• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. :P I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
Okay, so here's an odd request for you guys. I'm looking for something that will let me edit the moves in a japanese romhack. There's no english patch, so playing through it is...interesting. I should be able to manage fine though, since its pretty much just the plot of fire red. The PROBLEM is that battles are a pain, because I don't know whats happening at all. :P I know what moves my pokemon have, because its pretty easy to figure out based on the type and power, but my opponents...not so much.

In THEORY, I should be able to edit the move names to english ones, but I don't have a tool that will work on a japanese rom. Everything I've tried so far doesn't play nice with it. Or, well, I'm ASSUMING its a language problem. It may very well not be, I've never done this before. @_@

EDIT: I tried one of the tools on an unpatched japanese rom, and same result. So I am assuming its not an issue with the patching.

Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.

How would I go about to change the number of Map Names on a Romhack? I can't seem to figure it out.

It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Most of the tools here are for English roms, and the offsets are most likely different. I don't know where the offset for the moves names are stored (they are independent of the actual move data), but it should be simple enough to convert a move's japanese name into hex, and search for it with a hex editor. You could then change the name accordingly, through hex editing.

Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?

droomph

weeb
Years
Is it possible you could point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to do that?
The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
It requires a fair amount of editing the hex structure of the rom...There's a "tutorial" floating around in the research and development thread, I think. I attempted to put it in my rom hack, but it just messed up everything. Feel free to try it, if you want.
Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate ^^

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
The charmap for Japanese should be easy to understand, as it is the kana chart (which is the Japanese alphabet if you didn't already care). It's "あいうえお", then "さしすせそ" (or something), and it's pretty straightforward from there, and it should take you about fifteen minutes to get the charmap figured out.

So once you've figured that out, you take the hex values corresponding to the letters, and in a hex editor find the hex values (e.g. for "いいえ" you would search up "02 02 04", and change it however you wish, and you can repoint if necessary.
I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ^^;

redriders180

Years
I meant the hex editing bit. I don't know how to do that, or what it means exactly. ^^;

Here is a basic overview of finding and replacing words with a hex editor...It's uses an english rom, but it's the same concept for a japanese rom...However, japanese characters don't seem to be built in to an english rom, so you'd have to have another way to find out what each japanese character is in hex.

Where might this be? I tried to find something like it a long time ago, but couldn't. I appreciate ^^

This is what I used...it's difficult because just a plain Firered rom has space for only 196 names...108 names for Firered, and the remaining 88 names for locations in Hoenn (for compatibility). The tutorial on there has two options; either replacing the Hoenn names, or adding onto the list entirely.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2015
So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

Any tips would be appreciated. :)

redriders180

Years
So I'm kinda new to scripting. And by "kinda new", I mean completely new. I have the concepts down, and I'm working on a storyline before I even begin to start writing script.

Two questions. Both related to event scripting. I searched for both, and neither were answered very well.

1. So, you know the "grayscale" palette that's used during the flashbacks of what you did before your last save? Well, is there any way to use that while events are going on? Such as, to show a flashback sequence? I'd like to know if it's possible and how difficult it would be, so I can alter my storyline a bit as to not include that part.

2. How would you go about making the camera warp to a different map to show an event that's happening at the same time in a different location? My idea is that once the player enters the cave for the first time, the camera will warp to a different location while the screen fades out, and an event will be shown all the way across the map, and then the player will regain control back in the cave. I know there's a command to do this, but I couldn't find it anywhere.

I can try to help you with your second question. The best way to make a camera "warp" to a different place is to warp the player there, and immediately hide him using what we call a level script, which is a script that activates when you enter a map. There are different kinds, one being a script that activates once you warp into a building. There's also a kind that activates the very instant you enter a map, even before the fade effect has finished. You'd use the second kind to hide the player, and the first kind to start your script immediately. once the script is finished, warp the player to the entrance of the cave. Before you tackle that, i'd read up on level scripts.

As for your first question, I don't know any conventional, simple way to make that occur. Of course it's possible, but it requires tinkering with the games internal coding.

Quickster

Dream or Drop?
Years
  • Seen Apr 4, 2016

This is actually quite simple, if you look at this thread.
http://wahackforo.com/t-Hacer-el-efecto-Gris-para-un-FlashBack

Years
  • Seen Jan 14, 2015
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll look into this. I'm wanting to try to make the intro part over my break next week. I think I got a quite different storyline in mind.

GoGoShinyDunsparce

And Flounderp too!
Years
I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

Thanks!

Nidote

Nido-Nut
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2016
Okay, I tried taking a look around and I don't think there were any answers to this but here goes.

Are there any basic hacking tools for Heartgold/Soulsilver? Nothing major like changing entire maps, I'm mostly only interested in editing pokemon, wild encounters (and their levels), trainers and optionally moves but the ONE tool I've seen so far is an editor that only works for gym leaders... on the japanese versions.

So yeah, is HG&SS just programmed so differently it makes it impossible to work with or has nobody just had an interest in doing tools or something? :>

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
Years
I was playing with maps in firered. I implnated a new map in the game, and every time I select it it says "canvas cannot be drawn on" or something like that. The menus can be a bit...stubborn....in the map, but otherwise I can still edit it, but I'm curious what this means.

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?

Years
How can you change the name of the maps in the map bank? For example, I apparently changed VIRIDIAN FOREST (1.0) in PALLET TOWN (1.0). How do I change this?

Go to the map in Advance Map, go to the Header tab, click on the first dropdown box, select Pallet Town, then click Change Name. Save the ROM, close A-Map, reopen and you should see your change has taken place :D

T4pSz.png

Years
  • Seen Sep 30, 2017
Thank you!
Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.
9rnjon.jpg

The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?

DrFuji

[I]Heiki Hecchara‌‌[/I]
Years
I'm having trouble finding this information anywhere: what is the maximum selectable area for the World Map in FireRed? I know the map itself can be up to 208x144 pixels, but what area of that can actually be accessed with the cursor during the game?

Thanks!

The total area that your cursor can access in the Town Map is 22 x 14 8x8 tiles. Basically this area is 176 x 112 pixels in size.

Thank you!
Next question: All of a sudden I can't get my outside-map tiles to be black. It works perfectly on all my other maps, but this one doesn't seem to get it.
9rnjon.jpg

The blue thing should be black. How do I solve thís?

That's because you're using the wrong type of block when making that tile. In FR's tileset 0 the top left tile looks to be entirely black, when in fact it is not. This is because the black that makes up the tile is being used as Palette 0's transparent colour. As such, when you apply nothing but that transparent 8x8 block when making the tile you are seeing 'beyond the tile'. If you wish to have a completely black tile that shows up in tileset 0, you are going to have to change one of the palettes associate with the tileset so that it has a (non-transparent) colour that is perfectly black.

You can see why the tile actually comes out as being black when playing in interior maps because tileset 12's palette 5 has a colour that is both black and not transparent which is used to make up the tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back