Competitive Pokémon The forum designed for all of your competitive Pokémon battling needs! Here you can battle, discuss, participate in events, receive help on your team, and much more!

Old 5 Days Ago (6:25 PM).
No Justice! No Peace! #MON6GOD
  • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm

Mega Diancie is now available for use. With the change to Mega Evolution Speed mechanics this generation, all variants of Mega Diancie can now freely run four moves that are not Protect, opening up a range of possibilities from offensive Stealth Rock to Heal Bell to Sharpen. Offense finally has a viable Magic Bouncer to use, too, and the buff to Diamond Storm (50% +2 Defense, not +1) is also nice. Not sure how it will fare in Ubers at this point, given the prevalence of fatter teams with support Arceus-Ground, but it will definitely have a niche there. What are you going to use on Mega Diancie? Any ideas for teammates and the like?

former daily staff // former social media teamster // former battle server admin // former btb moderator

Relevant Advertising!

Old 5 Days Ago (10:57 PM).
Our shared past, and our...lost future.

Nature: Jolly
    While Mega Diancie was a fun mega to use last gen, the sad news is that it probably doesn't have the same going for it this time despite not having to run Protect anymore.

First off, the meta in Sun/Moon is much bulkier and Diancie doesn't have a free target in Talonflame anymore, meaning that Mega Diancie will have a harder time breaking through threats despite its base 160 offensive stats. Pokemon such as Chansey and Ferrothorn can absolutely wall it, while new walls like Celesteela and Toxapex can give it a run for its money. As well as this, it faces stiff competition from the Tapus and Magearna as a decent Fairy-type, and struggles to even KO the Tapus with Moonblast, even with entry hazards up (Diamond Storm does less damage with the current EV spread). Here's some calcs:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Lele: 160-190 (56.9 - 67.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Tapu Koko: 229-270 (81.4 - 96%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
    252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 189-223 (67.2 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery
    252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Fini: 144-171 (41.9 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Speaking of Magearna, it's one of the many Steel-types that are prominent in OU. Pokemon such as the aforementioned Celesteela and Ferrothorn, as well as Jirachi, Skarmory, and Mega Scizor all threaten to kill it, though Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn to have to be careful with HP Fire, and Magearna and Jirachi need to watch out for Earth Power. In fact, Assault Vest Magearna serves as the most reliable counter to Mega Diancie, being able to take an Earth Power and kill it with Flash Cannon.

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Earth Power vs. 200 HP / 252+ SpD Assault Vest Magearna: 102-120 (29 - 34.1%) -- 1.6% chance to 3HKO
    56 SpA Magearna Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Diancie-Mega: 468-552 (194.1 - 229%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Dugtrio is also a major problem as well, because it can trap it and then remove it with Earthquake. In order to survive even a Tectonic Rage, Diancie would have to be invested into HP, which is then wasting one of its amazing base 160 stats. However, Rock Polish builds can catch Dugtrio on the switch and then kill it with Moonblast, removing it from the game. However, it will have to watch out for Focus Sash:

252 SpA Diancie-Mega Moonblast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dugtrio: 243-286 (115.1 - 135.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO

However, Mega Diancie is still a threat, capable of checking common threats such as Charizard-Y, Volcarona, Tyranitar, Zygarde, and most Garchomp sets, thanks to its type combination, good base 160 speed-tier, and powerful STAB, but it is still threatened by Earthquake if it fails to get the KO. I think it'll still make a splash in OU, but not quite in the same way it did last gen thanks to the likes of Celesteela and Magearna completely stopping it. It'll probably be ranked as B+ on the viability rankings.

And I don't even care if this team is heavily weak to Fire, but it's carried me so far to even winning some tournaments!
    Old 5 Days Ago (5:22 AM).
    • Super Moderator
    • Battle Server Staff
    • Platinum Tier

Nature: Modest
    A wait and see mon tbh. We'll know exactly how good Diancie is pretty soon I think. Personally, I'm on the fence on how I think it will be. It's typing isn't the best, but it has really nice STAB moves and decent coverage to cover it's weaknesses. It also has the offensive stats to make it a serious threat. That said, I feel like a lot of the strong Pokemon right now just outright beat it.

One thing that it does have going for it though is the Diamond Storm buff. If it gets a Defense boost Dugtrio has a much harder time just coming in and checking it and taking it out.

A Pokemon that is discriminated!
    Support squirtle and make it everyone's favourite.
    Old 4 Days Ago (12:51 PM).

Being an offensive Magic Bouncer with good coverage will make it always relevant, especially with mega evolution speed mechanics changes, but its viability will always be hindered by the ubiquitous presence of Steel and Ground types, kind of like Nihilego.

It's not exactly countered by Ferrothorn though, since HP Fire rips out like 2/3 to 3/4 of its health. Still works as a check though.

Always liked Mega Diancie though, maybe will try to make a team with it sometime.

"Heh, I'm not scared of you!"

D&DTourney6th Gen
    Old 2 Days Ago (7:02 AM).
    Skip to my loo(m)
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Naughty
    While new additions are unfavorable to it, a skilled player can use Mega Diancie to wreak havoc on an unprepared team. Most of its checks can be dealt with by running the right moves. Dugtrio is deadweight if Diancie picks up the Defense boost from Diamond Storm, or if it gets in a Rock Polish. Sharpen allows Diancie to muscle past Chansey. Ferrothorn can still check but can't counter if Diancie runs HP Fire. Overall many prominent threats in the tier can handle Diancie decently well, but most will need to be wary of the set Diancie is running. This unpredictability will give it a solid niche in OU imo. While Sableye will remain the premier bounce user for bulky teams, Diancie will be great as an offensive SR setter or general utility Pokemon for more offensive teams that can't afford the drain in momentum Sableye comes with.
    Old 17 Hours Ago (11:49 PM).
    No Justice! No Peace! #MON6GOD
    • Gold Tier

Nature: Calm
    I have tried Mega Diancie in Ubers and am a bit disappointed. It is still good, checking prevalent threats such as Yveltal and Ho-Oh and being able to 1v1 Earthquake-less Mega Salamence and, before Mega Evolution, Marshadow, but it has more problems this generation. Marshadow's influence has caused the usage of Dark-types Mega Diancie would be able to take on, such as Arceus-Dark, to dip. Stealth Rock Arceus-Ground becoming more common makes Diancie a worse hazard deterrent, as Diancie is not switching into Arceus-Ground unless it is feeling frisky and wants to, quite literally, engage in the Pokemon equivalent of playing God. Arceus-Ground being pretty much the only Arceus forme that fits on defensive teams further reduces Diancie's effectiveness. More Pokemon that wall Mega Diancie, such as Celesteela, are also common in Ubers. I am not going to make a definitive judgement on its impact just yet, as it's a bit early and it still hasn't been used in many high-level matches, but I don't think it's going to be all that impactful.

former daily staff // former social media teamster // former battle server admin // former btb moderator
    Quick Reply

Sponsored Links