• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll get Black 2 in Japanese and both in English. I guess my English B2 will be my storage game and the other two will be for playing through over and over. Weehee.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually don't like to do challenges on my first playthrough of a new game. I wanna just enjoy the game as is first. XD

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I usually don't like to do challenges on my first playthrough of a new game. I wanna just enjoy the game as is first. XD

That's the exact same with me xD
I usually choose one version to have just a regular playthrough and eventually buy the other version for challenges. It just seems weird to me to do challenges the very first time; I just enjoy being able to pick any of my favorite Pokemon and have a nice, easy, smooth first playthrough with the ability to easily explore every aspect of the game.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I usually have one or two games each generation become storage and then everything else is free range for regular playthroughs or challenges. For example! My HeartGold, Diamond, and Platinum are storage games in gen IV. My Pearl, SoulSilver, other HeartGold, and other Diamond and for playing through. n___n I need to make Platinum not storage anymore though, cause it's so good to play through. YES I have too many games lol. That's what happens when you're a PokePackrat, RNGer, and challenger. :(

Does anyone make up stories and such for their characters? I usually do, especially for challenges because I like to think of a reason as to why they're doing this challenge. To be a gym leader? Was it a dare? etc. Like the Challoween one, my character and his rivals (played by Bianca and Cheren obv) played along with this creepy story they heard about a guy that made it to the Pokemon League on Halloween. And so they decided they'd all go through the region to see if it'd happen. Though, rivals being rivals, they both picked on Cedric (my character) for his odd and creepy choice in Pokemon (because of the criteria your Pokemon had to meet for the challenge) though ended up prevailing and proving more than what they had anticipated at the Pokemon League. HURR.

Enigma

[i][font=Noto Serif][color=#e2ad53]The [color=#d94
Years
I usually do the same. But I think my first playthrough of a 5th gen game was a green monocolor on White for the event that was going on at the time. I didn't really have time to do a normal playthrough first, so I decided to just do the monocolor anyway.

11wildy

Me!
Years
I do like doing challenges. My first Black run was a monotype Grass run. Now it would be a good time to finally finish my mono water UMC, since I only need to do Black still.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Speaking of a UMC, what do you guys think about ultimate challenges now? Will BW and B2W2 both have to be included because they're so different? Or just pick one out of the 4? I never do ultimates, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion.

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Speaking of a UMC, what do you guys think about ultimate challenges now? Will BW and B2W2 both have to be included because they're so different? Or just pick one out of the 4? I never do ultimates, but I'd like to know y'alls opinion.

I don't do ultimate challenges either, but I see them as doing the challenge in each region, and I don't think that Unova in B2W2 has enough differences to warrant an addition to ultimate challenges. Plus, you don't want to make everyone who has already completed an ultimate challenge have to play 2 extra games (BW and B2W2) in one generation.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That's how I feel about it too. Though, if I were to ever do an ultimate, I'd probably choose B2W2 over BW just because there is more Pokemon selection. ;)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I don't do ultimate challenges either, but I see them as doing the challenge in each region, and I don't think that Unova in B2W2 has enough differences to warrant an addition to ultimate challenges. Plus, you don't want to make everyone who has already completed an ultimate challenge have to play 2 extra games (BW and B2W2) in one generation.
Region is the key word here, so my vote is that either BW or B2W2 would qualify for the fifth game.

That's how I feel about it too. Though, if I were to ever do an ultimate, I'd probably choose B2W2 over BW just because there is more Pokemon selection. ;)
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what kind of Pokemon selection there will be in the B2W2 games before I continue the rest of my monotypes. All I gotta say is, there better be a Lucky Egg somewhere!

11wildy

Me!
Years
I think either BW or Bw2 should be done. Same region etc. And I tend to use onyl Pokemon from that region in a monotype. So yeah, wouldn't make a very big difference then :3

Gulpin

poisonous
Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
Yeah, I'm waiting to see what kind of Pokemon selection there will be in the B2W2 games before I continue the rest of my monotypes.

If this helps, Serebii has a completed B2W2 Unova Regional PokeDex right here.

Also, now that I'm trying to be more active at PC I'm also going to start doing more challenges. I'm not sure if I should start all new challenges or try to pick up where I left up on some of them.

I was also thinking that some new and interesting challenges could come out of Pokemon Conquest. I'm not quite sure what type of challenges yet, but I think a monotype challenge on Conquest would be extremely difficult. It would be just a regular monotype - the Pokemon that all of your Warlords use must be of the same type. An exception to this may be Oichi, at least until you can link with new Pokemon.

jespoke

Still do monotype challenges once in a blue moon
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 10, 2020

I really think doing just 1 is fine, simply because all the pokemon in the new games are also in earlier games, giving it no new pokemon to use. And it seems half the game of B2W2 is in the same routes and cities as BW anyway.

Im back to do some challenges in my summer break that started today XD
Sorry i havn't updated in ages, i had exams and other stuff :/

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I wanna get on with my Pick Up and Play challenge, but I don't have anything I can use to play my copy of Red and I can't run my emulator. :( I should have just switched the order of my games, but I'm going away for a week soon so it's not like I'd have time to play anyway. Hurrrr. ;;

And before I get out my obligatory "I can't wait for my copy of Black 2 to get here" now that there's assist, regular, and challenge mode, when we put up challenges that are either for or include B2W2, we should make sure we start specifying our mode! I'm glad there's a challenge mode. It looks good, but not TOO hard and I can't wait to get on it. :D

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I wanna get on with my Pick Up and Play challenge, but I don't have anything I can use to play my copy of Red and I can't run my emulator. :( I should have just switched the order of my games, but I'm going away for a week soon so it's not like I'd have time to play anyway. Hurrrr. ;;

And before I get out my obligatory "I can't wait for my copy of Black 2 to get here" now that there's assist, regular, and challenge mode, when we put up challenges that are either for or include B2W2, we should make sure we start specifying our mode! I'm glad there's a challenge mode. It looks good, but not TOO hard and I can't wait to get on it. :D
Um, Assist, normal and challenge mode? what's that? A difficulty slider?

IWearHatsIndoors

They're comfy and easy to wear
Years

Sounds like a challenge idea. You should bring it up in CI&D sometime! k done advertising my forums lol

Well, I think I was told to go here! Please tell me if I'm wrong

When B/W2 will be released, I will be going to the nearest card shop and buying a booster pack of Pokemon cards. I will then have to use those specific monster cards through the whole game. I've come up with SOME rules for this type of game
1) If you find a pokemon (For example a Krokorok) You can catch the prevolution to evolve it. However, you would not be allowed to evolve Krokorok to Krookodile
2) You are allowed to use your starter up until you catch your first Pokemon. After you get your first pokemon you are not allowed to use your starter (Unless you get your starter in your booster pack)
3) If you get a Pokemon which is uncatchable in the game, you are allowed to get it by trading an egg or a Pokemon less than level 10.

Now, I need some help from you guys. I'd like to find a rule for legendaries, since getting one would pretty much make you get one less pokemon, and I'd also like to think of rules for Energies and Trainer cards, or would getting an Energy/Trainer leave you down a pokemon?
Also, I'd like to christen this with an appropriate name. Please give me feedback! And thank you!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
For legendaries, I mean, it's a big reward to find one in a booster pack, so I think they should be allowed. :o As for Energies and Trainers, I can't really think of anything. There are so many Trainer cards that if you tried to do something that corresponds to that card, it'd take you forever and a day to list them all. I guess you'd just be down a Pokemon? ;( Or, in the case of Energies, consider it a "wild card" and you get to pick a Pokemon of that type. But the Trainer cards are just so varied, it's hard to come up with a standard for them.

Also, for people that don't want to buy booster packs or just can't, but have cards, perhaps shuffle a bunch of them together and draw 6? Cause I find this challenge really interesting and cool, but I don't feel like buying booster packs just for the sake of it. But then you have to take in to account how people will put in legendaries and such to shuffle in and that could be a problem. ;( I probably wouldn't...I have a ton of decks I used to battle with and could easily use those, or get my sister to select about 30 cards from my book, shuffle them, and have me draw from it.

Also, I think it'd be cool if you require certain moves. Like some cards actually have a real attack on the card for the Pokemon to use, and if you have one like that, you have to use that move/those moves? Or make it totally optional. Haha, sorry I'm like...giving you so much lol. I just really love this idea for a challenge and wish I had thought of it myself. ;P

Edit: random names for the challenge blahhh

Booster Pack Challenge
Random TCG Challenge

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back