• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

5th Gen Do you think that some of the Unova Pokemon don't even look like Pokemon?

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
Years
I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones _____________________________________________________________________

Volcarona FTW! Oh and Larvesta, he is cool too...

Honestly, the "ur not pokeman fan if u dun liek all of da pokemanz" argument is really flawed. I'm a fan of the Atlanta Falcons football team and I don't like all the players on the team. I can criticize one of the players saying that they shouldn't be a player, doesn't make me any less of a fan. I believe it actually makes you a true fan.

Years
Wandering garbarage is stupid? So is wandering dirt. We are just more used to the wandering dirt.

This is very well said.

We're very often let down by new pokémon. Because they're new. They take some getting used to. Like someone said earlier in this thread, if the first generation were to be new pokémon now, they'd look weird. Maybe not so much because of their designs, but because suddenly there are new pokémon and you have to get used to them being... well, pokémon.
I also think we're just getting more critical towards pokémon's designs, because we are getting older.

Either way there was one pokémon to which my reaction was really something along the lines of "That's a pokémon??" - Herdier. It just looks like a cartoon dog to me. I'm alright with it now though.

Frozen

Frosty
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I feel that way with a lot of the new Pokemon, like Vanillite. It's an ice cream cone, not a Pokemon. Pokemon were originally based on animals, not inanimate objects like a coffin or an ice-cream cone. :/ While I do like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, the ones that are based on objects just don't seem like Pokemon.

BryGuy Shinigami

Psychic Pokemon Prophet
Years
What qualifies a Pokemon to be a Pokemon in the first place? It's not animal/plant based cause Gen 1 had Pokemon like Koffing and Muk. At first I hated the new Pokemon except Victini and Snivy and not only was it my least favorite generation of Pokemon, but I feared the Pokemon could decline cause of them. But now I love this gen more than any other. I like Oshawatt, Tepig, the monkey trio, Yamask, Munna, Sandile, and others. I still hate Garbordor cause it disturbs me. But I actually like Trubbish and think it's cute. I really dislike Audino though. But like one comic I read said, we would most likely acted the same if the Gens were reverse. We would go nostalgic on Golurk and Woobat and hated Golem and Zubat.

Years
  • Seen Jan 16, 2017
I'd have to say Genesect looks most Un-Pokemon-like. As I once read on a distance forum thread.. "Genesect looks like a digimon reject". I can't say I disagree .-.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Meloetta, Throh, Sawk, Vanillite, Vanillish, and Vanilluxe don't look like Pokemon to me. As you may know, James Turner designed the Vanillite evolutionary line, which explains why they suck! WHY DID GF GO TO AN AMERICAN(or Canadian, I forget) FOR CONCEPT ART? :( :(

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I feel that way with a lot of the new Pokemon, like Vanillite. It's an ice cream cone, not a Pokemon. Pokemon were originally based on animals, not inanimate objects like a coffin or an ice-cream cone. :/ While I do like a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, the ones that are based on objects just don't seem like Pokemon.

Magnemite and Porygon aren't animals. Grimer isn't either. Not all of them are based on animals. But I think gen I just isn't as creative as people make it out to be.

Anyway, the only Pokemon in gen V that bother me are Sawk and Throh. They look strange to me. It's like capturing a red and blue midget or something.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
Years
Anyway, the only Pokemon in gen V that bother me are Sawk and Throh. They look strange to me. It's like capturing a red and blue midget or something.
Same. Those two look so damn annoying! Little karate Pokemon in karate suits! :| :/

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2013
If Game Freak says it's a Pokemon, then so will I. I'm not going to question where the Pokemon came from or who designed it. People just need to stop comparing the newer generations with the older ones, especially when they say things like "To me, there are only 151 Pokemon."

Digimon and Yu-gi-oh have FAR more creatures than Pokemon does, and no one seems to have a problem with those. If Yu-gi-oh and Digimon can have thousands of creatures, why can't Pokemon?

Quixote

Pokemon Researcher
Years

Magnemite and Porygon aren't animals. Grimer isn't either. Not all of them are based on animals. But I think gen I just isn't as creative as people make it out to be.

The thing is though, is that all of the ones that aren't technically animals in Gen 1 at least had a back story saying that they were exceptions in the Pokemon world.

The Void

hiiiii
Years
LOOK AT THE SIMILARITIES BETWEEN PREVIOUS GENS BEFORE COMPLAINING. >.>

Garbodor/Trubbish - Koffing/Weezing - Grimer/Muk
Klink - Magnemite - Bronzong - Beldum
Throh/Sawk - Hitmonchan/Hitmonlee/Hitmontop
Genesect - Mewtwo
Meloetta - Celebi

And seriously, the Ice-type Pokemon of this gen are just as weird as the Ice-type Pokemon in the previous gens... what, Vanillite/Vanillish/Vanilluxe are a bunch of stupid Ice-cream cones, you say? Well look at Jynx/Smoochum, they're weirder! I can't even figure out what Snorunt and Glalie are supposed to be...

It's like telling Game Freak 'you aren't creating Pokemon' like they don't know what a Pokemon is... >.>

Asuf

Dragon Tamer
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jul 24, 2012
Most Pokemon are based off of animals, elements, substances, etc. These are supposedly what Pokemon should 'look' like. Pokemon based off of objects other then animals are most likely to be hated, such as kling, litwick, trubbish and Vannilite line (just examples). However I like the idea of some Pokemon being based off of objects, it should be seen a little more often.

pknight96

Massive Unidentified Terrestrial Organism
Years
I hate when people say they hate Gen V! It annoys me, because all they do is complain that they are either rip-offs of Gen I or not Pokemon at all! Are you going to tell me that Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Mew, and Mewtwo are better designs than JUST the Tao Trio (Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyruem)? Plus, the Musketeers are awesome as well! I can honestly say that I prefer all of Gen V to Gen I, except for starters, Gyarados, and Gengar.

Years
  • Seen May 28, 2012
It seems like the creators of pokemon lack of inspiration. I don't like the new pokemon either.

-Grayscale-

яιѕєη ƒяσм тнє ๔єα๔...
Years
I hate when people say they hate Gen V! It annoys me, because all they do is complain that they are either rip-offs of Gen I or not Pokemon at all!
I hate Gen V. Get mad about it.

Lol naw just playin'

Although some designs are similar, and I really dislike a lot of certain new Pokemon in Gen V, some of them are very good and I was SO excited to see a freaking Zebra get into the pokemon world. Most of the pokemon are based off of something anyways. Also, it's hard to be original when you have 493 pokemon already, so give them a break.

Still, it would be cool if they went back to simpler designs like first Gen o:

Digimon and Yu-gi-oh have FAR more creatures than Pokemon does, and no one seems to have a problem with those. If Yu-gi-oh and Digimon can have thousands of creatures, why can't Pokemon?
Seeing as I often complain about the number of how many pokemon there are, seeing this... my mind = blown. Never thought of it like that. Good point.

I think a Pokemon is a Pokemon no matter what it looks like. True fans of Pokemon accept all generations and just have fun with the games instead of criticizing them anyways, because the games are a blast, especially the new ones.
I didn't know there was a different between true fans and fans rofl
I think you can criticize something and still be a fan. That's like saying that if I said I didn't like a certain pokemon I wasn't a 'real' fan. Yeahhh, no. If you say and think you're a fan, you're a fan. Edn

Last edited:

Comerion

DGXZ
Years
I agree with what everyone said, although here are some of the worst IMO
-Munna line: Oval with legs?
-Garbodor line: Pile of crap. Literally.
-Audino: even crappier version of Munna/Musharna
-Keldeo: My little pony?

dreamcatcher

Lump Appraiser
Years
Personally I love all of the Unova Pokémon :3 ...well, almost. I can't stand Simipour and Simisear *shudders* I just can't. They look like Dora the Explorer characters. I cringe every time they pop up on the screen. </3

EarthWolfblade

Returning breeder
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 19, 2013
[SIZE="a"]↑

Exactly. I love Unova Pokemon especially Bisharp. I absolutely HATE the monkeys Simisage isn't AS bad but it's still stupid.

Also--

Garbodor is stupid.

So is Muk.

We're just more used to Muk[/SIZE]

TheAC29

A new adventure begins now
Years
Well, a few kinda doesn't look like Pokemon to me
Klink's evolution line is gears the last one is like combined with 1st and 2nd pre-evolved forms.
Vanillite's evolution line looks like an ice cream with a cone.
Trubbish's evolution line (I hate to say this) it evolves into garbage.
They kinda ran out of ideas of designs for newer Pokemon for newer generations.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 1, 2024
Okay, so as one of those purists of sorts who believe Generation I is superior to all the rest, I have to say... I don't understand at all how people can say that they're running out of ideas. Though I don't particularly like some of the new Pokemon and feel they resemble Digimon more, to say that they're running out of ideas? That's ridiculous. If anything, they're getting more creative and a little more complex with their designs (and I think there-in lies the problem for so many people).

My only problem with the new Pokemon are only with a few: Timburr, Gurdurr, Cokeldurr, Throh, and Sawk, because they're way too human for my liking (same reason I dislike Pokemon like the Machop line), Druddigon, Golett, Golurk, Pawniard, and Bisharp. Mainly Bisharp, if I'm going to be completely honest. Those Pokemon (I guess the first five fighting Pokemon aside; I can let them pass) are Pokemon I just don't think should be there. Bisharp is amazing and I think it's really cool and has an awesome design, but as a Pokemon I just don't feel it has a place.

Back