• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New player's first non-theme deck

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
So I decided to start playing the card game earlier this week on a lark. Technically I played a few times when I was 7 or 8 but I only ever had a starter deck (Psychic/ElectricLightning, featured Pikachu and Mewtwo. According to Bulbapedia it was called "Zap!"). I read a few articles on how to make a less-n00b deck, and here's my first attempt!

I used "Mewtwo Mayhem" as a basis and swapped in cards from "Ring of Lightning." Aside from those two theme decks the only cards I have are from two Evolutions booster packs, and I put in all my Trainer cards.

Pokemon:
2x Gastly
2x Haunter
3x Nidoran
2x Nidorino
1x Nidoking
2x Aipom
2x Ambipom
2x Mewtwo
2x Hoopa

Supporters:
1x Shauna
3x Professor Oak's Hint
2x Brock's Grit
4x Tierno
1x Pokemon Fan Club
2x Ninja Boy

Items:
1x Poke Ball
1x Great Ball
1x Ultra Ball
1x Evosoda
4x Professor's Letter
3x Energy Retrieval
2x Potion
2x Switch

Energy:
14x Psychic

Needs work, obviously (Don't have a Gengar, couldn't figure out what to put in to replace the Nido pyramid...), and I could use some help in figuring out what the most urgent problem to address is.

For what it's worth, I assembled a copy of this deck in TCG Online and won an upset match today! :) Mewtwo's Psychic is a low-energy way of punishing EXes who have high-energy attacks, I find.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
So I decided to start playing the card game earlier this week on a lark. Technically I played a few times when I was 7 or 8 but I only ever had a starter deck (Psychic/ElectricLightning, featured Pikachu and Mewtwo. According to Bulbapedia it was called "Zap!"). I read a few articles on how to make a less-n00b deck, and here's my first attempt!

I used "Mewtwo Mayhem" as a basis and swapped in cards from "Ring of Lightning." Aside from those two theme decks the only cards I have are from two Evolutions booster packs, and I put in all my Trainer cards.

Pokemon:
2x Gastly
2x Haunter
3x Nidoran
2x Nidorino
1x Nidoking
2x Aipom
2x Ambipom
2x Mewtwo
2x Hoopa

Supporters:
1x Shauna
3x Professor Oak's Hint
2x Brock's Grit
4x Tierno
1x Pokemon Fan Club
2x Ninja Boy

Items:
1x Poke Ball
1x Great Ball
1x Ultra Ball
1x Evosoda
4x Professor's Letter
3x Energy Retrieval
2x Potion
2x Switch

Energy:
14x Psychic

Needs work, obviously (Don't have a Gengar, couldn't figure out what to put in to replace the Nido pyramid...), and I could use some help in figuring out what the most urgent problem to address is.

For what it's worth, I assembled a copy of this deck in TCG Online and won an upset match today! :) Mewtwo's Psychic is a low-energy way of punishing EXes who have high-energy attacks, I find.

Really the biggest problem is tightening the decklist and speeding things up, but i appreciate you do not have many cards to work with.

RayquazaKeldeoBattleArenaDecks.jpg

Getting one of these is something I advise to all new players. It comes with:

2x VS Seeker
4x Professor Sycamore
2x N
2x Rough Seas
2x Dive Ball
4x Ultra Ball
2x Rare Candy
1x Octillery
2x level Ball
2x Lysandre
2X float stone
2x Skyla

And many more. which would really open up what you can do with this deck.

As for Gengar, check this fella out
https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=380809

He's cheap, easy to find and works well alongside Hoopa. I'd drop the Nido line altogether and fill the slots with ultra and/or level balls. I'd also drop the psychic energy to 8 and add four double colourless (speeds Mewtwo up considerably). Max potions are quite cheap so you could run those too.

If you're looking to splash a bit more cash then Fighting Fury Belts will keep Mewtwo in the fight a lot longer, Regice from Ancient origins also stops EXs from attacking (Is also like a $1 card, and comes in the Keldeo box) so you could always run the deck as 4 water energy - 4 psychic - 4 DCE which would allow you some variety and a bit more coverage.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 15, 2022
Hey, thanks for the advice! That Gengar looks incredible.

No problem buddy :) If you have any other questions about the TCG or deck building feel free to drop me a VM

Back