• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advance Generation Question & Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal'akh

Hate this place. Gone for good
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
Actually, if you look at my original post (#1120), I am more concerned with the side-effects of bootleg pokemon game trades with real pokemon games. I traded about 80 pokemon from a bootleg Emerald (I was unaware of the bootleg until it deleted itself about two months ago) to my real Fire Red. Thanks for the help all the same!
If it were me, and only if it were me, I would go ahead and delete the data i have now and restart my game entirely, just to avoid the risk. This is a question barely anyone knows the answer to, so I'd be willing to avoid the risk before the possible deletion of my game occurs.
BUT ONLY IF IT WERE ME.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2011
If it were me, and only if it were me, I would go ahead and delete the data i have now and restart my game entirely, just to avoid the risk. This is a question barely anyone knows the answer to, so I'd be willing to avoid the risk before the possible deletion of my game occurs.
BUT ONLY IF IT WERE ME.
Think it's worth it to trade all the non-bootleggers over to another game and then see how long the game lasts? It might also turn out that nothing happens. I could study the phenomenon and see what happens. . .might be useful information to have. One never knows.

The Red Chain

I traded about 80 pokemon from a bootleg Emerald (I was unaware of the bootleg until it deleted itself about two months ago) to my real Fire Red. Thanks for the help all the same!
Are you positive it's a bootleg? Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald all have unstable internal batteries to the point where they may end up deleting your save file.
This is actually normal for these games, and doesn't necessarily mean it's a bootleg. It just means the battery is "dried out" and needs to be replaced.

I just want to be sure about this haha.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2011
Are you positive it's a bootleg? Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald all have unstable internal batteries to the point where they may end up deleting your save file.
This is actually normal for these games, and doesn't necessarily mean it's a bootleg. It just means the battery is "dried out" and needs to be replaced.

I just want to be sure about this haha.

When I turn it on, it states, "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage. The game can be played." Also, upon inspection, I noticed that the cartridge has a different number on the back (AGB-004, not AGB-002 like all my other Advance games), it was missing the Nintendo number that is inside of the cartridge (seen from the bottom), and the box and booklet were very poor in quality (box is flat with fuzzy print; booklet is thin and lacking any real details regarding the game). I wouldn't mind quite so much, but, as I said above, I have about 80 pokemon (hatched from eggs) from the bootleg. And, as if to add insult to injury, it deleted my Tyranitar (Fire Red), Cloyster (Fire Red), and Ampharos (Emerald trade anyway). I have also spent a not inconsiderable amount of time searching the internet for information on the subject.

mal'akh

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
When I turn it on, it states, "The save file has been erased due to corruption or damage. The game can be played." Also, upon inspection, I noticed that the cartridge has a different number on the back (AGB-004, not AGB-002 like all my other Advance games), it was missing the Nintendo number that is inside of the cartridge (seen from the bottom), and the box and booklet were very poor in quality (box is flat with fuzzy print; booklet is thin and lacking any real details regarding the game). I wouldn't mind quite so much, but, as I said above, I have about 80 pokemon (hatched from eggs) from the bootleg. And, as if to add insult to injury, it deleted my Tyranitar (Fire Red), Cloyster (Fire Red), and Ampharos (Emerald trade anyway). I have also spent a not inconsiderable amount of time searching the internet for information on the subject.
Best way to tell; What color is the catridge and title sticker?

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2011
Best way to tell; What color is the catridge and title sticker?
Interestingly enough, both are green. However, the cartridge is more in tune with Leaf Green green and the title sticker is not shiny or matching the styles of Ruby or Sapphire. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started researching the subject. Thanks for reminding me about it.

mal'akh

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
Interestingly enough, both are green. However, the cartridge is more in tune with Leaf Green green and the title sticker is not shiny or matching the styles of Ruby or Sapphire. It was one of the first things I noticed when I started researching the subject. Thanks for reminding me about it.
Then it's more likely a bootleg. Best to trade everything from it to somewhere else and get rid of it.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2011
Then it's more likely a bootleg. Best to trade everything from it to somewhere else and get rid of it.
Do mean trade from Emerald? Or Fire Red? If the former, too late, the game deleted all of it. If you mean Fire Red, then that is going to be a long series of trades. What a pain. However, if we return to my first query, would it be safe to keep the pokemon from the bootleg? If will be a pain in the neck to get another copy of Emerald (real one this time), but Fire Red. . .let's put it this way: When I started playing it, I had yet to grow out of the rather infantile belief that the beginner is all I need. I have since paid for that mistake. About a million times over. My team was actually going pretty well. I was training up Tyranitar, Cloyster, and the new Ampharos to face the E4 again when it went loco. ::sigh:: Oh well. Maybe, if the bootleggers don't destroy Fire Red, I could get another Mareep from Emerald. If it's safe.

mal'akh

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
Do mean trade from Emerald? Or Fire Red? If the former, too late, the game deleted all of it. If you mean Fire Red, then that is going to be a long series of trades. What a pain. However, if we return to my first query, would it be safe to keep the pokemon from the bootleg? If will be a pain in the neck to get another copy of Emerald (real one this time), but Fire Red. . .let's put it this way: When I started playing it, I had yet to grow out of the rather infantile belief that the beginner is all I need. I have since paid for that mistake. About a million times over. My team was actually going pretty well. I was training up Tyranitar, Cloyster, and the new Ampharos to face the E4 again when it went loco. ::sigh:: Oh well. Maybe, if the bootleggers don't destroy Fire Red, I could get another Mareep from Emerald. If it's safe.
I wouldn't trust it. I'd suggest just going to an online site such as GameStop to buy the real ones.

Years
  • Seen Aug 17, 2011
I wouldn't trust it. I'd suggest just going to an online site such as GameStop to buy the real ones.
Just researched it. Apparently, two of the GameStops where I live currently stock it. That is even better than buying online due to my being able to see what I am purchasing more clearly. What should I do about Fire Red? Transport all the pokemon and the valuable items away before seeing what the effect of bootleggers is?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
I started a new thread to ask this, but it was locked by a mod who told me to ask again here.

Last week while playing Sapphire, my party contracted the Pokerus! Astounded at my luck, I traded them over to Pokemon XD for safekeeping ( I known I could have just stored them in the PC, but I tend to take my Gen 3 games with me everywhere and I didn't want to risk dropping it and losing it while out of the house). I tried to pass it on to other Pokemon, but it wouldn't spread. After reading the Pokerus article on Bulbapedia, I found that it will only spread if the infected Pokemon are in R/S/E, with these games being the only ones with a clock feature that enables it to wear off after a certain period of time.

The question is, I have a copy of Emerald with a dead battery. Since the the death of the battery causes time based events to stop functioning, does this include the Pokerus, or is it an exception and will it still wear off despite the clock no longer functioning?

mal'akh

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jun 21, 2011
I started a new thread to ask this, but it was locked by a mod who told me to ask again here.

Last week while playing Sapphire, my party contracted the Pokerus! Astounded at my luck, I traded them over to Pokemon XD for safekeeping ( I known I could have just stored them in the PC, but I tend to take my Gen 3 games with me everywhere and I didn't want to risk dropping it and losing it while out of the house). I tried to pass it on to other Pokemon, but it wouldn't spread. After reading the Pokerus article on Bulbapedia, I found that it will only spread if the infected Pokemon are in R/S/E, with these games being the only ones with a clock feature that enables it to wear off after a certain period of time.

The question is, I have a copy of Emerald with a dead battery. Since the the death of the battery causes time based events to stop functioning, does this include the Pokerus, or is it an exception and will it still wear off despite the clock no longer functioning?
Pokerus is designed to be rid of after a certain time. If the clock is dead, and since Pokerus is ran by time, it will probably not be applied to your Pokemon. A friend of mine thought that her dead internal battery meant unlimited Pokerus, but then she noticed she wasn't getting a bonus from it. We figured it was BECAUSE her battery was dead.

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
Pokerus is designed to be rid of after a certain time. If the clock is dead, and since Pokerus is ran by time, it will probably not be applied to your Pokemon. A friend of mine thought that her dead internal battery meant unlimited Pokerus, but then she noticed she wasn't getting a bonus from it. We figured it was BECAUSE her battery was dead.

Strange....I traded my infected Pokemon to the game in question just to try and the Pokerus was spread just fine, dead battery and all....I'll check over the next couple of days and see if it wears off, but to be safe I will be keeping an infected Pokemon in my PC at all times.

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
alright I have a question. I have Sapphire the internal battery has died is it possible for me to still capture Latias or is that time based?

Years
  • Seen Mar 27, 2024
alright I have a question. I have Sapphire the internal battery has died is it possible for me to still capture Latias or is that time based?

Catching Latias is not dependent on the internal clock. As long as you have beaten the Elite Four, you should be able to run into her if you're lucky enough. Good luck!

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Strange....I traded my infected Pokemon to the game in question just to try and the Pokerus was spread just fine, dead battery and all....I'll check over the next couple of days and see if it wears off, but to be safe I will be keeping an infected Pokemon in my PC at all times.

Bulbapedia said:
In Generation III
The Pokérus operates in much the same way as in Generation II, though it can infect eggs too. Also, it can only be contracted or cured in Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald. In FireRed and LeafGreen, as well as Colosseum and Pokémon XD, since the time function is absent, a Pokémon with Pokérus will keep it indefinitely, until it is transferred to the Hoenn-based games.

With that being said, since FRLG doesn't use the time function, the Pokemon keeps it indefinitely. If an RSE cart has a dried up battery and can no longer use the time function, I would assume that the case would be the same. But this is just an assumption. I suggest testing it out a little, if at all possible.

LuVrDiSC

pokéGirL Power !
Years
is there anyway to better breed for characteristics? i have been trying to breed a Roselia with a Speed characteristic for days with no luck. for some reason most of them come out with "somewhat vain" character which is what the male has. im not sure what characteristics do to be honest, i have looked them up, if someone could explain them to me in plain english hehe i would be happy :) thanx

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Well, sounds like you're playing one of the DS games, so your best bet is to ask in either the DPPt Q&A thread or the HGSS help thread, depending on the game you're asking about. This section is for RSE/FRLG, and in these games, there were natures, but not characteristics.

Years
  • Seen Mar 20, 2011
what do i do to get in the desert in ruby? i havent played in so long...im in fallabor now training but im curious

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
Years
you have to beat Flannery after which your rival will give you the Go-Goggles which will allow you to go into the desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back