• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge Ideas & Discussion

Do you feel more people should get into Nuzlockes?

• Yes

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • No

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Ugh I haven't been here forever ;-; all my threads and some other ones I liked are gone and I don't know what challenges to do. I don't have a lot of time to game anymore, so I think I just wanna do some GB/GBC games I can use the speed button on.

I know I'll make a challenge ^_^

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Ugh I haven't been here forever ;-; all my threads and some other ones I liked are gone and I don't know what challenges to do. I don't have a lot of time to game anymore, so I think I just wanna do some GB/GBC games I can use the speed button on.

I know I'll make a challenge ^_^

do all the monocolors on Gen I and II! :P *shameless plug for own thread*

Welcome back though, it's been a while since we've seen your pretty face.

Years
awwww thanks. I'm a loser though and actually just posted another challenge that will hopefully get approved. I don't know if anyone here is a Game of Thrones fan, but it's very similar to the Seasons Challenge I use to have. Cept this time you pick a Noble House, and follow the rules regarding your team.

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
awwww thanks. I'm a loser though and actually just posted another challenge that will hopefully get approved. I don't know if anyone here is a Game of Thrones fan, but it's very similar to the Seasons Challenge I use to have. Cept this time you pick a Noble House, and follow the rules regarding your team.
Yes this is awesome! I do wonder how it will work, but I will definitely be looking forward to it.

Halfcadence

Monocolorist
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 2, 2023

Considering my playthroughs so far for my Monocolor runs have included such pokemon as Arya the Fearow (sticking things with the pointy end for days), Syrio the Kabutops (best Water Dancer around), and Dany the Dratini, it should be pretty evident that I'd be 100% down for this. Also, i"m completely new, but welcome back nonetheless?

Years
Considering my playthroughs so far for my Monocolor runs have included such pokemon as Arya the Fearow (sticking things with the pointy end for days), Syrio the Kabutops (best Water Dancer around), and Dany the Dratini, it should be pretty evident that I'd be 100% down for this. Also, i"m completely new, but welcome back nonetheless?

Ugh I want that Kabutops. Theon Greyjoy should be represented by a ghost cause hopefully he dies in tonight's episode, though I doubt it.

Anyway a twist to it is since each house has a sigil the pokemon that best represents that sigil must always be #1 in your party, or better not die. If it does you have to continue the game from where you last saved.

11wildy

Me!
Years
Yeah, welcome back! :D Nice to meet you etc :) And I have no idea what game of thrones is, so I will just continue my mono poison challenge on Pokemon Ruby. Swalot and Roselia are really underrated! Dustox kind of sucks, it needs a lot of exp and it only good for double team/toxic stall. Unless you get the Silver wind boost of course. Any ideas on how I am going to beat Steven? x.x

11wildy

Me!
Years
I got desmume too. It tends to go lag a LOT at random times and it wont stop for a while. Thats why I only play challenges on first 3 games, unless I feel like playing on cartridge

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
no$gba and desmume both work fine for me, I use no$gba (with no$zoomer) for DS games though because I can get higher speeds. Desmume I only use for Pokeathon in HG/SS and for recording my boss fights. And I don't have an amazing comp either, it's a laptop.

Years
Oh hey in my mono-color I just got the third badge and in my team is Hypno, Sandslash, and Pikachu

Maaannnnn already spending time on the challenge forum I already want to make yet another challenge, but probably a bad idea
(even though it's related to my two favorite games right now, Persona 3 and 4)

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
Years
Alright, so I had an idea for a challenge, that imposed a cost upon visiting the Pokemon Center, thereby limiting the player's ability to heal at will. The problem is, I don't know what it'd be. It'd have to be fluctuating, as at some points in the game you have more money than others, but I can't think of a system right now... Any ideas?

droomph

weeb
Years
Alright, so I had an idea for a challenge, that imposed a cost upon visiting the Pokemon Center, thereby limiting the player's ability to heal at will. The problem is, I don't know what it'd be. It'd have to be fluctuating, as at some points in the game you have more money than others, but I can't think of a system right now... Any ideas?
Hmmm...how about the cost of a potion per Pokémon healed? Makes enough sense, and when your Pokémon get more HP, you are required to pay at least that much (eg if Griffy had 21 HP he'd have to pay the price of a Fresh Water instead of a potion), and if any Pokémon has more than 200 HP they are required to pay the price of a Max Potion?

Though I doubt that this is a "challenge" so to say, I'll still host it! It sounds like a great starting challenge for someone like me~

Last edited:

Vasquez

Hacker and LPer
Years
Well, although not a challenge on it's own, it was meant to be done among other things, but I was just wondering what would be a fair restriction to place on the player when playing through.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
Remember, threads in this forum can be up to two months old before it's considered dead.

Really? o_O

So, like clarifying:

I somebody posted on the, say, 23rd December, it'd take until 23rd February for that thread to die?

That's great! Now I can keep going on with the Monkey See, Monkey Do challenge without having to edit my post :P

That's a little more motivation right there :D

...I sort of want to revive the 2 Move Challenge, (again!) but the last time I revived it, I made participation banners, a big banner for the first post, I made sure the first post was neatly formatted and I made the rules super clear. And I only got two people to sign up (and neither updated once).

So I think something's up. Would you guys mind reviewing this challenge, to see why it's so unpopular?

Spoiler:

I think it is both challenging, (because you either have to commit yourself to early, weak moves like Ember or bait-switch-grind to get better moves at higher levels) and laid-back (since it's really not that hard with proper planning). I think what people are sort of wary about is the grinding you'd need to get decent movesets for your earlier Pokemon, but I don't see a way around that without a "movesets aren't definite until the 2nd Gym" sort of rule which sort...I dunno, irks me. I mean, you can always dump a team member at any time, so you don't have to keep the earlier Pokemon that are stuck with things like Tackle and String Shot. Because after about the 4th Gym, wild Pokemon begin to carry decent moves.

That, or people could just do the already-mentioned bait-switch grinding. OR, they could overgrind so those Bug Bites do significant damage. Or, they could avoid using one of their two move slots so that they can get a decent move in it...

See, I don't know what's really wrong with this challenge, but since I've made it twice (once original, once revived) and barely anybody paid it any attention, so obviously something's not attractive to the Pokecommunity challengers.

Last edited:

droomph

weeb
Years
I think it has something to do with the "Two Move" thing. It's usually popular to place restrictions on Pokémon, not moves. It's not a bad idea, but it can get kinda messy until you reach the Move Deleter.

Something tells me you'll have to be extra persuasive in order to get people to join~ but it's a really good idea! It's really innovative, which many people don't have. It's just that...yeah...

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I think it has something to do with the "Two Move" thing. It's usually popular to place restrictions on Pokémon, not moves. It's not a bad idea, but it can get kinda messy until you reach the Move Deleter.
Yeah, I can see the "Pokemon, not moves" thing.

What I don't get though is how can it be "messy"...? PP and being Disabled is certainly going to be annoying, but then you'd just switch...and if not, then you can use other moves. It's not like people are going to have a bad memory, either.

I think an option that I should include though, that I didn't include in the previous two incarnations of this challenge: if your 'Attack' move PP runs out, or if that move is Disabled, you don't have to wait until your Status move PP is gone. You can just immediately start attacking with another 'attack' move.

The Move Deleter is just there so you automatically Struggle after running out of PP...no wait, because then you'd have the Status move...so then really the Move Deleter isn't that useful...No, in fact, deleting all your other moves would be a bad thing, because then you'd be stuck depleting the PP of your Status move...

Maybe instead of a Status move, you'd simply have one Physical and one Special move? Having two 'attack' moves would eliminate all the problems, but it'd make the challenge so easy...unless they'd both be the same type...but then I think people would lose sight of the challenge. It'd become a sort of "same type move" challenge.

tente2

"Outta my way, dammit!"
Years
I think it would just get annoying when you delete the moves for the first time and have to keep going back every time the Pokémon learns one through level up.

Well that's always an optional rule. In fact I think maybe it would just confuse people more so I don't think I'll include it in the final challenge~

In the meantime, reading the earlier posts about the GT, if it's a trading sort of thing then I could use my Platinum cartridge, which is the only cartridge I'm willing to use for challenges. So, I think it may be a good idea, but there's also the fact it could be time-consuming to arrange a time for the other person to come on? To trade? Or maybe I just misunderstood, I dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back