaning mine up when it gets to the 75%-80% mark. I don't tend to do it until I physically can't fit anything onto the hard drive or, if I'm on windows, get that annoying little message saying that I have x amount of space left.
When I actually do need to clean up my drive/s though I tend to just look at all the movies I've crap I've downloaded and used/watched once or twice and will probably never watch again. Most of the time that clears up a couple of gigabytes, but if it's still not enough I'll either move things along to external storage or go on a mass clean up and remove anything I don't need/want.

CarefulWetPaint

Doctor Lobotomy
Years
I usually let my internal hard drive fill up to about 90% then delete everything Ive downloaded after moving it to my external. Thats getting rather full atm as well though so I will probably just have to buy a new one soon.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
When I hit below 4 GB on my puny SSD.

Thank goodness I've obliterated the OSX install on my SSD that was being as crashy as possible on a MacBook Air and went Windows only, reclaiming 44 GB of space. (!)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
I have about 400 GBs on my hard drive.
I keep all of my music in iTunes Match, so that frees up 101.39 GBs of space that would otherwise be on my computer.
I delete TV shows and movies after I finish watching them if I've downloaded them from the internet, legally or otherwise.
I have a Dropbox Pro account with 100 GBs available.

I don't worry about running out of room.

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
For my computer, I rarely do some deleting, because the only things that come and go in there would be updates of applications + my graphics driver, pictures and music. And that's not that often. It's pretty rare. So it's rare for me to be severely pushed to clean up.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I have like 55GB left on my 320GB hard drive, and I'm personally fine with it. If that goddamn winsxs folder didn't get so damn big, I'd have another 20GB to spare. I try to keep to a minimum what I put on here, and sometimes prune some things just to save space. I have plenty of backups though! :)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
Years
1 TB hdd, when I get under 50 gb then I start putting stuff on disc and deleting it from the computer.

It's sitting at 102 gb now, but thats because I burned about 20 discs worth of stuff the last couple of days. (I've got another 30 discs worth of stuff to still burn too. I don't burn the discs to capacity, unless its a general backup, I usually burn a certian number of files per disc (10/15) or only a single series (Most of my dled anime run ~70-100 mb compressed mkv's, instead of the uncompressed 200-300 mb avi's.)

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
Years
I'm a bit of a miser when it comes to space. 588gb free of 682 gb. Of course, it also helps that I can't download full movies to begin with due to slow internet.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
Years
Right now, I'm hovering at just below 60GB free on a 220GB hard drive that was claimed to be a 250GB. Besides wondering why they're overstating their HD capacity, I'm getting to the point where I'm seriously considering buying myself a 1TB external drive (since getting a new computer with that much memory is out of the question financially).

Once I get it and copy all my files as backup, I might go ahead and clear out those anime series that I don't watch too often, as those videos are what's taking up the lion's share of my disk space. I don't want to delete them till I have them stored elsewhere, though. After all, I might still watch them from time to time.

I might also clear out some of my accumulated fanart once I get it onto a backup drive... those high-resolution pics of Leaf, Pretty Cure, and other anime cuties also take up a good amount of space.

Back