• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Spoilers] The Capture/Evolution/ Release, etc. Thread

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
Absolutely not. Lillie can leave the group and only be in specials with only vulpix as her pokemon.

The only one i see defeating ash at the league is Gladion who is an actual trainer.

I think that one more pokemon for ash's group (not lillie though) is fine.

Lillie is the main female character, and we've never had a main female with only one Pokemon. Since she's the main female and deuteragonist, and they're taking her down the route of being a trainer, she's more likely to catch another Pokemon than Mallow or Lana.

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Absolutely not. Lillie can leave the group and only be in specials with only vulpix as her pokemon.

The only one i see defeating ash at the league is Gladion who is an actual trainer.

I think that one more pokemon for ash's group (not lillie though) is fine.

No. Just no. Lillie is a great character, and Ash really isn't that great.

Years
Lillie is the main female character, and we've never had a main female with only one Pokemon. Since she's the main female and deuteragonist, and they're taking her down the route of being a trainer, she's more likely to catch another Pokemon than Mallow or Lana.

I think it is clear that Lillie being the main female means she likely will catch another Pokemon. Same could happen for Lana since she's now become a Z-Move user. Mallow is unfortunately the one getting shoved into the background so if she ends with only one Pokemon, I do want her Steenee to eventually become a Tsareena.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
I think it is clear that Lillie being the main female means she likely will catch another Pokemon. Same could happen for Lana since she's now become a Z-Move user. Mallow is unfortunately the one getting shoved into the background so if she ends with only one Pokemon, I do want her Steenee to eventually become a Tsareena.

An argument can be made that each Female protagonist can be the region's Female lead(although Lillie has the strongest argument due to having a blood relationship with Ash's main rival and the primary antagonist group in Aether Foundation(run by her psychotic mother)). Thing is Lillie has a fear of Pokemon so odds of her catching one are far slimmer than the other two. She would basically have to befriend it and be able to touch it before catching it(unless she catches it like Misty's Psyduck or gets it via Egg like Snowy). Lana owns a Z-Ring so the odds of her catching another Pokemon are quite strong(if Kiawe can catch one, so can she). Mallow, unfortunately, is now slotted into the same boat as Sophocles(an unfortunate outcome frankly since I liked her character the most). Both of their respective Z-Crystals reside with Ash(hence both are unlikely to get a Z-Ring because of that) and Sophocles owns 2 Pokemon, hence pointing to Mallow getting a 2nd Pokemon to match. Whether it will be next week remains to be seen.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 24, 2019
An argument can be made that each Female protagonist can be the region's Female lead(although Lillie has the strongest argument due to having a blood relationship with Ash's main rival and the primary antagonist group in Aether Foundation(run by her psychotic mother)). Thing is Lillie has a fear of Pokemon so odds of her catching one are far slimmer than the other two. She would basically have to befriend it and be able to touch it before catching it(unless she catches it like Misty's Psyduck or gets it via Egg like Snowy). Lana owns a Z-Ring so the odds of her catching another Pokemon are quite strong(if Kiawe can catch one, so can she). Mallow, unfortunately, is now slotted into the same boat as Sophocles(an unfortunate outcome frankly since I liked her character the most). Both of their respective Z-Crystals reside with Ash(hence both are unlikely to get a Z-Ring because of that) and Sophocles owns 2 Pokemon, hence pointing to Mallow getting a 2nd Pokemon to match. Whether it will be next week remains to be seen.

The difference between Lana and Kiawe is that Kiawe already had his Z-Ring before the series began.

SM014: Lillie obtained her first Pokemon
SM018: Mallow's Pokemon evolved
SM026: Sophocles obtained a second Pokemon
SM033: Lana obtained a Z-Ring
SM034: Kiawe obtained a second Pokemon

Since riding Stoutland was counted as Lillie's big accomplishment, and Ash obtained two new Z-Crystals, Mallow and Sophocles were the only ones not to get anything out of the trip to Akala.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
The difference between Lana and Kiawe is that Kiawe already had his Z-Ring before the series began.

SM014: Lillie obtained her first Pokemon
SM018: Mallow's Pokemon evolved
SM026: Sophocles obtained a second Pokemon
SM033: Lana obtained a Z-Ring
SM034: Kiawe obtained a second Pokemon

Since riding Stoutland was counted as Lillie's big accomplishment, and Ash obtained two new Z-Crystals, Mallow and Sophocles were the only ones not to get anything out of the trip to Akala.

From a character development standpoint, you'd be correct. However, I wouldn't say Mallow left with nothing gained. I mean if you ship AshxMallow, you got several notable scenes that support it. The Stoutland scene with Ash's pants(and Mallow doesn't look away) and then her accompanying him on his Akala Trial(and then stuffing her face with food on Kiawe's farm). What annoys me to no end is that they gave a 2nd Pokemon to Sophocles(via Ash), a character who hasn't contributed much of anything to the anime(in my opinion) and is only around due to being in the games.

Mallow, unfortunately, is going to follow in Sophocles' footsteps as being irrelevant. To try and give her a bit more relevance, Mallow will likely be the one catching a Pokemon next. While I'd like Ash to catch one, Mallow's character deserves more than what they've given her so far and I feel the writers will try and placate our displeasure by throwing a Pokemon her way. Whether it will come next week remains to be seen.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Fine by me. Ash is exhausted as a character. Time to let someone new be in the spotlight.
Nope. Ash will have the spotlight always. That is fact.

She is not. She is just an irrelevent character.

No. Just no. Lillie is a great character, and Ash really isn't that great.
That is not true. Lillie is a horrible character. Ash is superior by far. I am starting to think you are arguing with me on purpose. Please stop harassing me.

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
You've misread. I said put her in a special where she can have the spotlight. On your suggestion.

Irrelevant in what sense? You're throwing these accusations around with little to no weight behind them.

That is a lie. Lillie is a horrible character. Ash is superior by far.
Ash has gone through arc fatigue and that's a result of being kept on too long. He's static, with a generic personality latched on - all so he can fit the setting the writers are envisioning. Same thing happened to Misty who was relegated to Togepi's personal chauffeur. Same thing happened to Brock who was subject to extreme flanderization with falling in love with every girl, most notable during DP and was mercifully retired.

In contrast, Lillie has untapped potential and mystery surrounding her. Why does she have her fear? Why has her relationship with her brother deteriorated? What is she looking to do? There's lots of unexplored territory with Lillie that make her interesting.

I am starting to think you are arguing with me on purpose. Please stop harassing me.
Try having a debate and offering rebuttals with evidence instead of falsely accusing people of harassing you because they disagree with you.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
You've misread. I said put her in a special where she can have the spotlight. On your suggestion.

Irrelevant in what sense? You're throwing these accusations around with little to no weight behind them.

Ash has gone through arc fatigue and that's a result of being kept on too long. He's static, with a generic personality latched on - all so he can fit the setting the writers are envisioning. Same thing happened to Misty who was relegated to Togepi's personal chauffeur. Same thing happened to Brock who was subject to extreme flanderization with falling in love with every girl, most notable during DP and was mercifully retired.

In contrast, Lillie has untapped potential and mystery surrounding her. Why does she have her fear? Why has her relationship with her brother deteriorated? What is she looking to do? There's lots of unexplored territory with Lillie that make her interesting.

Try having a debate and offering rebuttals with evidence instead of falsely accusing people of harassing you because they disagree with you.
Lillie has no potential. She has no purpose in games or in anime. Pointless character to me.

Ash is design for the younger audience. Not the older audience. They want new fans watching him on the show.

I am not falsely accusing anyone. That person has been constantly replying and arguing with me. It got really annoying.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023

That is not true. Lillie is a horrible character. Ash is superior by far. I am starting to think you are arguing with me on purpose. Please stop harassing me.

Lillie has had more character development in 20 hours then ash has had in 20 years. And no, I'm not trying to target you, our opinions just differ. A lot.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Lillie has had more character development in 20 hours then ash has had in 20 years. And no, I'm not trying to target you, our opinions just differ. A lot.
No actually she didn't. Lillie is emotionless and unnecessary character. We already have lana, mallow, kiawe and sophicles in the group.

Ash has development. Just not the amount people expect him to have. He has certainly more than lillie throughout the whole show.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
No actually she didn't. Lillie is emotionless and unnecessary character. We already have lana, mallow, kiawe and sophicles in the group.

Ash has development. Just not the amount people expect him to have. He has certainly more than lillie throughout the whole show.

No, it's literally the same thing every season. He forgets how to battle, he leaves his pokemon behind, he gets a crush on the female character, loses the league, and it starts over again.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
No, it's literally the same thing every season. He forgets how to battle, he leaves his pokemon behind, he gets a crush on the female character, loses the league, and it starts over again.

It is not the same. He doesn't get a crush. Ash loses the league because they need a reason for him to move on to next region.

He has gotten better. He reached top 2 in kalos. Not to mention winning the orange islands league and BF.

So i say he has developed. Agree to disagree.

Quiji

Shining
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 6, 2021
Lol @ the Lillie bashing when out of the other SM chicks, she has the most relevance given that her mom is Lusamine and her brother is a recurring character. Btw, isn't obvious character bashing and bias against the rules?

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Lol @ the Lillie bashing when out of the other SM chicks, she has the most relevance given that her mom is Lusamine and her brother is a recurring character. Btw, isn't obvious character bashing and bias against the rules?

Character bashing or having innate bias on a particular issue is the cornerstone to debates. Furthermore, I don't recall anywhere that saying Lillie is a horrible character is against the rules. What is against the rules is throwing baseless claims or mudslinging those who may disagree with you on a particular matter.

To recap the Sun and Moon anime so far, Ash has 4 Pokemon(one of which has evolved and includes two starters), 4 Z-Crystals(Normal, Electric, Grass and Rock), passed four trials to acquire said Crystals, battled two Kahunas and has met his main rival in Gladion while being harassed by Team Rocket and the inept(bordering on irrelevant) Team Skull. Kiawe already has a Z-Ring and a Fire Z-Crystal and has 3 Pokemon(Turtonator, Alola Marrowak and his Grandfather's Charizard that serves as his rider Pokemon). Lana owns 2 Pokemon(Popplio and her rider Pokemon Lapras) and has a Z-Ring with a Water Z-Crystal. Odds are that she will be catching a Pokemon sometime soon to match Kiawe's progress but when that will be and what it will be I don't know.

Lillie only has Snowy to her credit but considering she had nothing to start with and her importance to the main plot line(related to Gladion and Aether Foundation(Mother)), it points towards future development(be it another Pokemon, Z-Ring... who knows). Sophocles has 2 Pokemon(one of which is thanks to Ash) but otherwise hasn't done much of anything since the series began. Mallow, unfortunately, is roughly in the same boat as Sophocles. The difference being that she hasn't caught a 2nd Pokemon. Instead her Bounsweet evolved(counting as the only Evolution in the Anime until Rockruff evolved a week ago). Clearly a sign this anime suffers from too many characters.

Although I'd like to see Ash catch another Pokemon and travel to the next island, I foresee two things happening before that occurs. 1) Mallow's Steenee evolves into its final form or she catches a 2nd Pokemon to match Sophocles. 2) Lana catches a 2nd Pokemon to match Kiawe's progress. Only then do I see Ash proceeding onto his next task.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Character bashing or having innate bias on a particular issue is the cornerstone to debates. Furthermore, I don't recall anywhere that saying Lillie is a horrible character is against the rules. What is against the rules is throwing baseless claims or mudslinging those who may disagree with you on a particular matter.
No one has thrown baseless claims or mudsliding anyone that disagrees with them. Not sure where this came from.

Anyway, i wonder if Ash is only having four pokemon this region. If there is no league then he doesn't have the requirement to have six pokemon. But this will break the pattern of him having six pokemon.

Years
Anyway, i wonder if Ash is only having four pokemon this region. If there is no league then he doesn't have the requirement to have six pokemon. But this will break the pattern of him having six pokemon.

Considering the small amount of new Pokemon to promote, the large cast of 5 classmates alongside Ash, and the unlikeliness of the Alola League even being a thing, I wouldn't be surprised if Ash has an incomplete team and therefore breaking his streak of a full regional team.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So far, Sun and Moon reminds me a lot of Orange Islands. Granted it was only 36 Episodes but Ash only caught 2 Pokemon: Lapras and Snorlax. He ultimately released Lapras after it found its family, hence there is a possibility of Ash releasing one of his Pokemon in Sun and Moon(anyone think its going to be Balto(aka Lycanroc) so that Kukui can study it?).

The difference though is that although Ash caught just 2 Pokemon(Lapras and Snorlax, while Tracey caught Scyther and Misty caught Poliwag), he already had Pokemon with him(Charizard, Squirtle, Pikachu and Bulbasaur). Being that Sun and Moon is a "Major region" and will have at least two seasons to its credit(if not three), the odds of Ash filling out his roster are above average. Remember that in XY, Ash didn't catch Pokemon #5 until Episode 55(we're at Episode 38 in SM so we got a long way to go before we can say Ash is taking too long in filling out his team). Pokemon #6 took until Episode 76 in XY so yeah... we have a long way to go folks.

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
So far, Sun and Moon reminds me a lot of Orange Islands. Granted it was only 36 Episodes but Ash only caught 2 Pokemon: Lapras and Snorlax. He ultimately released Lapras after it found its family, hence there is a possibility of Ash releasing one of his Pokemon in Sun and Moon(anyone think its going to be Balto(aka Lycanroc) so that Kukui can study it?).

The difference though is that although Ash caught just 2 Pokemon(Lapras and Snorlax, while Tracey caught Scyther and Misty caught Poliwag), he already had Pokemon with him(Charizard, Squirtle, Pikachu and Bulbasaur). Being that Sun and Moon is a "Major region" and will have at least two seasons to its credit(if not three), the odds of Ash filling out his roster are above average. Remember that in XY, Ash didn't catch Pokemon #5 until Episode 55(we're at Episode 38 in SM so we got a long way to go before we can say Ash is taking too long in filling out his team). Pokemon #6 took until Episode 76 in XY so yeah... we have a long way to go folks.
Absolutely no. Ash should not ever release another pokemon again. Greninja and Goodra are bad enough. Kukui doesn't need to study Lycanroc and should get his own one. Ash releasing Lycanroc or his other gen 7 pokemon would only make the alola saga worse which is already bad.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Guys would you get back on track? This thread is about catching and releasing pokemon, this entire page 8, half of it has been about a character not what they could catch.

Alexander, the way you speak, you sound like a selfish little kid who gets salty when they don't get their way. You can have different opinions, but saying everything sucks just because it is something you don't like is not how you discuss things. It is all the time, but in most cases it does sound like this.

As for no league, we don't know that. In the games, they formed a league while we were adventuring. It may not be an official League, but they could make a tournament or something to see who is a better trainers if they see how many good trainers there are.

Last edited:
Back