• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Surprising age ratings

Years
Have you ever watched a movie, and felt the age rating it got from the MPAA, BBFC or it's equivalent in your coutry doesn't fit, and think it was rated higher or lower than the movie actually deserves?

One of my favorite movies is a lesser known one from 2006 called The Fall, and I can't seriously think of a good reason for the movie content to have the R/restricted for ages under 18 rating it got.

You will see no sex, and definitely no nudity, hardly even a kiss. There's not a lot of strong language either, no recreational drug use.

The official reason for an R is supposed to be it's "violence" but there's very little of that even. It is meant to be a heartwarming film about a lonely entertainer who was paralyzed in an accident, telling adventure to a little girl who is a hospital patient with him. The movie is mostly the two sitting and talking. They daydream about heroes fighting a bad guy, but it's all fantasy action in their heads, scenes of jumping from a high height in slow motion or dodging a bullet, the guy picturing himself doing the amazing feats he can can longer do in real life. There's no more violence than a Star Wars or Lord of the Rings movie, run-of-the-mill pg-13 movies. The most The Fall had was a sequence imagining a warrior being stabbed in a sword fight, but it's filmed in a more romantic death scene way with some blood on his chest as he is wounded.

I suspect it only has an R because it's an independent film, and didn't have powerful enough Hollywood forces on it's side to fight for a fair rating.

Is there a movie rating that ever made you go "What?!"

Back