ROM Hacking Help Need a helping hand? You can get help on any ROM Hacking-related problems or questions you have here.

Closed Thread

Old August 5th, 2013 (7:14 PM).

Nature: Relaxed
    I'm having an issue with NPC sprites after battles, both wild and trainer.

After the battle I switch to their sprite and can't move, is there a way to prevent this or fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Eg
    Old August 5th, 2013 (7:16 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by jsziede View Post
      You have to temporarily turn off the antivirus software whenever you want to use A-Text. It's been over a year since I last had McAfee, so I can't remember what to do exactly. I remember disabling real time scanning for 15 minutes every time I wanted to use A-Trainer.
      Thanks, that seems to have solved the problem!
      Old August 5th, 2013 (9:35 PM).

This question is about playing a hack, not doing the actual hacking. I know that I need to patch the original clean rom with say an ips file, but after doing so, say a new version of that havk is released. Can I patch the rom that has already been patched with the previous version's ips file?
        Old August 5th, 2013 (10:56 PM).
        Memento Mori

Nature: Calm
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by TheRayquaza View Post
        This question is about playing a hack, not doing the actual hacking. I know that I need to patch the original clean rom with say an ips file, but after doing so, say a new version of that havk is released. Can I patch the rom that has already been patched with the previous version's ips file?
        That... varies... if the creator is REALLY sure that he did not change anything to previous variables/scripts/flags/etc... then you pretty much can but... it's not advisable.
        In most cases it causes many unseen bugs.

Anime List | PSN Trophy List
        Old August 6th, 2013 (2:12 AM).
        Rejishan awake...

Nature: Hardy
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by sCr45h View Post
          Does anyone know a good hack for me to play? I've played many of them but I cant seem to find one that catches my eye. I like hacks with: no fakemon, good storyline, 4th gen tiles, no remakes. Any suggestions?

I've played:
          Pokemon Flora Sky
          Pokemon Light Platinum
          Pokemon Fuligin
          Pokemon Dark Rising
          Pokemon Ash Grey
          Pokemon Liquid Crystal
          Pokemon Naranja
          Pokemon Red Adventure
          Pokemon Apollo...
          Any suggestions?
          My Pokemon Ruby Renev? In there to Hoenn Quest I add Johto region with own quest and extra 27 pokemon from Unova, Sinnoh and Kalos regions. Also I implement GOGAT RIDING. I know how.
          Old August 6th, 2013 (7:36 AM).
          What happens if I push it?....

Nature: Bold
            Quote:
            Originally Posted by egdailyfan View Post
            I'm having an issue with NPC sprites after battles, both wild and trainer.

After the battle I switch to their sprite and can't move, is there a way to prevent this or fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Eg
            This has been answered many times. First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map. Then, take the sprite you switch too and change it's person ID to 828. This will hide the sprite permanently. Now move it somewhere else on the map. Next, create a new sprite exactly alike to the old one, just with a different event number. DO NOT remove the old sprite. Then the issue will just shift to a new sprite.

Paired with Simba
            Old August 6th, 2013 (10:08 AM).

Quote:
              Originally Posted by karatekid552 View Post
              This has been answered many times. First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map. Then, take the sprite you switch too and change it's person ID to 828. This will hide the sprite permanently. Now move it somewhere else on the map. Next, create a new sprite exactly alike to the old one, just with a different event number. DO NOT remove the old sprite. Then the issue will just shift to a new sprite.
              Great, thanks!

I didn't know the technical term for the glitch, so I have had immense trouble finding it by searching anywhere.

-Eg
              Old August 6th, 2013 (10:48 AM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by Deokishisu.
              Mr. Magius

Quote:
                I was under the impression that the problem was the Look Down movement type itself. If you change all your Look Downs to No Movements, you'll not have to go through the process of hiding the offending person event and creating a new one. As an added bonus, No Movement and Look Down are visually identical, so your players won't know the difference.

While hacking, make a conscious effort to never use Look Down and use No Movement instead, and you'll never run into the problem of assuming control of another sprite after a screen refresh and getting stuck.

EDIT: I'm just gonna list some likely search terms in this post so that people can hopefully come across it in their searches.

control sprite switch battle move movement camera stuck help trapped trap controlling switched switching sprite's sprites battles moving
                Old August 6th, 2013 (11:17 AM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Deokishisu View Post
                  I was under the impression that the problem was the Look Down movement type itself. If you change all your Look Downs to No Movements, you'll not have to go through the process of hiding the offending person event and creating a new one. As an added bonus, No Movement and Look Down are visually identical, so your players won't know the difference.

While hacking, make a conscious effort to never use Look Down and use No Movement instead, and you'll never run into the problem of assuming control of another sprite after a screen refresh and getting stuck.

EDIT: I'm just gonna list some likely search terms in this post so that people can hopefully come across it in their searches.

control sprite switch battle move movement camera stuck help trapped trap controlling switched switching sprite's sprites battles moving
                  On RSE, this doesn't solve the problem. My solution is 100% guaranteed to work, and only takes about 30 seconds if you know what you are doing. I encountered this problem my self when I was hacking Ruby when I first started and I changed everything, and spent hours trying to fix it. In fact, the issue occurred with a sprite using the "Look Up" movement. Which is why, if you look in my response, I included both.

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by karatekid552
                  First, make sure they do no have the "Look Down" movement type in A-Map.
                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by egdailyfan View Post
                  Great, thanks!

I didn't know the technical term for the glitch, so I have had immense trouble finding it by searching anywhere.

-Eg
                  There is no technical term. Everyone describes it exactly as you did.

Paired with Simba
                  Old August 6th, 2013 (11:33 AM).
                  U MAD BRO?

Sorry to be off-topic but yeah guys lol sorry I have Advance-Map 1.82 (groan) idk where to get 1.92.
                    Sorry 4 any inconvenience.
                    Any alternative ways to edit dialogue on PKSV? I have tried copy/pasting script offsets into PKSV
                    and decompiling on PKSV but it's a bunch of gibberish to me and I checked the whole thing and found no dialogue.
                    :/
                    Old August 6th, 2013 (12:58 PM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by Xcisor.

Quick 2:

#1 - How can I change the In-Game Trades? - http://mail.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3468561

#2 - How can I change which version of your Rival you battle after the E4? (Fire starter, Grass Starter, Water Starter ect)
                      Old August 6th, 2013 (1:48 PM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by karatekid552.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by Xcisor View Post
                        Quick 2:

#1 - How can I change the In-Game Trades? - http://mail.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=3468561

#2 - How can I change which version of your Rival you battle after the E4? (Fire starter, Grass Starter, Water Starter ect)
                        Refer to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 Commands. In it, there is a special that will get the starter pokemon you picked and place it on a var. Then, you can compare this var and branch to three different battles depending upon your starter.

Quote:
                        Originally Posted by uliekztrollface? View Post
                        Sorry to be off-topic but yeah guys lol sorry I have Advance-Map 1.82 (groan) idk where to get 1.92.
                        Sorry 4 any inconvenience.
                        Any alternative ways to edit dialogue on PKSV? I have tried copy/pasting script offsets into PKSV
                        and decompiling on PKSV but it's a bunch of gibberish to me and I checked the whole thing and found no dialogue.
                        :/
                        http://filetrip.net/gba-downloads/tools-utilities/download-advance-map-192-f7463.html
                        ---

That is because it is reading the text as a script, not as raw text. There is no way to just open up text and adjust it, without knowing the script it is called in. However, if you just need a quick change, try this script:

Code:
                        #Dynamic 0x800000
                        #org @start
                        msgbox 0x08XXXXXX
                        callstd 0x2
                        end
                        Where XXXXXX is the offset of you text.

If you compile that, and then open up the script that you compiled, it will pull up the text for you also, which you can then edit and recompile. You can use this script over and over in it's post-compiled state, just by changing the XXXXXX again.

Hacking is all about thinking outside of the box. This is just another way of doing so.

Paired with Simba
                        Old August 6th, 2013 (2:02 PM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by Xcisor.

Quote:
                          Refer to JPAN's Study on the Special and Special2 Commands. In it, there is a special that will get the starter pokemon you picked and place it on a var. Then, you can compare this var and branch to three different battles depending upon your starter.

Thanks. To expand upon the question, where can I access the script boxes that edit the Champion battle as there don't appear to be any green "S" boxes on Advance Map for that match?!

EDIT: The script for the battle with the Champion in FR can be found @ $8162B76
                          Old August 6th, 2013 (2:38 PM).

Quote:
                            Thanks. To expand upon the question, where can I access the script boxes that edit the Champion battle as there don't appear to be any green "S" boxes on Advance Map for that match?!

EDIT: The script for the battle with the Champion in FR can be found @ $8162B76
                            Just for future reference, they are map scripts, found in the map Header in A-map.

Paired with Simba
                            Old August 6th, 2013 (3:07 PM). Edited August 6th, 2013 by Xcisor.

Quote:
                              Just for future reference, they are map scripts, found in the map Header in A-map.
                              Was unaware of the function before hand, thanks again.

Follow up and FINAL question, any way to change the "ROAMING POKEMON" in Fire Red? Aka Raikou, Entei Suicune based on which starter you chose? Wanted to change it to a Ho-oh if at all possible.

EDIT: I Know that the event for roaming is triggered by special 0x129 and that is checks var 0x4031 to see which of the three will roam, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint where and what numbers I need to change in the hex editor to make it Ho-oh!
                              Old August 6th, 2013 (10:24 PM).

Quote:
                                Was unaware of the function before hand, thanks again.

Follow up and FINAL question, any way to change the "ROAMING POKEMON" in Fire Red? Aka Raikou, Entei Suicune based on which starter you chose? Wanted to change it to a Ho-oh if at all possible.

EDIT: I Know that the event for roaming is triggered by special 0x129 and that is checks var 0x4031 to see which of the three will roam, but I can't seem to be able to pinpoint where and what numbers I need to change in the hex editor to make it Ho-oh!
                                If you use JPAN's engine, he created special to completely let you create swarms and roaming pokes. Here is a snippet from his guide:

Quote:
                                Special 0x56 – Swarm-roaming Pokémon changer

Receives Arguments? YES.
                                Variable 0x8004 has a long key:
                                0 to 0x3fff: faced as pokemon number
                                0x4000-> 0x8015: faced as pokemon number IN the variable stored in 0x8004
                                0x8000-> 0xfffc: not defined
                                0xfffd-> specific pokemon stored at a pointer kept in two variables, 0x8008 0x8009. I already explained how that worked before
                                0xfffe-> specific pokemon stored at a pointer, that must be placed by hand in 0x0203f488
                                0xffff-> specific pokemon stored at the LoadPointer location
                                -----------------------
                                Variable 0x8005 has the chances of appearance
                                Those chances are calculated by number of pokémon in 65536 encounters
                                0x0 means as rare as a shiny
                                0x7fff is 50% chance
                                0xffff means always. No chance of non-appearance
                                -------------------------
                                Variable 0x8006 is the quantity
                                0x1 means the pokémon will only appear once, 0x2 two times… until 255 appearences(0xff)
                                0x0 means unlimited appearances. Recommended for Swarm-like events
                                -------------------------
                                Variable 0x8007 lower half is the location, and the upper half is the level the pokémon is found in. Used to avoid “underwater Charizard”-like scenarios.
                                First 4 bits of the word are the location values. 0x0 does the same as 0xf, that is, the pokémon is found anywhere you want.
                                Bit 0 = grass
                                Bit 1 = surfing
                                Bit 2 = tree\rock-smash
                                Bit 3 = fishing
                                So 0x9 (1001b) would mean that the pokémon is found on grass and by fishing
                                The upper half is the level of a roaming pokémon. For instance, if you want a lv. 80 pokémon in the wild grass only, use setvar 0x8007 0x5001
                                Returns values? No

All of those make anyone be put off by this code, but don’t be. This code is one of the most useful in this entire hack. Basically, it lets you create two types of events that everyone missed in Fire Red: Swarms and Roaming Legendaries.
                                I know the Legendary dogs roamed Kanto, but I didn’t know how so I made up my version. Basically, this code replaces one normal wild pokémon and places on its stead one we really want to appear. You can only replace the level for Roaming codes, that is, only for the ones in that 0x8006 = 1. For swarms, however, you cannot. That is the pokémon there will always be at the area’s level. But the level problem can be solved easily with something I will talk at the bottom.
                                You might have noticed that the variable 0x8004 key has something interesting near the bottom: The ability to load predefined pokémon. They must be at a full 100 bytes, but that way you can fight specific pokémon you pre-selected, just like Pal-park on the DS versions. That opens the window for a number of possibilities, such as having to bring a specific pokémon to someone, like a runaway pokémon, complete with that NPC’s OTID and Name.
                                Also 0xfffe makes you input the pokémon by hand. If you never used this code before, most likely you will be surprised by a very well trained ?????????. Use, as always, writebytetooffset to prevent that disaster.

Special 0x57 – Swarm-roam Pokémon canceller

Receives Arguments? No.

Returns values? No

Cleans all, including the pokémon.

Now, if you just want these parts of his engine, and not the rest, download v1.1 from the end of this thread. In it, there will be a patch, and a program. The program is what you need. It is in folder "Hack Tool". This program will allow you to apply each of his hacks individually, so just check the boxes you want, click apply, and then click save and it will ask you where to save the new rom. Remember, he also included a .doc file that serves as a guide to every hack he made, and then some. I learned a lot about hacking just from reading it, nevermind how to use his engine specifically.

Paired with Simba
                                Old August 7th, 2013 (7:25 AM).
                                THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Nature: Sassy
                                  I want to replace ??? type with Fairy type. How would I go about doing that?
                                  Old August 7th, 2013 (7:40 AM).
                                  (☞゚ヮ゚)☞ http://GoGoJJTech.com ☜(゚ヮ゚☜)

Nature: Jolly
                                  Find the name of the ??? Type and change it. Then use a program that edits the type effectiveness. I did it manually, but there may be a tool that does it for you.

Support me at my site!
                                  Pokémon Platinum Red and Blue
                                  Old August 7th, 2013 (7:48 AM).
                                  THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Quote:
                                    Originally Posted by gogojjtech View Post
                                    Find the name of the ??? Type and change it. Then use a program that edits the type effectiveness. I did it manually, but there may be a tool that does it for you.
                                    What did you use for it? I've looked for tools to do that with you see, can't find any.
                                    Old August 7th, 2013 (8:39 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                      Quote:
                                      Originally Posted by Branellope View Post
                                      I want to replace ??? type with Fairy type. How would I go about doing that?
                                      NOOO, you don't. ??? is used for eggs and the move Curse. So think. Think before you do.

Paired with Simba
                                      Old August 7th, 2013 (8:51 AM).
                                      THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.

Quote:
                                        NOOO, you don't. ??? is used for eggs and the move Curse. So think. Think before you do.
                                        Bleeehhhh how can I just add a new type?
                                        Old August 7th, 2013 (9:27 AM).

Quote:
                                          What did you use for it? I've looked for tools to do that with you see, can't find any.
                                          Here's the tool.
                                          http://www.sendspace.com/file/685yxv
                                          Old August 7th, 2013 (9:59 AM).

Location: Do you really want to know? Really?
                                            Quote:
                                            Bleeehhhh how can I just add a new type?
                                            Hacking the types with ASM.

Paired with Simba
                                            Old August 7th, 2013 (3:29 PM).
                                            DoesntKnowHowToPlay DoesntKnowHowToPlay is offline
                                            Tiny Umbrella with Lots and Lots of Good

Quote:
                                              Hacking the types with ASM.
                                              Do you actually need ASM for that? The type advantages are handled by a (somewhat strange) table somewhere, so you should just be able to change things to types past the normal ones without any ASM. Might have to break a few limiters and you'd obviously have to edit the type graphic, but IIRC there was space for a few freebie types.

(not to mention that if you retype curse and don't have eggs, ??? is perfectly usable as long as you either use the phys/spec split or break all the related checks)

http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=266698 relevant

Yet Another Fire Red Hack

Physical/Special Split
                                              Old August 7th, 2013 (4:03 PM).

Is it possible to add new graphics to unlz gba without replacing them?
                                                Closed Thread

Quick Reply