• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My first team after a long, long while

Years
Hey, so I've been absent from any pokemon game for at least ten years and I'm currently having a lot of fun going back and experiment anything new

I really want to try out online battles ("OU" format) but I'm missing a ton of experience. I'm not trying to make any game breaking ladder MvP team in any way, I just packed a bunch of 'mons I like and that offset the weaknesses of one another to, hopefully, do decently well and have some fun battling on the ladder

So here's the thing:

Alolan-Golem.png

Lead
Golem-Alola @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Return
- Stone Edge
- Explosion

250px-169Crobat.png

Aggressive Pivot
Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Infiltrator
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

latest

Bulky thing to switch against Psy or Fairy types
Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 172 Def / 40 SpD
Brave Nature
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Curse
- Protect

250px-Oluolu_Snorlax.png

Curse Sweeper
Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 68 HP / 196 Atk / 244 Def
Brave Nature
- Return
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Recycle

slowbro.png

Defensive Wall
Slowbro @ Slowbronite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Slack Off
- Psyshock

gengar.png

Thorn in your side
Gengar @ ?
Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Hex
- Sludge Wave

So here it is, my first attempt of a team
Sorry if I don't know all the terms to describe which exact role have each of those 'Mons but I think the EVs and moves speak by themselves

Do I have any chance to win a match online with that or will I just get stomped by everyone?
Would you switch any role or set to the current 'Mons I use?

Edit: Correct things up, that was an older team sheet

Last edited:
Years
ok, i wish to give you my honest opinion from a Competitive players perspective any negative feed back i mean absolutely no ill will. Ok the grand majority of the mons and sets that are run on this team are not really viable i understand that you are new to OU However if you absolutely wish to use these i recommend having another ground immunity or resist because Landorus-T is everwhere. i also recommend having a Hawluch check as well so that you are not 6-0ed by it. Defog support would help this team if adjustments are made. also a way to beat ash-greninja is also needed and i would run Assualt vest on muk and pursuit to trap latis and blace locked into shadow ball. in OU this team would have a hard team to be completely Honest and again do not take anything i am saying the wrong way but if you refuse to change the mons of your team, i would replace Figy berry on muk for assualt vest and relace curse with pursuit and protect to shadow sneak, and set the evs to 248hp 252 spdef. i would also give a scarf to gengar because you need speed control replacing W.O.W,taunt,and hex with shadow ball, focus blast and any coverage move of your chosing

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
While Alolan Golem is a cool Pokemon and all, Therian Landorus or Ferrothorn are generally better Stealth Rock setters because of utility in Intimidate and a much better defensive typing respectively:

Therian Landorus:
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Hidden Power (Ice)
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP/240 Def/16 Spe
Item: Leftovers

Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock/Spikes
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Knock Off/Protect
Nature: Sassy/Careful/Relaxed/Impish
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef
Ability: Iron Barbs

Kartana is a better Z move user that can also Defog than Crobat because of its stronger offensive presence. Therian Tornadus is an option if you want something more niche:

Kartana:
-Swords Dance
-Leaf Blade
-Smart Strike/Defog
-Sacred Sword
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Grassium Z/Fightinium Z

Therian Tornadus:
-Hurricane
-Knock Off
-U-turn/Heat Wave/Superpower
-Defog
Nature: Timid/Naive
EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe or 40 Atk/216 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Flyinium Z

Muk is better with Poison Touch in singles formats in order to spread poison around:
-Poison Jab
-Knock Off
-Pursuit
-Fire Punch/Rock Slide
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 248 HP/136 Atk/28 Def/92 SDef/4 Spe
Item: Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch

(Mega) Slowbro is pretty much outclassed by Toxapex because of its better overall bulk and access to Haze to make it less passive:
-Scald
-Haze
-Toxic/Toxic Spikes/Knock Off
-Recover
Nature: Calm/Bold
EVs: 248 HP/8 Def/252 SDef or 248 HP/196 Def/64 SDef
Item: Black Sludge

If you still want a bulky setup attacker, use Mega Latias instead:
-Calm Mind
-Stored Power
-Thunderbolt/Surf
-Recover
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
Item: Latiasite

Snorlax has suffered from power creep over the past several generations, making it a not very appealing pick in OU.

Remember that not all of your favorite Pokemon do well in an OU setting because they face stiff competition from much better alternatives. It may be better to play in a tier where your favorite Pokemon are at rather than have those Pokemon struggle in a tier where you may not know what you're doing. It may be a better idea to check out the OU viability rankings to see what works and what doesn't.

Years
ok, i wish to give you my honest opinion from a Competitive players perspective any negative feed back i mean absolutely no ill will. Ok the grand majority of the mons and sets that are run on this team are not really viable i understand that you are new to OU However if you absolutely wish to use these i recommend having another ground immunity or resist because Landorus-T is everwhere. i also recommend having a Hawluch check as well so that you are not 6-0ed by it. Defog support would help this team if adjustments are made. also a way to beat ash-greninja is also needed and i would run Assualt vest on muk and pursuit to trap latis and blace locked into shadow ball. in OU this team would have a hard team to be completely Honest and again do not take anything i am saying the wrong way but if you refuse to change the mons of your team, i would replace Figy berry on muk for assualt vest and relace curse with pursuit and protect to shadow sneak, and set the evs to 248hp 252 spdef. i would also give a scarf to gengar because you need speed control replacing W.O.W,taunt,and hex with shadow ball, focus blast and any coverage move of your chosing

Hey thanks, this is that type of advice I was seeking. Don't worry, I knew it wasn't a great team, this is why I asked for a review here
So I'll follow your advice regarding Gengar and Muk, also I've put Defog on my Crobat
In order to check the WWE bird, can't Mega Slowbro do the trick? the Psy type is good and it has incredible defence stats. I can go for Mega Pidgeot too, but it means no mega slowbro anymore, but another ground immunity
I can switch Snorlax and Golem if needed be, but I'd like have a Rock type in my team (I always had a rugged and rocky thing in my team since I was a child, it would be a flavour fail if I stop)
In order to counter the Greninja I can swap one of the two above for a Toxapex with Scald, Recover, Toxic and Haze

I'm thinking going toward a most defensive route, I think it gives me more choice as I'm not really willing to use legendary 'Mons

So the updated team would be as follows:

WWE bird checker
Pidgeot @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Roost

Pivot Defogger
Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Pursuiting Muk
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
EVs: 204 Atk / 180 SpD / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

More Aggressive one
Gengar @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Greninja checker wall
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Last 'Mon: don't know yet, any advice? I'd keep the Golem if I could tho

I'm also noticing everything is a least UU except Golem, I guess this is an improvement as well

Edit: reading your reply atm PlatinumDude
Edit 2: Thanks for the reply, I might switch Golem with the barbed vegetable indeed
Slowbro has been switched for the anemone
and.. regarding the razor paper cut thing, I'd rather keep Crobat as the Golem replacement is already x4 weak to fire, I wouldn't want to stack up a huge weakness whole in my team (plus I find its design kinda lame, but that's secondary)

Last edited:
Years
Hey thanks, this is that type of advice I was seeking. Don't worry, I knew it wasn't a great team, this is why I asked for a review here
So I'll follow your advice regarding Gengar and Muk, also I've put Defog on my Crobat
In order to check the WWE bird, can't Mega Slowbro do the trick? It's Psy type and it has incredible defence stats. I can go for Mega Pidgeot too, but it means no mega slowbro anymore, but another ground immunity
I can switch Snorlax and Golem if needed be, but I'd like have a Rock type in my team
In order to counter the Greninja I can swap one of the two above for a Toxapex with Scald, Recover, Toxic and Haze

I'm thinking going toward a most defensive route, I think it gives me more choice as I'm not really willing to use legendary 'Mons

in response to mega slowbro being a check i just checked calcs and yes it can be a check also pigeot cannot beat Hawlucha as upon using the e-seed its speed becomes X>600 in regards to pivoting back in forth between lax and golem will likely not work as well as the set looks like a suicide lead in my eyes.
and yes Pex is among the better defensive checks to Gren. as for the new team pidgeot is not a check to Hawk as hawk will outspeed after electric seed boost. Also your team still lacks amon with a choice scarf having a choice scarf allows you to revenge kill mons that would otherwise sweep you after a speed boost. for your last mon you will absolutely need a an electric immunity or good resist tapu koko will shred the team and muk does not have the recovery to take repeated T-bolts if you want to go a more defensive route..... Tangrowth would be great as it has great defensive synergy with Pex and stops zygarde

Spoiler: Set

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest Ability: Regenerator
Sassy Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off

also stealth rock is mandatory for any competitive team

Last edited:
Years
Also Platinum Dude brings up some valid points as well. eventually i recommend getting into building teams that have sets similar to that at some point. and that is only a portion what you will likely be facing in competitive OU

Last edited:
Years
So ! After much thinking about both of your replies, this is the V3 of the team:

Still the same core:

Pivot Defogger
Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Pursuiting Muk
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

More Aggressive one
Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Greninja checker wall
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Plus:
Stealth rocker and electric tapu checker?
Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef

Choice Scarf user + ground resist + Pseudo checker to the WWE bird ??
Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I don't find a room for the big Tangela, not sure if I want to use it too since I've got the barbed vegetable already
Keep in mind I don't plan to go to any tournament of any kind with my team, it's just to do decent on the ladder

Thanks for the build help tho, I can feel the team's getting better the further it gets modifications
So, how is V3?

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
So ! After much thinking about both of your replies, this is the V3 of the team:

Still the same core:

Pivot Defogger
Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Pursuiting Muk
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

More Aggressive one
Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Greninja checker wall
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Plus:
Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef or 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

I don't find a room for the big Tangela, not sure if I want to use it too since I've got the barbed vegetable already
Keep in mind I don't plan to go to any tournament of any kind with my team, it's just to do decent on the ladder

Thanks for the build help tho, I can feel the team's getting better the further it gets modifications
So, how is V3?
I'd rather use Therian Tornadus over Crobat as the former hits harder. It also brings better utility with Knock Off, something Crobat lacks.

Years

Still the same core:

Pivot Defogger
Crobat @ Flyinium Z
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Defog
- Roost
- U-turn

Pursuiting Muk
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Shadow Sneak

More Aggressive one
Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Wave
- Taunt
- Focus Blast

Greninja checker wall
Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Plus:
Ferrothorn:
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball/Protect
EVs: 252 HP/48 Def/208 SDef

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-turn

So, how is V3?

the team is definitely an improvement however the only flying type mon that can reliably check the hawk is Zapdos. Also i just wish to make a statement i suppose. the ladder itself consists of everything be it competitive or not. i will guarantee that you will find competitive players on the ladder almost akin to what you would see in tours (rare on low ladder) and in order to do decent on ladder (1500+ elo) your team has to be able to cover the top 6 common threats (with no attempts at rudeness when saying all of this) and while i acknowledge that you do not have any plans to enter tours the ladder gets really competitive after a certain elo and we wish to assist you in that you are successful in both learning and achieving.

teamwise other than starapter, ferrothorn should run a relaxed nature with 252hp i believe 88def and the rest in spdef.

Back