• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Is there any way to repoint cries or footsteps for the 25 Pokemon between Celebi and Treecko? Thanks.

Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2014
I made a little headway on this, but I was only able to research about half of it.

There's a data array which starts at 0x3E22D0, which looks like this:

Code:
D5 D6 D7 D8 D9 DA 00 AD DB DC DD DE DF E0 00 B8 E1 E2 E3 E4 E5 E6 E7 00 E8 E9 EA EB EC ED EE 00 BB BC BD BE BF C0 00 AD C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 00 B8 C7 C8 C9 CA CB CC CD 00 CE CF D0 D1 D2 D3 D4 00 A1 A2 A3 A4 A5 00 00 00 A6 A7 A8 A9 AA 00
This seems like complete nonsense, but it actually dictates what letters are typed when you click a spot. Every zero in that array is a blank space on the keyboard, as read from left to right, and with this, most of the keyboard can be rearranged, although the letters stay in the same place (Basically, you can make it so pressing "A" would type in "E" if you changed BB to BF). Another thing...the first group of letters are actually the lowercase letters. The next group is the uppercase, and the final groups is the special characters.

Of course, this isn't all that helpful if it can't display the letters you want, but its a start :\

Thanks very much, this helped a lot! Although the problem you mentioned still remains... It would be nice if there was any kind of solution for this, and I'll try searching for this problem (though I doubt I'll find anything), but still, it's a huge improvement!:)

madarawolf

Espada Cuarta
Years
  • Seen Jul 23, 2023
I can't see how that would be a ROM issue, it looks a lot like a write issue and it is decidedly not random text. What does it look like in game, when you run the script? It could also be a read issue by XSE, or at least until you answer that question. I find it weird that it seems to write spaces, at times, correctly. If it were me, I would say to myself, 'Hmm, weird,' and then go redownload XSE from a different place than the first one and then retry. If I still had problems, then I would try getting a new ROM, but I can't imagine why that would help. Of course, every once in a while the solutions that make no sense at all somehow work.

I Googled XSE \h3F and somebody had a vaguely similar problem and someone suggested it might be due to dynamic pointers that used spaces. I am not sure if you used dynamic pointers or not, and even if you did they decided that that did not fix the issue, but that could be an issue (of course, I can't imagine that XSE would let you compile with too many arguments since it has never let me compile with too few) and it is too easy to fix to skip.

Well, it's not just XSE that has this problem. When I load my ROM into Item Editor all the items and their descriptions are random letters.

Also, in game the person that has the script doesn't say anything and the battle just starts.

Years
  • Seen Sep 15, 2012
Pokemon Platinum Rom hacker

Okay so I looked around before I asked this. I want to be able to

Completely change Sprites (into ones I made)
Change Text
Change Pokemon Sprites.
Change Trainer Sprites
Change Pokemon Name, Evolutions, abilities etc.
Change Music

All the answers I've found were to Pokemon FRLG or SRE But I need a rom hacking program that would do this to Platinum. I looked into PPRE but it doesn't change Music or Sprites.

RetroRoller

Trailer Trash
Years
See the little messed up characters beneath the ' in this picture?
PokemonFireRed_01.png

How do I get rid of it. I'm almost certain I didn't write over any hex values concerning the ' character.

Edit: I know the reflection tile error beneath the player, I fixed it after I screencapped this error.

Last edited:

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
I have a problem with Advance Trainer! In Emerald, I made a new Trainer at slot 357 and called him Billy. I tested him in-game and everything worked except for the fact that instead of him being called 'YOUNGSTER BILLY' he was called 'YOUNGSTER ?????' Does anybody know the cause or the solution to this problem?

Also, how exactly does the 'money rate' work in A-Trainer because that seems rather buggy to me...

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
First, my question. Has anyone done any research on the Pokemon animations themselves in Emerald? I don't mean editing the frames, but how the frames are displayed, i.e "1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1", instead of "1-2-1-2-1-2", or something similar.

I don't really want to modify any "animation scripts" (if they're anything like battle animations) or anything...I'm mostly looking for a way to transfer a pre-existing animation for a certain Pokemon, like how you can copy a pointer from the move animation tables to another spot to give custom moves already existing animations.

See the little messed up characters beneath the ' in this picture?
PokemonFireRed_01.png

How do I get rid of it. I'm almost certain I didn't write over any hex values concerning the ' character.

Edit: I know the reflection tile error beneath the player, I fixed it after I screencapped this error.

It's possible that you accidentally overwrote part of apostrophe image. The images are uncompressed, and can be found only in TileMolestor, since the text is 2BPP, and imaging programs like NSE only do 4 and 8 BPP. I don't have the offset on-hand, but I think there are tutorials that discuss changing the font that have it.

thechurchofcage

a.k.a. The Cancer Fairy
Years
  • Age 54
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
First, my question. Has anyone done any research on the Pokemon animations themselves in Emerald? I don't mean editing the frames, but how the frames are displayed, i.e "1-1-1-1-1-2-2-2-2-2-1-1-1-1-1", instead of "1-2-1-2-1-2", or something similar.

I don't really want to modify any "animation scripts" (if they're anything like battle animations) or anything...I'm mostly looking for a way to transfer a pre-existing animation for a certain Pokemon, like how you can copy a pointer from the move animation tables to another spot to give custom moves already existing animations.

Unfortunately, I am in the same predicament - not much has been found out about Emerald animations and I'm vaguely aware that modifying them requires ASM know-how.
I can give you a really simple workaround that I use to give my Pokémon the desired animations (to a certain extent). Say you want to replace Farfetch'd or something with Dialga. If you check Farfetch'd's animation on Bulbapedia or Psydex, you'll see it hops about merrily, inappropriate for the Lord of Time. Find another Pokémon with a more appropriate animation e.g. Nidoran M. Then, by using Gamer2020's PGE, swap all data between Nidoran M and Farfetch'd. Nidoran M will have Farfetch'd's skipping animation, whilst your Dialga would have a much more suitable animation. Hope this helps!

Now I have yet another question. Does anybody have a better program than EggMoveEditor for editing Egg moves? I really don't like to use this program and it doesn't seem to work. After all, since when does Wynaut learn egg moves?

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013
Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of problem with sappy. It worked for me up until recently, when it just stopped opening for some reason. Whenever I double click it, or attempt to run it in any other way, nothing happens. No error messages, just nothing. I can run other .exe programs correctly, so I don't think malware is involved in any way. Does anybody know what's going on, a way to find out why the program's not opening now, or how to fix it?

Years
Hey everyone, I'm having a bit of problem with sappy. It worked for me up until recently, when it just stopped opening for some reason. Whenever I double click it, or attempt to run it in any other way, nothing happens. No error messages, just nothing. I can run other .exe programs correctly, so I don't think malware is involved in any way. Does anybody know what's going on, a way to find out why the program's not opening now, or how to fix it?

Sappy is probably the buggiest program that has ever been created for PokeHacking.
This is a common issue and to be honest, the only fix I've found that worked (sometimes) was delete the .exe and everything associated to sappy and re-download it.
As far as I know, the dev for sappy has given up with it.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013

Sappy is probably the buggiest program that has ever been created for PokeHacking.
This is a common issue and to be honest, the only fix I've found that worked (sometimes) was delete the .exe and everything associated to sappy and re-download it.
As far as I know, the dev for sappy has given up with it.

I'm using the mods made for sappy, which seem to be a little less buggy. I've tried deleting anything associated with sappy, but it still doesn't work after reinstalling. I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't get it to work. Literally all that happens is I double click on sappy.exe, it asks if I want to run the program, I hit yes, and then nothing happens...

Years
I'm using the mods made for sappy, which seem to be a little less buggy. I've tried deleting anything associated with sappy, but it still doesn't work after reinstalling. I've tried everything I can think of, but I just can't get it to work. Literally all that happens is I double click on sappy.exe, it asks if I want to run the program, I hit yes, and then nothing happens...

I can't think of what you could do. Sappy is pretty much a dead program. The dev gave up on it (it feels like it anyway). Are there not any other Pokemon music editors that you could use as an alternative?

I haven't really messed around with music editing or looked into other programs so it might be worth a look.

redriders180

Mastermind of Pokemon Glazed
Years
I'm curious about something in Emerald, pertaining to OWs.

First, is there any knowledge about the last six OWs, and how I might use them to my advantage? From what I've seen, they seem to be influenced by something, since they're sort of a variable OW, which could be useful if I want to do something like that, or a pain if I wanted to use those slots for an OW. Is there a way to disable them from switching?

how to add the battle frontier to fire red anyone know how to do it?

It's a difficult, if not near-impossible task. The battle frontier in Emerald uses alot of custom-built code, and you'd need to replicate everything, and port it to use Firered-specific offsets. Big task, since there's so much of it.

thanethane98

Self Proclaimed Expert
Years
  • Seen Nov 16, 2013

I can't think of what you could do. Sappy is pretty much a dead program. The dev gave up on it (it feels like it anyway). Are there not any other Pokemon music editors that you could use as an alternative?

I haven't really messed around with music editing or looked into other programs so it might be worth a look.

By what I know, Sappy is the only music editor available for 3rd gen stuff. As I've said, this version of sappy that I'm using has run successfully for me before, but right now nothing happens when it's double clicked. It's the only .exe program that does this, and downloading it again has had no effect.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
Is it dangerous at all to just go deleting map connections? Cuase I did it for one of my maps and then every time I click on it now, it says its not a pointer, and then when I tried making a connection for it, it said error and crashed my Amap, and when I reloaded it, the map I was trying to connect to the "non pointer" map was all jumbled and the tilesetys where re arranged

itman

Back to ROM hacking. :D
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 5, 2014
Is it dangerous at all to just go deleting map connections? Cuase I did it for one of my maps and then every time I click on it now, it says its not a pointer, and then when I tried making a connection for it, it said error and crashed my Amap, and when I reloaded it, the map I was trying to connect to the "non pointer" map was all jumbled and the tilesetys where re arranged

It shouldn't be a problem. Did you forget to fill out the other stuff...I forget exactly what but check out an existing map connection, I think there's an unknown you have to put for them all to work.

KhaosKnight

The 1 and only Khaotic Hacker
Years
  • Seen May 28, 2015
I'm curious about something in Emerald, pertaining to OWs.

First, is there any knowledge about the last six OWs, and how I might use them to my advantage? From what I've seen, they seem to be influenced by something, since they're sort of a variable OW, which could be useful if I want to do something like that, or a pain if I wanted to use those slots for an OW. Is there a way to disable them from switching?

I've been working on this for awhile. They seem to be dependent on flags in some way. All six appear in both the male and female players rooms off screen with values that are flags in the level scripts. It seems they are associated some end-game scripts, and some that might have been scrapped.

They are a pain to deal with, especially when you want to add more OWs because any thing in those slots will glitch in-game if placed somewhere visible on a map.

anyone know how to change the azumarill to a different pokemon in the intro for ruby?

Take Azurill's index number(0350), convert it to hex and add some zeros(0000015E), reverse the bytes, (5E 01 00 00). Take that value and search for it in a hex editor. It should appear towards the beginning of the ROM twice, as well as a bunch toward the end. The first appearance should be the cry, and the second should be the sprite. Find the index number of the Pokemon you want to change it to, convert it like above, and change it in both locations.

Here is a list of Gen III Pokemon by Index Number: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_index_number_(Generation_III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back