• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

AresTheAwesome

The Awesome Trainer...
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
I have chosen every single GBA starters so i must pick favorites. Its as simple as mudkip and charmander.

Swampert, I still use him (although hes lost his touch in the new Gen)

Charizard, Was in my most recent finishing of pokemon LG.

Spoiler:

Put it in a spoiler cus i was gettin off topic a bit. but read if u like^^

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I didn't actually like any of the Gen III starters so I chose Torchic (because it is kinda cute) and then used pretty much anything else for Sapphire. For Leaf Green it was Bulbasaur, it's strong and cute and cool! :D

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
Torchic, I have a weakness for choosing the cutest (in their unevolved forms) starters and not thinking about type advantages.

Zeroblivion

Brotherhood
Years
S/E: Torchic. It has the cutest basic form. I like it's 3rd evolution, Blaziken. Love it's names. My Blaziken is a male, so he is the most useful in my S/E team.
FR/LG: Bulbasaur! He's my first ever, but If Pokemon were true, my first Pokemon could be an Shinx. It is now a Venusaur and he's loyal to me.

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
RSE: Treecko because I usually choose grass starters.

FRLG: It's been a while since I played that but I'm pretty sure my first starter was Bulbasaur.

Years
  • Seen May 21, 2012
In the end, I got around to trying out all of them...but my preferences are...

Charmander or Bulbasaur for FRLG.
Torchic for RSE.

SolWolf

This user is over 9000!
Years
Sapphire - Mudkipz

Ruby - Torchic

Emerald - Torchic yet again

FireRed - Charmander

I seem to have an obsession over Fire types. XD

dash!

Epic
Years
Charmander. I can't help it Charizard's gotta be my favorite Pokemon ever.

And Torchic... because I really didn't like what the other starters involved into. :3

Years
Main versions:
FireRed- Charmander, traded commons for the other two
Emerald- the one for a faster play time, Mudkip

Other versions owned are played by selecting the starter that my play style can get through the game in fast play time. Squirtle in LeafGreen, but any works well enough in Hoenn.

PelipperMail

Banned
Years
I chose Torchic (I was going to choose Treecko, but my friend told me that Torchic was really cool...), and Bulbasaur. <3Bulbasaur

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 29, 2013
Torchic in Emerald, although I'm regretting it massively! Wish I'd gone for Mudkip.

I chose Charmander on FireRed. No brainer.

niven

Leader of Team LegendaryTrio
Years
I've used:
charmander (fire red)
pikachu (yellow, duh)
torchic (sapphire/emerald)
chikarita (heartgold)
cyndaquil (heartgold) I beat heartgold like 3 times
totodile (soulsilver)
chimchar (pearl/diamond/platinum)
oshawott (black)

Years
When I first had ruby I remember choosing Mudkip on the ride home from the store....Good times...I've never had FR or LG.

Years
In Pokemon Ruby, I chose Mudkip and it happened to be female. She's now a Swampert in my SS and boy does she kick butt!

My brother chose Mudkip when he played Sapphire and Emerald (he always chooses Water Starters).

Back