Life ūüĆ≥ Paradise: The Nature Club Page 3

Started by Hyzenthlay October 10th, 2020 9:12 AM
  • 57 replies
  • Poll

How would you like the Nature Club to operate?

• 57.14%
  • 28.57%
  • 14.29%

icycatelf

Fake Card Artist

Age 30
Male
Kentucky
Online now
Posted 26 Minutes Ago
2,721 posts
15.9 Years
Now that 2020 has come to an end, I'd like us to share some positive experiences from the year. What were your highlights? Especially experiences with nature, animals included, of course!

Perhaps you took up gardening and it was a success, or encountered something special on a memorable walk? Maybe you've seen dazzling sunrises and sunsets? Have you swam, hiked, explored, if that was open to you? Seen some amazing animals and insects? It doesn't matter how small! <3
Finding the Eyed Paectes, Ironwing Clearwing, and the Spun Glass and Stinging Rose Caterpillars‚ÄĒtwo caterpillars that were very high on my wishlist‚ÄĒhave probably been my biggest nature-related highlights of the year. :D

Spoiler:

I also found a male Eastern Amberwing that I'd been wanting, the Rainbow Scarab Beetle I posted previously, and a very cool Long-tailed Salamander, learned that pawpaw flowers are carrion-mimics (kind of like Vileplume, though not nearly as huge or potent as Rafflesia), and touched live snakes for the first time in my life.

Spoiler:

3DS FC: 4081-5742-6200 ‚ÄĘ deviantART ‚ÄĘ Moths

icycatelf

Fake Card Artist

Age 30
Male
Kentucky
Online now
Posted 26 Minutes Ago
2,721 posts
15.9 Years
Since the two threads cover similar themes, would it be possible to merge my RealDex thread here? Basically everything I'd post there is something I'd also post here. Or we could just add a new RealDex to the second post here and I can stop updating my original thread.

VisionofMilotic

Lover of Dragons

Female
Sootopolis City, Joyous Gard
Seen 2 Hours Ago
Posted 2 Hours Ago
4,676 posts
4.7 Years
I wanted to stop by and congratulate our sunny and talented Nature Club owner and hostess Hyzenthlay for winning 1st runner up in the Clubhouse End of Year Festival, and also congratulate and cheer for all of you awesome nature lovers who helped carry this club to second place. Exciting!

Name: Narcissus
Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

I got Haxorus on "What Dragon-Type Pokemon are you?" https://quotev.com/quiz/5077163

Hyzenthlay

Age 21
The neglected garden
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
6,450 posts
8.2 Years
Thank you all so much for your support and your presence, you made it possible to achieve second place! I'm so thrilled to be a runner up when all those wonderful clubs from 2020 made the End of the Year Fest. <3 And I'm happy to share this lovely little trophy with you all! Thank you again, everyone! I promise that a big update is set for the future. :)

Finding the Eyed Paectes, Ironwing Clearwing, and the Spun Glass and Stinging Rose Caterpillars‚ÄĒtwo caterpillars that were very high on my wishlist‚ÄĒhave probably been my biggest nature-related highlights of the year. :D

Spoiler:

I also found a male Eastern Amberwing that I'd been wanting, the Rainbow Scarab Beetle I posted previously, and a very cool Long-tailed Salamander, learned that pawpaw flowers are carrion-mimics (kind of like Vileplume, though not nearly as huge or potent as Rafflesia), and touched live snakes for the first time in my life.

Spoiler:

Since the two threads cover similar themes, would it be possible to merge my RealDex thread here? Basically everything I'd post there is something I'd also post here. Or we could just add a new RealDex to the second post here and I can stop updating my original thread.
Wow, you've seen some amazing critters in the last year, I especially love those caterpillars! I'm going to upload my own list of the insects I photographed since making the club. I don't know all their names, so perhaps you can help me identify some. :)

Also, I think combining your RealDex thread with this club is a terrific idea! You can certainly keep updating in this thread, and since I actually have two soft-deleted posts reserved below my opening post, I can dedicate one to your RealDex! That would mean you send me all your organised photos/findings and I'll add some CSS to organise it all, and anyone can contribute. :D
ūüĆ≤ūüíěūüćÄ
Today is born sparkling
Like the day when we first met

icycatelf

Fake Card Artist

Age 30
Male
Kentucky
Online now
Posted 26 Minutes Ago
2,721 posts
15.9 Years
Congrats on second place! I honestly think we could've made it to first had the timing been better (not too many active insects/plants this season). Hopefully the club will start picking up pace when spring gets here!

In the meantime, here are a few more of my past finds:

Spoiler:
A female ichneumon wasp (possibly Arotes amoenus or Spilopteron formosum)

Juvenile toothy skinks, often called "blue-tailed skinks," are my favorite kind of lizard!

Calamites, ancient bamboo-like reeds, pre-dated the dinosaurs!

Wow, you've seen some amazing critters in the last year, I especially love those caterpillars! I'm going to upload my own list of the insects I photographed since making the club. I don't know all their names, so perhaps you can help me identify some. :)
Yeah, last year was pretty fruitful. Hopefully this year will wield just as many or more interesting newbies!

I'm still no expert, but I'll certainly try to help identify your finds!

Also, I think combining your RealDex thread with this club is a terrific idea! You can certainly keep updating in this thread, and since I actually have two soft-deleted posts reserved below my opening post, I can dedicate one to your RealDex! That would mean you send me all your organised photos/findings and I'll add some CSS to organise it all, and anyone can contribute. :D
Sent you a PM!

Hyzenthlay

Age 21
The neglected garden
Seen 1 Day Ago
Posted 6 Days Ago
6,450 posts
8.2 Years
Wow, that's an impressive list you sent! :D Okay, I'll create some CSS and arrange it into a gallery, then I'll get your feedback via PM before making it into a post!

It's a lovely season for birdlife, I only wish they'd hold still for a moment so I could get a clear picture! We've had Australian Ringnecks and Western Rosellas play in our birdbath all summer, as well as many other birds, like honeyeaters, silvereyes, white-breasted robins, scarlet robins, red wattlebirds, fantails, fairy wrens--even crows and kookaburras come to visit! I have a book on Australian birds somewhere, I should make a list of all the ones I've seen.

As a topic: What's the birdlife like in your part of the world? Can you identify and name the birds you see?
ūüĆ≤ūüíěūüćÄ
Today is born sparkling
Like the day when we first met

The Killer Red Skull

The God of Hell and The God of Death

Male
Hell's Ultimate Fortress
Seen 8 Hours Ago
Posted 9 Hours Ago
407 posts
213 Days
Hi Everyone!
Sorry for posting after a long time,
But I wanted to ask that do you remember Opal?
She has grown a quite a bit, I would post her pic in a few hours from now...

Believe it or not, Same Muk Different Day

BTW I am the owner of DT studios (A Fan Game Developing Co.) run by me and I have just started it yes so I am the only member, so plz join it today! My first game which I would be working on is Pokemon Paranormal.
Discord: https://discord.gg/wmB7SScz8R

icycatelf

Fake Card Artist

Age 30
Male
Kentucky
Online now
Posted 26 Minutes Ago
2,721 posts
15.9 Years
It's a lovely season for birdlife, I only wish they'd hold still for a moment so I could get a clear picture! We've had Australian Ringnecks and Western Rosellas play in our birdbath all summer, as well as many other birds, like honeyeaters, silvereyes, white-breasted robins, scarlet robins, red wattlebirds, fantails, fairy wrens--even crows and kookaburras come to visit! I have a book on Australian birds somewhere, I should make a list of all the ones I've seen.

As a topic: What's the birdlife like in your part of the world? Can you identify and name the birds you see?
Oh, that's right. Our winter is your summer.

So many cool birds in your part of the world! I'm no "birder," but some of the most striking species I've noticed here include blue jays, northern cardinals, American goldfinches, ruby-throated hummingbirds, scarlet tanagers (seen once), yellow-headed blackbirds (seen once), and hooded warblers (seen twice). We also get blue herons(?) sometimes and had several hawks (broad-winged, I think) hanging around last year. My personal fave is the tufted titmouse, though.

EDIT: Also, unrelated to birds, here's another possible entry for the RealDex

Spoiler:

Though primarily based on the Diving Bell Spider, Dewpider's name may be derived from "dewdrop spiders" (Argyrodes). These tiny spiders usually sport a reflective, silvery abdomen, making them resemble drops of dew as they sneak into the webs of larger spiders to steal prey.

This could just be a coincidence, though it may be worth noting that Diving Bell Spiders don't occur in Hawaii, the real-world inspiration behind Alola, but dewdrop spiders do!