• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Burning Bright [One-Shot]

Bay

Years
Hello everyone! I wrote this for a writing contest of sorts with the prompt being "A Day in the Life of a Gym Leader." I wanted to write about one of my favorite Galar gym leader Kabu, and this is the result! I only managed to get this down after the even't final extension, so I might edit this to a more polished version later. If you're dropping by, I hope you enjoy!

Burning Bright
A SwSh ficlet

Kabu liked to travel to the Isle of Armor because of the various training opportunities there. The Courageous Cavern was filled with water Pokémon, a great way for his fire Pokémon to practice going against them head-on. He often did his training runs at the Challenge Road, one of his Pokémon following along. The other Galar gym leaders visited here too and he met them on occasion, sometimes battling them.

Today he found Raihan, his Tor-colleague as he liked to call him, at Potbottom Desert. After a small chat, they decided to have a battle at Mustard's dojo. It was a double battle with Kabu's Arcanine and Centiskorch against Raihan's Goodra and Duraludon. Known for taking advantage of the weather, Raihan had Mist, his Goodra, use Rain Dance, causing the skies to go black and the battlefield wet.

Kabu already predicted he would do that, so he had his Arcanine, Rexy, focused on the slimy dragon and Jam, his Centiskorch focused on Scrap, the Duraludon. Both Rexy and Mist exchanged various attacks at one another until Mist launched Muddy Water at Rexy and causing him to collapse. Jam took Mist out by lashing at her with flashing flames. The rain stopped at the same time. When it was down to just Jam and Scrap, Kabu and Raihan Giantamax their Pokémon.

Jam and Scrap grew several times in size and changed forms. The Centiskorch's underside turned yellow with lighter-colored circles and the flames on his head and telson were larger and burning brighter. Scrap's Ginatamax form resembled a tall skyscraper with a glass plate on its abdomen and glass panels on its chest. Raihan commanded Scrap to use Max Steelspikes, which made large spikes to pop out until it hurt Jam's stomach. Kabu let Jam use Max Flare, having him blast large flames at Scrap and doing a good deal of damage. Both Pokémon were breathing hard, getting exhausted.

"Looks like our Pokémon is to their limit," Raihan said. "Scrap, let's go with G-Max Depletion!"

"We'll have a fiery finish of our own. G-Max Centiforno, Jam!"

Each Pokémon unleashed their respective G-Max moves. Scrap's G-Max Depletion had him unleashed a burst of purple dragon energy while Jam's G-Max Centiforno had him coiled up with its underbelly glowing and launched a fireball at the Duraludon. Both attacks collided and caused a large explosion that made Kabu cough from the smoke and his ears rang from the noise.

Several seconds passed until the smoke cleared. Both Pokémon were back in their normal forms but with Duraludon still standing while Jam collapsed on the battlefield. Raihan congratulated Scrap and returned him.

"Jam!" Kabu rushed to his Pokémon's side and lifted Jam's head. When his Centiskorch groaned, Kabu sighed in relief and returned him inside his pokéball. "You were great there, friend."

At that moment, someone clapped and Kabu flinched. He and Raihan turned around to see Mustard with a few of his fighting dojo students and his Pokémon, Kubfu. The old man flashed them a grin.

"Oh ho ho! A fine performance I expected from the both of you!"

"I agree," one of the dojo students said. "The way you two used Giantamax is exceptional."

Grinning back, Kabu said, "Such an honor hearing that from you, Mustard. There's a reason Raihan is an expect on weather-based battles."

"You're a force to be reckoned with, yourself," Raihan said. "Your Centiskorch was able to stand on its own against Scrap there."

"Maybe so, but there is some stuff I could've done differently to have an even better advantage!"

While everyone was conversing, Kubfu lifted its arms and jumped. Mustard looked down and laughed.

"Hehe, looks like Kubfu is cheering you on!"

Kabu's eyes turned wide, taken aback by that. He smiled and kneeled to pat Kubfu's head.

"I can already tell this little guy has such a fiery spirit!"

"I think all of us together for a selfie would be great!" Raihan said, already pulling out his Rotom phone.

Mustard, his students, and Kubfu agreed. Everyone gathered together and waited until Rotom flashed a picture of them. Raihan showed Kabu the selfie, and he gave a satisfied nod. Mustard and his students also liked the photo.

"You know Raihan, your battles with Leon remind me of my rivalry with Opal. I think you would be great competing in other Leagues!"

"I agree," Kabu said, crossing his arms. "You can become champion in the Hoenn League easily!"

Back in Hoenn, Kabu was considered a strong trainer with potential. He traveled through Hoenn and became a gym trainer in Fallabor Town for a while before attempting the Hoenn League and making it to the semi-finals. He was approached by the then chairman of the Galar League who asked him if he would like to be a gym leader in Galar. He asked his mentor, Mr. Moore, who happened to be the current Fallabor Town gym leader's grandfather, whether he should take that opportunity. He told him that he should, and Kabu was glad that he did. He had been enjoying his life in Galar.

Raihan's mouth twitched and he shrugged. "Many people tell me that. Beating Leon is my number one goal right now, so I'll be staying in Galar until that happens."

With a small smile, Kabu said, "Understandable and I get that. The few times I went against Leon he isn't easy to get through."

"Dinner's ready, everyone!" Mustard's wife, Honey called out.

"Ah, Honey's finished with the Max soup! C'mon everyone!"

Everyone followed Mustard behind back inside the dojo. Kabu was hungry, so some dinner would be a great end to today.

xxx

Kabu's schedule for today was one of his normal routine ones. In the morning he ran around Motostoke City and the Motostoke Outskirts. Late morning to afternoon he stayed in the Motostoke City Gym to help train the gym trainers. There was an incident in the puzzle room where one of the trainer's Litwick accidentally burned a good portion of the grass. The flames were quickly extinguished and Kabu reassured the trainer not to worry. He enjoyed teaching them as it reminded him of his gym trainer days in Hoenn and he liked to watch their progress. After getting some lunch at the Pokémon Center's cafe, he would train at the Galar Mines No. 2

Galar Mines No. 2 was one of two mines in the Galar region. Both mines had crystals of various colors that lit like Christmas lights, but the No. 2 mines had pools of water brimming with water Pokémon. This was a perfect place for Kabu to train with his fire Pokémon so they can learn how to withstand them.

Right now he and Bullseye his Carkol were fighting against a feisty Binacle. Bullseye dodged a slash from the two-handed Pokémon and threw a large rock at it, hitting it above its eye on its hand. The Binacle shook it off and its hand glowed blue.

"Go underground and wait for my signal!" Kabu called out.

The Binacle swiped at Bullseye, only for the Carkol to dive underground. The dual water-and-rock type turned its two hands around, confused where its opponent went. Kabu waited for a few seconds until he whistled, signaling for Bullseye to act.

At that moment, the Carkol popped up and collided with the Binacle. The Binacle screamed as it flew up and crashed down. After barely getting up, the Binacle hissed and darted off. Kabu grinned and gave a thumbs up to Bullseye.

"Great work there, buddy. You're definitely on fire there!"

Bullseye grinned back and made a noise that Kabu assumed meant that he was happy with that praise. Bullseye was one of Kabu's newer Pokémon he had been training for over a year now. He wasn't the fastest but he made it up with bulk and power. Kabu enjoyed having him as his partner.

That brief interlude was interrupted when a Pokémon's scream was heard. Kabu's shoulders jumped.

"That sounds like that Pokémon is in trouble. Come on, let's go!"

He and Bullseye rushed to the source of the scream, which wasn't too far, and at an open area where a minecart filled with the crystals was at. The turtle Pokémon Drednaw was caught under the mouth of Galarian Stunfisk. Both of the mineworkers Francis and Yvonne stood by with frightened faces. Yvonne's Timburr, Drake, was with them, panting hard and with bruises on his head and chest.

"Hey, what's going on?" Kabu asked with a concerned brow.

"This Drednaw accidentally stepped on Stunfisk and got stuck," Francis said. "We tried to help, but Drednaw attacked Drake."

Kabu narrowed his eyes and pressed his lips. He faced back at the Drednaw, now stomping on the ground. The Stunfisk still held on to the turtle Pokémon's leg. Those two Pokémon needed to be separated now. He looked at Bullseye while pointing at the Stunfisk.

"Bullseye, I want you to hit that Stunfisk with all the firepower you got!"

After giving a nod, Bullseye inhaled and the coals on its back burned brightly. He launched a large stream of flames at the Stunfisk, causing it to yell in pain and let go of the Drednaw. When the Drednaw collapsed on the ground, Yvonne rushed to its aid and used a potion to heal its wounds.

Annoyed at being attacked, the Stunfisk opened its mouth and launched at Bullseye. Bullseye dodged and released another stream of flames at the Stunfisk. The Stunfisk got pushed back and made another attempt at biting him. This time it was able to grab Bullseye's leg, which made him try to shake the Stunfisk off.

"Use Rapid Spin to get rid of the Stunfisk, and finish off with Smack Down!" Kabu said urgently.

Immediately, Bullseye spun around as a spinning toy and the Stunfisk flew off of him. While the Stunfisk was still in the air, he spat out a large boulder and it hit the Stunfisk in the face. The Stunfisk crashed down and sunk itself back into the mud. Kabu sighed in relief while Bullseye rolled his arms in celebration.

"You did a lot of training today, Bullseye. You deserved a long rest," he said, returning him inside his pokéball.

Remembering that the Drednaw was here, Kabu walked up to where Francis and Yvonne were. The Drednaw rested on the ground and the wound on the leg faded a little bit. Kabu grunted.

"Nice work on getting its wound healed as soon as possible. The Drednaw still needs to be taken to the Pokémon Center."

Both Yvonne and Francis nodded in agreement. Yvonne said, "I'll call the Corviknight Taxi to have them pick us up."

Yvonne used her Rotom phone to call the Corviknight Taxi to have them come to the mine's exit at Route Three. Kabu and Francis helped Drednaw get up to let it slowly follow them to the exit. So far today had been an interesting one for Kabu.

Xxx

The group took the Drednaw to Motostoke City's Pokémon Center. The nurses and doctor checked on the Pokémon and informed them that the Drednaw will need to rest for tonight but otherwise it was fine. Everyone was relieved at the news. Right after, Yvonne and Francis said that they needed to get back to the mines but that they would pick up Drednaw tomorrow. Kabu was fine with that and thanked them once more for healing the Drednaw.

It was early evening by the time Kabu was done with that, and it was time for dinner. He cooked himself and his Pokémon some spicy sausage curry. This was his favorite curry as he loved the spicy seasoning mixed with the umami of the sausage. While eating next to the dining table, he glanced to see his Pokémon enjoying their meal too. His Ninetales, Torkoal, and Arcanine often ate slowly while his Carkol, Centskorch, and Salazzle munched it down like a large cake.

Shortly after he finished his dinner, he rode on his exercise bike while watching television. Right now the news was on with the sports and Pokémon training segment.

"Don't forget that tomorrow our very own Motostoke City's burning man Kabu will be having three gym matches tomorrow, the first one scheduled at 9 am. The stadium will open its doors an hour before. You don't want to miss this!"

Kabu smiled to himself upon hearing his name and the announcement of his matches. Milo and Nessa had mentioned that these three trainers did better than expected in their gym matches and perhaps could make it past him. Either way, he would make sure to ignite their spirit during their battles.

After he was done with his workout for the night, he showered, changed to his pajamas, and climbed to bed. He grabbed a book to read before going to sleep, which was a fantasy adventure story about a knight traveling through the Kalos region in search of a large and powerful Salamence. He enjoyed the knight's various misadventures with the different people and Pokémon he interacted with.

Kabu was reading the part where Holtz's money had been stolen by a crafty thief and so he followed her to her village. While he was absorbed in their funny banter, his lap started to get warm. He looked down to see his Centskorch laying his head on his lap. His Torkoal and Arcanine were sleeping on the floor while the rest of his Pokémon slept in the living room. Kabu smiled and patted Jam's head.

"You want to listen to me read this story to you?" he asked. Jam lifted his head and made a happy squeal. Kabu chuckled. "Sure, I don't mind. Alright, where was I..."

He read to Jam for over half an hour, enjoying the next part of the story where Holtz and the thief worked together to steal an expensive heirloom from a noble house and planned to sell it for money for the thief's village. Kabu wasn't sure how much Jam understood what he was saying, but from his head movements and noises, he seemed to like that part too. As exhaustion soon took over him, Kabu mused that today was a good day and he looked forward to tomorrow.

Back