• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm A 15 Year Old who is just getting started on ROM Hacking and working on 3 Pokemon ROM Hacks Named Pokemon: Ash Sonic, Red Tails, and Player Knux,

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
My Questions I have here for this Thread to get Advice on are:
- What ROM Version or UI should I be using to make the ROM Hack or work on? (Im using 1.0 at the moment but I want to add Gen 4 Pokemon but I cant because YAPE and PGE aren't Recognizing my Pokemon in the ROM leaving Blank Spaces.)
- How can I make a Post Game Story (I'm Planning on adding a Distortion World Arc once people beat the Full ROM Hack once people beat the Extra Trainers you must Battle in order to get to Distortion World Arc's Story)
- How can I add Trainers or Pokemon to my ROM Hack so I could not Replace the Original Sprites with the Additional ones I'm Adding?
- How will I replace Overworld Sprites and Trainer Red Sprites?
- How could I make a Script and make Person Events walk up to you to speak and leave to a different Place that you can meet them at?
- How can I change the Intro to look alot like Pokemon Gen 4's (Platinum, Diamond, or Pearl) Intro.
- Will I have to Restart my work I did on my Original Version of my ROM to a new one?
- How can I add A Night Cycle?
- Are there other ways to add Music other than using AnvilStudio MIDI 0 Files for Sappy?
- Is there a Way I can port my ROM Hack to an EZ GBA Cartridge, and will it function the same way it does on PC or Emulators?
- How can I add 4 Starters? (the 4 Starters I plan on adding are the Obvious 3 Starters, Charmander, Squirtle, and Bulbasaur but I add a 4th Starter sitting next to the Pokeball Stand and in it is Pikachu)
- How can I add certain Animations to my ROM Hack?
- How can I change the Battle Backgrounds?
- How can I change Pokémon Cries to sound like the Anime or Modern Games? (I'm only changing Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbasaur, Pikachu, And Eevee's Cries)
- How can I add or Customize NPC's?
More Questions will be Asked once I get this Whole ROM Hack settled and Clear.
EDIT AS OF MAY 14 2022 SATURDAY 2:43 PM
Hey guys, been a Long time huh? I have recently turned 15 and have been through ALOT as of November - This Month as of now and it seems that I have NOT done much progress on this due to School and recent things I had to stress out about over the course, but now that Summers almost around the corner and I will be ready to redo all my Previous AWFUL Content of a Crapload I done as mistakes into something better. Hoping that I'll have this stuff done by Winter or so over the course but so far I'm really hoping I get this ROM Hack Finished and on the GO as Progress shall finally be redone and I would have to make up for my Mistakes I made in the Past and seem determined enough to have this ROM Hack done along with the other 2 Versions claimed to be Releasing apart from the Years as I plan on releasing Both Ash Sonic and Red Tails as of this Year or Early 2023, and Player Knux by Late 2023, Really having high hopes people will love this ROM Hack for its Story or so even though it may sound like a Bad Fanfic made by a 10 yr old (in which was kinda me when I made this Series in the first place as a Comic at Age 11 or so in 6th Grade...) it still may have Good Story upon its Expectations. Honestly seeing how ROM Hacking has come so far, my inspiration from Pokemon Reborn is to learn how to have different Endings, Custom Music, and YET again Distortion World and Giratina Animations....

Hopefully by the time I get back to working Order and pay much more Attention to how important of a Series this is to me, many will appreciate it and its Story and Oncoming Battles. Although I do have a few Tricks up my sleeve and Info to give out to many of what I plan to do with some Levels and Battles to make things as Challenging as many will expect this ROM Hack to be.

- Gym Leaders may have more than 2 - 5 Pokemon to begin with ( will not go for the first 3 Gym Leaders although they may have 3 Pokemon depending on their Personal Choice of Pokemon or Team to extend it a bit more)
This is just so things are a bit more Challenging and to show their Useful and Great Teams off at first Glance that way Rematch Teams wont have to be worried about.

- Gym Leader 7 may be a bit fun to go against and may have a lot more character to the Main Protagonist, for the Main Protagonist is actually Ash Sonic which is basically just Sonic wearing an Ash Hat and the 7th Fire Type Gym Leader is Mario, the 2 have more Script for the Game than the rest as planned due to how they were Close Friends at first Glance in the first place before Ash Sonic was even considered a Trainer, the Team for Mario is planned to be some Great Fire Type Pokemon that wont be noted until the Games Release. But the best part is that The Grand Finale from Mario and Luigi: Bowsers Inside Story will be playing in the background to make the Battle Music and all Intense and Everything.

- Champion is planned to be Hard and at a High Level of Lv. 80 or 70 or so to make it VERY Traumatizing and Challenging as Cynthia.
the reason why for this is so it can show the amount of training and Fury the Rival is in at this state to beat the Main Protagonist under any Circumstance possible and so many can hear that Cynthia Theme play for that Specific Champion

- DS Music and OSTs and Music Pieces from different Handheld Consoles or so are planned to appear and stay accurate to their Original Sound
I honestly need help with Importing Custom Music as I see almost ALOT of ROM Hacks have Music from the DS or so Imported to that Specific ROM Hack, and I really want to try that out for myself but I think I need more Help figuring out how to keep them as accurate as they sound in the Audio Piece from the other Handheld, if youre not sure what im talking about, im saying that im trying to have the Audio Piece sound the same as the one from the Original Sound so I wouldnt have to worry about using a MIDI

- Encounters like Gible and Psuedo Legendary Pokemon planned to appear in same Areas as Pokemon Diamond and Pearl Games does it like Caves or so...

- Some Characters may not be Human or may not be the Characters you expect them to be with some Personas or Character Development expected.
Usually because this is supposed to keep The Same Character the Comics do and keep the same charm the Original Comics did to honor them.

- Areas like Towns or so planned to have Music imported from Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, Emerald, and Black and White Series

- Sprites are to be Handmade ONLY and not stolen or taken from anyone except for some Trainer Sprites that come to mind, and shall be credited by the end of the day.

- Pokémon are to have a bit of a higher Stat and inspiration from other Pokémon stats used in other ROM Hacks but shall be addressed at some point.

- When ROM Hack Releases, Only thing to keep in mind are the Downloads and Links so others could be addressed of where to get the ROM or Patch itself.

- Mega Evolution , Z Stones, Gigantamax, or Key Stones May NOT happen or may happen depending on the Space and Story. It should be noted though that Red Tails and Player Knux may have them, though Gigantamax and Dynamax are NOT Planned to appear due to the Failure of SWSH and it's disappointment it lead to us fans.

- Graphics are planned to be a bit different and a bit high I guess, but only for the Water or Oceans, may occur for Grass as well but some Tiles may also have to be referenced to Diamond and Pearls Tiles.

Thus far there would be more things I'll address to this in the Mere time coming by but so far this is all I got. Hopefully by the time I finish up School and Everything I would have more spare time to work on this and more Advice from Friends and Family as I'm working on it. Thankfully I got my Best Cousins and Uncles who could and probably will help me out with the Story and Plot, and hey maybe you guys can help out two!! I'm sure hoping this will be worth the wait and the 2 Next Versions after it will be too!! So far work, Concept Art and Progress on it have been weak but I'm sure I have the Story all planned out and Concept Art to help and prove it.

Might show out some Concept Art here or on DeviantArt as I'm still trying to figure out how to use this site cause I'm an idiot and I could've figured that out months ago but hopefully I can get used to it.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
I recommend using a base such as in the sideshow forum that already has gen 4. Whether or not you need to redo your work depends on:
a. where you edited in the rom
b. where the patch edits.
IF there is no conflict then you can patch one on to the other.
There are tools that alter sprites. It's been a long time since I've hacked gen3, but there should be tutorials on this and other basic stuff. Go look for them.
However, I really recommend using the disassembly if you can. It has a bit of a learning curve but it's worth it.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I have not Specifically Patched them or added any Source Material for Patching and have just been Customizing Music, Sprites and Appearance on Towns through AnvilStudio 32 Bit, NamelessSpriteEditor, and AdvanceMap, There are more Sources I have used like HackROMTools - AdvanceMap, AdvanceSeries, AdvanceStarter, AdvanceTrainer, Unlz-GBA, Sappy, Mid2Agb, and PGE and YAPE. Yet I edited on Certain Parts like the Sprites by replacing the Youngster Trainers Sprite, The Auroma Ladys Sprite (Green Dress and Green Hat), and Gary/Blues 1st Encounter Sprite.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
But so far I have been using Tutorials when I started on this during July, I just needed help wondering if I needed to use a Different ROM or somehow Redo this whole thing but Thanks for the Help.

Mahian23

Behold my Supreme Power!
Years
Use Skeli's DPE+CFRU.It has all gen 1-7 pokemons and all great feature.If you have C knowledge,Than use decomp pokeemerald.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Okay, lemme try to explain again.
When you use a tool like advanced map, it makes changes to the rom, and if you look at rom base / patches with, say, 800+ mons already added, those will /also/ make changes to the rom. In particular, things like adding maps with Advanced Map will over-write free space, and that's the biggest culprit of conflicts because patch bases that, say, add pokemon will also write to free space, so there is a chance if you try to use them on the rom you modified (or on a fresh rom you patch with the patch first and then patch with your original rom's changes, which could be a nice way of backing up your work) they'll possibly conflict.

What I'd recommend doing is making a backup of your work, and make a patch of it that you can apply to a fresh rom (Firered 1.0 as it sounds like you are using), then try a patch that has the features you want on the fresh rom and the patch of your work you just made, and seeing if they conflict by causing crashes, since it sounds like you have no clue where in free space you may have written to with these tools. (It's possible all you've done is editing 'existing space' in which case it's probaaably fine, but there are no guarantees with patches; for instance, the changes you did to existing sprites are certainly fine, I think.)
I recall there was a patch awhile back that had a modified pokemon editor offered in the same thread recommended to deal with it, so one of the first things I'd do is look at the patch thread you're interested in and see if it talks about how pokemon are to be edited in it. They've changed things a bit since I hacked Firered several years ago but people have done a lot of work adding Gen 4 and such to Firered so you definitely don't 'need' a different rom, you just need to search around a bit and decide on what method you want to use to add pokemon.

I personally recommend a patch that already has a bunch added for you, but that's just me: I know there are other methods lurking around. There was a 'pokemon expansion tool', you might want to check it out.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
Alright I see what You're Saying so I understand so far what Both of you (MAIHAN23 and longlostsoldier) Are saying, I'll try out what both of you are Reccomending so far soon or Now but so far, Thanks for the Help.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
So by Backup of my Work, you Mean making a Copy of the File I used to edit and Pasting it to Apply the Patch and test it for any Errors?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jun 10, 2023
You might wanna go for Decomps. But if you are determined for Binary, then you will need to learn a lot....

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
hey, been absent from working on the ROM Hack for a while now, and haven't checked Pokecom lately and such, but will get back to working order soon, but thanks for the Info.

Back