• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon Lightbolt Version - [Beta 2.1 Released!]

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
Ooh, I'm interested!

If you're looking for new tiles, but want to keep the old FR/LG style, there are some custom FR/LG tiles floating around. Pokémon Genesis, Pokémon Eclipse and Pokémon Sienna use some of these tiles. I think they're neat! However, I have no problems with the vanilla tiles, a lot of hacks that use them, turn out to be really good (Pokémon Vega and Pokémon Fuligin are just two examples).

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Ooh, I'm interested!

If you're looking for new tiles, but want to keep the old FR/LG style, there are some custom FR/LG tiles floating around. Pokémon Genesis, Pokémon Eclipse and Pokémon Sienna use some of these tiles. I think they're neat! However, I have no problems with the vanilla tiles, a lot of hacks that use them, turn out to be really good (Pokémon Vega and Pokémon Fuligin are just two examples).

Hey thanks for the feedback and suggestions. I'll probably stay with vanilla tiles, bar some few things that I'll add myself. New tiles will probably have to wait until my next hack (if there is one).

On the update side, I'm done making and inserting the Brock sprites, and I'm also finished some minor stat and learnset changes for some of the traditionally weaker Pokémon. I also did some level adjustments on Gym Leaders and fixed some tile and movement permission errors. All that's left for me to do is program one special feature and add some NPCs and we should be set for 2.1 (or whatever I call it - definitely not 3.0 though).

I'll try to get it out this week, but I have exams. Somehow working on ROM Hacking is my way of procrastinating?

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey all, I am done with Beta 2.1. Special thanks to ddrox13/Spirit Shackle for helping me test the earlier part of the game.

Here is the description, copied from the first post:

Beta 2.1
This version includes everything from the previous version, with a few minor additions and changes. Here is basically what changed (copied from Notes.txt):
  • CRAZY MAZE CAVE has been renamed to CRAZY HAZE CAVE and remapped
  • Changed a lot of stats and learnsets of available POKéMON
  • Changed a lot of after-battle dialogue with NPCs so that they make more sense
  • Added "Brock" walking sprites
  • Added COFFEE and PIKAXE sprites
  • Added a mining "minigame" (just RNG)
  • A few more minor tweaks

Also some Trainers have been "nerfed" so to speak. This includes Gym Leaders 3-5.

Balance is a bit wonky starting from the 3rd gym if you have 3 or more Pokémon, but that's just how it is right now. Nerfs are coming to 4th and 5th gym leaders once I do some more testing. As with last patch, pick Cacnea and/or raise multiple Pokémon if you're looking for a challenge. Pick one of the other two if you aren't.

Please report any concerns with the game to me. Thank you!

EDIT: Also I'll update screenshots when I get a chance to.

Last edited:

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
PIKAXE? Shouldn't it be PICKAXE?

Nope! Play the game and find out why! It's not a must-get item so you're gonna have to do a tiny bit of searching. But I will tell you that it is in a city.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey, just a mini-update on how this is going.

I've been working pretty hard on this the past few days, but most of it was patching up some old things that I wanted to patch up.

First is some beach tiles, which I have added to Gigabeach City. They'll also appear in the Routes north of Lamp City (Routes 10 and 11).
KAyCZzT.png
XuboRYP.png

Next would be the Pok?Dex area map. I totally forgot to add this when I first added the world map 2 years ago. Anyway, it's added now and Johto and Hoenn Pok?mon's Areas should be correct. As for Kanto Pok?mon, I'll have to edit the wild Pok?mon data for every single Kanto Route and then some other stuff, so there may be a few extra "red spots" on the Dex at the time of this post. It may get fixed soon.
6EZPgnR.png

Lastly, I've been working on a few new areas. I don't really have anything to show for this, since I haven't added NPCs to them yet. Here's a cliff place:
DHRNfk8.png

Really, there's nothing too much. If you look at the world map, there are some water areas near where the player would have to go next. A lot of that will be available in the next Beta. Look forward to some exciting stuff coming soon!

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey all,

One of my friends found a bug. It occurs when you talk to the blackboard in the school in Greenbig City and softlocks the game. Do not talk to this blackboard unless you want your game to be softlocked.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jan 30, 2019
Can anyone help me out? It seems I'm stuck at Ordinary town. Can't go west because I don't have rock smash. I have the first two badges and I'm not sure if I need rock smash or if i need to go another way? I swear I've talked to every person up to ordinary town. Thanks in advance!

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Can anyone help me out? It seems I'm stuck at Ordinary town. Can't go west because I don't have rock smash. I have the first two badges and I'm not sure if I need rock smash or if i need to go another way? I swear I've talked to every person up to ordinary town. Thanks in advance!
You do not need Rock Smash. Try to recall which house the Rockets went into and also take a hint from one of the other residents of the town. Read carefully!

Will Day and Night be in this?
Unfortunately, no. Apologies.

Allen Ceedos

The Old School PokeFan
Years
I played this game recently & it was fun :) I like that you included Gen 3 mechanics, am a big fan of that generation, while offering a fresh story in a new region to be explored. An official from the Pokemon League being the one to give players their Starters & the Pokedex, that was a nice touch. No running off to do something first THEN getting the Pokedex haha & the mini game with the Pickaxe is cool. When can we expect the next installment to pop up?

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
I played this game recently & it was fun :) I like that you included Gen 3 mechanics, am a big fan of that generation, while offering a fresh story in a new region to be explored. An official from the Pokemon League being the one to give players their Starters & the Pokedex, that was a nice touch. No running off to do something first THEN getting the Pokedex haha & the mini game with the Pickaxe is cool. When can we expect the next installment to pop up?
Nice, glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :)

As for the next installment, I can't say for sure. First of all, I'm not sure how much I want to include in the next installment (definitely up to 6th gym, but I don't know if that's enough "content"). I have some areas beyond the 6th gym mapped out as well, so maybe I'll go a bit further. I don't really have the time to be putting a lot of effort into this at the moment (basically next 4 weeks I'm probably going to be busy), though I'll probably get a random jolt of motivation some time within the next few months to pump out a new beta.

Allen Ceedos

The Old School PokeFan
Years
Nice, glad to hear that you enjoyed it! :)

As for the next installment, I can't say for sure. First of all, I'm not sure how much I want to include in the next installment (definitely up to 6th gym, but I don't know if that's enough "content"). I have some areas beyond the 6th gym mapped out as well, so maybe I'll go a bit further. I don't really have the time to be putting a lot of effort into this at the moment (basically next 4 weeks I'm probably going to be busy), though I'll probably get a random jolt of motivation some time within the next few months to pump out a new beta.

No problem, I guess we might as well bet on that random jolt of motivation to happen asap lol what you put out so far is good, so I'm sure even if the next beta is only up to the 6th gym + those areas beyond, it'll be neat as well :D take your time & once it's ready, we'll be here for it.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 27, 2020
Eh it was good up until the 4th gym area, then I can't find anywhere to go no matter what. Lost complete interest.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Dec 6, 2022
Hey i have been stuck after the second gym as when i go to the haze cave it is blocked and i can't get rock smash. Sorry as you said to not ask others but i have been stuck for 2 weeks. help me out Thanks and great hack btw so i don't want to rage quit.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
Hey i have been stuck after the second gym as when i go to the haze cave it is blocked and i can't get rock smash. Sorry as you said to not ask others but i have been stuck for 2 weeks. help me out Thanks and great hack btw so i don't want to rage quit.

I didn't put any rocks near the Crazy Haze Cave. You might be thinking about the Linklater Cave, which isn't where you are supposed to go. Try exploring Rockhill City more and see if you can find out where you're supposed to go next.

Years
  • Age 44
  • Seen Dec 6, 2022
after you go to ordinary town and then follow the grunt it takes me to the north of that city and the only place to go in the north of the city is haze cave and i doesnt allow me to proceed

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
There are some custom Gen III tiles that are a mix between the R/S/E tiles and FR/LG tiles, if you want, you could use them. But, even Vanilla, this hack looks good and I am sure I'll love it.

5qwerty

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2024
after you go to ordinary town and then follow the grunt it takes me to the north of that city and the only place to go in the north of the city is haze cave and i doesnt allow me to proceed

It should let you proceed - are you sure you're looking carefully? In parts of the cave you have to go left or right and the tiles may be hard to see.

There are some custom Gen III tiles that are a mix between the R/S/E tiles and FR/LG tiles, if you want, you could use them. But, even Vanilla, this hack looks good and I am sure I'll love it.

Yeah, I've seen some of those, they are cool. I think at this point I'll just selectively add in some things, since it's not really worth a total re-haul.

I'm currently working on some scripts, hopefully I can get something rolling out for this by this year.

PkmnTrainerElio

Years
It should let you proceed - are you sure you're looking carefully? In parts of the cave you have to go left or right and the tiles may be hard to see.

Yeah, I've seen some of those, they are cool. I think at this point I'll just selectively add in some things, since it's not really worth a total re-haul.

I'm currently working on some scripts, hopefully I can get something rolling out for this by this year.

Cool, I'm looking forward to the full release!

Back