• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Just end it already!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Are there any shows that you like that you want to end? Or perhaps shows you don't want to get into because they're currently unfinished?

And by "finished" I'm specifically referring to shows that have no more entries other than maybe spin-off series and sequels, not later seasons. So Naruto, for example, is over. Boruto exists, but it's not so much a new season so much as it is a new show entirely.

This topic comes up because I think this pretty often, and it's actually a bigger problem for me when it comes to Western Live Action shows than anime- hell, half the reason I stick to anime is because they're generally shorter, making them easier to consume and digest. This helps, particularly for me, because I'm the type of person who likes a well-told, concise story without too much stringing along. I don't particularly mind filler depending on how it's used, but I also couldn't really speak well of a show that only has any sort of development in very select episodes- after all, progression, be it with characters, the story, world building that actually feels tangible past the episode it's introduced, is probably the best way to hook me (and most people, really) and get me to keep watching.

Not to say longer shows can't do those things or that longer shows always have to string you along or pad things out with pointless filler. If you think that, I've got some shows to recommend you, anime and otherwise. But I definitely think that the potential is most certainly higher for those problems to exist in longer form shows, and so it personally takes me a lot of motivation to get into something I'm going to be invested in for the long haul.

But what about you guys?

CidHazard

just a miserable pile of secrets
Years
Woah no that's my favorite manga you're talking about, it never gets old, either.

If it gets cancelled I'm gonna have words

Don't worry I'm sure the community would pitch in to have the manga extended.

Anyway XD,

Long running anime tend to be go so I doubt they'd get cancelled/end soon.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Shonen in general, but to be specific:

Pokemon, One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Dragonball, Fairy tail.

My biggest group of please god end.

It's not anime, but I want to throw in Star Wars too.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The trainwrecks that I'd really like to see conclude fortunately already ended.

Series, on the other hand, that I enjoy and that I'd really appreciate if they could end at some point, preferably before my own life has run out, include One Piece, Gintama, Berserk, HxH and JoJo's.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Nice, I had no idea. Which ones? The big 3 of Shonen Jump?
Bleach and Naruto, anyways. The other's Dragonball, since Super ended, though it'll probably get another season next year.

Fairytail's getting close with its final season coming later this year, too. But Pokemon and One Piece...eheh. Yeah. Yeah they're here forever.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Bleach and Naruto, anyways. The other's Dragonball, since Super ended, though it'll probably get another season next year.

Fairytail's getting close with its final season coming later this year, too. But Pokemon and One Piece...eheh. Yeah. Yeah they're here forever.

Is Super an anime or manga? Which comes first?

In any case, out of all these series, by far Super is the worst one. I never thought DB would acknowledge its deepest depths of fanfiction as part of the canon.

(Blue and pink hair Super Saiyan forms, for example)

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
I grew up with Z, but it doesn't hold up for me anymore. I don't think any of DB is well written, but the original DB and early Z has a special kind of charm to them I can't help but like. They're not poorly written either, just a little loose.

Z really should've ended where Toriyama originally wanted it to, at Frieza. That's the full circle arc of the story. Goku becomes the legendary Super Saiyan due to his different upbringing on Earth (that we were fully privy to in DB) and he roots out the force that put that scenario into action. That's a complete story.

I really can't say I've ever had fun watching Super. I'd prefer GT if only because it was trying to tell a story and bring up new points.
I can't dig the turn your brain off kind of fun in things like Super. It's just painful for me.

pkmin3033

Shokugeki no Soma is disgusting and it needs to go away.

pkmin3033

Disgust is quite a strong emotion to feel for a fairly standard shounen jumpu manga.
It's more a physical sensation than an emotion, actually - it makes me nauseous. I don't like the theme of it at all, but outside of that I don't find it any more offensive than any other Shounen Jump thing. If it had any other theme I wouldn't care about it.

I generally dislike any moments in anime where there is an excessive focus on food, so a whole show that focuses on it like this is...unpalatable. It could have the best plot and character development in existence and I wouldn't be able to watch it without feeling ill.

So yeah, different kind of thing.

I fully recognise that it's silly to want a show to end just because I don't like it, though. I mean...if you don't like it, don't watch it. Still, that's the thread topic, so...eh.

pkmin3033

I don't read manga so I couldn't say for certain, although I don't think the reaction is as strong to static images, no. It's more the vivid description that accompanies it that starts to make me feel ill after a while. I think it's probably mostly a culture thing, because there is a lot of cuisine from other areas of the world I find equally unpalatable. I don't have a very strong stomach.

But food scenes are pretty common in anime, and honestly I don't mind them all that much when they crop up - it really is the detail that gets me, and shows that focus on food inevitably like to go into detail because it's part of the experience. I can't fault the quality of a show that draws me into the experience like that because it's designed to do it, so if it does have that effect on me then it must be a fairly well-written show, or I wouldn't care at all. It's just...not an experience I want to have.

Then there is the seafood...yeah, no. "Seafood" is an oxymoron, as far as I'm concerned. It seems like 80% of Japanese dishes have some kind of sea creature in them - raw, as well! - and...ugh. I think that's probably why I dislike Japanese cuisine a little more than most: too many sea creatures. Then there are things like natto...

That said, I think it comes down to personal taste as well - I like sweet things (although not TOO sweet) so that doesn't bother me quite as much.

Last edited:

lv255

! צדק צדק תרדוף
Years
It did end, but Darling in the FRANXX. Peaked at episode 15 and was all downhill from there. Not like it wasn't doing pretty shitty prior to episode 15, but I had hopes that after 15 it would continue with the same quality. (Like, I legitimately was in tears watching Hiro and Zero Two tell each other they loved each other while piloting Strelizia. Hiro crying in absolute euphoria was the breaking point; I was walking on air for a week or so after that because it just lifted my spirits so much. Been a while since an anime episode has had that effect on me.)

Unfortunately that was not the case and the longer it went the worse it got. So I wish it had ended in, like, the next episode and not drove itself into the ground. I watched the rest, and it wasn't awful, but it wasn't good by any stretch of the imagination. Animation was nice, but that was really it. By that point I was just watching it for the little moments Hiro and Zero Two had with each other to talk about how much they loved each other.

Like machomuu said, it's more of a problem when it comes to western live-action. Western live-action is ... it usually feels like show producers consistently have no ideas. Anime is extremely creative and original, even if it's weird. Western live-action is the same rotating stock of zombie shows, superhero shows, and medical dramas. It feels like I'm watching the same show with a slightly different cast each time. And then they just drag it on ... and on ... and on ... a person gets sick of watching twelve, thirteen, fourteen seasons of the same show especially when it's not even good. Occasionally there are gems (I like The Good Place, for instance) that are creative, interesting, funny, and well-done, but they're few and far between. It happens to anime, too, of course, just not as often. With Fairy Tail, by episode 100 I was praying it would end, especially since it seems like after a certain point of a long-running anime, many creators just reduce their minor characters to one trait or otherwise completely mess with them. Like, for example, Mirajane Strauss has a horrifying power that she's told to basically never use because it's that powerful. She uses it one episode as a last resort and then uses it at LEAST once an episode for almost every episode after that. What happened to how powerful and terrifying it was? And you can't tell me it's because they're just meeting more powerful enemies. The guildmaster isn't an idiot. He wasn't calling it ultra-powerful without knowing its true power or the true power of some of these messed-up Ultimate Sorcerers or whatever. It's just lazy writing.

tl;dr it's exhausting when stuff goes on for too long because it inevitably leads to a drop in either the quality of the show or the quality of the characters (sometimes both). It can happen even in a below-thirty-episodes anime/show, so I don't think it's the length that's the problem ... moreso just knowing when your run is up and what kind of time you need to string everything together without timing things weirdly or bringing in last-minute enemies or anything like that.

Last edited:
Back