• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Alternative starter trios

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
If you would put together a trio from existing pokemon (not fakemon) to be a starter trio in whichever pokemon media you prefer, games or anime or manga or other, what 3 pokemon would you pick and why?

They don't have to be grass-fire-water type (:

Years
as "overpowered" as it may be to do so, I still think it'd be interesting to start off with three Dragon-type Pokemon. There's enough Dragon-types that you can mix things up however you like I think; Bagon can be one, Dratini can be one, Deino can be the other, etc.

Generally speaking though, having Dragon-type starter trios would be hella interesting.

Arjay

#GoStags
Years
I often think about this. The two I like most are Ice, Flying, Fighting and Water, Ground, Electric. For example:

Vanillite, Vanillish, Vanilluxe
Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon
Machop, Machoke, Machamp

Spheal, Sealeo, Walrein
Sandile, Krokorok, Krookodile
Elekid, Electabuzz, Electivire

Years
  • Seen Sep 1, 2023
Idk if, at this point, anything could be as iconic as Grass-Fire-Water, but if I had to come up with a new one maybe Rock-Fighting-Flying

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 3, 2018
With the existing starters, I think Rowlet, Torchic, and Piplup would make a cute trio, since all three of them are birds.

Years
  • Age 122
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
Larvitar, Bagon, Beldum Pseudo trio

Dratini, Goomy, Deino Dragon trio

Marill, Houndour, Electrike Water, Fire, Electric trio two staged because screw Azurill

Teddiursa, Cubchoo, Pancham bear trio

Dialga, Palkia, Giratina not really

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
Years
The valid type triangles, aside from Grass/Fire/Water, are:

- Rock/Fighting/Flying
- Fire/Rock/Steel
- Grass/Poison/Ground

The first is a bit awkward, as most low-level Flying Pokemon are Normal/Flying, which would nullify the resistance to Fighting. Still, it's the most interesting as it doesn't repeat any of the standard starter types.

The hardest part with using existing Pokemon is balancing out the evolution requirements and such. The best trio I could come up with would be something like:

Geodude/Machop/Pidgey
Roggenrola/Timburr/Pidove

etc.

Years
When thinking of starter trios, all of these would be in different spin off games/other media which would differ from the main series.

Normal starter trio:
Minncino, Aipom, Munchlax

Desert Trio - for a desert region like Orre:
Cacturn, Hippopatas and Dwebble

Also, starter trios for Alola which aren't the ones we have already. Since my personal theory is that all of the starter trios we have are endangered/extremely rare, hence why we don't encounter them in the wild ingame (ignoring Friend Safari), what would the Kahunas usually gift to new trainers?

Possible trios:
Wimpod, Cubone (evolves into a fire type) and Fomantis

Dewpider, Salandit and Morelull

Poliwag, Fletchling and Bounsweet

Rockruff, Crabrawler and Komala

Grimer, Meowth and Diglett

Years
For anyone wondering, the non-starter Pokémon with similar evolution patterns to existing starter Pokémon are:
  1. Pidgey → Pidgeotto (Level 18) → Pidgeot (Level 36)
  2. Mareep → Flaaffy (Level 15) → Ampharos (Level 30)
  3. Ralts → Kirlia (Level 20) → Gardevoir (Level 30)
  4. Slakoth → Vigoroth (Level 18) → Slaking (Level 36)
  5. Starly → Staravia (Level 14) → Staraptor (Level 34)
  6. Shinx → Luxio (Level 15) → Luxray (Level 30)
  7. Lillipup → Herdier (Level 16) → Stoutland (Level 32)
  8. Fletchling → Fletchinder (Level 17) → Talonflame (Level 35)
…So, you can't really form a trio of interlocking counters with this like you could with the official starters, but it's worth keeping in mind!

It's also impossible to exactly replicate the dynamic between the three traditional starter types using other types, come to think of it, since you'd need to have a set of three types where each of the three types has a Resist/Resist/Weak distribution of matchups with the types in the set, with each type in the set being the weakness of exactly one of the three.

.Eclipseon.

Ascensionverse Author
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I'm going to go out on a limb and do just a little region juggling, but I've had this one "common mixer" in mind for a few years for a fanfiction I haven't yet gotten to write:
- Houndour (Dark/Fire)
- Shroomish (Fighting/Grass)
- Slowpoke (Psychic/Water)

Still covers all of your bases, and you get another round-robin of type advantages that are both traditional and invert upon evolution once shroomish evolves into belroom.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 6, 2018
After a bit of thinking I decided to look at Pokémon that had three evolutions, evolved at around the same level. One Bug, one Grass, one Rock. Venipede, Hoppip, and Larvitar being the closest.

Arma

The Hyena
Years
In the fan-game I'm making, I'm using Spoink, Phanpy & Teddiursa.
All three have pretty comparable stat totals, and they are all neutral against each other. The animals they are based on all have rather keen senses, mainly their smell. So I'm using that as an additional theme for them.

With some touch ups to their exact evolution levels, base stats, and movepool, I think these three make for interesting partner Pokemon.

Lord Flamingo

Hmm, pretzels.
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Apr 13, 2018
I'd say Staryu, Vulpix, and Sunkern. Weird trio, and they all need elemental stones to evolve.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Ive always wanted to see a Fire, Ice and Water trio. Fire hurts Ice, Ice hurts Water(via Freeze dry move) and Water hurts Fire like always. For the trio, I'd do Vulpix for Fire, Alolan Vulpix for Ice(learns Freeze Dry naturally as opposed to breeding in the move) and a pure Water type like Panpour. All three starters do not evolve unless given an Evolution Stone.

Back