AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness

Male
The Windy Potato
Seen May 2nd, 2016
Posted March 21st, 2016
122 posts
4 Years
I would quit Pokemon forever. I'm not even joking. That would rub me the wrong way. Leave Kanto for its own thing. It had its nice little postgame cameo in Gen II and its own thing in Gen I. It doesn't need anymore. If GameFreak decided to take that lazy path and give us a carbon copy story, I'd be done with them. They have to pull out all the stops this year and give us something amazing and new. Anything short of that would be a huge disappointment, seeing how they've built up Pokemon20.

Can you tango like a mango?

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!

Age 25
Male
Littleroot Town
Seen June 1st, 2019
Posted September 10th, 2018
2,369 posts
10 Years
Based on the concept art I'm thinking the region is based on somewhere Mediterranean, I'm guessing Spain due to Hotel Horsea and the Jeep shown and Spain is kinda dry/desert-y.

Story wise, I think its still connection to Kalos, the name of these games are 'Sun' and 'Moon', at first thought you might think Chinese. The sun and moon are also a big deal in Norse mythology. Such as when Skoll and Hati chasing the sun and moon, and when they consume them the world goes into darkness / ragnarok.

Thoughts?
Female
Seen April 22nd, 2018
Posted March 2nd, 2018
895 posts
5 Years
I would quit Pokemon forever. I'm not even joking. That would rub me the wrong way. Leave Kanto for its own thing. It had its nice little postgame cameo in Gen II and its own thing in Gen I. It doesn't need anymore. If GameFreak decided to take that lazy path and give us a carbon copy story, I'd be done with them. They have to pull out all the stops this year and give us something amazing and new. Anything short of that would be a huge disappointment, seeing how they've built up Pokemon20.
Luckily for you, I don't think that'll happen. The fact that Kanto already has a sequel significantly decreases the odds of it getting another one, and it seems pretty obvious that GF wants to use the RBY VC re-release as a substitute for a new Kanto game/remake, anyways.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Age 25
Male
Oregon
Seen September 24th, 2018
Posted July 3rd, 2018
17,521 posts
9.7 Years
I think Johto would be more likely than Kanto given the names bring to mind Ho-oh and Lugia. I don't think it'll be Johto though.
I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:
https://www.wattpad.com/user/ImperialSun

illumine

Male
Obscure cities, that are dark.
Seen July 4th, 2016
Posted July 4th, 2016
621 posts
5.1 Years
To be fair, that seems to be more about continuity, and hence you might not expect something completely new. As far as new Pokemon, it looks more like something you'd expect from a new region, and in that sense Kanto is unlikely to be involved except perhaps nominally. As said, with Yellow and G/S/C, Kanto has probably been brought up in more variations than the other regions, and hence resurrecting it might be unlikely, although it could happen if they felt the need at some point.

That said, if you're expecting something from this year for that reason, would some games revisiting the earlier region really come across as enough to put you off the games? You might expect some sort of homage to such games, as otherwise it just becomes a series of games which is slightly more hyped up than usual, and perhaps slightly hurried despite the time in-between.

Kanto on a 3DS would be weird, however, and perhaps slightly overcrowded and unwieldy, so they may not want to go down that route.
When it dawns that Keats' idea of 'negative capability' is basically reducible to the public perception of Lucario.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn

Age 25
Male
Oregon
Seen September 24th, 2018
Posted July 3rd, 2018
17,521 posts
9.7 Years
I actually really dig the idea of another story set in Kanto. It's unlikely but it'd be cool to maybe see new places and parts of the region that we haven't seen before.

Wait, where does it say the new region is tropical? 0.o
The region being tropical is an assumption based on the concepts art seen in the trailer. One can see palm trees in the picture with what seems to be an Aquarium or Hotel.

During late summer Masuda was in southern France, saying he was "studying" on twitter where he shared images of the sites he saw. This region might be based on southern France which has a more tropical climate than the north.
I'm currently working on some novels. If you're interested you can read them here:
https://www.wattpad.com/user/ImperialSun

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness

Male
The Windy Potato
Seen May 2nd, 2016
Posted March 21st, 2016
122 posts
4 Years
To be fair, that seems to be more about continuity, and hence you might not expect something completely new. As far as new Pokemon, it looks more like something you'd expect from a new region, and in that sense Kanto is unlikely to be involved except perhaps nominally. As said, with Yellow and G/S/C, Kanto has probably been brought up in more variations than the other regions, and hence resurrecting it might be unlikely, although it could happen if they felt the need at some point.

That said, if you're expecting something from this year for that reason, would some games revisiting the earlier region really come across as enough to put you off the games? You might expect some sort of homage to such games, as otherwise it just becomes a series of games which is slightly more hyped up than usual, and perhaps slightly hurried despite the time in-between.

Kanto on a 3DS would be weird, however, and perhaps slightly overcrowded and unwieldy, so they may not want to go down that route.
There's a difference between revisiting regions and just basing a game in a region that's already been done before simply so they don't have to put any work into the games. As a post-game gimmick? sure, throw whatever you want into the post-game. That was one of the charming things about Gen II. As the region the game is based in? I'd honestly skip the games. I would not buy into them rehashing the Kanto region again. It's lazy and seriously lacking in creativity. If that turned out to be their big "20th anniversary" bang, it would break my heart.

Can you tango like a mango?

Mikachu

Veteren Trainer

Age 22
Female
Cali
Seen 1 Week Ago
Posted 1 Week Ago
120 posts
10 Years
I've heard from people on another form that the region may also be based off of Spain because in 2013 Masuda rook a visit to Barcelona, Spain and really enjoyed it.

As my friend TerraCotta stated; "Barcelona being right on the coast of the Mediterranean. Also two of the artworks shown in the trailer feature the Pokemon Horsea, a Fountain and most importantly a flag. The flag of the Mediterranean flag has a seahorse on it.
Some say Singapore because the architecture of many of the buildings in the art we've seen are reminiscent of it. But my money's honestly on Spain."

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent

Age 31
Male
Marysville, Washington State, United States
Seen March 1st, 2018
Posted March 1st, 2018
9,433 posts
5.8 Years
I agree that based on the concept art that the region could most likely based on a country that is bordered by the Mediterranean. Course I bet the country that the region will be based on is either Italy or Greece.

As for story, I am unsure on my spectulation.
Owner of Play Well - The LEGO Fan Club

OSO STRONG

#TeamPopplio

Altius

Flygon Fan

Age 23
Male
Singapore
Seen February 26th, 2019
Posted February 26th, 2019
1,010 posts
7.1 Years
I read somewhere that Masuda actually went to Spain before this announcement. Not really sure if that's true because I don't follow him on Twitter. However, Spain would make a lot of sense. The close proximity to France (Kalos) also gives it the possibility of expansion.

XY honestly felt incomplete. I hope this game does fill up the missing pieces.

Palamon

Has sent out Pikachu!

Age 22
Male
Milaturia.
Online now
Posted 1 Day Ago
5,225 posts
10.9 Years
Literal same to this.

It won't be Kanto, that'd be really stupid, since it's being advertised as a new generation =/
Theme: Leo Tsukinaga
Pair: Go

Arylett Charnoa

Bored.

Age 27
Female
MIANG Labs
Seen September 26th, 2019
Posted October 18th, 2017
1,130 posts
5.8 Years
Straight from Pokemon website,
"Pokémon Sun and Pokémon Moon are coming out for systems in the Nintendo 3DS family in holiday 2016, with a new world, new Pokémon, and new adventures to discover!"

end of thread right there.
I remember that ORAS pretty much had the same description. (Minus "new Pokemon") So I heavily distrust any of this marketspeak. Unless some real person says it in real words, I don't trust it.

So I doubt it's Kanto, but I'm paranoid and don't trust anything, so I really hope it isn't. I mean, yes, that would be perfect for the series' anniversary, but I'd rather have a new region that has heavy homages to all of the other regions than just... more Kanto. God, I am so sick of all of this Gen I nostalgia. I'm glad you're finally realizing that there are older fans of the series, Gamefreak, but this is really where I'd draw the line.
Male
Dominican Republic
Seen June 22nd, 2016
Posted May 20th, 2016
27 posts
4 Years
Spain sounds about right. Since Spain and France have a history of war, it fits with the war from 3000 years ago. What if Kalos and that other region where fighting over who ascends to the throne, with Kalos wanting it to be AZ and the other region wanting it to be AZ's brother, like in the real life War of Spanish Succesion, well sort of.
That would also explain how, being the descendant of AZ's younger brother, Lysandre is an infuelcial figure in Kalos, because Spain and France became allies after said war.
This is taken from my most recent history class which in turn had to be translated, so take this with a grain of salt. It's nothing more than baseless speculation anyways...

Altius

Flygon Fan

Age 23
Male
Singapore
Seen February 26th, 2019
Posted February 26th, 2019
1,010 posts
7.1 Years
Real world Singapore is really tiny (only ~50km from East to West). If GF were to ever use this island for a region, they'll have to expand it massively, or use parts of Malaysia as well.

As much as I hope for Singapore to be the inspiration for the next region, it seems like a Mediterranean-based region is more likely.

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥

Age 25
Male
Alola
Seen 18 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
785 posts
8.6 Years
Singapore seems quite plausible for the region's basis, but now that you think of it, it may be Mediterranean, Italy or Greece maybe (Greece would be a great basis for a region). I was hoping for a UK based region, but that building doesn't tie in with the UK as it seems tropical. Maybe it could be based off of Los Angeles.
"Hello, I'm your hope, you're my hope, I'm J-Hope!" - J-Hope

"Music really transcends languages, and it means so much." - RM

"Go on your path, even if you live for a day." - Jimin

"Cause I'm Irish, and everyone remembers me." - Niall Horan

"Treat people with kindness." - Harry Styles

"Feel free to insult me, but you don’t have the right to insult our fans." - Louis Tomlinson

"Believe in something bigger than yourself and find your purpose." - Justin Bieber

Freddy Fazbear

You want the moon? I'll give you the moon.

Age 23
Male
Bedford Falls
Seen December 19th, 2016
Posted May 6th, 2016
326 posts
8.3 Years
I get the tons of Singapore ideas out there, but I'm gonna be an oddball and hope that it takes place in a region based on Peru or Brazil or Chile. South American countries with plenty of old Aztec or Inca-inspired ruins to explore. And I dunno, every time I think "sun" in a mythical setting I always think the Aztecs for some reason. Plus, that'd be a huge leap out side of Pokemon's comfort zone of doing developed nations. Give some other nations a chance, maybe ones that don't have too much money. Actually, my friend was saying maybe Africa could be a potential inspiration, since the whole continent has so many varying biomes on it.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]

Male
scotland
Seen September 28th, 2018
Posted March 16th, 2018
8,871 posts
8.7 Years
Just merged together three threads on this topic. Please check that your thread doesn't already exist before you make it.
s͎̭̚ ̪ͭͩy͔͚̰̻̗̩̺ͣ́ͨ̌͡ ̩̳̙̖̖̺͡m̷̱̘͎̝̘̣͒͌͒̚ ͇͖̔̐̔b̝̪͚̞̦ͬ ̢͔̱̟̞̝͙̮͌̅̈̓̿̿i͐̈̃͊ͯ̎҉̟̠͓ ͕̥̣̪̠̃͑͞ỏ̵͕̠̱̬̬̞͛̋ ̨͈̻̱̟̱͓̪n͒̒͂͊̀ ̻̰̰̜̅̃͒̂͞tͭ̍̈́ ͙͇̘͕͍̜̖ͫ̌̊̿ͫ̂̀:̵̾͒̔͂ ̟͉̜̽͒͌͜p͎͇͎̦̺̙͒͆͋́ͅ ̨̠̠̘͚͖̺ͫ͛̎̉a̲͍̫͖͗̄ ͓͖͍̯̤̼͙̿̆̂̂̄r̬̟̮͖̥̼̆̓͑̃̾ͬ̉͟ͅ ̬̼̗͊͛a̛̯̮ ̮̬͍̙̮̤́ͪŝ͊ͬ̒̎̃ ̧̝̮͎͙͆̓ì͈̹̻̱̾͝ ̘͉͕̭̊ͤ̉̓tͩͯ̉̐ͨͬ̚͏̻̺̖̮ ̞̘͂̋̋ͯ͑ͦ͗e̞͔̎̇ͫ͊͗

blue

gucci

Male
United Kingdom
Seen August 12th, 2019
Posted August 7th, 2019
21,061 posts
11.9 Years
Multiple regions.

Just a thought here but there were mentions of a moondial from a NPC in Anistar City, so I wouldn't be surprised if these games took place to an area close to Kalos. It could well take place in Catalonia which is the northern part of Spain, incidentally this boarders onto France. Assuming these games are a new generation but are some sort of sequels to X and Y, I'd love to be able to travel between the new Region and Kalos just like we could in the Gen II games.

kartöflur

actual potato

Female
murica
Seen February 11th, 2017
Posted May 17th, 2016
23 posts
5 Years
I'm hoping it's based off of Spain/Southern France, and will be the area south of Kalos, including Kiloude City, where you could hopefully take a train into Kalos. I'm a big fan of Kalos so I'm really biased about it.

I wonder if the various trucks shown briefly in the trailer will end up being anything significant. It's unlikely that you'll be able to drive them yourself, going along with the ten-year-old protagonist thing, but one of the designs looked like a travelling Pokémon Center/ambulance.
the future is now, thanks to science

TCB

Tranquilo.

Age 25
Male
New York City, USA
Seen August 16th, 2019
Posted February 21st, 2019
588 posts
9.7 Years
I think I briefly mentioned what I hope to see in the new games. Well I'm going to beef up that list or sorts with more. Again I think I mentioned a couple of these before but eh. As for hopes and dreams I've touched up upon them in previous pages but nonetheless:

An ACTUAL Difficulty Curve: NO EXP SHARE NEAR THE START OF THE GAME. This was the game breaker for both of my regional adventures. Have us train with having trainers whose AI isn't as mind numbing easy, challenging encounter rates, make the Gym Leaders an ACTUAL challenge. I get why they want to simplify the mechanics for the causal, but don't sack rice everything for the hardcore fans who hope for a little more challenge themselves. I'm talking Platinum level of hard. If they can bring back the difficulty levels of B2W2 that'll be great, but if so please have that as an option at the start of the game, not locked behind the post game which by them it can be moot.

More Visually Appealing Environment: Already explained what I hope to see. ORAS Hoenn is now my most favorite region in terms of how vibrant things are, and graphically the over world compared to XY is appears to. Even then, I hope that this region feels more organic and not tied down to the restrictive squarish nature that Game Freak employs in the games. While I liked Hoenn the same blocky feel still made the place feel a bit dull. Since I see the graphical improvements of XY -> ORAS to that of DP -> Pl -> HGSS of how a generation improved visually I hope Sun and Moon can do the same.

Post Game: I get harken get back the roots for XY had a few pros, it definitely had a lot of cons, especially for the post game, if you can call it that. Outside the Looker side quest it was virtually non existent. At least it felt that way. Especially since it's predesccor has arguably the 2nd best post game ever (behind the Johto based games of course). It was a major letdown. ORAS swung things back in the right direction with its enjoyable Delta Episode and I hope S&M has not only something like that, but other post game areas that B2W2 managed to do. Speaking of one of those things...

Post Game REMATCHES: Not even ORAS had them, and while I get these games were mostly tied in with the originals with subtle hints of Emerald, it sucks that the entire 6th Gen had no sort of Gym Leader rematches of any kind.

As for Evil Teams/Main Game Advneture Stuff...I've been in the game for so long I just know things won't change to much. It would be nice to have a female leader of said evil team though. Or perhaps this evil team is like a family with a secret organization or something. But THOSE are more of a pipe dreamt hen what was already said I feel.

Mega Evolutions: All I want to see is my boy Mega Flygon get confirmed. After that I don't care. Maybe Mega Milotic. Honestly I don't want that many Pokemon to get a Mega, not every final stage Pokemon should really get one.

But MEGA FLYGON SHOULD GET ONE CMON GAME FREAK PLEASE
Advertiser Content