• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Years
What is the Chesslocke?

It's Nuzlocke variant inspired by Chess. You can catch up to 16 Pokémon. One is consider King, one Queen, two Bishops, two Knights, two Rooks, and eight Pawns. I'm don't remember whole rules, but each Pokémon could only use limited number of moves determinated by how you can move the chess piece in real game - Bishop can move in 2 directions, so Pokémon that became Bishop can only use 2 moves. The pawn can't evolve, but if it solos major battle it can be promoted to other role. If King faints, it's game over...

Now that I remembered it, I feel like trying it again :D

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
It's Nuzlocke variant inspired by Chess. You can catch up to 16 Pokémon. One is consider King, one Queen, two Bishops, two Knights, two Rooks, and eight Pawns. I'm don't remember whole rules, but each Pokémon could only use limited number of moves determinated by how you can move the chess piece in real game - Bishop can move in 2 directions, so Pokémon that became Bishop can only use 2 moves. The pawn can't evolve, but if it solos major battle it can be promoted to other role. If King faints, it's game over...

Now that I remembered it, I feel like trying it again :D

Sounds like a challenge for sure. I would probably make a Pawn have a move like Outrage or Snowball/Rollout. If it can only use one move at least make it something that hits hard. You won't be able to switch out though...

Years
Sounds like a challenge for sure. I would probably make a Pawn have a move like Outrage or Snowball/Rollout. If it can only use one move at least make it something that hits hard. You won't be able to switch out though...

That's actually good idea :D If you could pull out the Outrage and solo Gym Leader, you could promote it to other role... Now that sounds easy XD

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
That's actually good idea :D If you could pull out the Outrage and solo Gym Leader, you could promote it to other role... Now that sounds easy XD

Just make sure you don't do it against Fairy types. And you could use Uproar too just beware of Ghost types.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Feb 28, 2018
Any market for nuzlocke on YouTube?

Hello, Pokemon community. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Nuzlocke challenges recently and I've found them to be super fun. I've had so many misadventures and funny incidents, as well as interesting luck that I've been considering sharing them. My question is basically does anyone really watch nuzlocke playthroughs? would seeing a particular nuzlocke playthrough on youtube interest you? and if not what can make them interesting(playing your favorite game, additional challenges, editing, commentary, etc.), or if there's just no market at all.
Any kind of feedback from this Pokemon community is valuable. Thank you for any and all responses!

Years
Hello, Pokemon community. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Nuzlocke challenges recently and I've found them to be super fun. I've had so many misadventures and funny incidents, as well as interesting luck that I've been considering sharing them. My question is basically does anyone really watch nuzlocke playthroughs? would seeing a particular nuzlocke playthrough on youtube interest you? and if not what can make them interesting(playing your favorite game, additional challenges, editing, commentary, etc.), or if there's just no market at all.
Any kind of feedback from this Pokemon community is valuable. Thank you for any and all responses!

Hi, I moved your post in discussion :) Personally I don't watch anything Pokémon related on Youtube, so I can't say if people like it or not.

SilverLeafeon75

Type diversity? What type diversity?
Years
I am right now going thru Pokemon Platinum, but I want to replay Pokemon Pearl. My Plan is to do a Mono-Eeveelution challenge. The game plan would be breed Eevee's in Platinum, trade them over to pearl, hatch them (So they do not have the trade boosted exp and disobedience,) trade them back to platinum, evolve them, trade them back, get them to level 5, then move past Sandgem town. I would rotate Leafeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Glaceonm and an unevolved Eevee.

Have any of you done an Eeveelution only run, and if so, how did it go?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I am right now going thru Pokemon Platinum, but I want to replay Pokemon Pearl. My Plan is to do a Mono-Eeveelution challenge. The game plan would be breed Eevee's in Platinum, trade them over to pearl, hatch them (So they do not have the trade boosted exp and disobedience,) trade them back to platinum, evolve them, trade them back, get them to level 5, then move past Sandgem town. I would rotate Leafeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Glaceonm and an unevolved Eevee.

Oooh, it's been a minute since I did one of those. I think it was gen III when I did, so I was able to have all the Eeveelutions at that time, plus a normal Eevee. It was??? Okay? It was so long ago though, I barely remember. I was still a kid, aha. I imagine it would be even more fun now with more, or even just in Platinum. Good plan on trading them over to evolve and then back though because waiting on the Ice Rock is literal hell.

Side note, I once did a challenge where my only team members were Leafeon and Roserade and it was pretty damn awesome. That was actually the first challenge thread I ever made here, aha. I don't really want to search for that relic, though.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
So, what is the general opinion on those monthly challenges at this point? Literally no one signed up for February's, and I'm just wondering if they are worth continuing. I'll still try to run special events every so often regardless, just need to plan (some ideas would help too!).

Years
So, what is the general opinion on those monthly challenges at this point? Literally no one signed up for February's, and I'm just wondering if they are worth continuing. I'll still try to run special events every so often regardless, just need to plan (some ideas would help too!).

I really wanted to participate, but unfortunately my school workload was heavier than I anticipated :( I know I won't be able to participate in any challenges until at least May (and even then, it depends on what kind of job I get over the summer)

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018

Probably my favorite challenge. I currently have an Eeveelock Relay Challenge going in the Challenge logs. I recently had to start over because I lost a save but it was fun and I definitely want to continue it later.

[P.S. I've been thinking of reviving the Eeveelution challenge. I just need the time.]

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
If I may make a suggestion, I think doing them monthly, even if they're smaller and just little post-game things and not having to restart the game, is too frequent. It doesn't make them very special and there doesn't need to be an event every single month, especially when people are doing other challenges in the mean time. I used to run events based on upcoming holidays or major events (I did one for like...football season of all things? lmfao) which usually went really well. I think that putting in more time and thought to a large event every few (3-4? just depends) months rather than a smaller one every month will make them stand out more and attract more people. They'll be like a treat instead of something expected every single month where they can come to be stale quickly.

I would be more than happy to help come up with something! I never got around to it in my time, but I had always wanted to do a cute summer themed challenge event in June or July, and that is the next major thing coming up that's a good way away to properly plan.

Last edited:

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
If I may make a suggestion, I think doing them monthly, even if they're smaller and just little post-game things and not having to restart the game, is too frequent. It doesn't make them very special and there doesn't need to be an event every single month, especially when people are doing other challenges in the mean time. I used to run events based on upcoming holidays or major events (I did one for like...football season of all things? lmfao) which usually went really well. I think that putting in more time and thought to a large event every few (3-4? just depends) months rather than a smaller one every month will make them stand out more and attract more people. They'll be like a treat instead of something expected every single month where they can come to be stale quickly.

I would be more than happy to help come up with something! I never got around to it in my time, but I had always wanted to do a cute summer themed challenge event in June or July, and that is the next major thing coming up that's a good way away to properly plan.

That was basically my thought as well. I may try to put something spring-themed together at some point next week, because rushing is more fun.

I think I'll probably look to the Time Warp Challenge for inspiration. So, each set might have "All of your Pokemon must have one of these 5-6 types (for spring, probably Grass, Water, Fairy, Ground, Flying, maybe one more?)", "You MUST use a [theme here]-inspired Pokemon (which can be any type) (so for spring, probably flower, which means Venusaur, Vileplume, Belossom, Roselia, Roserade, Florges, etc.)", and "you may not use these 3-4 types, even if the Pokemon also has one of the allowed types, unless it counts as the mandatory theme-inspired Pokemon (probably Fire, Dark, Poison, and maybe one more, though Plume/Venu/Roserade can still be used because they are flower inspired)." This isn't quite as open-ended as the old monthly challenges, but still less restrictive then, say, a Monotype (because you have 5 types to pick from here).

This approach would mean that it would require a new save file, but three months is plenty of time to do a challenge like this imo. Plus, I can bribe people to participate with prizes (I was thinking maybe a cool Pokemon for people who finish the challenge, I do have one in mind...).

What does everyone think of this? Would you participate?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Prizes always help -- especially when they're not emblems. I did shiny Swablu for an event one year, but they were raffled off. There were emblems too ofc, but a shiny Swablu is so much better, ahaha.

I think letting the event run for three months (if I understood that right?) is a little overkill though? I know spring lasts about that long, but idk, it seems like a long time for one event. Perhaps a month and a half? Two max? Because then if you did a summer event, just assuming ofc, it wouldn't come right after the spring one. It doesn't hurt to have some time without an event going. Just a little breathing room, you know?

I myself would try to participate though, sure. If the parameters seem fun -- and like I said, a prize is always nice to go after. ;) Flowers fit spring well, perhaps someone on the team needs to have Rain Dance/Drizzle for April Showers? An Easter-themed Pokemon (bunny/chick? tho that's limiting)... I'm just throwing out ideas lmfao.

Years
About the Monthly-Mini Challenges...

I tried to make them as much as people wanted them - not starting new game, duration for one month and new one each time the last one ends were all the things that people wanted and agreed on in this thread. There was even a attempt to have something like points system and prizes. Inkblots was in charge of the points and Tek in charge of the prizes. There is still hidden thread for points (or at least there was when I left).

The problem was that people wanted these events, but then almost noone participated in them, but when I skipped one month, people asked me why there's not one for a month.

IMHO the best one was Halloween one, which was more of the normal event that this type of Monthly-Mini and most people participated in it.

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
About the Monthly-Mini Challenges...

I tried to make them as much as people wanted them - not starting new game, duration for one month and new one each time the last one ends were all the things that people wanted and agreed on in this thread. There was even a attempt to have something like points system and prizes. Inkblots was in charge of the points and Tek in charge of the prizes. There is still hidden thread for points (or at least there was when I left).

The problem was that people wanted these events, but then almost noone participated in them, but when I skipped one month, people asked me why there's not one for a month.

IMHO the best one was Halloween one, which was more of the normal event that this type of Monthly-Mini and most people participated in it.

Will confirm - still a hidden thread for that :P

See, the whole "not needing a new file" thing and the short time frame are the reasons I didn't join them tbh. Interrupting what I was doing in a given run for the sake of some weird sub-challenge. felt... Odd?

I agree the Haloween challenge was the best. It was really a good idea and pretty much what I was trying to replicate here. I think it's worth a shot to see who signs up though.

Years
Will confirm - still a hidden thread for that :P

Destroy it! I don't even know why I let it live XD

See, the whole "not needing a new file" thing and the short time frame are the reasons I didn't join them tbh. Interrupting what I was doing in a given run for the sake of some weird sub-challenge. felt... Odd?

Yeah, it put me off of the many of them too, because I just didn't want to play Sun (only version that I had completed at the time).

I agree the Haloween challenge was the best. It was really a good idea and pretty much what I was trying to replicate here. I think it's worth a shot to see who signs up though.

Look at old events from Sydian and Necrum. That's what I did and pretty much combined few Halloween events into one. But I feel 3 months are too much. I remember doing Summer-themed Challenge on different forum and set it to 2 months... And it was too much. Few completed it in the first month, then everyone forget about it and returned in the last week, tried to complete it, but noone did in the end.

Years

That was actually so people's current challenge runs wouldn't be interrupted lol the idea was that whatever challenge you were currently doing, you could just incorporate the monthly challenge on the side in that same save, so you could in theory participate every month without being limited to only ever doing monthly challenges... if that makes sense

I guess it didn't end up working out that way lol I didn't have a chance to participate in any of them after the first couple so I never actually saw how that played out in practice

Back