• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Thieves of the Night] Dark-Type Club ☻

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokemount

Hello
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Nov 27, 2013
Username: Pokemount
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon?: I love them! Dark contains some of my favorite pokemon such as Tyranitar, Hydreigon, Houndoom, Greninja ans so on. I love how powerful and fierce they look as well.
Your partners: Tyranitar and Hydreigon.
What types rule?: DARK!

Pokemon X and Y introduced the concept of Mega Evolution . 4 of the Mega Evolutions introduced are Dark types (3 which were already Dark before and one that gains a Dark typing when Mega Evolving). These Pokemon are Mega Absol, Mega Tyranitar, Mega Gyarados, and Mega Houndoom. Out of these four, which of the Dark type Mega Evolution is your favorite? Which one do you think is best battle wise?

Mega Tyranitar is probably my favorite look wise, however I've been liking Mega Absol in battle, hits very hard and fast, and I love the magic bounce ability. :)

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
I'm going with Mega Absol. Is my favorite poke, but its mega evolution offer a renewed form to use Absol. Boosting both, attacks and speed, in combination with magic bounce, is a way to hit fast and hard while also having the ability to block and return status moves. Very impressive.

Years
Username: Sheep
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: I love them, of course! The second and third generations had some of my favorite dark types and I've used many of them on my teams across the games. Surprised I hadn't joined this club earlier. :O
Your partners:
430.png
359.png

What Types rule:
Dark!

Out of the new Dark types we got in Gen VI, which one is your favorite and why?
Yeaaah Greninja! Its hidden ability is wonderful in competitive battling and its shiny form is whoa beautiful. So fitting for a dark type too, how can you not love it?

Spoiler:

Though I also adore Yveltal.. we've gotten some great darks this time around. :)

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Everything looks good, Cloyster, but the only thing I'd change is the moveset of Hydreigon. It's got access to only dragon- and dark-type attacks right now, which limits the range of Pokémon that it can take out. It would be better if it had moves consisting of a variety of types, and not just two. Hydregion is more of a special-attacker, so I'd only keep Dark Pulse and replace the rest. I would most likely switch them up with Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, and Flamethrower. Fire Blast could be a better choice than Flamethrower, but its accuracy isn't a hundred-percent, though, which makes it a bit risky. d: Aside from this, your team seems all-around fantastic.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Everything looks good, Cloyster, but the only thing I'd change is the moveset of Hydreigon. It's got access to only dragon- and dark-type attacks right now, which limits the range of Pokémon that it can take out. It would be better if it had moves consisting of a variety of types, and not just two. Hydregion is more of a special-attacker, so I'd only keep Dark Pulse and replace the rest. I would most likely switch them up with Draco Meteor, Focus Blast, and Flamethrower. Fire Blast could be a better choice than Flamethrower, but its accuracy isn't a hundred-percent, though, which makes it a bit risky. d: Aside from this, your team seems all-around fantastic.

I switched out Crunch and Outrage for Shadow Ball and Psychic. Hope that will work out.

TheNightEon

Night, The Pokemon Master
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 25, 2015
Username: TheNightEon
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: Dark-Types Rule.
Your partners: (Up to two) Zoroark, and Greninja.
What Types rule: Dark Types.
Answer the current topic: Greninja, because of his overall design, his movepool, his stats, and most importantly, Protean.

Chocolate™

Awesome Dragon
Years
I was in this club for some time but I got caught up in my own work so here I present to you my answer to the current topic.

●Out of the new Dark types we got in Gen VI, which one is your favorite and why?●

My favorite has to be Greninja. He is so cool looking and Protean is the best ability ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I was in this club for some time but I got caught up in my own work so here I present to you my answer to the current topic.

●Out of the new Dark types we got in Gen VI, which one is your favorite and why?●

My favorite has to be Greninja. He is so cool looking and Protean is the best ability ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seeing as we only got 5 new Dark-types, I think Yveltal is my favorite, with Malamar a close second. Yveltal's Dark Aura increases the Dark-type moves of all Pokemon on the field. His signature move, Oblivion Wing, is something to be feared as well. Malamar is a unique Dark/Psychic type. Has a 4x weakness to Bug, but if you use Malamar right, he/she can be quite the trouble.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I switched out Crunch and Outrage for Shadow Ball and Psychic. Hope that will work out.

Psychic isn't a legal move a Hydreigon can have. Can I suggest Earth Power or maybe Heat Wave?

Anyway, things seem to be slow here, mind if I put a topic.

Amongst the generations, which has the best Dark-types introduced?

I can say maybe Gen 5 has the strongest Dark-types introduced. Hydreigon is one and Scrafty is another. Krookodile and Bisharp are some more feared Dark-types.

Edit: And Zoroark. It almost got away from me there XD.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Psychic isn't a legal move a Hydreigon can have. Can I suggest Earth Power or maybe Heat Wave?

I know that now lol. It wouldn't let me use them so I put Draco Meteor and Focus Blast in their place.

I see you like both Dark and Psychic types. It would be a shame if...I used a Bug team against them lmao :p

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
You can try some coverage moves on Houndoom, Weavile, Hydreigon and Malamar. Starting with the latter, taking advantage of contrary, it can have superpower; Hydreigon, you could go with heat wave or fire blast instead of shadow ball; Weavile, you could try metal claw, x-scissor or low kick instead of beat up; and Houndoom, would be good to try nasty plot, dark pulse, and HP Grass as coverage. Every monotype team need to be very balanced :) Hope this help a lil.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
You can try some coverage moves on Houndoom, Weavile, Hydreigon and Malamar. Starting with the latter, taking advantage of contrary, it can have superpower; Hydreigon, you could go with heat wave or fire blast instead of shadow ball; Weavile, you could try metal claw, x-scissor or low kick instead of beat up; and Houndoom, would be good to try nasty plot, dark pulse, and HP Grass as coverage. Every monotype team need to be very balanced :) Hope this help a lil.

Thanks, I'll have to look into that.

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
This has been a little quiet, I would like to see a new topic, what about if we start a new one? :) I was thinking about a discussion of a Dark-type pokémon that was (and still) difficult to use, in your opinion, and why.

I will answer my unofficial topic, in my opinion, Mandibuzz is very difficult to use. She has a great potential defending, can wall with ease, is hard to beat, very annoying in some way when she use toxic and whirlwind, but I can't get into that. I can run different battle styles, including Mandibuzz's game style having in mind the bulk and the moves, it comes to Mandibuzz and the strategy fail for sure. She has some kind of methodic play style that includes foul play and punishment that can be somewhat difficult to use. I would add some more colors to the already complex movepool, that could make a little difference in the way that I look at the pokémon.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
This has been a little quiet, I would like to see a new topic, what about if we start a new one? :) I was thinking about a discussion of a Dark-type pokémon that was (and still) difficult to use, in your opinion, and why.

I will answer my unofficial topic, in my opinion, Mandibuzz is very difficult to use. She has a great potential defending, can wall with ease, is hard to beat, very annoying in some way when she use toxic and whirlwind, but I can't get into that. I can run different battle styles, including Mandibuzz's game style having in mind the bulk and the moves, it comes to Mandibuzz and the strategy fail for sure. She has some kind of methodic play style that includes foul play and punishment that can be somewhat difficult to use. I would add some more colors to the already complex movepool, that could make a little difference in the way that I look at the pokémon.

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea on how to improve my Mandibuzz. I would say, for me, Umbreon is hard for me to use. I am not sure if it's because of the moves I am teaching him, if it's his held item of my choosing, or the stats I gave him. I try to keep his moves within his Dark typing (Feint Attack, Assurance, Dark Pulse, etc.), give him status-changing moves (Confuse Ray) and recovery moves (Moonlight). The issue is to give him a variety to counter other Types. Moonlight only works when the moon is out and my opponent could knock me out right after I use it. Confuse Ray doesn't do as nearly as much confusion as I want it to, so my opponent snaps out and gets to take me out. His Dark moves aren't doing enough damage either, and Umbreon gets taken out rather easily. What can I do to help him?

Esoj

Ekruum Fortrez
Years
  • Age 31
  • PR
  • Seen Jul 9, 2015
I use Umbreon in PO, something similar to Mandibuzz, but more like a sweeper. Is cool to have a poke with all of its moves as stab, but that cut the coverage for sure. Umbreon is more like a defensive pokemon with strategic attacks. The use of Moonlight can be annoying, believe me, you just need to use it correctly at the right moment. Confuse ray has 100% accuracy and works great if you want to keep stalling (and annoying) You can play with Umbreon's defenses, the physicals and the special ones. Its movepool need to be support/offense. If you rely on support, Taunt users will stop you for sure; if you go all-attack, Umbreon will not do the correct work. I have mine with this set: Toxic, Return, Payback, Curse; Careful nature @leftovers; 252 HP/200 SpDef/52 Atk/4 Def. Two support moves and two physical attacks. I use it and works quite fine, it is just about a little patience :)

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Here are all 3 of my Dark teams

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Generation three, probably, as it had access to Poochyena, Mightyena, Absol, Sableye, Shiftry, and more. My personal favorite would have to be Absol; design-wise, it looks quite epic. :) It may not be that good when it comes to battling, but oh well--that doesn't really matter. My second favorite is Mightyena. Gen five introduced a lot of new dark-types, too, and so did six.

Years

Definitely 5th Generation, the Dark-types we got in that generation were quite strong and they had some unique type combinations to boot, we got ones that were part Fighting (Scrafty, and later Pangoro in 6th Gen), Ground (Krookodile) and Steel (Bisharp). They really did a good job making interesting type combinations with Dark, since a lot of designs of most Dark-type Pokemon are quite unique.

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
Username: Sheep
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: I love them, of course! The second and third generations had some of my favorite dark types and I've used many of them on my teams across the games. Surprised I hadn't joined this club earlier. :O
Your partners:
430.png
359.png

What Types rule:
Dark!

Out of the new Dark types we got in Gen VI, which one is your favorite and why?
Yeaaah Greninja! Its hidden ability is wonderful in competitive battling and its shiny form is whoa beautiful. So fitting for a dark type too, how can you not love it?

Spoiler:

Though I also adore Yveltal.. we've gotten some great darks this time around. :)

Username: TheNightEon
What do you think of Dark-Type Pokemon: Dark-Types Rule.
Your partners: (Up to two) Zoroark, and Greninja.
What Types rule: Dark Types.
Answer the current topic: Greninja, because of his overall design, his movepool, his stats, and most importantly, Protean.

Ahhh sorry for being so awful at owning this club.:( but a very late welcome to you guys.

On the current topic:
Which I think was used before but whatever I can't think of another topic. When you have a group this old this happens.

I also have to say gen V with gen III easily right behind it. Generation V introduced a lot of my favorite Dark types including Scrafty, Hydreigon, Krookodile, Zoroark, and Bisharp. I've used Scrafty , Hydreigon and Krookodile on my White team and I was really impressed with how amazing they were. Gen 3 though also gave Absol , one of my all time favorite Dark types and Sableye and Shiftry so it's up there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back