• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon: Discovery

Should the beta be released sooner or later?

• Sooner! [Shorter beta]

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • Later! [Longer beta]

Votes: 35 58.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Annoying Rollout

You already know it
Years
Are you still working on this hack?Because I didn't see any new betas recently.Plus I recently saw some of new hacks and this makes me wonder if you're still working on this coz I really like this Hack

Le pug

Creator of Pokémon: Discovery / Fat Kid
Years
Are you still working on this hack?Because I didn't see any new betas recently.Plus I recently saw some of new hacks and this makes me wonder if you're still working on this coz I really like this Hack

My last reply on this exact page:
"Also I've said before and I'll say it again, right now I'm working on Pokemon: Fat Kid which is my other hack. Once that has a beta release I'll gladly work on beta 2"

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 9, 2020
Skuth is in the game as well as its evolution, though level 36 would be hard to get right now in the game. All the stats and what not can be viewed in any pokemon editor tool if you really want to check out the pokemon. Also I've said before and I'll say it again, right now I'm working on Pokemon: Fat Kid which is my other hack. Once that has a beta release I'll gladly work on beta 2

It is!? Aww sweet I can't wait to see it. If I had the time I would try and endlessly grind to check it out. lol But I'll just wait till it's naturally easier, thanks for the response!
Have fun with Pokemon Fat Kid, I've been keeping my eye on that aswell.
Would say more about it but that discussion is suited for its respected forum, that I never post in. >.>;

Le pug

Years
I've thought this one over and since there is a bigger fanbase for Discovery and the underwhelming amount of people interested in Fat Kid, I'm going to start working on Discovery with Fat Kid as my side project. So for all those who have been waiting ... Discovery is getting worked on once more

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jan 29, 2017
For me it does not matter wich game you work on and release first, if both games get released in the end. You are doing great work. I think many other people feel the same. :)

Yuuki_Asura

Rom Hack Lover as of 2009... XD
Years
I've thought this one over and since there is a bigger fanbase for Discovery and the underwhelming amount of people interested in Fat Kid, I'm going to start working on Discovery with Fat Kid as my side project. So for all those who have been waiting ... Discovery is getting worked on once more

Yeah, Can"t Wait for the next release :)

Le pug

Years
One question. When I catch more than 6 pokemon where do the rest go? and how can I switch?

Right now, it goes to a thing called the Pokemon Shelf System and you can find it currently in Berry City only prior to the big event

Le pug

Years
Hello everyone, here with an update about Discovery. First of all, to those who don't know, I'm redoing Beta 1. Yes yes, I know ... some of you were waiting for Beta 2 but let's be honest, Discovery didn't meet its full potential. I was making Discovery along with trying to learn how to do anything involving ROM hacking and now that I know a decent amount of information, I want to restart the project to make it even better.
Even better means updated tiles to look more like Gen 4 with OWs that are Gen 4 as well. Another thing is instead of the typical route music, you'll be able to hear songs from the Radio. More on that in a second.
So the introductionary area has been altered to have more story behind it and it also helps the player understand everything that is going on. When you arrive on the island for the first time, you will not see people on the beach. In fact, it'll be awhile before you even see people. Yes, one of the elements to Discovery is just that: it's the discovery of Pokemon. However, it's also a shipwreck tale on a big island. Discovery didn't have a feel for being shipwreck. You were on an island then you ran into a town then another then a city ... it needs to be more isolated than that. In the upcoming version, we will see elements such as the need for shelter, proper clothing, food, and water. The story will be altered in such a way to where it feels like it truly is just you and your Eevee (or eeveelution) ... until you encounter the first people (hint hint won't be a good encounter). This may seem boring at first or maybe you're pondering how this will unfold and all I have to say is that it'll be a different type of Pokemon environment.

As for the Radio, it'll be a feature you can tune in and off whenever you want.
One of the many items you'll find in the wreckage will be a pocket radio. The shipwreck isn't too far from shore and on it the radio tower seems to be intact. The further you are from the ship, the weaker the signal. You can choose to have it turned on or off, but in key events the music will change to set the mood correctly. (Feedback wanted on this feature)

I was also thinking about implementing a weight system. You'll find a bag in the wreckage which will allow you to carry more things but as time goes on and you gather more things, the bag will weigh you down which is prevent you from adding anything further until you sell or get rid of items. (feedback wanted on this feature)

For those that are curious as to how the introduction scene will be altered, you may read in the spoiler however it will contain spoils of the new intro (obviously):
Spoiler:

Again, if you read the intro then go ahead and give feedback in a spoiler if you want to.

ANOTHER big plot problem I had was how the player got its eeveelution. For the life of me I could not figure out a good way to hand these evolutions out until now. In the spoiler below, you'll find out how I intend to give the player his eeveelution. I'm still iffy on the Espeon way and for Leafeon and Glaceon I'm having troubles so feel free to help me out with ideas on that:
Spoiler:

Thanks for reading and please provide feedback to make this a better game. Thanks

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Dec 10, 2021
I was also thinking about implementing a weight system. You'll find a bag in the wreckage which will allow you to carry more things but as time goes on and you gather more things, the bag will weigh you down which is prevent you from adding anything further until you sell or get rid of items. (feedback wanted on this feature)
Please no. Things like this only serve to annoy the player, especially if there's not going to be any sort of PC item storage. "Bag management" shouldn't be a major feature in this game, it's just gonna distract you from the main gameplay and I don't see any way how it could enhance it. The item limit is enough.

For the Eevee evolutions here are a few ideas:

Glaceon - Maybe similar to vaporeon, like water is rushing you and it freezes it? If you wanted you could change vaporeon to something else so they're not too similar, for example Vaporeon could put out a fire you're trapped in.

Leafeon - Its Pokedex entries all talk about photosynthesis and producing clean air. I don't know how it could be used really but that's something at least (only thing I could think of, maybe you find a cave or something and it turns out the air is toxic?).

Not the best ideas but it's hard to find a use for them!

Le pug

Years
Please no. Things like this only serve to annoy the player, especially if there's not going to be any sort of PC item storage. "Bag management" shouldn't be a major feature in this game, it's just gonna distract you from the main gameplay and I don't see any way how it could enhance it. The item limit is enough.

For the Eevee evolutions here are a few ideas:

Glaceon - Maybe similar to vaporeon, like water is rushing you and it freezes it? If you wanted you could change vaporeon to something else so they're not too similar, for example Vaporeon could put out a fire you're trapped in.

Leafeon - Its Pokedex entries all talk about photosynthesis and producing clean air. I don't know how it could be used really but that's something at least (only thing I could think of, maybe you find a cave or something and it turns out the air is toxic?).

Not the best ideas but it's hard to find a use for them!

Appreciate the feedback. For Leafeon, I checked the Pokedex entry too and your suggestion is one of the best ideas for it yet. The other for it that I have right now is that you a small shelter out of branches but rain still gets through so you still risk getting hypothermia and your eevee evolves and adds leaves all on the outside to protect you.

For Glaceon, that's not a bad idea. Maybe like a tidal wave is coming in or something and it saves you lol. Or maybe like a few of the others, you're getting attacked and it evolves and freezes the pokemon to save you?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Mar 9, 2020
Thanks for reading and please provide feedback to make this a better game. Thanks

Oh oh oh~ You've peaked my interest now. Also sorry to hear that Fat Kid hasn't turned out the way you expected, but I'm excited you'll still be working on both projects.
ANYWAY: Have fun reworking everything, I'm sure it's no easy task. Just cannot wait to see what you can do now that you are equipped with better coding knowledge.

Love the radio idea, it could be a sanity thing too. I would totally be cranking that thing up if I was stranded. Humans are a very social creature and being so isolated tends to have some hazards on your mental/emotional health. Hmm maybe I'm getting too much from Don't Starve but seeing something creeping at the edge of your vision would be pretty cool.
Especially in that haunted mansion/house. Oh that was too spooky for a wimp like me already. ahaha
Spoiler:

For the Evolutions. ahahaha-best of luck.
Spoiler:

Idk I'm terrible at brainstorming.

Le pug

Years
Oh oh oh~ You've peaked my interest now. Also sorry to hear that Fat Kid hasn't turned out the way you expected, but I'm excited you'll still be working on both projects.
ANYWAY: Have fun reworking everything, I'm sure it's no easy task. Just cannot wait to see what you can do now that you are equipped with better coding knowledge.

Love the radio idea, it could be a sanity thing too. I would totally be cranking that thing up if I was stranded. Humans are a very social creature and being so isolated tends to have some hazards on your mental/emotional health. Hmm maybe I'm getting too much from Don't Starve but seeing something creeping at the edge of your vision would be pretty cool.
Especially in that haunted mansion/house. Oh that was too spooky for a wimp like me already. ahaha
Spoiler:

For the Evolutions. ahahaha-best of luck.
Spoiler:

Idk I'm terrible at brainstorming.

I appreciate the feedback, glad to know you are liking the ideas so far and I'll surely be working my best to make sure they turn out great!

Years
  • Seen Apr 2, 2023
I read the first and last pages only, but your plot sounds so awesome! I am new with the understanding of alphas and betas -i normally just play and not understand the beta xxx- but since this is beta 1, I wonder if it's like 50% or so on done? (I just really am trying to understand the concept of why others have so many betas, and others go up to 2, and becomes complete).. sorry for blabbing.

I love hacks which has awesome stories, and I'm sure this is one. I'm so looking forward to it! Hopefully there'd be good places/ways to grind. (I'm the type who doesn't fight bosses until I'm 10lvl above, I know it's awful ><)

Le pug

Years
In an effort to show everyone the new and improved version of Discovery, here is the new starter island map along with the new trainer front / back sprites:

Click the links for full resolution
The sprites (new vs old):
http://i.imgur.com/PcZgq3e.png
PcZgq3e.png

The map (image not final):
http://i.imgur.com/TwSoccF.png
Spoiler:

Back