• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Atheist Alliance 2.0

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
*MOD POST*

okay you guys, that's enough. I'm okay with a debate, but this is something I cannot allow. Child of Christ, you pretty much broke an FC&G rule right there. I suggest you knock it off...and if you would like to continue with your argument, I suggest you make a thread about it in Discussions & Debates. I understand you are standing by your faith, and that's fine. But bringing forth an argument that does not have to do with the club's subject will derail it and will make things worse. I don't want to delete posts/lock threads.

You may now go back to what you guys were discussing before (I don't even know anymore lol).

MurkMire

[font=special elite][color=#FF3399]Toxic Terror[/c
Years
Years
Former christian here, I grew out of religion gradually over the past few years as I've gone out to real life and slowly realize that many of christianity's principles are flawed. I am an atheist now.

Also, a few questions we are sure to hear all the time.

A while ago my mom overheard this video while I was watching and accused him of being possessed by the devil to dissuade believers from believing god.

I wish I was joking, and normally I'd laugh off such claims but it's concerning that when it comes to christianity she just can't think logically for one second.

Last edited:

MurkMire

Years
Former christian here, I grew out of religion gradually over the past few years as I've gone out to real life and slowly realize that many of christianity's principles are flawed. I am an atheist now.

A while ago my mom overheard this video while I was watching and accused him of being possessed by the devil to dissuade believers from believing god.

I wish I was joking, and normally I'd laugh off such claims but it's concerning that when it comes to christianity she just can't think logically for one second.

Welcome to the fold. I know exactly how you feel.

I also wish that when something falls, or something they can't explain happens, they go to a paranormal team or claim it's ghosts.

Years
Welcome to the fold. I know exactly how you feel.

I also wish that when something falls, or something they can't explain happens, they go to a paranormal team or claim it's ghosts.

Ghosts don't exist though... but wait, you can't disprove it either, so ghosts must be real. ****.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
An interesting video, albiet a longer one.

But Seth brings up some good points.

MurkMire

Years
An interesting video, albiet a longer one.

But Seth brings up some good points.

That's a pretty good video, and it really... well, it really shows what's up. Though, I hate to say that Xtians (c wut i did thar) will always try to find an excuse to claim their religion is "under attack," or that they're being "persecuted."

Truth is, I still don't like Xmas, because of all the idiots out there who actually believe the baby jesus invented Xmas.

This would include my entire family. However, it did bring to light everything that really needed to be known about Xmas.

Phantom1

Years

This would include my entire family. However, it did bring to light everything that really needed to be known about Xmas.

I think that's because it was trying to really be friendly toward all. It easily could have been "X doesn't exist, here's a list of reasons why" (See what I did there?)

MurkMire

Years
And also, why I sometimes wonder if humanity will ever give up the silly notion of religion.

Like... I dunno. I just sigh, because sometimes, it just makes my head spin and boil. Seeing religious people pull these sort of stunts is just too much to swallow.

The Undisputed Era

Shock the System.
Years
And also, why I sometimes wonder if humanity will ever give up the silly notion of religion.

Like... I dunno. I just sigh, because sometimes, it just makes my head spin and boil. Seeing religious people pull these sort of stunts is just too much to swallow.

You can't really call religion "silly", many people find comfort in religion and it helps them through tough times, I personally believe there is no God, no heaven, no hell, no man who separated the ocean with a magic staff but I never go around saying that the notion of religion is stupid or silly because it gives some people meaning to their lives.

Because I live in England and religion isn't that strong here, there are probably more Muslims than there are Christians, we do sometimes get the odd person knocking on the door and asking if I've "Accepted Jesus into my heart" and I 90% of the time listen to what they have to say because I have manners and I show respect for other people beliefs even if I don't agree to them myself.

I've never really called myself and Atheist, I don't believe in God, I don't think about whether I am right or wrong, I don't find myself conflicted that I might be judged by some magic man in the sky because I don't go to a church and pray once a week. I just get on with my life and try to find fulfillment in living. We can all sit here and play the science card or disproof card but at the end of the day it's just about living your life the way you want and if that in turn means you pray to a "God" and believe in a holy book then so be it.

Also Hi, I know this isn't a D&D thread and I'm not even in that forum but I thought it was worth replying to that comment.

MurkMire

Years
You can't really call religion "silly", many people find comfort in religion and it helps them through tough times, I personally believe there is no God, no heaven, no hell, no man who separated the ocean with a magic staff but I never go around saying that the notion of religion is stupid or silly because it gives some people meaning to their lives.

Because I live in England and religion isn't that strong here, there are probably more Muslims than there are Christians, we do sometimes get the odd person knocking on the door and asking if I've "Accepted Jesus into my heart" and I 90% of the time listen to what they have to say because I have manners and I show respect for other people beliefs even if I don't agree to them myself.

I've never really called myself and Atheist, I don't believe in God, I don't think about whether I am right or wrong, I don't find myself conflicted that I might be judged by some magic man in the sky because I don't go to a church and pray once a week. I just get on with my life and try to find fulfillment in living. We can all sit here and play the science card or disproof card but at the end of the day it's just about living your life the way you want and if that in turn means you pray to a "God" and believe in a holy book then so be it.

Also Hi, I know this isn't a D&D thread and I'm not even in that forum but I thought it was worth replying to that comment.

I apologize. What I MEANT to say is that the silly notion of taking something as personal as religion, to such extensive degrees.

I have two friends who are Christian. They help me remember that not all religious people are just forceful, and self-righteous. I love them to death, and I accept their belief. Why? Because, it's personal to them.

I forgot I need to be more specific, but my family was (and still is) very serious about it.

Sure, religion has done good things. I can admit that. But, most of the time, it usually shows us why it needs to be more personal than anything else. Why it needs to stay away from our politics, and our schools, and so on and so forth.

So, once again, I apologize.

Phantom1

Years
I actually am the more anti-religion person here. I'm the type that firmly believes our society would be better off if religion had never existed.

obZen

Kill Your Heroes
Years
I really hate the idea of organized religion; it just adds fuel to crowd mentality.

I wanted to bring up something that I'd notice.
In regards to the Bible, I'm sure everyone here has had some sort of debate about it.
Is it just me, or do people pick and choose things that "justify" their beliefs, but when it comes to following the Biblical rules as a whole, this is dismissed?

See homosexuality. People always cite Leviticus, but do they follow all of the rules? Do they avoid shellfish? Not because of the Bible. Do they bathe after lustful sex? Maybe, but again, not because of the Bible. Do they clean the couch everytime someone with an STD or going through her menstrual cycle sits on it? No.
Do they abstain from sex before marriage? Probably not.
YET, being gay is wrong because of [cite Leviticus], while ignoring ALL of the other rules.

Also, if Jesus denounced the old times (or whatever the anti-old testament belief is), WHY don't these people... not follow the OT?

And the killer is, everyone follows some variation of the KJB, which wa heavily edited to appease King James. The "real" Bible seems to be lost only to Biblical scholars.

Years

I'd argue that this is what makes religion so dangerous. Religion is shielded from criticism because it's so personal to many, while in reality they have been indoctrinated to believe in what they believe today.

Religion is silly because they're all about having faith in ancient fairy tales. If you believe with all your heart that santas, tooth fairies, smurfs, magical teddy bears in outr space, etc. really exist, of course you will be called silly.

As for temporary comfort, yes. However, one doesn't necessarily have to follow a religion to be happy. At the end of the day what's really happened is that the church has used those people to get their tithes. Religion was, is, and will always be about mass control. You'd understand once you realize that the books in the Bible were selected by a committee of (fallible) men to suit their needs to contol the masses long time ago.

Of course, I won't go around in real life telling random Christians they are silly and indoctrinated for following their religion, but if a debate comes up I won't hesitate to put my opinions forth.

Last edited:
Back