• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Gyms

Which gym layout you preferred?

• Older style gyms

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Newer style gyms

Votes: 33 75.0%

• Total voters

ZetaZaku

AEUG Pilot
Years
Since the puzzles are easy, it's completely the same as the old ones, except better looking. Especially some gyms in B2W2. Elesa's and Roxie's gyms didn't have any puzzles, but they looked great. And I don't see a point in avoiding trainers. I always fight with each of them (Both gym and routes), even though they are easily avoidable.

Years
The newer Gyms because the puzzles are fun, while some are tricky but I do love how the designs changed over the generations.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
I'm always eager to fight the leader, but actually reaching him/her should take effort. So I prefer the puzzles.

1st and 2nd gen didn't have many puzzles because the Game Boy was kinda limited in what it could do. The completely revamped gyms in HGSS were a welcome addition.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
Hell no! I love the newer generation gyms. The puzzles, the designs, the trainers, the music etc. Don't get me wrong, some of the older generation gyms are quite fantastic, but I do love a challenge, so the gym puzzles were always something I looked forward to solving. (Especially now, since the graphics and the puzzles imo are much more visually appealing and challenging.)

dragonfly_dust

Look at my avatar! Nuff said.
Years
  • Seen Feb 18, 2017
I don't mind either setup as long as I'm prepared to face that gym leader...

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I like both old style and new style of Gym layout, although I'll vote for new style because the puzzle there are so appealing (like Burgh's B2W2 puzzle for example).

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Newer style, definitely. Gym leaders have started getting the respect they deserve with nice, lavish gyms and well-thought-out puzzles that scale in difficulty to match the actual gym leaders. The final gym in B/W was great because it was big, flashy, and required some thought. It made the gym experience feel so much more incredible.

The Elite Four visual upgrades are the same. Platinum changed the atmosphere of an Elite Four member's room and that simple visual upgrade really boosted the intensity of the moment.

waveguidebuizel

weirdguybuizel
Years
Like most people here, I like the newer gyms, as they tend to require more thought. Though I think the formula's been pretty consistent throughout the generations (where the first two or so gyms have no puzzle, and every gym after those [with some exceptions] do have a "puzzle"). It's just that the puzzles have evolved over time (trash search-->electric doors-->spinning gears, etc.) that makes it seem different, in my opinion. Though despite that, like I mentioned, we still have those gyms where you can just fight/skip some trainers and face the leader. (Hmm, we've yet to have a rock gym puzzle...)

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
Years
DEFINITELY the newer gym styles! I loved the puzzles in the gyms. They gave an oomph to the gameplay and made them challenging and exciting, as well as also making use of the awesome graphics and the amazing 3D effects. Fighting all the trainers in the gym along with the puzzles also makes reaching the gym leader all the more rewarding, giving your Pokemon that extra training they need. Just imagine: walking across a flat, plain floor with perhaps walls here and there for decoration, the pathway to the gym leader clearly visible with the trainers not even meeting your line of sight. Where's the fun in that, may I ask? Where's the challenge?!

Years
Definitely puzzles for me, it doesn't have to be overly complicated, even just the rides in Bugsy's Gym or the opening of light little by little in Brawly's can be fun :)

I think the one I struggled most with was Candice's, just cause one of the snowballs confused me but I got it eventually lol :P

KriegStein

Nuclear Reactor
Years
Hmm. I admit I like how the new gyms look and the puzzle aspect is also ok. But I dont like it if they force you to battle everyone. Its not like you came to the gym to challenge the leaders inadept students. NO! You came in to take the leaders head. (figuratively speaking) I dont mind couple of fights and stuff but when it would go to the point that you are fighting and endurance match against the whole gym it kinda loses its point. (atleast to me) Although skipping everyone else in the gym might also be a bad thing. I dont now. I personally would like the gym leaders to be more challenging. (I dont mean charmander vs brock style) I mean they should be the 8 strongest trainers (in official duty atleast) outside Elite Four. So I think Ill say that the older ones... But yeah...thats what I think.

Years
  • Seen Jan 19, 2014
To be honest, as long as they're well-designed, I don't particularly care.

Puzzles are fine, as long as they're not poorly done. Puzzles like Clay's in B2/W2, though. That was terrible. It was mostly just, run around until you find the platform that connects to he one you want, which could be anywhere.

Years
  • Seen Dec 2, 2013
To be honest, as long as they're well-designed, I don't particularly care.

Puzzles are fine, as long as they're not poorly done. Puzzles like Clay's in B2/W2, though. That was terrible. It was mostly just, run around until you find the platform that connects to he one you want, which could be anywhere.

it wasn't that bad XD, but yeah i wouldnt want to see that again.

JohnnyJ773

Wanderer from Cianwood City
Years
I like the newer gyms cuz of the puzzles and and you have to fight your way through trainers to get to the leaders. It brings out the characteristics of each gym

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
I love the challenge and the complexity of the newer style of gyms, and getting lost too. Happened a few times in Black 2. I also enjoy challenging every trainer in the gym before the gym leader, taking advantange and enjoying the game as much as possible + making my own team stronger all the time.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I end up battling every trainer I meet in a gym anyway. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to that, so the new gyms having more trainers isn't a problem at all. From what I've seen the newer games have better, more creative gym layouts, so combined with more trainers (and therefore more experience) I prefer the newer gyms over the older ones.

RPX

seclusion
Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2013
Definitely the newer ones. It makes the game more fun and challenging, instead of just breezing through the gym with walk through walls. Some puzzles are actually really challenging, but fun! I enjoyed walking through Tate and Liza's arrow tiles in Ruby, even after defeating them. Some puzzles can be really boring though, like Wattson's. The gym could have been bigger, then I would've enjoyed it. Winona's puzzle is repetitive, and it's just boring. But overall the newer style is better, for me anyway! C:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
Newer style Gyms are so much better. More fun! It would be so dull without any obstacles.

Back