• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Top Pokemon series/region

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
Sinnoh is the best. Hoenn comes after it. Then Battle Frontier. Orange Islands after. Johto is placed lower since ash lets his kanto team muck up his gen 2 team. Kanto is after Johto. Tied in last place is unova, kalos and alola which are the worst three in anime. Misty, brock, tracey, may, max and dawn are the top companions for me.

My ranking on each saga and season.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Please, both of you stop it, everyone is allowed to have their own opinion. Some people like May, some people like Serena. This doesn't mean that they're wrong or right.

You are right.

I don't understand the debate with Ash's Johto team, especially considering the anime was originally intended to end at the Indigo League.

They did plan to end the anime at the Indigo League, but due to how popular the show became they decided to extend the anime a little bit longer which is the reason why the Orange Islands were created for a filler saga, also Johto was meant to be the final season of the anime.

Sinnoh is the best. Hoenn comes after it. Then Battle Frontier. Orange Islands after. Johto is placed lower since ash lets his kanto team muck up his gen 2 team. Kanto is after Johto. Tied in last place is unova, kalos and alola which are the worst three in anime. Misty, brock, tracey, may, max and dawn are the top companions for me.

My ranking on each saga and season.

Ash's Kanto team didn't mess up the Johto team, the Kanto team didn't even last long in Johto Charizard left first and then Squirtle went back to the Squirtle Squad, the only one that was left was Bulbasaur, even then it wasn't used very much. The Johto team did had some decent battling time, so they weren't over taken by the Kanto team.

Here is my ranking for each saga and seasons.

1.Kanto
2.Johto
3.Orange Islands

I put these at last place because there weren't that good as the OS series
4.Hoenn
5.Battle Frontier
6.Sinnoh

Alexander18

Banned
Years
  • Age 32
  • NZ
  • Seen Dec 29, 2017
You are right.

They did plan to end the anime at the Indigo League, but due to how popular the show became they decided to extend the anime a little bit longer which is the reason why the Orange Islands were created for a filler saga, also Johto was meant to be the final season of the anime.

Ash's Kanto team didn't mess up the Johto team, the Kanto team didn't even last long in Johto Charizard left first and then Squirtle went back to the Squirtle Squad, the only one that was left was Bulbasaur, even then it wasn't used very much. The Johto team did had some decent battling time, so they weren't over taken by the Kanto team.

Here is my ranking for each saga and seasons.

1.Kanto
2.Johto
3.Orange Islands

I put these at last place because there weren't that good as the OS series
4.Hoenn
5.Battle Frontier
6.Sinnoh

Can't you let post my opinion down without you trying to claim i am wrong? I am getting very annoyed.

Anyway i stand by my opinion of Sinnoh, Battle Frontier and Hoenn being my top 3. No one can change my opinion and tell me i am wrong. I am right.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
Can't you let post my opinion down without you trying to claim i am wrong? I am getting very annoyed.

Anyway i stand by my opinion of Sinnoh, Battle Frontier and Hoenn being my top 3. No one can change my opinion and tell me i am wrong. I am right.

You can voice your opinions any kind of way you want to.

I will voice my opinions my own way.

Years

I knew they originally intended to end at the Indigo League, but I wouldn't be sure about the Johto part. As soon as Hoenn started, it was fair to say the anime was becoming even more merchandise-driven than ever, since 3rd Gen was the generation that started the trend of mythical Legendaries being the stars in the movies.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I knew they originally intended to end at the Indigo League, but I wouldn't be sure about the Johto part. As soon as Hoenn started, it was fair to say the anime was becoming even more merchandise-driven than ever, since 3rd Gen was the generation that started the trend of mythical Legendaries being the stars in the movies.

At one point they did wanted to end the anime with the Johto series, but they change their minds and decided to create the Hoenn series which also started the trends of Legendaries Pokemon playing big roles in the movies.

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
With Misty and Brock slated to return to the Anime, does this change your opinion on the SM series? If more past companions return, will this put the series in a better light or harm it irreparably? I'm basically neutral on this. Misty's return in Hoenn was a bright spot and they had her return again briefly for Battle Frontier but her return didn't fit her character goal. May's brief return was the only one that made sense(Wallace Cup) while Dawn returned for a battling Tournament. This time around with Misty, it appears it's for marketing purposes(just like Dawn with Piplup in BW).

Anyways, what are your thoughts?

Last edited:

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
Reserving judgment until after the episodes air because they may very well be plot related.

But SM is still good to me.

Years
While Misty and Brock does bring nostalgic memories, I don't think it will change my current stance on SM. I feel the damage had been done already, with all that forced comedy being shoved in our face.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 14, 2019
I have a hard time liking the SM series because of the wacky designs. But atleast Misty and Brock are coming back to the show, the SM design for them is okay. But the OS designs were the best for all of the characters.

Years
I have a hard time liking the SM series because of the wacky designs. But atleast Misty and Brock are coming back to the show, the SM design for them is okay. But the OS designs were the best for all of the characters.

I felt bringing back their OS designs was probably done for the 20th anniversary fanservice. Sadly, their portrayal in SM shows just how much I hate that art style.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020

Yeah, and as long as Misty actually pursues her goals this time around and isn't forced back into the gym again, I could care less about the redesign (even though I personally hate SM's art style). In fact, my main gripe with SM isn't merely the art change, it's the fact that Ash is basically forced out of his Pokémon Master goal and forced to go to school again. While Misty and to a lesser extent Brock returning is indeed a good thing, especially if Misty, even if it's a temporary reappearance, is at least not going to be holed up in the gym again and able to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal for the first time since GCYL, I don't think I can forgive SM for forcing Ash out of the Pokémon Master business and becoming a student. Now, who knows, maybe if they reintroduce gyms in SM, and have Ash actually partake in them, I'll forgive SM, but until then, while SM does indeed come slightly better with Misty and Brock returning, it's still a mess overall that may have tarnished the series beyond repair.

I felt bringing back their OS designs was probably done for the 20th anniversary fanservice. Sadly, their portrayal in SM shows just how much I hate that art style.

Eh, Misty's design's at least better than Ash's under that art style, even though I do agree the art style overall was just terrible. And either way, I can tolerate the art style on Misty so long as she's at LEAST allowed to pursue her goal this time around and not be forced back into the gym again, especially if she leaves. Even if it's only 20th anniversary fanservice, as long as she's allowed to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal, I won't mind the redesign one bit. That's also what I hate about Ash in SM. I could forgive an art style change. What I CANNOT forgive is them outright forcing Ash to put his master goal on the sidelines and become a student. And regarding slice-of-life plots, Dragon Ball Super did that FAR better than this does. Maybe if Ash actually WON Kalos beforehand, I probably won't mind slice-of-life plots. What they did to Ash is actually essentially the same thing as what they did to Misty in GCYL. Arguably even worse in his case, considering we have to see the results of that decision literally every single episode of the series. At least with Misty, the only time we actually see the painful results of the writers' decision to force her into a gym was with the gym battles in AG and BW, not to mention A Real Cleffa-Hanger where she's literally forced to return to the gym AGAIN.

Last edited:
Years
Yeah, and as long as Misty actually pursues her goals this time around and isn't forced back into the gym again, I could care less about the redesign (even though I personally hate SM's art style). In fact, my main gripe with SM isn't merely the art change, it's the fact that Ash is basically forced out of his Pokémon Master goal and forced to go to school again. While Misty and to a lesser extent Brock returning is indeed a good thing, especially if Misty, even if it's a temporary reappearance, is at least not going to be holed up in the gym again and able to pursue her Water Pokémon Master goal for the first time since GCYL, I don't think I can forgive SM for forcing Ash out of the Pokémon Master business and becoming a student. Now, who knows, maybe if they reintroduce gyms in SM, and have Ash actually partake in them, I'll forgive SM, but until then, while SM does indeed come slightly better with Misty and Brock returning, it's still a mess overall that may have tarnished the series beyond repair.

I agree. The fact that Ash is giving up on his goal to become a school student really annoys me, since it's Pokemon trying to be a different show altogether. And then there's a mention in CoroCoro that Ash may be giving up on his Pokemon Master goal and focus on becoming friends with Pokemon instead, probably because the Pokemon Master thing is very vague and causing nothing but outrage from fans when he always loses a league.

Unfortunately, US/UM seems likely to retain the trial system so we'll have to still stomach Ash being a school student for the remainder of this generation but like you said, it has definitely tarnished the Pokemon anime's image due to the sudden shift in tone and the complete 180 turn on the formula. If Ash is going to be spending the 8th Gen region in a school as well, I'm probably going to accept the fact that Yo-Kai Watch did indeed achieve its goal of being the "Pokemon Killer" because that series was likely to blame for SM having the school thing and slice-of-life slapstick format.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
I agree. The fact that Ash is giving up on his goal to become a school student really annoys me, since it's Pokemon trying to be a different show altogether. And then there's a mention in CoroCoro that Ash may be giving up on his Pokemon Master goal and focus on becoming friends with Pokemon instead, probably because the Pokemon Master thing is very vague and causing nothing but outrage from fans when he always loses a league.

Unfortunately, US/UM seems likely to retain the trial system so we'll have to still stomach Ash being a school student for the remainder of this generation but like you said, it has definitely tarnished the Pokemon anime's image due to the sudden shift in tone and the complete 180 turn on the formula. If Ash is going to be spending the 8th Gen region in a school as well, I'm probably going to accept the fact that Yo-Kai Watch did indeed achieve its goal of being the "Pokemon Killer" because that series was likely to blame for SM having the school thing and slice-of-life slapstick format.

Yeah, no kidding. Normally, I don't mind people changing goals, but there's a certain time limit to that sort of thing, and if Ash wanted to change his goal, he would have, and should have, done it a LONG time ago. Probably the only silver lining in all of this is that I'm definitely sure he's not going to flunk this like he is the league, since it would be impossible for him to do so.

And yeah, no kidding about Generation 8, I don't want a repeat of Ash going to school especially if he passes, and ESPECIALLY if the Gen 8 games have an actual Pokémon League present, and not just one being formed. Having Ash repeat school even after passing would come across as even WORSE than him losing a league. Not to mention the whole school thing's going to get stale sooner or later if it already hasn't by this point, and even the writers would be smart enough to realize that if SM did even worse in terms of ratings than XY did, it's probably a bad sell. And even if they WERE to repeat it, they'd need to do something to make it interesting, of which there are few viable options for doing so. I mean, what's next with Gen 8 if they go that route? Have Ash outright flunk entrance exams and then have to spend the entire generation running an inn to tide over and that inn being converted into a girls dorm? Actually, no, that's an even worse idea than just him repeating school. I always maintained since AG that Pokémon was going the Love Hina route in a bad way with the girl swapping (with only BW actually averting it to some extent via Iris), and if the Pokémon anime actually ends up blatantly ripping off Love Hina's plot premise for Ash's role in the Gen 8 anime, then the anime is officially deader than a doornail, even if Misty is still present in the cast.

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 25, 2018
Ash still wants to be a Pokémon master. Going to the school and doing the trails and battling the guardians is his training in Alola rather than the battling the gym leaders for the badges and entering various battles and competitions as extra training or to work with a specific Pokémon like it was in the past. In almost every episode he's shown working with 1 or more of his Pokémon on a specific move or a Z-ring attack. I didn't think they needed to break with the traditional formula either, but I think what they are doing works decently enough. The main problem is things are progressing so slowly and we're getting just about nothing but fillers so far.

Years
  • Seen Aug 29, 2020
Ash still wants to be a Pokémon master. Going to the school and doing the trails and battling the guardians is his training in Alola rather than the battling the gym leaders for the badges and entering various battles and competitions as extra training or to work with a specific Pokémon like it was in the past. In almost every episode he's shown working with 1 or more of his Pokémon on a specific move or a Z-ring attack. I didn't think they needed to break with the traditional formula either, but I think what they are doing works decently enough. The main problem is things are progressing so slowly and we're getting just about nothing but fillers so far.

Sorry, but no, he didn't need to do school. They could have easily just had him do the trials and leave it at that. Maybe also mention a league starting up and having Ash compete in that, and whoever gets top five becomes Elite 4 and Champion. Or heck, even better, maybe have him actually oversee the creation of the Alola league like in the games due to his runner up status from Kalos. Him going to school was unnecessary. For goodness sakes, the Pokémon Tech way back in Kanto episode all but proved that he didn't even NEED school to be a good trainer. If he didn't need school for the... oh, 20 years he's been on this show, why would he need it NOW?! Doing the school thing was completely unnecessary, period, no exceptions.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 11, 2019
Sorry, but no, he didn't need to do school. They could have easily just had him do the trials and leave it at that. Maybe also mention a league starting up and having Ash compete in that, and whoever gets top five becomes Elite 4 and Champion. Or heck, even better, maybe have him actually oversee the creation of the Alola league like in the games due to his runner up status from Kalos. Him going to school was unnecessary. For goodness sakes, the Pokémon Tech way back in Kanto episode all but proved that he didn't even NEED school to be a good trainer. If he didn't need school for the... oh, 20 years he's been on this show, why would he need it NOW?! Doing the school thing was completely unnecessary, period, no exceptions.

Thankyou for posting this

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
So based on the response since I last posted, SM will still suck despite Brock and Misty coming back. What would it take for SM to avoid sinking to last place on your list? More characters returning(say Serena or perhaps May and/or Dawn or heck all three?!), Team Rocket being relevant or something else entirely?

When I made my Top series list, I placed Kanto or Original Series in last place not because I disliked it but because I just liked the other series a tad bit better. Episodes 42 and 43 in Sun and Moon might cause me to reconsider its placement if they pull it off right and if they do, Sun and Moon might actually avoid its destiny in the last place slot(from which I'll have to think long and hard as to which series rightfully deserves it. Might end up being Advanced Generations in time... with Kanto/BW/SM straggling just above it).

Years
So based on the response since I last posted, SM will still suck despite Brock and Misty coming back. What would it take for SM to avoid sinking to last place on your list? More characters returning(say Serena or perhaps May and/or Dawn or heck all three?!), Team Rocket being relevant or something else entirely?

When I made my Top series list, I placed Kanto or Original Series in last place not because I disliked it but because I just liked the other series a tad bit better. Episodes 42 and 43 in Sun and Moon might cause me to reconsider its placement if they pull it off right and if they do, Sun and Moon might actually avoid its destiny in the last place slot(from which I'll have to think long and hard as to which series rightfully deserves it. Might end up being Advanced Generations in time... with Kanto/BW/SM straggling just above it).

Well, let's admit that SM was doomed from the start for me. The fact that the formula was a drastic change from everything before it was something that didn't resonate well with me, especially because school settings in Pokemon is something I only see executed well if it's for a few episodes, not an entire regional saga. Due to the latter being the case, this is causing bad pacing which also causes less hype for new episodes. Ash changing his goal was also I feel done solely due to Alola having no League.

Misty and Brock's appearance also screams nostalgic fanservice to me, something which heavily plagued the S/M games as well. I'm someone who's growing more and more disdain towards Kanto due to all the fanservice of that region plaguing the X/Y games, and now it's fallen into S/M. I don't mind Misty and Brock as characters, but if their appearance here was done solely for fanservice, then you know I'm not going to like it.

The SM anime needs to do a lot to save it from being the bottom of my barrel. The lack of battling and adventure is a problem since those keep us excited and to not have that being there makes it feel fillerish and boring. Slice-of-life that's focused on slapstick is also something I dislike, since the facial reactions become too much and the jokes don't even make me laugh because of how forced they are. It's making me believe modern kids only care about laughter and not good plots or characters. With how it's going at this rate, SM has already become worse than BW for me.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
Well, let's admit that SM was doomed from the start for me. The fact that the formula was a drastic change from everything before it was something that didn't resonate well with me, especially because school settings in Pokemon is something I only see executed well if it's for a few episodes, not an entire regional saga. Due to the latter being the case, this is causing bad pacing which also causes less hype for new episodes. Ash changing his goal was also I feel done solely due to Alola having no League.

Misty and Brock's appearance also screams nostalgic fanservice to me, something which heavily plagued the S/M games as well. I'm someone who's growing more and more disdain towards Kanto due to all the fanservice of that region plaguing the X/Y games, and now it's fallen into S/M. I don't mind Misty and Brock as characters, but if their appearance here was done solely for fanservice, then you know I'm not going to like it.

The SM anime needs to do a lot to save it from being the bottom of my barrel. The lack of battling an adventure is a problem since those keep us excited and to not have that being there makes it feel fillerish and boring. Slice-of-life that's focused on slapstick is also something I dislike, since the facial reactions become too much and the jokes don't even make me laugh because of how forced they are. It's making me believe modern kids only care about laughter and not good plots or characters. With how it's going at this rate, SM has already become worse than BW for me.

With what you said, its a wonder TPC didn't take a cue from Cartoon Network here in the states when they did Teen Titans Go. I mean to go from XY to Sun and Moon really reminds me of the day when I first saw Teen Titans Go and was like... WTF?!!!!! From those who fondly remember the 2003 to 2006 version that was based on the comics(Judas Contract for Terra's arc as an example), when they did Teen Titans Go it was like they resurrected a cherished friend only to mock it. In doing so they pissed off a lot of fans just to cater to kids whose attention span is 5 seconds thanks to cell phones and other electronic devices. Basically if its not Looney Toon humor crap meant to elicit laughs it isn't going to work. Its why a lot of cartoons lately are only 11 minutes long since anything longer and kids tune out. That's why when I saw Sun and Moon, I knew why they went the way they did(a lot of shows are going that way and they're trying to follow the crowd, although they're late to the party and it doesn't work).

I'll be posting an updated list sometime soon as I've been listening to OST's from the various series/regions(like Dawn's Contest Theme and they might alter my list slightly(granted the top two are unlikely to change).

Back