• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OOC: Atlantis Arising [M]

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Main Information:
Name: Garrett Daniel Flynn
Height: 183 centimeters/ 6 feet
Weight: 69 Kg / around 150

Appearance:
Atlantean Tattoo: Located on Garrett's neck, underneath his left ear. The top is visible unless he is wearing a collared shirt, which is unlikely. The tattoo runs down until it reaches his clavicle. It consists of two curving lines that intersect about halfway down. A seperated diagonal line does through the intersection at a 45 degree angle.
Physical: Garret is very lean. He isn't exactly the muscular type, and often gets picked on for his skinniness. He has really dark skin and tans easily. He has a sharp face that has a certain alertness to it, giving others the impression that he is always paying really close attention. His hair is long, brown, and shaggy. He often lazily pulls it back into a ponytail, but he sometimes wears it behind his ears. His eyes are deep blue, with great depth in them. He has perfect teeth, and keeps them white and healthy. His neck is rather skiiny, even compared to the rest of his body. His shoulders aren't really wide, giving him a gangly look with his long skinny arms. He has really long fingers as well. His fingernails are chewed up and pretty shabby, he bites them when he's nervous. His legs are long, but proportional to his height. They look longer than they are, considering their thin width. His feet are big, a size 11 (42 Euro)
Clothing: Garrett wears T-shirts with iconic logos on them and jeans, most of the time. His shoes range from New Balance sneakers to cheap flip flops, though he is most seen wearing black sneakers. He wears jackets or hoodies in cold weather. His jackets are usually bright colors with black desgins on them, for example, a lime green hoodie with thick black lines diagonally tracing the left side. He wears corrective lens glasses, finding contacts too time consuming. For formal occations, he usually wears a regular, black tuxedo, and usually rented. He doesn't like shorts, because they don't cover his legs and he doesn't like people to see his skinny legs. His favorite Tee is a red shirt with spiderman's insignia on it. He has other superhero shirts, but spiderman is his favorite. His other shirts have thing like Coca cola on them, or say clever comments like "I'm only here for the wifi". His jeans are all black and skinny, though on him they aren't too form fitting.

Personality: Garrett is a quirky guy thats often said to be too smart for his own good. He sometimes misunderstands what people mean when they speak with him, or misses that it has meaning at all. He is a nice guy however, and doesn't try to get in people's ways. He does have friends, but not many, as his way of thinking is off from other people. He can seem dysfunctional and sporatic at times, often jumping from place to place doing everything that needs to be done at the same time. This often leads to him totally ignoring anyone in the room, and if he gets into something (like when he reads) a plane could literally land behind him and he wouldn't notice. When he does notice someone's feelings, however, he is sincere and trys to be helpful, but he usually isn't suited for helping people in that area. Around people he knows, such as family and classmates, he acts friendly and polite, trying to sound like he is paying attention to them, and not working on some abstract theory in his mind. Its not that he doesn't care, he just doesn't know what to say really. He does like humour and will often try to make jokes himself, usually failing due to over complication.

On the whole, he is a very respectful, polite, and honest young man. However, he does have the tendancy to automatically respond when he's zoned out. "Yes" "No" "Uh huh". If he says any of these things often, he isn't actually paying attention. He doesn't really connect with people often. He usually doesn't make it past the "whats up?" stage in a conversation. Fot the first time ina while, he has taken interest in something outside his studies. The recent news of the atlanteans has his facinated rather than afraid like his classmates. He wants to learn more about them, and how they have their abilities.

History: Garrett was born in Florida, USA. His parents were both average people, his dad a dentist and his mother a receptionist at his father's office. He has no siblings, and often came to work with his parents, staying in the waiting room reading all of the magazines. He had read them all by the tme he was 6, and moved on to checking out books from the library. Whatever Garrett read, he understood. When he went to school, he already knew a considerable amount than the other kids, and was placed in advanced classes. Even then, he was always ahead of the game. His parents were obviously proud of him, but concerned that he didn't have any friends. Well, he finally made one in the 3rd grade. Ricky, another bright kid, was always with Garrett. The two were almost insperable for a year. Garrett and Ricky could keep up with each other, a feat not accomplished by most people. One day Garrett and Ricky were walking home together from school, when Ricky collapsed. Garrett rushed to a nearby house, who's inhabitants called 911 when they heard what happened. Ricky was taken to a hospital, where it was revealed dehydration had caused him to fall. But while in the hospital, Ricky somehow caught pnemonia. It did a great job on his lungs, and he died a few weeks later.

Garrett, suprisingly, wasn't exactly torn by his friend's death. Sure, he was upset, but he continued life normally after a week or so. His parents were concerned about him, but he insisted that he was fine. He went back to school the day after Ricky died, and still made great grades. This continued until the fifth grade, where he was placed in a high school. He was often bullied and intimidated by the older kids, getting picked on because he was so young. Even then, he was usually one of the top scorers on tests. He felt like the others kids weren't like him, and often thought about himself as a superhero. He would stay up at night, thinking about a movie they would make about him. In school, he aced every standardized test the state had, and didn't miss a question on the SAT. By the time he was a senior, he had made perfect scores in all of his classes. His parents, teachers, and classmates were dumbfounded. He went off to college, where he finally thought people would be as smart as him. But he was still the sharpest guy there. Although, not as far ahead as he was in high school. He only just managed to stay on top, studying hard for the first time. He misses his parents, but he goes and sees them on holidays and long weekends, so its not a big deal.

He was in a lecture when the crystal was revealed. There wasn't a direct effect on him. He didn't even know the Atlanteans existed until the next morning. At first he was puzzled, then fascinated. He started gathering all the data he could on them, though aside from the fact they existed and were superhuman, nothing solid turned up. He started contemplating about their powers, hoping to understand and even mimic them, but he couldn't figure it out. Ten days later, he went swimming. While underwater, he started to feel tingly, and as if he had a rash on his neck and hands. When he came out of the water, people who saw him either screamed and fled, or froze. He didn't know why, so he dismissed the incedent entirely, as he usaully does. He did however, notice his hands as he lifted them out of the water. They had begun to form webbing between his fingers. At first, he thought his eyes were tricking him, but the webbing dissapeared before his eyes. Curious, he put them back underwater. The webbing slowly grew back. He dove underwater, and felt the rash on his neck again. It startled him, and he took a breath in. He could breathe. He opened his eyes underwater to see his hands again, and his eyes were covered by a clear eyelid, allowing him to see underwater without hurting his eyes. He became exicted that he was Atlanean (his only "logical" conclusion) and genuinely felt happy to be a part of something, which he had never experienced before

Ability: Garrett's body adapts to his enviroment if he is currently unfit for it. Garrett experimented on himself, and found that he could adapt to accomodate for most situations. His night vision improved (although not as good as his day vision) when he went into dark places, his pupils growing to inhuman sizes. He walked on gravel, and the bottom of his feet hardened and made the pain lessen. He turned his dorm temperature down to 36 degrees (F), and his skin thickened and kept him warmer. It seemed most situations caused his body to adapt to survive.

When being hit by blunt objetcs, his skin hardens to keep himself from hetting hurt too much. His skin becomes fore retardent in extreme heat conditions, and he can adapt to survive without oxygen or water for extended periods of time. His skin can also turn spongy, which softens attack rather than deflect them. It won't make him physically stronger or faster, but it can make him more limber and flexible. His bones can become stronger, his height can change, and he can even regurgitate poison he swallows. He can't control his ability, rather it happens whenever the situation calls. He can't use it for camoflague persay, but it can alter his skind color to help predetors not see him (ex: his skin can go from tan to white when he is in arctic or anarctic regions, and it becomes darker when in the intense sun to help prevent sunburn and skin cancer). Finally, if he falls from extreme heights, his body softens to absorb the blow, but he can be killed from falling if the height is..5 stories or so high.

Writing Sample: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7261318&postcount=12

I hope the link works... :)

And the reservation thing was really just a formality. I wanted to be sure I wasn't just popping in without reserving if its needed.

Last edited:

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Okay, so here is my revision off your SU.

Firstly, like I VM'ed you, your power touches on at least three other's abilities, refining it to one aspect or chosing an ability that is not so broad is a good idea.

If your character is 6 foot tall, 59kg would be close to deathly skinny, I know he is meant to be lean, but that's almost skeletal! Maybe adding around 10kgs to your characters weight would make it more reasonable.

If you could, a little bit more explaination in clothing would be nice, I know it can be difficult to do sometimes, but possibly describing a range of clothes he would wear on differing occasions?

I would like a little bit more in personality, probably another paragraph similar to the one you wrote, Garrett sounds like an interesting character, but I think his personality needs a little more fleshing out. Expand on how he acts around family, around friends and in class could help, along side giving him more of a personality.

I picked up spelling errors every now and again, don't fret about these, we all make them from time to time, but writing in a word document will allow easier access to finding spelling and grammatical errors, and re-reading over what you have written helps too.

Overall, I really like Garrett, he seems like an interesting fellow and I'm sure you and him would get on well in the RP. If you could act on what I have written, then I would be happy to accept your SU.

Skymin, any comments?

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
I'm interested! I was actually looking at the RP and wishing I had the chance to join it. Yay~

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016

That's great to know we have some followers!
Can't wait to see your SU.

I do have a couple questions though just so I'm not utterly confused.

• Does our location matter? Should I try to put myself near other people or no?
  • We're just RPing our experiences the week after the Atlanteans revealed themselves?

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
I do have a couple questions though just so I'm not utterly confused.

• Does our location matter? Should I try to put myself near other people or no?
  • We're just RPing our experiences the week after the Atlanteans revealed themselves?

Location doesn't matter, no matter where in the world you are, someone will find you! If you want to be near people or far away, it doesn't matter. It would be easier though if you were in Europe, but that is not a big issue.

Yes, so far it has been nine days since the Atlanteans revealed themselves; we are on the tenth.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Okay, so here is my revision off your SU.

Firstly, like I VM'ed you, your power touches on at least three other's abilities, refining it to one aspect or chosing an ability that is not so broad is a good idea.

If your character is 6 foot tall, 59kg would be close to deathly skinny, I know he is meant to be lean, but that's almost skeletal! Maybe adding around 10kgs to your characters weight would make it more reasonable.

If you could, a little bit more explaination in clothing would be nice, I know it can be difficult to do sometimes, but possibly describing a range of clothes he would wear on differing occasions?

I would like a little bit more in personality, probably another paragraph similar to the one you wrote, Garrett sounds like an interesting character, but I think his personality needs a little more fleshing out. Expand on how he acts around family, around friends and in class could help, along side giving him more of a personality.

I picked up spelling errors every now and again, don't fret about these, we all make them from time to time, but writing in a word document will allow easier access to finding spelling and grammatical errors, and re-reading over what you have written helps too.

Overall, I really like Garrett, he seems like an interesting fellow and I'm sure you and him would get on well in the RP. If you could act on what I have written, then I would be happy to accept your SU.

Skymin, any comments?

Eheh, okay! Its 2:30 AM where I'm at...the kg was a miscalculation on my part. Sorry!

And about his superpower, is Ecological Empathy still too broad? I can take out the "future sight calculation" thing, but that still leaves his whole "understanding the thoughts around him" power.

About spelling errors, I'm on a galaxy tab as I write this, and the writing is basically qwerty touchscreen, no spellcheck or anything. My computer is broken, but I hope to have it fixed soon.

Clothing/personality: Okie dokie, thats a pretty easy fix.

I'll get on it.

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Eheh, okay! Its 2:30 AM where I'm at...the kg was a miscalculation on my part. Sorry!

And about his superpower, is Ecological Empathy still too broad? I can take out the "future sight calculation" thing, but that still leaves his whole "understanding the thoughts around him" power.

About spelling errors, I'm on a galaxy tab as I write this, and the writing is basically qwerty touchscreen, no spellcheck or anything. My computer is broken, but I hope to have it fixed soon.

Clothing/personality: Okie dokie, thats a pretty easy fix.

I'll get on it.

What do YOU mean by Ecological Empathy? Because your definition could be different to mine.

Future sight is The Oracle's ability, an NPC with the Atlantean Royal Family, "understanding thoughts around him" touches on TheFinalWatchman's Brian Sheppards ability of Emotional Empathy.

Years
  • Age 30
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
I don't really like the idea of reading people's minds is because it kinda has room for godmodding and stuff. Even if its just light touching on mind reading.

What do you mean by Ecological Empathy?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
What I meant by ecological empathy was his understanding of the world around him to a greater extent than humans, kind of like a Sherlock Holmes x10.

Buuuut, I do think that could be a little OP, considering he would expect everything. I'm thinking about just giving him phazing or something....psychic powers can lead to Godmodding like Skymin said.

Shame, I really like psychic stuff :/

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
What I meant by ecological empathy was his understanding of the world around him to a greater extent than humans, kind of like a Sherlock Holmes x10.

Buuuut, I do think that could be a little OP, considering he would expect everything. I'm thinking about just giving him phazing or something....psychic powers can lead to Godmodding like Skymin said.

Shame, I really like psychic stuff :/

Unfortunately there is already a character with the phazing ability. In a Roleplay, Psychic abilities tend to be hard, so I try and shy away from them.

I see Ecological Empathy in a different light; as one being able to control weather. Again, this could be considered overpowered.

I find jumping through this site of random pages, a good way to get ideas of abilities.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Hmmm....there are a lot of cool powers on here...

Heres a few that I like. Are any of these taken? I missed phazing and empathy, I can miss others.

DNA replication
Adaptability (I didnt see it on the site, but its in that new X-Men: First Class movie.)
Shapeshifting/biomorphing
Teleportation (like night crawler)
Amorphous physiology

Swolligator

Butcher of the Sands
Years
Here's my view:

-DNA replication: Since there are only Atlanteans and Humans, makes it hard to replicate DNA. If you were to replicate the DNA of animals, it would have to be a specific animal class, like Frogs for PkMn Trainer Yellow's Character or perhaps another animal like birds, snakes, etc.

-Adaptability: To what exactly?

- Shapeshifting/Biomerging: Same as DNA replication above, unless it was to Shapeshift into other people. Biomerging; merging with animals would again be considered a for of shapeshifting, and again it would have to be a single animal species. Humans would be OP, unless it was Shapeshifting to resemble them. Even then, if he shapeshifted into another Atlantean he may not be able to use that Atlanteans ability. Biomerging into objects such as Inanimate Possession; being able to take over and control inanimate objects like statues through Possession would be fine.

- Teleportation: Already taken by Jeremy Kyle, and NPC.

-Amorphous Physiology: Could be considered OP, maybe dulling it down to liquification?

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Okay! Thanks for the info. I'll ponder some more tomorrow, its now 4 am :/

And adaptability would be hos body changing to survive extreme situations, like if he were underwater he would grow gills so he wouldn't drown, and if he were attacked with blunt objects his skin would harden where the blows hit so they wouldn't hurt as much. Kinda just stuff like that. It wouldn't stop bullets or anything, but it would make him tougher. If this is okay I think I'll go with this ability.

Years
  • Seen Jul 18, 2016
Name:
Delta "Del" Mayor

Height:
5"6'

Weight:
120 lbs/54.4 kgs

Appearance:

Atlantean Tattoo: It starts right under her pointer finger and makes several twirls down her finger. The tattoo makes a straight line from her knuckle down her forearm stopping at the place where her arm bends.

Physical: Delta's hair is the main topic of conversation when she interacts with new people. On the right side her hair it is shaven down to little to no hair but the hairs that do show are dyed a dark purple almost black. The rest is styled in a comb over fashion so that it all lies on the left side of her head. This mask most of the left side of her face until Del gets fed up with it and moves it out the way. Her regular, black hair is braided into many individual braids, which end in a bead. The colors of the bead depend on the section of the hair, the front is red, the middle is orange, and the back is yellow. If she's really feeling up to it she may change the beads but it's a real time consuming commitment. A single, golden hoop pierces her right eyebrow giving her an edgier look. Two other piercing makes themselves home in her lip and nose. Her lip piercing is located on the right corner of her mouth it is a silver hoop but at the center is a small ball. Rarely seen but still there is a small, butterfly shaped nose ring on the left side of her noise. It is rarely seen because it makes Del's nose itch like crazy so she leaves it out most of the time. Delta's eyes are a shunning shade of blue that could rival the beauty of the ocean. Typically people dislike looking her right in the eyes for this fact alone as if she could possibly peer into their soul. Del's complexion is a bit light than a regular, chocolate bar.

Clothing: Delta wears a black tank top that is hidden underneath a black, worn, leather jacket. Several of the pockets are missing zippers so they're open just a bit revealing the contents within. A pair of black gloves the one's that have the grips on them. A plain, black lanyard hangs from her neck with a set of keys attached to the end. One key is silver with spots of pink where it had once been painted and the other was just gold with Delta's name engraved into it. Fitting nicely are her newly "purchased" skinny jeans, which of course are black. To finish off this daring outfit is a pair of five-inch black heels. With these heels she is easily one of the tallest girls in the room. She keeps two knifes strapped to her hip, both on her left side.​

Personal:

Personality: There's no doubt in the world that Delta's very confident in herself because she knows that's the only person she can rely on is herself. Her development in her abilities, the fights she's been in, and thriving on her own has lead her to be this confident. This level of confidence has lead her to be slightly cocky, fearless even. Del can be a little too much to handle at times because she's a bit reckless. Somehow she has gotten in her head that she can never lose and she's nearly invincible. This leads to her being fearless as she is willing to take on any obstacle and any fight to prove to herself and to others that she's capable.

Even though she's a little full of herself she knows that she cannot handle everything on her own. She'd rather work with a teammate then by herself but most of the time it doesn't work out that way. Delta doesn't really have good social skills and because of this people thinks she rude. She tends to cut people off mid-sentence to say what she needs to say. Also, she has a tendency to yell at people a lot. It's not always out of anger but when it is she tends to go overboard. When angry Del doesn't think like a rational person, a more primal instinct seems to take over. Her personality shifts drastically and everyone who isn't Delta is automatically a foe. She seems to become an uncontrollable, raging beast who cannot stop itself and its rampage until everything is killed/destroyed.

History: When Delta was a small girl her family moved to Poland from the United States to avoid something. She was never given an exact reason why they had to flee from their cozy home in the middle of the night. Her parents tended to be very secretive as if they were protecting their daughters from what they knew. Their arrival in Europe was a big hassle but one that Delta had long since forgotten except the memory of her sleeping on airport seats. Her sister, Diane, was much younger than her as she had been a newborn at the time while Delta was seven. Growing up in Poland was a strange experience, as she never really left her three-bedroom apartment. She almost never got the chance to get a formal education but if you could count her father's lessons in math. This made her envious of the kid's she would see outside her window heading to school. Sometimes she would carry a bag around to pretend she was off to school. Her parents always told her to knock it off but that never stopped her. Delta never knew her parent's occupation only that they disappeared at various hours of the day for days at a time. This left her to take care of her infant sister and grow up faster than a child should.

On occasions she would be granted permission to visit her maternal grandparents who had lived in Poland their entire lives. Delta didn't speak a lick of Polish and they knew English but they didn't bother to speak it. This didn't stop a strong bond from forming, as Delta would beg her grandparents to let her live with them. Eventually her wishes came true when her parents told her they had to return to The States and had to leave her here. They took her sister with them and they never explained why they couldn't take her. To lighten her sadness her grandparents surprised her with a real backpack with actual school supplies. Tears streamed down her face as her grandparents told her she would be going to an actual school. Though, it was a smaller school than most and it was for non-native Polish children.

Fights. Delta wasn't use to sharing with other kids and it had never been one of her strong points. Her first physical fight came two days after she was officially attending classes. When a boy grabbed her extra piece of paper to use for a drawing. After politely asking for it back and being rejected Delta took matters into her own hands. At this age she was bigger than most of the other kids and easily overpowered them. She shoved him out of his chair, kicked his chair, and then kicked him multiple times in the side. After the teacher intervened by restraining Delta to a chair while his assistant checked on the young boy. Upon closer inspection by a doctor it was determined that the kid had several bruised ribs and was in a lot of pain. No one wanted Delta to return to class for a while, not even her grandparents. She spent her break time in her grandparent's apartment moping around and sitting on the windowsill staring out at the world. Which is where she sat as she learned about her parent's death or murder depending on what you wanted to call it. Delta preferred murder because she just liked the word better than death. Her sister's body wasn't found with her parents meaning that either a) she is still alive or b) they killed her offsite. As with all news it eventually spread like wildfire throughout the neighborhood where she lived. Her parent's death was big news, as their murders to this day have never been solved.

Delta returned to her class a month later to learn that the boy she had injured had dropped from that class the day before. She sat in class fuming with anger, which lead to a fight, how typical. This time it was some girl who kept badgering her about the death of her parents. After being ignored by Delta she delivered, "You know, no one really cares about your parent's death, it's just that they're bored. And they mustn't have cared about you as you're still here. What. A. Loser" with extreme malice. Needless to say, Delta unleashed her rage with her fist and they did the action this time. The two girls were quickly separated and Delta was never invited back to another class, which was perfectly fine with her. Not so much with her grandparents, at the age of eight she had gotten into two fights within the span of two months. Fed up with her behavior they sent her to a boot camp/reform school where she spent the next ten years. When it was summer or break she would stay at her grandparent's apartment. Delta had learned to control her temper for the time being but that didn't stop her fighting. Her name was feared whenever it was mentioned, no one dare cross her path unscathed. She graduated from boot camp at the age of eighteen but even then her grandparents weren't ready to have her living in the house. They got her her own apartment that was a block away.

The mark came while she was taking a bubble bath in the middle of the night. Delta could never fall asleep so she tended to take bathes to help relax her. The burning sensation came and went; she didn't know anything had actually changed about her into she rose from the tub. Her arms had become like a diamond and she could see through it which freaked her out. Luckily she lived by herself and didn't have to worry about someone else seeing her like this. For the next couple of days her arms remained like that until she forcibly willed it away. All of this came to a shock to her as she turned on the news and learned about the Atlantean race. After this Delta began working on perfecting her transformation in case she ever needed to use them.

Ability:
Crystallization

Del has an ability that is quite strange to her she can crystallize her skin into an extremely durable, diamond-like material. Through experimentation she has learn that she is not affected by fire on the places she has turned. She has not learned how to crystalize her whole body yet just bits and pieces. Making more than two of her body parts (two arms, two legs, arm and a leg) causes her to become faint and ultimately lose the crystallization. Despite her many attempts she has not been able to crystallization anything on her face, not even an ear. She not sure if this has to do with a fear she has of accidentally suffocating herself.

When in this "form" her mobility isn't affected it isn't like her skin has diamond on top of it. The diamond material is her skin and it keeps its same weight so it doesn't burden Del too much. It does hurt if she constantly shifts from her normal skin to the crystalize skin. If it is destroyed in this form it is also destroyed in her normal form. This ability makes her more of a defensive type person because of its durability. The true strength of it is unknown but it can definitely leave a broken hand if it's punched. Though, Delta's not much of a defensive fight so she'll swing her arms at people to hit them with the hard material. Her ability has the potential to be able to not just crystalize her skin but anything she touches. This is not a for sure thing as Del is just in the beginning of even mastering her crystallization.

Writing Sample: Click.

Last edited:

Arctos

Fire and Blood
Years
I must say I have been interested in this RP from the off and have finally freed up enough time in my (frankly not so) hectic lifestyle to be able to commit. I am working on an SU at the moment but am having some issues with abilities.

As a real life Zoologist I believe sticking to what I know would allow me the most believability in my character/power choice. I basically need feedback on my ideas for abilities to ensure they are not overpowered.

My first instinct was to go with a form of metamorphosis. This is however massively overpowered so I've reassessed the idea and wondered if the following is still overpowered.

As an Atlantean my character has the ability to tap into the genetic memories of his genome. Possessing a highly unstable genetic code he can rewrite it moving down the evolutionary tree to achieve his desired trait. The further away from atlanteans the more difficult it is to achieve and the more unstable. This is especially true for traits that occur in species which have diverged from his evolutionary line (if that makes sense). So he could grow scales (although this is far back it is along the timeline of evolution for humans and so I assume along the timeline of Atlanteans). He would struggle to maintain bird like wings however and feathers. Birds diverging from reptiles before reptiles developed into mammals. The scales would drain him but feathers would do so much faster.

His powers would cause pain in everyday life as well as his body struggles to maintain its form. Shifting under high emotion perhaps not in a defined way as some powers would but rather in a more random way (Almost like a tumour but with aspects of differing species appearing).

Yet another handicap may be that changing his body in a way to mimic an animal not along his evolutionary line could cause some sort of physical deformity if done recklessly or in an uncontrolled way. Again the example of feathers would leave his skin where they appeared pockmarked or similar.

This limits him in some very large ways. Making a potentially over powered power in my view now possibly weaker than most. It means every time he uses his power he must think. He may use it in absolute emergencies but there are consequences which could be potentially life threatening. What do people think of this? Is it still overpowered or is it now workable within the RP?

EDIT: I had not read the posts above and I fear the power is much too similar to adaptability. I will have to have a rethink unless one of the GMs decides that although similar they are different enough.

Last edited:

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
Years
Main Information:
Name: Garrett Daniel Flynn
Height: 183 centimeters/ 6 feet
Weight: 69 Kg / around 150
Location: Massachussets Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachussets, America

Appearance:
Atlantean Tattoo: Located on Garrett's neck, underneath his left ear. The top is visible unless he is wearing a collared shirt, which is unlikely. The tattoo runs down until it reaches his clavicle. It consists of two curving lines that intersect about halfway down. A seperated diagonal line does through the intersection at a 45 degree angle.
Physical: Garret is very lean. He isn't exactly the muscular type, and often gets picked on for his skinniness. He has really dark skin and tans easily. He has a sharp face that has a certain alertness to it, giving others the impression that he is always paying really close attention. His hair is long, brown, and shaggy. He often lazily pulls it back into a ponytail, but he sometimes wears it behind his ears. His eyes are deep blue, with great depth in them. He has perfect teeth, and keeps them white and healthy. His neck is rather skiiny, even compared to the rest of his body. His shoulders aren't really wide, giving him a gangly look with his long skinny arms. He has really long fingers as well. His fingernails are chewed up and pretty shabby, he bites them when he's nervous. His legs are long, but proportional to his height. They look longer than they are, considering their thin width. His feet are big, a size 11 (42 Euro)
Clothing: Garrett wears T-shirts with iconic logos on them and jeans, most of the time. His shoes range from New Balance sneakers to cheap flip flops, though he is most seen wearing black sneakers. He wears jackets or hoodies in cold weather. His jackets are usually bright colors with black desgins on them, for example, a lime green hoodie with thick black lines diagonally tracing the left side. He wears corrective lens glasses, finding contacts too time consuming. For formal occations, he usually wears a regular, black tuxedo, and usually rented. He doesn't like shorts, because they don't cover his legs and he doesn't like people to see his skinny legs. His favorite Tee is a red shirt with spiderman's insignia on it. He has other superhero shirts, but spiderman is his favorite. His other shirts have thing like Coca cola on them, or say clever comments like "I'm only here for the wifi". His jeans are all black and skinny, though on him they aren't too form fitting.

Personality: Garrett is a quirky guy thats often said to be too smart for his own good. He sometimes misunderstands what people mean when they speak with him, or misses that it has meaning at all. He is a nice guy however, and doesn't try to get in people's ways. He does have friends, but not many, as his way of thinking is off from other people. He can seem dysfunctional and sporatic at times, often jumping from place to place doing everything that needs to be done at the same time. This often leads to him totally ignoring anyone in the room, and if he gets into something (like when he reads) a plane could literally land behind him and he wouldn't notice. When he does notice someone's feelings, however, he is sincere and trys to be helpful, but he usually isn't suited for helping people in that area. Around people he knows, such as family and classmates, he acts friendly and polite, trying to sound like he is paying attention to them, and not working on some abstract theory in his mind. Its not that he doesn't care, he just doesn't know what to say really. He does like humour and will often try to make jokes himself, usually failing due to over complication.

On the whole, he is a very respectful, polite, and honest young man. However, he does have the tendancy to automatically respond when he's zoned out. "Yes" "No" "Uh huh". If he says any of these things often, he isn't actually paying attention. He doesn't really connect with people often. He usually doesn't make it past the "whats up?" stage in a conversation. Fot the first time ina while, he has taken interest in something outside his studies. The recent news of the atlanteans has his facinated rather than afraid like his classmates. He wants to learn more about them, and how they have their abilities.

History: Garrett was born in Florida, USA. His parents were both average people, his dad a dentist and his mother a receptionist at his father's office. He has no siblings, and often came to work with his parents, staying in the waiting room reading all of the magazines. He had read them all by the tme he was 6, and moved on to checking out books from the library. Whatever Garrett read, he understood. When he went to school, he already knew a considerable amount than the other kids, and was placed in advanced classes. Even then, he was always ahead of the game. His parents were obviously proud of him, but concerned that he didn't have any friends. Well, he finally made one in the 3rd grade. Ricky, another bright kid, was always with Garrett. The two were almost insperable for a year. Garrett and Ricky could keep up with each other, a feat not accomplished by most people. One day Garrett and Ricky were walking home together from school, when Ricky collapsed. Garrett rushed to a nearby house, who's inhabitants called 911 when they heard what happened. Ricky was taken to a hospital, where it was revealed dehydration had caused him to fall. But while in the hospital, Ricky somehow caught pnemonia. It did a great job on his lungs, and he died a few weeks later.

Garrett, suprisingly, wasn't exactly torn by his friend's death. Sure, he was upset, but he continued life normally after a week or so. His parents were concerned about him, but he insisted that he was fine. He went back to school the day after Ricky died, and still made great grades. This continued until the fifth grade, where he was placed in a high school. He was often bullied and intimidated by the older kids, getting picked on because he was so young. Even then, he was usually one of the top scorers on tests. He felt like the others kids weren't like him, and often thought about himself as a superhero. He would stay up at night, thinking about a movie they would make about him. In school, he aced every standardized test the state had, and didn't miss a question on the SAT. By the time he was a senior, he had made perfect scores in all of his classes. His parents, teachers, and classmates were dumbfounded. He went off to college, where he finally thought people would be as smart as him. But he was still the sharpest guy there. Although, not as far ahead as he was in high school. He only just managed to stay on top, studying hard for the first time. He misses his parents, but he goes and sees them on holidays and long weekends, so its not a big deal.

He was in a lecture when the crystal was revealed. There wasn't a direct effect on him. He didn't even know the Atlanteans existed until the next morning. At first he was puzzled, then fascinated. He started gathering all the data he could on them, though aside from the fact they existed and were superhuman, nothing solid turned up. He started contemplating about their powers, hoping to understand and even mimic them, but he couldn't figure it out. Ten days later, he went swimming. While underwater, he started to feel tingly, and as if he had a rash on his neck and hands. When he came out of the water, people who saw him either screamed and fled, or froze. He didn't know why, so he dismissed the incedent entirely, as he usaully does. He did however, notice his hands as he lifted them out of the water. They had begun to form webbing between his fingers. At first, he thought his eyes were tricking him, but the webbing dissapeared before his eyes. Curious, he put them back underwater. The webbing slowly grew back. He dove underwater, and felt the rash on his neck again. It startled him, and he took a breath in. He could breathe. He opened his eyes underwater to see his hands again, and his eyes were covered by a clear eyelid, allowing him to see underwater without hurting his eyes. He became exicted that he was Atlanean (his only "logical" conclusion) and genuinely felt happy to be a part of something, which he had never experienced before

Ability: Garrett's body adapts to his enviroment if he is currently unfit for it. Garrett experimented on himself, and found that he could adapt to accomodate for most situations. His night vision improved (although not as good as his day vision) when he went into dark places, his pupils growing to inhuman sizes. He walked on gravel, and the bottom of his feet hardened and made the pain lessen. He turned his dorm temperature down to 36 degrees (F), and his skin thickened and kept him warmer. It seemed most situations caused his body to adapt to survive.

When being hit by blunt objetcs, his skin hardens to keep himself from hetting hurt too much. His skin becomes fore retardent in extreme heat conditions, and he can adapt to survive without oxygen or water for extended periods of time. His skin can also turn spongy, which softens attack rather than deflect them. It won't make him physically stronger or faster, but it can make him more limber and flexible. His bones can become stronger, his height can change, and he can even regurgitate poison he swallows. He can't control his ability, rather it happens whenever the situation calls. He can't use it for camoflague persay, but it can alter his skind color to help predetors not see him (ex: his skin can go from tan to white when he is in arctic or anarctic regions, and it becomes darker when in the intense sun to help prevent sunburn and skin cancer). Finally, if he falls from extreme heights, his body softens to absorb the blow, but he can be killed from falling if the height is..5 stories or so high.

Writing Sample: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=7261318&postcount=12

I hope the link works... :)

And the reservation thing was really just a formality. I wanted to be sure I wasn't just popping in without reserving if its needed.

Okay, I think I've finished. If the ability is too op, I can tone it down to the basics.

Last edited:

Arctos

Fire and Blood
Years
Revised SU with a new power. Possibly still OP and if so then I will again change it again.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Back