• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How old is "too old"?

Lazer

Geek in the Pink
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 24, 2014
I will play Pokémon 'til death do us apart.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
Years
I don't really care how old I would be and will keep on playing Pokemon. I'm a post-grad student and I play Pokemon right in front of my mates. They don't really laugh at me. but they would show little signs of interest when I play.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Well, if you stick to going on Pokemon forums you'll never feel too old because you'll be part of, "societies," where it's considered normal to be 30+ and still play the game.
At least 20+ these days. 30+ are still a bit uncommon here. But soon, there's a chance that a large part of the forum will be what can't be referred to as anything other than "grown-ups"! :)

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Oct 7, 2013
You are never too old for Pokemon. Like seriously, from my experiences half the people that say Pokemon is stupid have never actually played a Pokemon game.

I enjoy the popular games of today a lot, like Skyrim and Battlefield, but for me Pokemon is the best. I see it as an escape from the big bad serious world, and what could be wrong with that?

Kiara

Laughing Hyena
Years
  • Age 32
  • Ohio
  • Seen Nov 2, 2013
There was a point where kids tried to make fun of me for liking Pokemon but I didn't care too much. I didn't openly talk about it for a while because I didn't want to deal with it. But when I was in 7th-8th grade, I met some of my current best friends and found out they still loved Pokemon too. Cue not ever caring again.

Lilikoi Juice

I'm on Youtube!
Years
I was about 12 or 13 when I first started watching Japan's Pokemon... It didn't hit the US until about 1-2 years after so I was that weird kid playing some weird Japanese game... Little did my friends know, haha. Then I was about 15 and I was at that age when people thought playing Pokemon was childish... Now, that I'm an adult, it's okay (or at least more accepted) to play Pokemon again, even as a young adult/adult. The key thing to remember here is that you shouldn't let others make judgments for you. Do what you want to do, you're not hurting anyone by playing Pokemon. ;3

Years
I went to the Pokémon World Championships in Vancouver a few months ago, and I saw a woman that looked to be in her 60's, playing the TCG against (what I'm assuming was) her grandson.

You're never too old.

Years
I think it happened some time around middle school. In 5th grade kids would swarm around other kids who were bringing pokedexes on the bus during class field trips to get a look at that sweet official pokemon merch, and that sort of stuff just stopped in sixth grade. Luckily I had two separate groups of friends in Middle School who also enjoyed Pokemon, so it wasn't much of a problem. Maybe it has something to do with the kids at middle schools desperately trying to seem as old and 'cool' as high schoolers are supposed to be.

In the middle of eighth grade my new pokewalker fell out of my pants leg and the kid next to me just stared at me as if a rat had fallen out of my pants.

Jessie

Don't forget to be awesome.
Years
I still play the games (so does my fiance) and I'm 21, a junior in college and a receptionist at an office.

Pokemon is still cool in college. I had my game out the other day and people around me were freaking out about how cool it looked compared to the old games. Plus, my professor referenced Pokemon the other day. Go UGA!

Years
You can play Pokemon at any age. You are young, Youngster Timmy, so you will hear the "baby" comment through around quite frequently. However, after a while, that is when you get older and sequentially as your peers do, the comment will be tossed aside--forgotten.

Mystify

confused
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 10, 2020
There's always that age/grade when pokemon is "for babies" When did it happen for you? For me, it happened in sixth grade, the grade I'm in now. I started talking about mega evolution, and the laughed so hard they were crying.
Wow... Meanwhile people at my college are discussing the starters they picked.

I think you're only too old for Pokémon if you feel like you're too old and genuinely don't want to play anymore. That's fine. I don't think I'm too old so I shall continue.

Years
Wow... Meanwhile people at my college are discussing the starters they picked.

I think you're only too old for Pokémon if you feel like you're too old and genuinely don't want to play anymore. That's fine. I don't think I'm too old so I shall continue.

This. At least three people down every hallway have their 3DS out and they are playing Pokemon. There are even specific areas where people are sitting around on couches and battling, trading, talking Pokemon.

Years
As others have said, you are never too old for Pokemon if it's what you love/like.

Me and myself, I actually dropped watching Pokemon because people made fun of me for watching it. But now I'm in university and re-watching it because it's fun!

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
Years
I got the dry spell during middle school as well. There seems to be some uncool tendency attached to Pokemon during those years. Anyway I graduated high school some years ago and I don't see a reason why I should stop playing in the foreseeable future. Fret not!

Back