• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Are the cries in Pokémon Sword and Shield glitched or something?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
I have actually been wanting to ask this question for a long time, but I constantly forgot. Whenever you send out a Pokémon during your regular playthrough, oftentimes, when they do their cry, it seems to end with this "whoosh" sound. Has anybody else noticed that? Is this a glitch or it is associated with the gameplay in some form or fashion?

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
You probably won't believe this, but I booted up my copy of Shield to check this out, and one of the first Pokemon I ran into was a Pancham in a sandstorm.
It was shiny. THE LUCK!

Anyway, one of the things you can try doing (if you haven't already) is turn off game music and sound, while leaving the Pokemon cries on.
That way you can check if the whooshing sound is still there. If it is, I would guess it was probably a glitch.
I'm going to try a few more things to see if I can figure it out, so I'll let you know if I find anything worth mentioning.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
So I did some more digging into this, even going as far as to watch some bits and pieces of a no-commentary run of Sword on Youtube,
and can't for the life of me (even with decent earbuds) hear anything that doesn't sound like it should be there with the sound of the Pokemon's cries
when summoned from a Pokeball to battle... I'm not sure if there's any way to get a clip of what you're referring to posted on here, but if you can
at least give me a push in the right direction I might be able to find out more.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Might know what is being referenced. Hears a wind sound with certain Pokemon. Affects some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate, supposedly, but not all. Happens with Sigilyph, Ninjask, and Bronzong (Levitate). Did not hear it with Lugia.

Could apply to more Pokemon. Only tried a few.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
Years
Devalue's right, I just checked. It's especially noticeable when the music & Pokemon cry audio is turned off.
It's on the Game SFX layer though, so that might not be what Serenity's hearing. Will wait for confirmation.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Might know what is being referenced. Hears a wind sound with certain Pokemon. Affects some Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate, supposedly, but not all. Happens with Sigilyph, Ninjask, and Bronzong (Levitate). Did not hear it with Lugia.

Could apply to more Pokemon. Only tried a few.

Yeah, it sounds like we're hearing the same thing here. However, I noticed that it also does the same thing with Pokémon such as Magnemite as well. I mean, Magnemite does technically "fly," but it's not a Flying-type, nor does it have Levitate as an Ability. When I can, I will try to get a short video clip of it.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
An interesting data point:

- Silvally with a Fire Memory on the main island: Thud (no whoosh)
- Silvally with a Flying Memory on the main island: Whoosh
- Silvally with a Flying Memory on the Isle of Armor (leading): No whoosh or thud. (Scratched the ground a little. Was already out.)

Appeared to be tied to sending the Pokemon out, among other things. Tried a few more Pokemon for fun. Heard the sound on Vanilluxe, Polteageist, and Lanturn. Floats on the field.

Back