• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The passwordless future is here for your Microsoft account

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen yesterday
A passwordless future is here for your Microsoft account. They shared a blog post last month explaining that you will no longer need to enter a password. You can use their authenticator app, Windows Hello, a security key, or a code sent to your phone or email.

Nobody likes passwords. They're inconvenient. They're a prime target for attacks. Yet for years they've been the most important layer of security for everything in our digital lives—from email to bank accounts, shopping carts to video games.

Beginning today, you can now completely remove the password from your Microsoft account. Use the Microsoft Authenticator app, Windows Hello, a security key, or a verification code sent to your phone or email to sign in to your favorite apps and services, such as Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft OneDrive, Microsoft Family Safety, and more.

https://www.microsoft.com/security/...ss-future-is-here-for-your-microsoft-account/

Will anyone here due this for their Microsoft account?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
I don't see myself using it. Although If it becomes the norm I would accept it and not object.

Midnight Umbreon

Life is a conundrum of esoterica
Years
Yeah, no chance. I use a password manager that is only on my computer, and there is no reason to move away from them, because even if one of them gets stolen, the rest of them are safe.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Online now
Attempt No. 1378278123728312 of big ass corporations telling us what the future has to look like...

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Removing password alone and just use authentication might increase more risk of having your account compromised. Sure if keep your smartphone secure with pin or any sort of protection from anyone accessing your things, but it be worse case if someone stole your phone and use your autho app to login to your info and even as sensitive like your location or bank account cuz PASSWORD is GONE POOF and just use auth app to login.

I don't like this idea one bit..

Duck

🦆 quack quack
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 23, 2023
I make a point to not use a Microsoft account, even though Windows 11 apparently required it out of the box.

This is just one more reason to feel vindicated in that.

Years
I've actually had this on a handful of accounts for a few years, but generally I try to retain both my password and my external authentication device (which is always pin locked as well) when I can.

This feature requires a device that is already signed into your account to be your external authentication device, it's worth noting. It's not inherently removing a layer of security on its own.

Omicron

the day was mine
Years
I don't think this is inherently a bad idea.

Something you have > something you know if you're going to have a single auth method, in my opinion. Of course, requiring both is even more secure.

Personally, I'm waiting on a pair of yubikeys I ordered to arrive to start using them wherever I can.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
I don't think this is inherently a bad idea.

Something you have > something you know if you're going to have a single auth method, in my opinion. Of course, requiring both is even more secure.

Personally, I'm waiting on a pair of yubikeys I ordered to arrive to start using them wherever I can.

I've been considering them but I'm just waiting on the price going down a bit first. Having my phone password-protected means I don't have to worry if someone steals my device to get into my authenticators, as they're locked behind biometrics so unless you lob off my hand or use my face, you're not getting very far.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
not at all, and i am sure the majority of people would agree with you

but then the next question would be - what are your thoughts on multifactor/2-factor authentication?

They keep our accounts security, but they can be annoying to have to constantly deal with.

Back