• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hidden Gems on Your Team

JadeMarauder

Professionally Amateur
Years
We've all heard about the tier lists and the menace that is Landorus, but not everyone wins their battles with the same old Uber tier team members. If a Pachirisu can secure a world championship, anything is possible! So, what I'm curious to know is this- what's a hidden gem on your team? This is all about Pokémon that people either think are just plain weak, or that you use in a radically different way than what you typically see.

For me, it's Empoleon. I looked at the movesets that Smogon suggests for it, but they just don't make sense to me. The one I first trained in Alpha Sapphire is still the crown jewel of any team I put him on. Here's what I gave him:

Nature: Modest
EVs: max Special Attack and Defense
Item: Assault Vest
Moves: Scald, Aqua Jet, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam

My Empoleon is the main damage dealer on the team. With his Special Defense raised through the roof, he can take Thunderbolts all day without being bothered, and anyone he doesn't finish off in one Scald, he quickly wipes up with Aqua Jet. I usually partner him with a Flying type to cover his weakness to Fighting, while he can cover their weakness to Rock or Ice.

What about you guys?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 8, 2024
We've all heard about the tier lists and the menace that is Landorus, but not everyone wins their battles with the same old Uber tier team members. If a Pachirisu can secure a world championship, anything is possible! So, what I'm curious to know is this- what's a hidden gem on your team? This is all about Pokémon that people either think are just plain weak, or that you use in a radically different way than what you typically see.

For me, it's Empoleon. I looked at the movesets that Smogon suggests for it, but they just don't make sense to me. The one I first trained in Alpha Sapphire is still the crown jewel of any team I put him on. Here's what I gave him:

Nature: Modest
EVs: max Special Attack and Defense
Item: Assault Vest
Moves: Scald, Aqua Jet, Flash Cannon, Ice Beam
Are you playing a specific format? Or just Wi-Fi battles? Just curious.

The movesets may not make sense as they are inclined towards Gen 6/7 OU, where Empoleon is primarily used as a hazard setter and/or remover and special tank. I like your set although it might be more helpful to run Stealth Rock over one of the attacking moves (especially if most of the people you play against don't run it; that will give you a huge advantage).

In response to your initial question I have really been considering the merits of Choice Specs Slowbro in Gen 8 OU. I think Psychic (or Psyshock) + Scald + Fire Blast + Teleport could really throw some opponents off, and it totally shreds through Toxapex + Ferrothorn cores.

Last edited:

JadeMarauder

Professionally Amateur
Years
No specific format in mind, really. I usually just battle random people online, so rule sets and tier listings are kind of thrown out the window.

Empoleon as a hazard setter always seemed weird to me. It has such high Special Attack that I've always felt like its move slots are better occupied with pure offense. I usually end up with teams so heavily resistant to Rock that Stealth Rock never bothers me, so entry hazards have rarely played a big part for me anyway. Aside from Sticky Web, that is. That one has ruined me a few times.

I'm a bit curious about your Slowbro set. I've never heard anyone bother putting Teleport on a more competitive moveset- what's that used for in this context? Also, if this is Gen 8, are we talking about regular Slowbro or Galarian?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Online now
Toxicroak (Max attack/speed). This is a hard counter to toxapex

Drain Punch
Swords Dance
Earthquake
Gunk Shot

Dry Skin means it's immune to water attacks (Scald burns), can't be hit by toxic. So anytime I have a team that struggles with toxapex I throw this in the 6th slot. So many people even switch toxapex in, as long as I don't show earthquake. Also deals with clefable which is a plus.

Years
On showdown I have been using:

Scizor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Roost
- Defog

For years now and I love this set, so good at shutting down physical threats. Right now I use it as a Zeraora and Urishifu counter mainly, good for pivoting and clearing hazards.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen Dec 26, 2023
Swellow @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Boomburst
- Endeavor
- Substitute
- Heat Wave

Justification:

Honestly, this is probably one of the best wallbreakers out there in the national dex, simply because of how direct it is. A new spin on the infamous FEAR sets, it gets a speed jump on a large section of the meta. Base 125 speed allows it to outspeed faster attackers like Cinderace, Greninja and Serperior among others.

However, what is does best is punch holes through teams. STAB Boomburst can deal significant damage to almost any passive wall like Toxapex, Clefable and Hippowdon prevalent in the metagame, and 2HKOs a lot of bulky pivots like Zapdos, Landorus-Therian and Gliscor. Anything that can take a boomburst generally succumbs to Heat Wave

Substitute helps punish switching in most walls , since it almost guarantees getting significant damage off and blocking attempts at status infliction.

Endeavor : This is the spice of this set. At level 100,A Swellow with 31 HP IVs and 0 speed EVs sits at 261 HP: allowing it to get off 4 substitutes and still live on 1 HP. Then, you click endeavor. The blissey or megearna that was efficiently walling you suddenly drops to 1 HP, putting them at a massive disadvantage. This allows a teammate with priority/endgame cleaning capability to capitalise on this weakened wall. Scrappy also prevents any ghosts from effectively walling this thing.

Teammates: Ash-Greninja is probably the greatest beneficiary of this set, getting the form change off, while not being pressured by the once formidable special wall. A shadow sneak Aegislash, or a scarf moxie-boosting pokemon like salamence/krookodile also benefit from this wallbreaking.

Checks: Infiltrator dragapult outspeeds it and goes through the substitute. Faster electric types like Regieleki or Tapu Koko caan also cause massive issues for this particular set.

Important Calcs:

Spoiler:

Back