The PokéCommunity Forums General Pokémon Discussions Pokémon Anime
How can you improve Ash/Satoshi?

Pokémon Anime Are you a regular watcher of the Pokémon Anime and its Movies or just an old fan? Come here, and take part in all the various ongoing discussions about the Pokémon Anime.

Old 5 Days Ago (1:50 PM). Edited 5 Days Ago by Quiji.
All I Want For Xmas

Quote:
    Originally Posted by tigertron View Post
    It also doesn't help that Pikachu's level seemingly resets with every generation and Ash has trouble battling rookie trainers.
    Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.

The only alternatives to resetting him that I could see would be: a) having Ash use him less and only against extremely tough opponents; but this would be somewhat counterproductive in a way given that Pikachu's the mascot and therefore needs to battle regularly, or b) introduce power creep and put Ash's opponent's Pokemon in each new region on the same skill level as his Pikachu or stronger, although this would backfire on Ash's new Pokemon since they'd be way weaker than Pikachu at the beginning, so they'd have to train even harder to catch up.
    Old 5 Days Ago (9:10 PM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by Entei Fan View Post
      I doubt that, Gary/Shigeru is bassicly Green/Blue and we ALL know how he acts

Sure he helps pokemon in generation 4 but he's bassicly android saga Vegeta, a selfish prick

Even Silver learned that hurting pokemon is wrong despite being Sasaki's son
      Yeah, I'm doubtful Gary would qualify as the Vegeta of any saga, let alone the Android saga (actually, come to think of it, none of Ash's rivals would have qualified for one good reason: None of them sought to prove their superiority to Ash due to a chip on their shoulder from being beaten. Actually, ironically enough, Ash himself matched Vegeta in that regard). Besides, Gary never ditched his Pokémon when showing either any weakness from losing or, heck, if it had a poor performance overall DESPITE winning, while Paul was rather notorious for doing that with his Pokémon. Actually, if Paul was comparable to ANY trainer, it was Damian, aka, Ash's Charizard's ex-owner who deceived it into getting itself killed in a rainstorm.
      Old 4 Days Ago (4:30 AM).
      ~Pokemon fan 4 life~

Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D

I didn't make this but its wonderful and beautiful :3 x3

Hiyo, i'm Jirachu~<3 Kawaii Pikachu and Jirachi cross, though now my favorite Pokemon character is Korrina; and I crush HARD on her lemme tell ya lol :3
      Jackster is a good friend of mine on this forum so be nice to him please.
      I wanna make other good friends here too ^_^
      Being girly is wonderful!!!!! :D

Kimi is my big sister and i'm a pokemon fan 4 life :3
      Old 3 Days Ago (1:40 PM).

Nature: Calm
        Quote:
        Originally Posted by Quiji View Post
        Pikachu's resets are needed, though. If he had kept a steady growth and power level from OS until now with no downgrades, he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents, which would be ridiculous from a writing standpoint since his matches would become anti-climactic and predictable.
        While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
        Old 3 Days Ago (2:20 PM).
        Pokémon World Champion

Nature: Naughty
          Quote:
          Originally Posted by RickGrimes View Post
          While I somewhat agree with this, it still seems completely ridiculous to lose to an inexperienced Snivy.

Yeah, I take every chance I get to vent about that.
          Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
          Old 3 Days Ago (3:46 PM). Edited 3 Days Ago by weedle_mchairybug.

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Twilight-kun View Post
            Except Snivy wasn't inexperienced, as it already knew Leaf Tornado and had already evolved the next time Ash met it a few days later

"But Pikachu should've defeated it anyway!"

Sure, except without its electricity, it had no stamina and by the end of the battle was visibly panting and sweating

"But it still knew Iron Tail and Quick Attack!"

See previous statement about zero stamina
            1. Ah, last I checked, Snivy alongside Trip were literally just starting out on their first journey at all, let alone together, when they fought (and beat) Ash for the first time, just exited the regional Pokémon Lab. That points to it being inexperienced, period. It knowing a high-level attack doesn't mean it's experienced. Or do I have to remind you of how Pikachu knew high-level attacks in the first episode even though it and Ash were explicit rookies. Now, maybe if he were like Paul and it's made clear that he was not from Unova, I'd at least roll with the idea that he was at least experienced enough to give Ash a hard time. But as it is, Trip and his Snivy were both inexperienced.

2. Since when does Iron Tail require stamina? Last I checked, that wasn't a move like, say Double Edge, where using the attack drains your own HP via recoil. Quick attack, I can sort of understand due to low stamina resulting in a loss of speed, and speed being essential for a move like Quick Attack, but Iron Tail definitely doesn't work like that, just results in a hardening of the tail to deal a heavy blow to the opponent, and it doesn't even need electricity either.

And quite frankly, I also consider it ridiculous that Ash's Pikachu would lose to two rookie Pokémon after beating a Regice single-handedly and with minimal effort, oh, and also a person who doesn't even DO Pokémon training anymore due to retiring to take over the family business. Slightly below the Snivy incident, but still pretty ridiculous.
            Old 2 Days Ago (10:04 AM). Edited 2 Days Ago by Entei Fan.
            Canine pokemon fan

Nature: Gentle
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by LadyJirachu View Post
              Ash should confess that he like's Dawn in some point in the anime.

Pearlshipping should be made 100% official 'cuz pearlshippers are awesome people :D
              I prefer AshxMisty but AshxDawn works too, specially since she is voiced by Minnie's VA and previously by Twilight Sparkle's VA in the polish dub

Quote:
              he'd end up one-shotting practically all his opponents
              You meant that Ash's Pikachu isn't a weakling? O_o

Original nick - BH
              Name - Bartek
              Old 1 Day Ago (2:23 PM).
              Cat Burglar

Nature: Relaxed
                I don't get why the Snivy argument is still used, as if fans hadn't learned by BW that Pikachu gets weaker at the beginning of each new saga naturally. Zekrom coming in was just the cherry on top that helped seal Pikachu's loss against Snivy, but Pikachu would've lost even without that extra handicap thanks to PLOT.
                Old 1 Day Ago (3:37 PM).

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Alloute View Post
                  I don't get why the Snivy argument is still used, as if fans hadn't learned by BW that Pikachu gets weaker at the beginning of each new saga naturally. Zekrom coming in was just the cherry on top that helped seal Pikachu's loss against Snivy, but Pikachu would've lost even without that extra handicap thanks to PLOT.
                  It still comes across as stupid. At least justify the loss by making clear that Trip is about as much of a veteran as Ash, and even have him use an evolved starter to prove the point. That would at least neatly allow Pikachu a loss to indicate there are bigger fish without making him look weak and humiliating him.

Quick Reply