Pokémon Vengeance is made using Pokémon Essentials and is inspired by Pokémon Reborn and Rejuvenation. It takes place in the Verdiva Region, which consists of 3 main islands:
- Deloria Island:
- Cryolysis Island:
- Dritari Island:
You, the player, start in Goldsong Village. This quaint village is on the west coast of Deloria and is known for its beautiful autumn atmosphere. You are visiting your older sister, Aria, for the first time in many years, and are away from your home and parents in Graywave City. Your family, the Knight family, is known throughout the region due to everyone's amazing accomplishments. Your mother, Artemis, was a champion for a long time until her soon-to-be husband, Lucius, defeated her in battle. Even Artemis' sister, Hestia, is well-known due to her Elite Octet status. Lucius and Artemis went on to have 3 children: Anthony, Aria, and you, the player. Anthony is known for his recent status as a Gym Leader, and he was at the top of his class at Darkleaf Academy. Aria, of course, went off to Kalos and earned her name as Kalos Queen. That leaves you. How will you earn a name for yourself? Will you live up to your family's reputation, or will you forge your own instead? How will you react when your perception of reality is shattered? How will you exact your revenge (or towards whom)?
During your time visiting Aria, a tragedy befalls your parents at their home in Graywave City. Verdiva, no longer under the protection of their champion(s), is overcome with people competing for new control over the region. Two new organizations reveal themselves after this tragedy, but their goals and practices differ immensely. Team Regal wishes to seize control of Verdiva now that the two strongest trainers are gone and the region is in disarray. Team Celestial, on the other hand, wishes to prevent people from gaining too much power, because once someone is strong enough to capture legendary Pokémon, they have the ability to disrupt the natural balance and stability in the world, which has been seen countless times in the past. Ultra Space will also be a major focus of Pokémon Vengeance, and the player will be able to explore many aspects of it along his/her journey. You and Aria must become trainers so that you can avoid the fate your parents experienced and choose how to serve justice.
- 18 Gyms
Each Gym specializes in a specific type, and no two Gym Leaders are fought on the same field. Several Gym Leader rematches will be available, both in the Pokémon World Tournament and the gyms themselves. (More information about rematches is under "New Moves/Abilities" and "Improved and expanded Pokémon World Tournament".)
- Elite Octet
The Elite Octet is similar to the Elite Four of other regions, except here, each trainer specializes in a specific stat (including Accuracy and Evasion). To become a true Pokémon master, you must master both all the types and all the stats. We plan to include several different versions of teams for each member so that there is variety in their battles.
- Reborn/Rejuvenation-style Field Effects
Pokémon Reborn's fields are said to crank up the mechanics of the original terrains (Electric Terrain, Grassy Terrain, Misty Terrain, and Psychic Terrain) to 11. If this is the case, we've increased that to 12 in Pokémon Vengeance. Existing fields from Reborn and Rejuvenation are expanded to interact with many more moves and abilities, and there will possibly be more interaction with items as well. Additionally, there are 6 new fields unique to Pokémon Vengeance so far. More information about the new fields can be found in the main post for the game (linked below).
- Meaningful decisions
Your actions and choices will affect the story as well as the teams important trainers may have.
- New moves/abilities
There are many new moves and abilities available to existing Pokémon in the Verdiva Region. Each Pokémon now has access to 4 total abilities (2 normal and 2 hidden). Hidden abilities will become available at certain points throughout the story. Note that Pokémon that change their form with their ability (Aegislash, Cherrim, etc.) will not receive any new ones. New moves will be available through move tutor, and these moves are taught (and used) by the Gym Leaders of the region. Each Gym Leader has 2 unique moves, and can teach you the first move through first level rematches and the second move through second level rematches. Rematches will be available as soon as the Gym Leader is first defeated, but they may be quite difficult when attempting them at that time.
- All Pokémon available
This includes Generation 1 through Generation 8, along with the Isle of Armor expansion, Crown Tundra expansion, and Legends: Arceus. It will probably include generation 9 once it is released. All legendaries will be available in the post-game.
This includes USUM-exclusive Z-Moves.
- HM replacements
Items will be used instead of HMs so that "HM slaves" are not necessary.
- Improved and expanded Pokémon World Tournament
The Pokémon World Tournament will take place in Jadeburn City, and will be available starting after the third Gym. It is going to be a tremendous part of the game, and hopefully can be as entertaining as possible. All levels will be set to 50, irregardless of whether the player's Pokémon are above or below that level, which allows the player to have fun at any point in the game. The player will register trainers in a device known as the Tournament Pager throughout his/her journey, and you will see this starting right after you get your first Pokémon. The Tournament Pager will be used to register all trainers, including ones from other regions (which there will be quite a lot of). This means that they can all be found somewhere in-game, though many will only appear on certain days of the week. You can participate in the Pokémon World Tournament with anyone registered in the Tournament Pager, though more formats will be available as you register more trainers, progress in the story, and meet other requirements. More information about the specific formats of the Pokémon World Tournament can be found in the main post for the game (linked below).
- Custom Mega Evolutions
We have plans to include custom Mega Evolutions for many Pokémon so that ones with less competitive use can still be used effectively.
We are looking for:
*Positions are listed in descending order of urgency*
Trainer Front Sprites
Front Sprites are needed just for our custom characters. Walter, the headmaster of Darkleaf Academy is shown here, who you will meet before the end of v1. A lot of our character sprites lack some originality, so we are looking for people who can help us out with this.
Trainer VS Sprites
VS Sprites are needed mostly for our custom characters. Serena from XY is here, who will be featured in our PWT, but since this is only a trace of one of her anime appearances, we need people who can make sprites for our original characters.
Trainer Back Sprites
Back sprites will only be needed for trainers that will team up with the player, but there are going to be quite a few of these. Featured here is Aria, the player's older sister.
Trainer Overworld Sprites
There are many characters who will be part of the game, and overworld sprites come along with that. Having a few more people to help with this would speed along development.
Some additional art for an 18-badge trainer card, a controls screen, possibly a few tweaks for a new logo, as well as some other things are needed. (You don't need to do all of these in order to join for this position.)
Item Icons & Gym Badges
This will not be much work, and will mainly consist of new mega stones and a few other miscellaneous items.
Field Effect interactions are nearly done now, so we're just looking for someone who can help speed along the scripting process by helping with the Pokemon World Tournament and a few other things.
Please check out the main post and the first demo (currently only about an hour of gameplay)!
If you'd like to be a part the development team or are interested in the game, please join the Discord!
I added a bunch of trainer overworld and front sprites to the main post. We are still looking for some Artists/Spriters, so join the Discord if you're interested in becoming part of the development team! We are also still recruiting a scripter, which would speed along development a bit.
We're still looking for artists; join the Discord if you're interested!
In the meantime, I'll give a bit of an example of an update we're doing on an existing field. The Chess Board probably wasn't very popular due to it not giving boosts to any specific types and not having any unique features to it. Check out the entry for the Field Effect Manual provided here to see how we updated it (sorry about the formatting):
#-------------------------------- 5. Chess Board [CHB] --------------------------------#
"Opening variation set."
* On White turns, Normal moves deal x1.5 damage and Dark moves deal x0.5 damage
* On Black turns, Dark moves deal x1.5 damage and Normal moves deal x0.5 damage
* The following abilities additionally raise Speed upon entry:
Battle Armor Own Tempo
* Oblivious additionally lowers Speed at the end of each turn
* Pokemon with Levitate additonally have their Speed doubled
* Pokemon with Trace instead have a 50% chance of using damaging moves that target the Pokemon against the attacker
* Inner Focus additionally prevents stat reduction and ignores opponent's stat increases
* Pressure's effect is doubled
* Pokemon with Run Away have their Attack reduced but Speed increased upon entry
* Pokemon with Keen Eye have an increased Critical hit rate
* Hustle additionally applies to Special moves, but Accuracy is instead always x0.7
* Arena Trap additionally increases opposing Pokemon's PP usage by 1
* Steadfast additionally boosts Speed whenever the Pokemon is damaged by a move
* Rivalry is activated regardless of gender
* These moves become 'Chess Attacks,' gaining a x1.5 increase in power and gain additional Rock type.
Psychic Strength Ancient Power Tectonic Rage
* Chess Attacks deal x2 damage to Pokemon with the following abilities:
Oblivious Simple Unaware Klutz
* Chess Attacks deal x2 damage to Pokemon suffering from Confusion (This does not stack with the above abilities)
* Chess Attacks deal x0.5 damage to Pokemon with the following abilities:
Adaptability Synchronize Anticipation Telepathy
* Chess Attacks shift the background the same as it would be shifted at the end of that round
* These moves gain double their normal stat-changing effects:
* Nasty Plot boosts Sp.Atk by a total of 3 stages
* Trick Room lasts for 8 turns
* These moves increase in base power x1.5:
Fake Out Feint Feint Attack
* Nature Power becomes Court Change
* Camouflage changes the user's type to Psychic
* Secret Power may lower Defense
* Synthetic Seed boosts Sp.Atk and applies Magic Coat to the holder
* The following moves terminate this field:
Stomping Tantrum Tectonic Rage
* All Pokemon have access to all (typically 4) abilities they could possibly have (this does not affect As One)
* Effects that manipulate abilities (like Skill Swap, Gastro Acid, and Mummy) affect all of the Pokemon's abilities
* At the end of each round, the background shifts, indicating a type of chess piece (chosen randomly) and a color (alternates each round) for the next round
* On Pawn rounds, no special effect takes place
* On Bishop rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position diagonal from the user increase in power x1.5
* On Bishop rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position across from the user decrease in power x0.5
* On Rook rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position across from the user increase in power x1.5
* On Rook rounds (which only can occur in doubles), moves hitting the position diagonal from the user decrease in power x0.5
* On Knight rounds, the priority bracket is inverted (goes back to normal temporarily if Trick Room is in effect)
* On King rounds, x1.5 to the Defense and Sp. Def of all Pokemon
* On Queen rounds in double battles, type effectiveness is inverted
* On Queen rounds in single battles, x1.5 to the Attack and Sp. Atk of all Pokemon
Also, I posted a video so it can be seen in action on the main post, but I'll put it here as well:
We're still looking for various artists and possibly a scripter, but in the meantime, here's a bit of a progress update:
Mega Arcanine sprite made by Vlamingo:
Aria's back sprite made by Ny:
One thing to note is that we changed the field with the quad abilities which you may have seen in the previous post to be the Holy Field instead. With the other effects we added to the Chess Board, it was already getting very crowded with effects, so it doesn't really need anything more.
Hello everyone, we are now looking for more people once again. Most importantly, we are in need of trainer spriters or at least people who can make character concept art, but we are still recruiting scripters. We are also looking for someone with some competitive knowledge to help with creating teams for important trainers. The new logo is on display here and the updated field effect manual is in the main post in case you're interested. We are pushing ahead and most of what we have left before the release of v1 is just mapping, eventing, and some spriting. Please reach out if you are interested in joining the team!