• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Canalave library may have been source of inspiration for Legends: Arceus

Years
So, basically from the trailer we know that Pokemon and humans still live separate lives. yes, some pokemon actually help humans and so on, but as we can see from the trailer they can attack us too, so they're just still wild.
this made me remember something in the Canalave library, so I went checking and I found out there are some passages that really seem to refer to what we will probably see in this new game. I quote:
" Long ago, when Sinnoh had just been made, Pokémon and humans led separate lives.
That is not to say they did not help each other. No, indeed they did.
They supplied each other with goods, and supported each other.
A Pokémon proposed to the others to always be ready to help humans.
It asked that Pokémon be ready to appear before humans always.
Thus, to this day, Pokémon appear to us if we venture into tall grass. "

" A young man, callow and foolish in innocence, came to own a sword.
With it, he smote Pokémon, which gave sustenance, with carefree abandon.
Those not taken as food, he discarded, with no afterthought.
The following year, no Pokémon appeared. Larders grew bare.
The young man, seeking the missing Pokémon, journeyed afar.
Long did he search. And far and wide, too, until one he did find.
Asked he, "Why do you hide?" To which the Pokémon replied...
"If you bear your sword to bring harm upon us, with claws and fangs, we will exact a toll."
"From your kind we will take our toll, for it must be done."
"Done it must be to guard ourselves and for it, I apologize."
To the skies, the young man shouted his dismay.
"In having found the sword, I have lost so much."
"Gorged with power, I grew blind to Pokémon being alive."
"I will never fall savage again. This sword I denounce and forsake."
"I plead for forgiveness, for I was but a fool."
So saying, the young man hurled the sword to the ground, snapping it.
Seeing this, the Pokémon disappeared to a place beyond seeing... "

Last, but not least, in the trailer we see Laventon and Kamado referring to pokemon as horrific creatures. they fear them and there's a text in the Canalave library about this as well.
" Look not into the Pokémon's eyes.
In but an instant, you'll have no recollection of who you are.
Return home, but how? When there is nothing to remember?
Dare not touch the Pokémon's body.
In but three short days, all emotions will drain away.
Above all, above all, harm not the Pokémon.
In a scant five days, the offender will grow immobile in entirety. "

Do you think those things might actually be related to the new game or am I just traveling too much with my imagination?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
The first one, probably :3

The middle text I feel is a bit too grim to actually show or explain beyond vague library texts... idk.

The third one I feel is about Ninetales haha, it really sounds like the curses that would happen if you touch its tails d:

Years
The first one, probably :3

The middle text I feel is a bit too grim to actually show or explain beyond vague library texts... idk.

The third one I feel is about Ninetales haha, it really sounds like the curses that would happen if you touch its tails d:

i think the middle one may actually refer to the story of the game. imo, we ll have show in the end that pokemon and humans can cooperate and live together, but again, i m just guessing lol

Years
" Long ago, when Sinnoh had just been made, Pokémon and humans led separate lives.
That is not to say they did not help each other. No, indeed they did.
They supplied each other with goods, and supported each other.
A Pokémon proposed to the others to always be ready to help humans.
It asked that Pokémon be ready to appear before humans always.
Thus, to this day, Pokémon appear to us if we venture into tall grass. "

I can see this one!

Not sure what the original Japanese was for the Canalave Library texts, but I can definitely see this type of thing being an idea point for the Legends games - major or minor. Would really like to read or hear an interview in the future on the backstory behind the concept. \o/

Years
  • Age 32
  • USA
  • Seen Apr 17, 2024
Credit to the Bulbapedia article, but yes. I think you're really onto something.

The Pokémon may possibly refer to Giratina, which in turn would explain why the myth refers to Veilstone City, as it is the closest city to the Turnback Cave. Also, because the Pokémon fled to a location beyond sight, which is possibly the Distortion World.
The myth may be used to explain why most people in the Pokémon world use Pokémon instead of manufactured weaponry to fight.
In the Pokémon Adventures manga, Sird recites Veilstone's Myth when she gives Guile Hideout the sword and armor.

In the notes section worth noting too. This is not just a coincidence I feel!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
It did make a lot of sense to have Sinnoh be the (first) region they set a main series game in ancient setting in, considering all its historical connections and myths, including the library.

Although, for other reasons, Johto or Unova or Kalos would also have been good fits ofc x) Probably future games~

The game style of running around and seeing pokemon in the overworld arguably doesn't ring as true to the text Sheep refers to, as the old games where pokemon randomly approached you in tall grass.

I like the idea of the sword text referring to Giratina yeah :fufu: And I had forgotten that from the manga o:

Back