• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Error] Text Entry error

Years
While trying to playtest to make sure no errors pop up, I keep getting this error when the pbTrainerName script (and possibly all text entry) is called.

[Pokémon Essentials version 17.2]
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Script error within event 3 (coords 1,0), map 1 ():
Exception: NoMethodError
Message: TextEntry:930:in `pbStartScene' undefined method `width' for nil:NilClass

***Full script:
pbTrainerName

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'
TextEntry:1546:in `pbStartScreen'
TextEntry:1614:in `pbEnterText'
TextEntry:1611:in `pbFadeOutIn'
TextEntry:1611:in `pbEnterText'
TextEntry:1627:in `pbEnterPlayerName'
PSystem_Utilities:721:in `pbTrainerName'
(eval):1 :in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1606:in `eval'
Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:276:in `pbExecuteScript'
Interpreter:1606:in `command_355'
Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'
Interpreter:193:in `update'
Interpreter:106:in `loop'
Interpreter:198:in `update'
Scene_Map:163:in `update'
Scene_Map:161:in `loop'
Scene_Map:170:in `update'
Scene_Map:234:in `main'

I haven't touched any of the relevant scripts (as far as I know), deleting any save files doesn't work, and the problem is not present in base Essentials. I can't even tell where the problem actually is in the scripts. Can anyone help at least point out where it is?

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Pretty sure your Script box is looking something like this atm:
Code:
@>Script: pbTrainerBattle
:       : (:TRAINER, "Trainer", other parameters)
You need to use extendtext.exe to increase the size of the Script box, then go back and edit that line so it looks like this:
Code:
@>Script: pbTrainerBattle(:TRAINER, "Trainer", other parameters)
Do that for any other Script boxes where you have parentheses starting on the next line.

Years
... What? What are you talking about? My problem is with text entry, the pbTrainerName script. pbTrainerBattle isn't being called, at all, anywhere in this. pbTrainerName just brings up that error whenever it's called, nothing after or below it in parentheses.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
Oh so it's from the script itself, it wasn't very clear to me from the original post that your event command was correct. Well, I googled your error and found this thread: https://reliccastle.com/threads/1411/ (look at the very last post), according to this your trainer graphics might not be named correctly? Other than that I'm not really sure.

Years
... Nope. Went through everything in that link, everything's normal. Trainer graphics are named correctly. Metadata.txt is set up the exact same as base Essentials. Didn't touch MiscData or Compiler. I decided to give up and restart the scripts.

Back