Sideshow Showcase The place to show side-projects that you're working on, for the small yet still big things you want to do, such as translation patches, "386" patches, and anything small like that.

TrollandToad.com

Old July 30th, 2017 (3:08 PM).

Just finished this mod today. I have to say, this is probably one of the best Gen 1 rom hacks out there. Kudos for all the complete new features you've added like Wonder Trade and expanding the pokedex. Gen 1 has always been one of my favorites, but unfortunately it hasn't aged that well. This hack remedies a lot of that.

Anyhow, while I know this is a work in progress and I'm looking forward to the next update, there are a few bugs I noticed playing the latest version that haven't been posted yet in the last couple pages. Figured I might as well point them out now:

- When exiting Route 11 towards the seaside route, if you pass through the lower part of the gatehouse door you end up walking on part of the fence. You don't get stuck, but it does look a tad odd.

- Magmortar's dex entry describes it as the Ass pokemon, for some reason.

- When selecting 'area' in the dex, you occasionaly get taken back to the menu instead.

I could give some more expansive feedback if you want, but right now I just wanna say thanks for the great work you've done already. This ranks up there with Pyrite as one of my favorites I guess

Relevant Advertising!

Old July 30th, 2017 (4:24 PM). Edited July 30th, 2017 by Mateo.
    Johto Region Champion

Nature: Quiet
      I've already got the walk-onto-a-fence bug fixed in my working copy, so it will be in the next update. Are you sure you're playing v2.4.1 though? Pretty sure I fixed the "Ass Pokémon" typo already. It should tell you the version number on one of the little text screens with Pikachu if you go to "New Game".

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently that is still in v2.4.1, it's only my working copy that has it fixed.

"I'm gonna, uh, demonstrate the hot moves..." - Flannery

Old August 12th, 2017 (11:18 AM). Edited August 13th, 2017 by PkMn Trainer Murasaki.

I Just Took Down Misty!
        All Thanks To Charmeleon!
        Bulby Died On Her First Pokemon , Nidogod Died , I Think... , On The 3rd Or 4rth Pokemon , And Gyarakarp Died On The 5th Pokemon And Charmeleon Survived On Red HP Both The 5th Pokemon And Lapras. Then , I Used The TM Misty Gave Me To Replace Leer (Which Replaced Splash) With Water Pulse.

Edit:
        This Game Forces Me To Change My Mons' Moves Even When I Don't Want To.

Edit2:
        Apparently It Was Because I Pressed B On "Give Up Learning The Move?"
        Old August 13th, 2017 (6:28 AM).

Well I just got very lucky buying the Magikarp from the guy before Mt. Moon...

i.imgur.c o m/SoWwvH7.png

Had to post link like this since I don't have 5 posts. lol
          Old August 13th, 2017 (7:12 AM).

Nature: Careful
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by Dayfid View Post
            Well I just got very lucky buying the Magikarp from the guy before Mt. Moon...

That's coded to always be shiny.
            Old August 13th, 2017 (7:22 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
              Ah ok, Thanks for letting me know! I guess this should be updated then?

https://github. com /TheFakeMateo/RedPlusPlus/blob/master/README.md#q-where-do-i-find-shiny-pok%C3%A9mon
              Old August 13th, 2017 (11:07 AM). Edited August 13th, 2017 by PkMn Trainer Murasaki.

So.........
                Many........................
                Golbats..........
                (The Way To Lavender)

Edit:
                After Evolving , Charizard Gained The Nickname "CHDRMELEON"
                Old August 14th, 2017 (12:21 AM). Edited August 14th, 2017 by Mateo.
                Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by PkMn Trainer Murasaki View Post
                  So.........
                  Many........................
                  Golbats..........
                  (The Way To Lavender)

Edit:
                  After Evolving , Charizard Gained The Nickname "CHDRMELEON"
                  If you're meaning that as a bug report, that's the first I've heard of anything resembling that. Are you sure you applied the patch to a normal Red Version rom? If you applied it on top of an older version of Red++ there is no telling what sort of things might get corrupted, since it wasn't meant to be applied that way. But the string "CHDRMELEON" does not appear anywhere in the rom if it is patched correctly.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Dayfid View Post
                  Ah ok, Thanks for letting me know! I guess this should be updated then?

https://github. com /TheFakeMateo/RedPlusPlus/blob/master/README.md#q-where-do-i-find-shiny-pok%C3%A9mon
                  Yeah, I do need to update the Readme. And I'll need to update it a lot more once v3.0 is eventually ready, though that's still a long way off. I'll get the readme updated to mention that event shiny, though, and check for any other things that might be off about it.

EDIT: Updated that part of the Readme. It should be accurate for a while, anyway.

Old August 14th, 2017 (12:47 AM).

Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
                    If you're meaning that as a bug report, that's the first I've heard of anything resembling that. Are you sure you applied the patch to a normal Red Version rom? If you applied it on top of an older version of Red++ there is no telling what sort of things might get corrupted, since it wasn't meant to be applied that way. But the string "CHDRMELEON" does not appear anywhere in the rom if it is patched correctly.

Yeah, I do need to update the Readme. And I'll need to update it a lot more once v3.0 is eventually ready, though that's still a long way off. I'll get the readme updated to mention that event shiny, though, and check for any other things that might be off about it.
                    Not Really A Bug Report , Because I Think It Was Because I Sped Up When He Evolved.
                    And The Latest Version Is The One I Started In , So Patching On An Old Version Is Impossible.
                    Old August 14th, 2017 (1:27 AM).
                    Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                      Not Really A Bug Report , Because I Think It Was Because I Sped Up When He Evolved.
                      And The Latest Version Is The One I Started In , So Patching On An Old Version Is Impossible.
                      Still not sure how that could've happened. Because, again, that string does not exist in the rom at all, anywhere (I checked v2.4.1 just to make sure it wasn't a typo. It isn't in the source code, it isn't in the compiled rom, it just isn't there) and it would seem like any bug that was arbitrarily overwriting part of the Pokemon's name when it evolved would show up everywhere, or at least more often. So I don't know.

Old August 14th, 2017 (9:20 AM). Edited August 15th, 2017 by PkMn Trainer Murasaki.

Quote:
                        Still not sure how that could've happened. Because, again, that string does not exist in the rom at all, anywhere (I checked v2.4.1 just to make sure it wasn't a typo. It isn't in the source code, it isn't in the compiled rom, it just isn't there) and it would seem like any bug that was arbitrarily overwriting part of the Pokemon's name when it evolved would show up everywhere, or at least more often. So I don't know.
                        Another Thing I Forgot To Say , I'm Reading It As Chedermeleon

Edit:

I Meant Cheddarmeleon
                        Old August 15th, 2017 (4:06 AM).
                        Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                          Another Thing I Forgot To Say , I'm Reading It As Chedermeleon

Edit:

I Meant Cheddarmeleon
                          That sounds about right, haha.

Old August 15th, 2017 (11:49 AM).
                          PkMn Trainer Murasaki PkMn Trainer Murasaki is offline

Quote:
                            That sounds about right, haha.
                            Yeah , It's A Real Lol , Even Though I've Renicknamed It Fuego
                            Old August 19th, 2017 (12:50 PM).

Nature: Timid
                              Excellent rom hack i have a great time playing it, looking forward for the next update in the future :D
                              Old August 23rd, 2017 (7:28 AM). Edited August 23rd, 2017 by Ninjorf.
                              Friendo

Nature: Adamant
                                Will I be able to patch the next update over my current one?

Also, you may already know this, but if the day care man has an egg, and you swap the pokemon that the lady is holding, you can get the egg of the new pokemon. I just took back my togetic, gave her sneasel, and immediately got a sneasel egg. It's NBD but I thought you might want to know.

Also: I got a shiny sneasel and bred it. I only ever got back another shiny male sneasel. Never female. Never not-shiny.

Name: Van
                                Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                Old August 23rd, 2017 (5:20 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2017 by Mateo.
                                Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                                  Originally Posted by Ninjorf View Post
                                  Will I be able to patch the next update over my current one?

Also, you may already know this, but if the day care man has an egg, and you swap the pokemon that the lady is holding, you can get the egg of the new pokemon. I just took back my togetic, gave her sneasel, and immediately got a sneasel egg. It's NBD but I thought you might want to know.

Also: I got a shiny sneasel and bred it. I only ever got back another shiny male sneasel. Never female. Never not-shiny.
                                  No, IPS patches are always meant to be applied to a clean rom for each new release. And sadly, no, v3.0 will not be compatible with v2.x.x saves anymore. Way too much is changing about the rom and structure of the save file in between. But, like I've said before, v3.0 still has a long way to go before release, and enough will be changed that it would be worth starting over when the time comes.

As for the comment about breeding, that was just interesting luck. Shininess is still based on DVs, and DVs are passed down from the parents, with a chance for random change. Since your Sneasel was shiny and the Day Care Man's Ditto was shiny, there was naturally a very high chance that they would produce a shiny as well. And there is still the chance for either gender. However, that is still determined by DVs as well, and while Sneasel does have a 50/50 chance to be either gender in the wild, the DVs of your male sneasel and the Day Care Man's Ditto are going to result in the offspring being Male unless the attack DV gets selected as the one to be randomly mutated, and that mutation results in a value that would make it female.

However, breeding is being completely reworked for v3. It will have two Day Care slots like normal, actual egg groups, passing down Egg Moves, and gender/shininess is planned to be moved to a new personality value instead of being tied to DVs (the same thing Polished Crystal did), and DVs are also going to be expanded to be more like modern IVs. Some of this is already partially in place in my working copy, some of it still needs to be done, but yeah. So while there are still some quirks leftover from the way things were handled in v2, they shouldn't be an issue anymore in v3. And of course, those newly added stats are among the reasons why old saves won't be compatible with v3 as I said before.

Old August 23rd, 2017 (9:02 PM). Edited August 23rd, 2017 by longlostsoldier.

Hey-ho.

I swear I remember you making noises about possibly wanting to port All Pokemon Follow (with separate happiness for each poke based on hp exp) over from Yellow at some point if I got it working, so I want you to know that I did. I still need to get around to actually creating a github account :) but all the necessary code plus a fair few pokemon walking sprites is in my yellow tutorial, if perhaps not quite as well organized as it could be.
                                    I'm still planning on tweaking it, such as by adding more pokemon sprites (ideally would want one for each eevee evolution for instance, maybe even every pokemon at some point), and definitely looking into switching to using a table to load followsprites instead (would be more neat/efficient), but it technically works, and I've personally found that removing the pikachu-specific parts to be even easier than I thought it would be.

I have no expectations that'll you'll be doing this any time soon, since I know tracking down every little bit of code that needs to be ported and finding space for it can be a pain, but if you did, it would be a nifty feature.
                                    Evo-Yellow: 151 Evolve Raichu Hack, uses the Yellow Disassembly. Play as girl, ride a pokemon, special/physical, dark/fairy/steel types, new pokemon, gen 2 sprites, evolve Pikachu into Raichu and have them still follow you with new Raichu emotion sprites!
                                    Yellow Hack Tutorial
                                    Fire Yellow - A FireRed Hack & Yellow Remake with Following Pikachu
                                    Old August 24th, 2017 (1:17 AM).
                                    Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by longlostsoldier View Post
                                      Hey-ho.

I swear I remember you making noises about possibly wanting to port All Pokemon Follow (with separate happiness for each poke based on hp exp) over from Yellow at some point if I got it working, so I want you to know that I did. I still need to get around to actually creating a github account but all the necessary code plus a fair few pokemon walking sprites is in my yellow tutorial, if perhaps not quite as well organized as it could be.
                                      I'm still planning on tweaking it, such as by adding more pokemon sprites (ideally would want one for each eevee evolution for instance, maybe even every pokemon at some point), and definitely looking into switching to using a table to load followsprites instead (would be more neat/efficient), but it technically works, and I've personally found that removing the pikachu-specific parts to be even easier than I thought it would be.

I have no expectations that'll you'll be doing this any time soon, since I know tracking down every little bit of code that needs to be ported and finding space for it can be a pain, but if you did, it would be a nifty feature.
                                      I was indeed interested in following Pokémon being included at some point, probably using their menu sprites to save space even if that means they don't change directions (but all will have a unique sprite) so I will take a look at it. I was planning on adding happiness as well, but not using HP exp, just a new happiness byte since I'll be changing the mon structs anyway. Since v3 will already have to be in dev for a long time anyway, may as well look into that while I'm at it. Thanks for letting me know. Can you link me to the tutorial you mentioned?

Old August 24th, 2017 (9:36 AM).
                                      longlostsoldier longlostsoldier is offline

Quote:
                                        I was indeed interested in following Pokémon being included at some point, probably using their menu sprites to save space even if that means they don't change directions (but all will have a unique sprite) so I will take a look at it. I was planning on adding happiness as well, but not using HP exp, just a new happiness byte since I'll be changing the mon structs anyway. Since v3 will already have to be in dev for a long time anyway, may as well look into that while I'm at it. Thanks for letting me know. Can you link me to the tutorial you mentioned?
                                        It's in my signature, "Yellow Tutorial", unless that isn't showing up for you for some reason. Honestly, all you really need to do is alter the normal pikachu checks: have a check for the first pokemon in your party (including whether or not it's fainted, so the pokemon will disappear on fainting), change the happiness check, and have a dynamic image loading function depending on what that first mon is and use it for both outside-map-loading and inside-map-loading.

And, that's a good idea, changing the mon structs to include happiness. Better than my idea. Using menu sprites would probably be a lot more space-friendly too, and it was one of my first thoughts but would take more digging in the code and I just wanted to get a simple version up. Another in-between option would be to just have those 3 direction sprites for mons, then they'd change direction and it'd be only one more image in the set than the menu sprites normally have, they'd just lack walking animations
                                        . I looked and I found there's nothing actually stopping you from having your menu sprite also have extra sprites that it doesn't use in the menu but can be used in walking. Of course, another compelling reason for using 2-image menu sprites is that then you wouldn't have to develop full walk sprite sets; that is a bit time consuming.

This question probably belongs in Polished Crystal instead, but since you folks have a shared world, if you manage to port it to Red would there be any chance of it also getting ported to Crystal?
                                        Evo-Yellow: 151 Evolve Raichu Hack, uses the Yellow Disassembly. Play as girl, ride a pokemon, special/physical, dark/fairy/steel types, new pokemon, gen 2 sprites, evolve Pikachu into Raichu and have them still follow you with new Raichu emotion sprites!
                                        Yellow Hack Tutorial
                                        Old August 24th, 2017 (5:46 PM).
                                        Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                                          Originally Posted by longlostsoldier View Post
                                          It's in my signature, "Yellow Tutorial", unless that isn't showing up for you for some reason. Honestly, all you really need to do is alter the normal pikachu checks: have a check for the first pokemon in your party (including whether or not it's fainted, so the pokemon will disappear on fainting), change the happiness check, and have a dynamic image loading function depending on what that first mon is and use it for both outside-map-loading and inside-map-loading.

And, that's a good idea, changing the mon structs to include happiness. Better than my idea. Using menu sprites would probably be a lot more space-friendly too, and it was one of my first thoughts but would take more digging in the code and I just wanted to get a simple version up. Another in-between option would be to just have those 3 direction sprites for mons, then they'd change direction and it'd be only one more image in the set than the menu sprites normally have, they'd just lack walking animations
                                          . I looked and I found there's nothing actually stopping you from having your menu sprite also have extra sprites that it doesn't use in the menu but can be used in walking. Of course, another compelling reason for using 2-image menu sprites is that then you wouldn't have to develop full walk sprite sets; that is a bit time consuming.

This question probably belongs in Polished Crystal instead, but since you folks have a shared world, if you manage to port it to Red would there be any chance of it also getting ported to Crystal?
                                          In the TODO.md file in Rangi's repository, you'll see that "First Pokémon walks behind you (comet's prototype and diff)" is in the list, so it is at least considered for the future. I don't think this would be quite as relevant to Rangi though. Red and Yellow are still a lot more similar than Yellow and Crystal are as far as the code goes.

And yeah, I figured that using the menu sprites would save space, especially since the plan is to do what a lot of gbc hacks have been doing and giving each of them unique sprites. I'm not very good at drawing Pokemon, so I certainly don't want to try to draw hundreds of new frames to give every Pokemon 3 directions, the other frames wouldn't even match the front-facing ones I have from other people. And of course, that's still a lot of space in the rom. It'll take more than an entire rom bank just for the menu sprites themselves, so adding full walking sprites for all Pokemon would add up in a hurry

As for the link in the signature, gotcha. To be honest, I pretty much don't even read people's signatures anymore and yours has tiny print so I didn't even notice there was a link there. I just sort of skimmed over it without reading. Sorry about that.

Old August 24th, 2017 (7:15 PM).
                                          longlostsoldier longlostsoldier is offline

Quote:
                                            In the TODO.md file in Rangi's repository, you'll see that "First Pokémon walks behind you (comet's prototype and diff)" is in the list, so it is at least considered for the future. I don't think this would be quite as relevant to Rangi though. Red and Yellow are still a lot more similar than Yellow and Crystal are as far as the code goes.

And yeah, I figured that using the menu sprites would save space, especially since the plan is to do what a lot of gbc hacks have been doing and giving each of them unique sprites. I'm not very good at drawing Pokemon, so I certainly don't want to try to draw hundreds of new frames to give every Pokemon 3 directions, the other frames wouldn't even match the front-facing ones I have from other people. And of course, that's still a lot of space in the rom. It'll take more than an entire rom bank just for the menu sprites themselves, so adding full walking sprites for all Pokemon would add up in a hurry

As for the link in the signature, gotcha. To be honest, I pretty much don't even read people's signatures anymore and yours has tiny print so I didn't even notice there was a link there. I just sort of skimmed over it without reading. Sorry about that.
                                            True. I haven't looked at crystal's code but I imagine it would be quite different to fully make use of the new gba system. Oh well, it just would have been nice, but I'm sure a crystal friendly full follow script will be developed eventually.
                                            You're right, having full walk sprites for all of them would probably be pretty unfeasible. Maybe I'll try hunting down where the code needs to be altered to have just two instead of a full walkset; I vaguely remember seeing the nurse joy special walkscript so that's almost certainly one of them. I'll tell you if I find them all / manage to make it menu-sprite friendly, although feel free to figure it out without me . I'm still learning things in asm, and I have a tendency to disappear off for months at a time distracted by other things anyway.

And it's all cool, you don't need to apologize for not reading my sig. Even if I was the most important person in the universe (whoever that is, maybe the galaxy has a secret emperor we puny humans don't know about ), it's still just a sig, I'm pretty sure most people skim them. I realize tone doesn't always come off across the internet, I wasn't offended or anything.
                                            Yellow Hack Tutorial
                                            Old August 25th, 2017 (2:41 PM).

Quote:
                                              Originally Posted by Rangi View Post
                                              Are we sure that's the case? I just bought the Magikarp with a full party, so he was transferred to the PC. Just took him out and found that is not at all shiny, so either there is a bug with getting him with a full party or it just has a higher chance of being shiny.
                                              Old August 25th, 2017 (5:24 PM).
                                              Johto Region Champion

Quote:
                                                Originally Posted by cenasmgame View Post
                                                Are we sure that's the case? I just bought the Magikarp with a full party, so he was transferred to the PC. Just took him out and found that is not at all shiny, so either there is a bug with getting him with a full party or it just has a higher chance of being shiny.
                                                Sounds like there might be an oversight in my force-shiny code, because he is coded to be a forced shiny and it works when he is received in your party. I'll keep that in mind for v3, but that's a minor enough thing that it probably doesn't warrant a new release patch just to fix that. Thanks.

Old August 27th, 2017 (10:10 AM).
                                                Friendo

Nature: Adamant
                                                  Please please please please please please please do away with the double team/minimize spam on hard mode. It's not challenging it's just an obnoxious waste of time.

Name: Van
                                                  Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage
                                                  Old August 27th, 2017 (5:38 PM).
                                                  Johto Region Champion

Location: Willow Creek, Sims 4
                                                    Quote:
                                                    Originally Posted by Ninjorf View Post
                                                    Please please please please please please please do away with the double team/minimize spam on hard mode. It's not challenging it's just an obnoxious waste of time.
                                                    That's Dabomstew's "Smart AI" trying to setup, and that's going to be replaced in v3. And on top of that, Hard Mode will be reworked in a lot of ways to focus on actual difficulty instead of fake difficulty. Don't worry!

Quick Reply