• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen BOOM! Voltorb Flip!

Years
Voltorb flip not only depends on unnecessary thinking, it also depends on luck, so even if you thought out your plans, if the 50/50 chance doesn't favor you then too bad, you're dropped to level 3 (or whatever). It's a travesty of a minigame.

Roh

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 7, 2014
I sort of cheated the system. It blew my mind and I found it absolutely ridiculous how the game was based on nothing but luck. In the old games I didn't have to depend on luck, I could just buy the coins, but this game? No way.

I got up to about 1500 coins before I got bored just by playing level one, collecting my coins from all the rows and columns that didn't have a Voltorb in them, and starting over.

Sometimes I'd get 12, other times, I get 8, 4, or even 3, but it all adds up. I don't even know why I did this. The only pokemon worth getting that I can't immediately catch is Dratini, and it doesn't even have a place in my party. I guess it was just to prove a point.

Also, I found this, and I'm sure I'm not the first one, but it helps if you're just in it for the coins and not the game itself like I was.

http://www.voltorbflip.com/

It's not 100% every time, but it definitely got me up from 1200 coins to around 7,000 when I was still deciding between Mr. Mime or a Porygon.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 2, 2020
Voltorb Flip is easily my favorite mini-game in the series.

I normally avoid the Game Corners. If there's something there that I want, I usually just grind until I can buy enough coins to buy it, since I detest the slot machine games. The slots are some combination of luck and twitch timing (some of them have been almost pure luck, while others have added some amount of perfectly timed button pressing - the latter's better than the former, but not by far).

At least Voltorb Flip is an actual puzzle, so it rewards thinking, rather than just relying on luck and a bit of twitch skill. It still comes down to luck a bit too often - too many of the puzzles, and particularly at the higher levels, come down to a point at which there's a "box" of choices left. There'll be two columns left with, say, one 2 each, and there will similarly be two rows with one 2 each. That means that one of the 2s is at the intersection of one row and column and the other one is at the intersection of the other row and column, but the other two intersections are 1s at best, and quite possibly Voltorbs, and there's absolutely no way of knowing which is which. So all you can do is pick one and hope.

Ah, but that's not all you can do, and that's the other thing that I like about Voltorb Flip. If you get down to that point and don't feel like gambling on a wild guess, you can just take your winnings and go on to the next game.

Years
  • Seen Mar 18, 2020
I adore Voltorb Flip. The strategy blended in with a sprinkle of luck really appeals to me. (As do the rewards. Hello, Ice Beam!) After playing it for a few minutes or so I pretty much got the hang of it. I think doing Sudoku helped me with the idea of where your chances of finding a number was best. And Minesweeper helped me cope with the idea of losing it all on a bad guess. With Voltorb Flip, I actually enjoy getting coins. In other games I would normally just skip the Game Corner altogether, besides for plot things in FR/LG and such.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I've played this game for so many hours trying to get enough coins to get the Ice Beam and Thunderbolt TM's for my Lanturn in my HG game that it makes me want to puke.

But I actually really like the game, and it's much easier for me to get coins this way than it's ever been with the slot machines. I hated the slot machines.

This game reminds me somewhat of Minesweeper, and I love that game so I felt right at home here. ^_^

Fernando Torres

Class on grass
Years
  • Seen Jul 28, 2014
I never pay attention to the game corner. I see no reason to play a mini game inside a game with a story. Usually I skip them, except that one time I bought enough coins to get Porygon

Starlight Sprite

Resident Moon Fairy
Years
I've got mixed feelings about it. On one hand the game has more strategy to it, meaning if you learn the ropes you can greatly increase your chances of winning. It's also free to play, as there is no need to buy coins. However, I've always felt the Game Corner was a series staple, and seeing the slot machines removed makes me sad. I understand the policTl reasons of doing it, but I still feel something is missing.

Back