Advertiser Content
Seen April 13th, 2019
Posted April 12th, 2019
7 posts
163 Days
Definitely a counterfeit. Other one potentially is too if they came from the same pack.
Can I ask what indicates that it is counterfeit? So I can know for the rest of my collection. The pack was bought from a trusted retailer around 15 years ago. Nothing seemed different in the packaging from any other packs I've bought

donavannj

Age 28
Male
'cause it get cold like Minnesota
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
22,361 posts
14.5 Years
Can I ask what indicates that it is counterfeit? So I can know for the rest of my collection. The pack was bought from a trusted retailer around 15 years ago. Nothing seemed different in the packaging from any other packs I've bought
The star holofoil pattern has never been used on any official Pokemon cards. And one card being counterfeit in a booster pack is usually indicative of other cards in the booster pack likely being counterfeits.

Trusted retailers can get supplied counterfeit product by their distributors as well. And some unscrupulous people can - and probably have in some places in the past - create some counterfeit product and swap it out for legit product that's already on the store shelf if no one is there to stop them, making it look like nothing's gone missing to people who don't know better.

15 years ago was also 2004 and there was a decent amount of counterfeit product in circulation in packs that were made up of cards that some repackers were buying through online marketplaces and then repacking into new but unofficial packs in 2004.
whoops
Seen April 13th, 2019
Posted April 12th, 2019
7 posts
163 Days
The star holofoil pattern has never been used on any official Pokemon cards. And one card being counterfeit in a booster pack is usually indicative of other cards in the booster pack likely being counterfeits.

Trusted retailers can get supplied counterfeit product by their distributors as well. And some unscrupulous people can - and probably have in some places in the past - create some counterfeit product and swap it out for legit product that's already on the store shelf if no one is there to stop them, making it look like nothing's gone missing to people who don't know better.

15 years ago was also 2004 and there was a decent amount of counterfeit product in circulation in packs that were made up of cards that some repackers were buying through online marketplaces and then repacking into new but unofficial packs in 2004.
Thanks for your help. I wish I could say I was surprised, but I had a feeling when I couldn't find anything about the card online. I've searched for a few guides on detecting fakes so hopefully they'll be some help for next time. Thanks again!
Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Hello, I've been doing some research on the rest of my cards, and I found this Base Set 2 9/130 Magneton holo, which has a strange black spot in the bottom right corner of the set symbol. Is this considered to be a misprint/error card?

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Online now
Posted 1 Minute Ago
8,845 posts
8.3 Years
Hey there Karen! A picture would be super useful. I believe it is just the rarity symbol of the Magneton you're looking at (should be a small star!), however it might be something else like a minor inking error so it's hard to say without visuals. Also, as for your previous post: Japanese Pokemon cards technically did not have a "1st edition" as we understand it until the E-series. But if it is printed before then and has no visible rarity marking, it was an among the "first early prints". However, in later runs such as Shining Legends, you'll see a little "1st Edition" symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the card.

English on left / Japanese on right

Hope this helped! :)

Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Hey there Karen! A picture would be super useful. I believe it is just the rarity symbol of the Magneton you're looking at (should be a small star!), however it might be something else like a minor inking error so it's hard to say without visuals. Also, as for your previous post: Japanese Pokemon cards technically did not have a "1st edition" as we understand it until the E-series. But if it is printed before then and has no visible rarity marking, it was an among the "first early prints". However, in later runs such as Shining Legends, you'll see a little "1st Edition" symbol in the bottom left hand corner of the card.

English on left / Japanese on right

Hope this helped! :)
Hello Fairy,

Thanks for your nice reaction. :smile:

But, about the Magneton: I was actually wondering about the spot underneath the set symbol, not about the rarity symbol.
So, to explain things better, I posted some pictures of the card in my previous message about the Magneton.

And also, thanks so very much for your answer about the First Edition symbols. It was really helpful!

donavannj

Age 28
Male
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
22,361 posts
14.5 Years
Hello Fairy,

Thanks for your nice reaction. :smile:

But, about the Magneton: I was actually wondering about the spot underneath the set symbol, not about the rarity symbol.
So, to explain things better, I posted some pictures of the card in my previous message about the Magneton.

And also, thanks so very much for your answer about the First Edition symbols. It was really helpful!

Magneton just has a printing defect.

Is this worth anything?

That Blissey is worth only about $0.76 in mint condition. In that condition, probably about $0.40.
whoops

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Online now
Posted 1 Minute Ago
8,845 posts
8.3 Years
What about this one? This one is from a 2014 world chanpionship
Championship cards like that aren't really worth any more than they're non-signed counterparts. For your card, I'd say it's worth about ¢.50.

Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Yesterday, I got a bunch of Nintendo Dunkin Pokémon cards from 2000. So I started identifying and ordering these cards, but I got a little confused about the logos on the sides of the cards. Because, even though all of these cards look similar, there's only one difference: these logos never seem to be on the same spot for each card. So now I am wondering: What's the reason for this? Are these logos important when it comes to sorting these cards?

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Online now
Posted 1 Minute Ago
8,845 posts
8.3 Years
Usually cards like that have laxer rules about where the information is placed because the Pokémon takes up so much room on the card / the colors of the background vary so much. So there’s no one size fits all solution for where to place text in those cases, you know?

Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Usually cards like that have laxer rules about where the information is placed because the Pokémon takes up so much room on the card / the colors of the background vary so much. So there’s no one size fits all solution for where to place text in those cases, you know?
OK, thanks for your nice reaction. So now I have a second question:

I also got a bunch of Topps Pokémon cards, Artbox Pokémon cards, Artbox Pokémon stickers and Merlin Pokémon stickers. Is there an online guide for collecting those??? I'm sorry I'm a real newbie at this :blush:

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Online now
Posted 1 Minute Ago
8,845 posts
8.3 Years
OK, thanks for your nice reaction. So now I have a second question:

I also got a bunch of Topps Pokémon cards, Artbox Pokémon cards, Artbox Pokémon stickers and Merlin Pokémon stickers. Is there an online guide for collecting those??? I'm sorry I'm a real newbie at this :blush:
Happy to help. :)

Looking around, I can't find a guide per se on collecting those specific items. However, a list of the released products and prices from other sellers does exist. Here's a list of all the Pokemon merchandise manufactured by Topps. (And one for Artbox stickers) You can sort what you're looking for, make sure you have each card, evaluate the condition, then gather price data from places like Ebay, collectors.com, tcgplayer, pokemonprices, and various other websites.

Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Happy to help. :)

Looking around, I can't find a guide per se on collecting those specific items. However, a list of the released products and prices from other sellers does exist. Here's a list of all the Pokemon merchandise manufactured by Topps. (And one for Artbox stickers) You can sort what you're looking for, make sure you have each card, evaluate the condition, then gather price data from places like Ebay, collectors.com, tcgplayer, pokemonprices, and various other websites.
Thanks for your nice reaction :smile: So now I have another question: I've got a Merlin 2000 Charizard holo sticker (number 121) in good-NM condition. But I can't find this sticker anywhere on the Internet, though. So can you tell me what this sticker is worth in euros?

donavannj

Age 28
Male
Seen 6 Hours Ago
Posted 1 Day Ago
22,361 posts
14.5 Years
Thanks for your nice reaction :smile: So now I have another question: I've got a Merlin 2000 Charizard holo sticker (number 121) in good-NM condition. But I can't find this sticker anywhere on the Internet, though. So can you tell me what this sticker is worth in euros?
Could not find it specifically, but based on other standalone Merlin stickers I could find, I'd put it as somewhere between 1 and 2 euros, maybe a bit less. Maybe even a bit more because it's got Charizard which generally adds some to the price.
whoops

Fairy

Female
Laverre City
Online now
Posted 1 Minute Ago
8,845 posts
8.3 Years
I was able to do a bit of research and found the sticker being sold by an independent seller for $1.99. In Euros that would be about 1.78, so Don was right. :) Hope that helped!

Seen 6 Days Ago
Posted 2 Weeks Ago
43 posts
1 Years
Could not find it specifically, but based on other standalone Merlin stickers I could find, I'd put it as somewhere between 1 and 2 euros, maybe a bit less. Maybe even a bit more because it's got Charizard which generally adds some to the price.
OK thank you both for your nice reactions. So now I have another question: I have some more Topps (Merlin) Pokémon stickers, but those are from Merlin Stickers Series 1, made in 1999. The six stickers from the first pics are in mint condition, the 6 stickers from the last pictures are Good-NM. Worth anything?
Advertiser Content