• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favorite Starter Trio

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Funny realization I had about the gen 5 starters:
Snivy (2 legs) -> Serperior (no legs)
Oshawott (2 legs) -> Samurott (4 legs)
Tepig (4 legs) -> Emboar (2 legs)

While it occasionally happens for a starter to change the way they move. Gen 5 really went in on it.

---

Anyway: what's your favorite starter trio from the old gens?

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen yesterday
My favorite starters are from different gens, but for trio as a whole: Sinnoh.

They're all interesting choices, and great for different reasons. I like all their designs, two of them have unique typings, and they have no megas or any other gimmicks that I don't like to see in starters.

Years
Johto's are amazing. They are all great and I like all of their middle forms as well as final forms, which is rare for me - there's always at least one middle and final stage I dislike. The starter designs really peaked around there imo, especially for first forms. <3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Although Hoenn was my first I have to say Sinnoh.

The dual-typings are great - Empoleon gains a Grass resistance, so Torterra gets Ground to hit it still (and Infernape), Empoleon's new type means Infernape can hit both it and Torterra with supereffective STAB too. Although Steel doesn't hit super-effectively, Empoleon gets Ice-type moves which Torterra is now 4x weak to so it's still fair.

The designs are great too, normally I loathe at least one middle stage and one final stage but here my least favourite is Prinplup and it's not bad, it's just not good.

Johto are pretty good but I don't like Meganium (mostly because of its Gen IV back sprite which looks like it's crying). I really like that they keep their single type all the way through too (it potentially toughens the challenge of the Champion too as he resists all their STABS, which fits with the lore about Dragons at that stage of the series)

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
What is my favorite starter trio? That is a really good question, Megan. I haven't given it too much thought until now. Normally, I just enjoy individual starters such as Feraligatr, Blaziken, and Serperior, but as a whole trio, answering this question might be interesting! I really enjoy the starters from the Galar region. I love Inteleon and its ability to improve your play-through by being able to land several critical hits and inflict extra damage with its Sniper ability, which is especially effective when combined with the friendship feature. I also love Inteleon's ability to be a great special sweeper competitively as well, especially in the Rain. I love Cinderace and its Libero/Protean ability, which allows it to change types based on the move it uses. It ensures that Cinderace always hits with STAB and is very powerful. I love Rillaboom and its ability to do some serious damage as a wallbreaker. I love its ability, Grassy Surge, which boosts the power of Grass-type moves among other things and gives Rillaboom priority when using Grassy Glide, a move that becomes extremely powerful as well in Grassy Terrain. The Kanto starters are also great. I love Blastoise for being able to use Shell Smash effectively, making it a deadly sweeper, especially after Gigantamaxing. I love Charizard for being so great after Gigantamaxing as well and being really good to use in Doubles. I love Venasaur for being perhaps the greatest special sweeper in the Sun. If I had to choose between the two as a whole, I might have to go with Galar. You can't go wrong using all of those!

Individual favorites per type: Blaziken, Feraligatr, and Serperior. Blaziken is simply amazing. It has Speed Boost as an ability, which is broken and allows Blaziken to be a feared sweeper. I love Feraligatr's design. It reminds me of godzilla in a way. Its ability, Sheer Force, allows it to hit like a truck when holding a Life Orb and can sweep teams after using Dragon Dance. Serperior is great for simply being the underdog, or undersnake in this case. She has a great design, a smug snake, and with Contrary, she gets Special Attack boosts with Leaf Storm instead of reduction! I love it!

Years
Kanto: iconic but i wouldnt say best(my bias ignored)
Johto: not talked about much, eh
Hoenn: very solid designs and usability on all 3
Sinnoh: Only really like turtwig
Unova: pretty good if your name isnt tepig
Kalos: pretty good if your not a grass starter whose name i can't remember
Alola: actually really good, might be my fave trio
Galar: pretty good if your not grookey

Hisui: the 3 final evolutions are all pretty good in having a different feel and identity to their default looks

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 16, 2023
a few weeks ago i commented on a post about ranking the starter trios, and i noticed something: there isnt one starter trio where i like the three of them, i guess its probably me being picky but you would expect in 9 gens worth of starters atleast one trio where i like all of them lol
that being said, i think i will stuck with Johto/Galar for my answer, i guess these two are the ones i like the most.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
Hisui: the 3 final evolutions are all pretty good in having a different feel and identity to their default looks

Forgot about Hisui! Joint-2nd with Hoenn for me at the moment although that might change when I play far enough to actually use the final stages (although I got Emerald in 2005 can't recall using Sceptile outside of shoddybattle back in the day) as I like the new designs. But Cyndaquil, Oshawott, and Rowlet families are my favourites from their generations so I was very happy with this choice!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
I think I'll always be a sucker for Kanto and Johto. No newer starters really come close. The Kanto ones have those big eyes, chubby forms and relative simplicity, while Johto's are the opposite with more vivid colors, more dynamic designs and an edgier vibe (except for the Chiko fam lol).

Kanto might win since I love all base and mid evos there.

Actually, honorable mention to Kalos where I love all final evos.

soulzzii

We don't wanna watch the news, we just read statem
Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 16, 2023
Seems like everyone forgot about legends with scarlet and violets announcement within the same month lol

ngl, i rank the hisui starters pretty close to the original, i think only thyplosion i would rank higher because of their ghost typing, but in general i dont think they change that much lol

Years
  • Age 20
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jun 9, 2023
Hoenn (which I find odd, because Gen 3 is otherwise one of my least favorite gens). However, my favorite individual starter is Oshawott.

Overall:
- Kanto: All of them are pretty good, though I like Squirtle the most
- Johto: I like Cyndaquil and Totodile a lot (especially the former), though I am neutral towards Chikorita
- Hoenn: All three have great designs; Treecko is the highlight
- Sinnoh: My second favorite starter trio; I like them all, especially Chimchar
- Unova: Good (just brush Tepig under the rug...)
- Kalos: Solid all around, though I don't like Froakie quite as much as the others; I have to say Chespin is my favorite
- Alola: Litten is the only one I really like, although Popplio is acceptable
- Galar: Scorbunny is the only one I really like, although Grookey is acceptable
- Hisui: Two of my absolute favorite starters were reused in this region, although it also reuses my least favorite Grass-type starter

Last edited:
Years
Oh yeah, Hisui was great. Didn't think of it originally since the first forms were all existing starters but the final forms are all really good - I love Typhlosion.

Also going to give some love to Kanto.. not because of Charizard but because I absolutely adore Wartortle, and Ivysaur is also amazing. ❤️

Years
I would say Johto. That's probably the only trio, where I can't say one Starter is worse than the other two. Unova and Kanto would be close second.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Sep 5, 2023
This is a tough one for me. Probably Kanto, because obviously, but gosh darnit I love every mon in the Johto trio as well. Yes, Chikorita as well, and Chikorita may be my favorite of the three base forms.

Back