• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
Wait, what is intermediate? I've never heard of that.

Here, it's just Elementary > Middle School (or Jr High, but that's less common) > High School... and that's it.

Ah, here Intermediate includes the 4th, 5th, and 6th grades. Primary is 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Jr. High is 7th and 8th, and the Sr. High is 9th, 10th, 11th, and 12th.
Too weird? lol xP

If there were a government that supported SOPA/PIPA, but also supported complete equal rights for the entire LGBT community, would you support or vote for that government?

Don't make me RAGE. I wouldn't support it. I'd rather keep it as is and continue working towards equal rights for the LGBT community. I mean, SOPA/PIPA affects most everybody, including the LGBT community. It just sucks, and I'd rather not have SOPA/PIPA than have that wonderful amount of equality. I mean, even if the government supports it it doesn't mean all of the people do, and . . . well, I think it's a crappy trade-off.

Years
Dandy Andy, what in the world question was that? lol. Of course basic, fair, and equal rights of people come first and then we fight for everything else.

So, in other news there has been a strange case of a teen claiming that gay bashing forced him to sexually assault an 11 year old girl. [link]

Houston Chronicle said:
A Cleveland juvenile who is one of 20 people accused of sexually assaulting an 11-year-old girl admitted on Friday his role in the attack.

Authorities said the then-16-year-old defendant, whose name has been withheld, had felt "prodded" into the assault after being taunted that he was "gay."

I'm not sure if this is just a case of a kid trying to shift the blame to someone else or a real case of gay bashing having far reaching consequences, but it's awful either way. It also leads me to wondering something which I'd like to ask y'all. Do you think gay bashing is or will become a common excuse people use for their behavior? Could gay bashing become something people don't take as seriously in the future?

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Do you think gay bashing is or will become a common excuse people use for their behavior? Could gay bashing become something people don't take as seriously in the future?

I think it will become common if it works. If people use it as an excuse and it works, then others will try and use it as well. But if it used and any judges/juries think properly, and don't allow it to work, people won't try it anymore.

And I think gay bashing will continue to be considered a serious problem. It would only be considered less serious if gay people somehow became "second class" citizens, which I don't personally think will happen.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Scarf said:
Dandy Andy, what in the world question was that? lol

lol it was a legit question! It was designed to see how much ya'll want our equal rights. I also sort of disagree. I mean, it's such a unique opportunity. If we don't take that, then when? When's our turn?

Also, I am running low on ideas for things to ask lmao

Do you think gay bashing is or will become a common excuse people use for their behavior? Could gay bashing become something people don't take as seriously in the future?

I don't think so, to be honest. I can't see "they said I was gay so I had to prove them wrong" as something that would cross someone's mind unless it was true. Not that that justified what this boy did to this girl, but regardless I can't see it being used as an excuse. As to the notion of it being taken less seriously in general, I think it might be eventually - but only once we've progressed far enough that being gay in itself isn't seen as a big deal anymore

Pudz

Incredible Edible Vegetarian
Years
I'm not exactly content with the idea of using being teased over something as an excuse to flip out and do the wrong thing. That only propagates the negative ideals that make people taunt us in the first place.

We're better than that.

Years
lol it was a legit question! It was designed to see how much ya'll want our equal rights. I also sort of disagree. I mean, it's such a unique opportunity. If we don't take that, then when? When's our turn?
I know what you mean. Just thought it was funny with the whole SOPA/PIPA thing instead of... I dunno... one of those weird OVP type questions like "Would you give up one of your five senses to have equal rights?" or something.

Anyhoo. I worry (because I always worry) that gay bashing might become what some people are saying bullying in general is already: an tool that people use to attack people. Like you might get a bully saying "they gay bashed me!" about some kid that they bullied before that other kid has a chance to tell anyone. Whoever says it first gets believed because it sounds defensive to say: "No, you did it." So yeah. I worry.

Oh, but in good news it looks like Washington state over here in America is on the verge of legalizing gay marriage.

-Jared-

Years
Oh, but in good news it looks like Washington state over here in America is on the verge of legalizing gay marriage.

Oh really? That is great! Where did you here this? :3 Now this just needs to occur a couple states south...xD I can't wait until we see a ton of states doing this, if it happens in that manner.

Also, when I first read your post I accidentally took your post to mean Washington, as in, Washington DC, or the government itself, so I got REALLLLY excited. xD Was a bit of a letdown. xD

Years
I read about it here. It's not a sure thing, but given that Washington state is fairly liberal it wouldn't have too much trouble becoming law as long as they, ya know, actually had the guts to do the right thing.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Hopefully it goes through. Lord knows Alabama would be the last state to pass that law. ...I take that back. Maybe Mississippi would be last. But 49th still sucks.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I know what you mean. Just thought it was funny with the whole SOPA/PIPA thing instead of... I dunno... one of those weird OVP type questions like "Would you give up one of your five senses to have equal rights?" or something.

Anyhoo. I worry (because I always worry) that gay bashing might become what some people are saying bullying in general is already: an tool that people use to attack people. Like you might get a bully saying "they gay bashed me!" about some kid that they bullied before that other kid has a chance to tell anyone. Whoever says it first gets believed because it sounds defensive to say: "No, you did it." So yeah. I worry.

Oh wow, that's amazing. I'm hopefully going to be going to Digipen this fall, so I'll be moving to Washington before too long.

Shining Raichu

Years
I think it would symbolically mean more for Washington to legalise same-sex marriage than any other state because that's where the federal government is held. I realise that legally it carries no more weight than any other state legalising it, but I think it could potentially bring about the attitude of "well if Washington of all places has made it legal..." - it's certainly a good tool to use on talk shows if nothing else lol.

I think this could be a really good thing!

Years
I think it would symbolically mean more for Washington to legalise same-sex marriage than any other state because that's where the federal government is held. I realise that legally it carries no more weight than any other state legalising it, but I think it could potentially bring about the attitude of "well if Washington of all places has made it legal..." - it's certainly a good tool to use on talk shows if nothing else lol.

I think this could be a really good thing!
Washington State, which is what this is talking about, is different from Washington D.C. Sorry, I know it would be nice if the capitol had this, but alas, we Americans are still woefully behind much of the world.

Oh and while I'm here let me drop this little article: "For me it's a choice."

Shining Raichu

Years
Yeah I realise the difference lol, I still think my point could stand though. The state government and federal government are different things, but it would mean something - if only in a 'home-field advantage' sort of sense, for these debates on same-sex marriage on a federal level to occur in a state where it is already legal and functional.

As for Cynthia Nixon, I don't think she realises what she's done. I understand her point, but this is not an ideal world. We don't own the game yet, we're still playing it on the bigots' terms and whether she likes ceding the point to them or not, she's just given them a whole load of ammunition.

-Jared-

Years
Yeah I realise the difference lol, I still think my point could stand though. The state government and federal government are different things, but it would mean something - if only in a 'home-field advantage' sort of sense, for these debates on same-sex marriage on a federal level to occur in a state where it is already legal and functional.

As for Cynthia Nixon, I don't think she realises what she's done. I understand her point, but this is not an ideal world. We don't own the game yet, we're still playing it on the bigots' terms and whether she likes ceding the point to them or not, she's just given them a whole load of ammunition.

Lol, I think you still don't quite get it; Federal discussion would occur in Washington DC, whereas this discussion is happening in Washington state. Washington state is on the Pacific ocean, Washington DC is on the Atlantic. xD That is the point of Washington DC; it isn't a state, so the government is located on neutral territory. The citizens of Washington DC don't even get to vote. :\

As for Cynthia Nixon...I told my mom, when I came out to my brother, that I can tolerate gay jokes really well, SO LONG AS HEY DON'T IMPLY THAT IT'S A CHOICE. I think that sums up my feelings on that topic. >__<

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Washington DC

map_usa_states_washingtonDC.gif

Washington State

washington-map.gif

Oh Andy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Just so you know the D.C. stands for District of Columbia, which is the 'area' it's in. Since they didn't want the nation's capitol to adhere to a certain state's laws, the District of Columbia has its own little area that has its own laws. But it's not a state, haha.

Back