• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Roleplay Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
Okay, so the few-words personality thing just MIGHT work...

How do we feel about sandbox rp's on this forum? Are they a no-no? What if I gave an interesting setup and then let them go from there in any direction? >_>

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Okay, so the few-words personality thing just MIGHT work...

How do we feel about sandbox rp's on this forum? Are they a no-no? What if I gave an interesting setup and then let them go from there in any direction? >_>
Actually, we hate sandbox RPs with a flaming passion. Notable RPs that are hated (and thus, have the fewest RPers joined in them out of all the accepted IC Roleplays) are Pokemon Trainer Academy and Pokemon Fallout. We don't like these because we don't like freedom and well-constructed plots with lots of interesting characters. As such, PTA only has about...maybe 315 pages of OOC discussion. Disgusting.

lolnojkactuallytheyarequitewellrecievedandthosearesomeofthelargestactiveroleplays

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
>____> I may have to attempt my plan then <_____<
Go for it, but just know that Sandbox RPs require a lot of moderation and a lot of dedication due to their broadness, freedom, and length. As such, you should probably study others such as the ones listed above, Hyrule, Sword Art Online, and the like before taking on such an endeavor.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
You know, macho, I was just about to go on a rampage on you when you posted that. '______'

SANDBOX ROLEPLAYS ARE FLIPPING AWESOME MAN. They are especially awesome for newer roleplayers to test the waters of roleplay. Like PTA and SAO (I'm not sure if SAO is still alive..I haven't posted there in ages), you can provide a simple plot for everyone to follow through, with options for them to construct their character's development as well as invent their own stories (that's kind of what I'm doing in PTA right now).

It's amazing for me because I don't feel as rushed to get a post in quickly. Especially with my busy schedule.

As macho mentioned, those kinds of roleplays require extra GMing. At least two.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
Mind if I ask *what* is your idea? I mean, to be honest it just sounded so rushed. Usually roleplay ideas tend to be done a week or so afterwards. xD

Years
I've done it on another roleplay forum, so I've had it all ready for a while. I just didn't know whether or not it would be accepted on this forum. It's an original sandbox RP where you choose characters from a large family. >_>

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jan 5, 2014
hey guys what would you think about a pokemon zombie rp? Where like a virus from the moon or something infected alot of people except the rpers and they have to use thier pokemon to kill all the zombies and overall survive?

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
I've done it on another roleplay forum, so I've had it all ready for a while. I just didn't know whether or not it would be accepted on this forum. It's an original sandbox RP where you choose characters from a large family. >_>

Hmm, sounds rather interesting. Hopefully when it gets accepted I can give it a look. Like I said earlier, sandbox roleplays are ttly awesome yo.

hey guys what would you think about a pokemon zombie rp? Where like a virus from the moon or something infected alot of people except the rpers and they have to use thier pokemon to kill all the zombies and overall survive?

So like, their only weapon is to use their Pokemon to survive? Honestly, I thought of that concept before but wasn't sure if that would work. I would love to see this in action, though! Would it be Pokemon zombies or Pokemon + human zombies?

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
@TornZero: Several times. IMO, there are better ways to achieve horror. Cannibals. Zombies, but not stupid as pokeballs and capable of taking on regular people 1 on 1.

A paranormal horror based on ghosts and other sots of stuff would be kinda cool, I guess. It's hard to do horror though because as humans we're apex predators of the most extreme variety, which means we tend to have to pull stuff out of our ears and results in the horror feeling forced.

Playing as animals / pokemon / generic fantasy/sci-fi races doesn't remotely fix the problem either, because we as RPers tend to play them as thinking and acting like humans. (Which is tbh one of my pet peeves, foreign races that are basically only inhuman visually. It's like the ultimate cliche.)

My advice to any prospective horror GMs would be to avoid resorting to outnumbering the players with hilariously stupid enemies. (Like, y'know, classic zombies.) The reason for this is that they cease to be scary very quickly after you sit there and mow a dozen down with your infinitely superior intelligence, survival skills, etcetera. A proper horror villain does not need to outnumber you, or if it does it becomes virtually impossible to win. Stupid enemies that swarm you is like, the ultimate horror cliche.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
With the new RP Library up and kicking, I had a new idea about another stickied thread that may be of some use to other members!

Something I thought of called the Vault, which members could post floating roleplay ideas which they thought maybe were good ideas but maybe couldn't solidify a plot and think recycling them to another user might be of better use to it. Members could also post (as some like to keep their RPs/characters pretty) images they find which could be useful to other members, like sceneries or maybe RP characters. It could be a thread where if a member is losing inspiration, could access it to find new material to use to help give themselves a kick start!

other stuff that could be posted might be CSS layouts for SUs or OPs but that might be pushing it.

I only just thought of this because i was browsing tumblr and found some very, very awesome pictures which one could use (click for said pictures) in a journey roleplay or any kind of roleplay that has a post which has a post to set the setting before letting members rush off into it.

so, do you think it would be of any use to you personally or perhaps a waste of a thread?

Khawill

<3
Years
I think it could work, specificly the CSS thing. I also like the idea of dropping RP ideas somewhere instead of just saying "forget it" because I can't GM well

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
Years
YES, SKY! Roleplay Vault thread is a fantastic idea! I mean, it's a perfect thread to discuss roleplay ideas and work them out instead of just trying to get feedback on this thread and then post it afterwards. In my opinion, we post ideas here and it tends to clog the thread when we're actually discussing roleplay in general (i.e. a general topic of roleplay is introduced and it gets pushed away by an idea).

I also love the fact that it can work as a resource, too! Like, we can post resource sites for Pokemon sprites, stats, sceneries for settings, an image searching site to find pictures similar to your RP characters, etc.

tldr: yes go for it sky ily <3

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 2, 2024
Go for it, but just know that Sandbox RPs require a lot of moderation and a lot of dedication due to their broadness, freedom, and length. As such, you should probably study others such as the ones listed above, Hyrule, Sword Art Online, and the like before taking on such an endeavor.
Do they really require more moderation than other RPs? O.o How come? I'd say Monster Art Online is pretty sandboxy. Even though there is a direction to move in, anyone can do what they like to do while playing as a pokémon trainer.

With the new RP Library up and kicking, I had a new idea about another stickied thread that may be of some use to other members!

Something I thought of called the Vault, which members could post floating roleplay ideas which they thought maybe were good ideas but maybe couldn't solidify a plot and think recycling them to another user might be of better use to it. Members could also post (as some like to keep their RPs/characters pretty) images they find which could be useful to other members, like sceneries or maybe RP characters. It could be a thread where if a member is losing inspiration, could access it to find new material to use to help give themselves a kick start!

other stuff that could be posted might be CSS layouts for SUs or OPs but that might be pushing it.

I only just thought of this because i was browsing tumblr and found some very, very awesome pictures which one could use (click for said pictures) in a journey roleplay or any kind of roleplay that has a post which has a post to set the setting before letting members rush off into it.

so, do you think it would be of any use to you personally or perhaps a waste of a thread?
I guess it could be interesting but we've seen plot discussion threads and such before and they didn't really get attention. This thread covers too much ( =it all). But I guess if you really defined what that thread would be used for as opposed to this one, it might be a cool thing.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years

The best way for this to be actually helpful is for you to link to EVERY SINGLE POST and categorize it under Ideas/Resources/CSS (and other labels, if you have any) so that people can actually access them all without searching every page. (This really only becomes a problem after dozens of pages have accumulated, but if you start organizing from the beginning it makes it so much easier.) It would also be nice to be able to mark each RP idea, meaning if someone dumped it and then someone else decided to take it, you can mark it just for the sake of saying "Oh yeah, somebody has attempted this but you're still welcome to try if you want."

BUT I would really like a place to dump my hundreds of RP ideas that I never get to where they can still be accessed by anyone. It would be nice.
I'd be willing to take care of it if we get into such levels of organization! I think I could handle it. I'm only limited in access on the weekends, and it shouldn't take too long to review those posts after the weekend.

I've yet to try a sandbox roleplay.
I think I should. ._.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
BUT I would really like a place to dump my hundreds of RP ideas that I never get to where they can still be accessed by anyone. It would be nice.
I'd be willing to take care of it if we get into such levels of organization! I think I could handle it. I'm only limited in access on the weekends, and it shouldn't take too long to review those posts after the weekend.
Well, if it gets enough attention, you are welcome to take the responsibility of organising it, though I had no real plans of doing that. If one fills out a small template when posting content, it would be easy enough to browse through it all without it getting too cluttered. A first post with a link to every single post would be VERY cluttered. I'd personally actually prefer a clutter in the thread itself. It's like a table at a clothes shop where they shove all the stuff on sale on it and you have to pick through it all to find the good stuff. Or a thread you browse through on a rainy day when you feel a little writer's blocked.

Though, if you want to keep it as a place where you take and give, you could try a 'leave a penny, take a penny' approach, where you can only take ideas and claim if you contribute to the thread, though there is no real way of keeping track of that legitimately.

So, I kinda support a 'fill a small template when posting and thats really it' way. It's very easily manageable.

Satan.EXE

King of the Hell
Years
  • Age 29
  • C:\
  • Seen Jun 12, 2015
Well, if it gets enough attention, you are welcome to take the responsibility of organising it, though I had no real plans of doing that. If one fills out a small template when posting content, it would be easy enough to browse through it all without it getting too cluttered. A first post with a link to every single post would be VERY cluttered. I'd personally actually prefer a clutter in the thread itself. It's like a table at a clothes shop where they shove all the stuff on sale on it and you have to pick through it all to find the good stuff. Or a thread you browse through on a rainy day when you feel a little writer's blocked.

Though, if you want to keep it as a place where you take and give, you could try a 'leave a penny, take a penny' approach, where you can only take ideas and claim if you contribute to the thread, though there is no real way of keeping track of that legitimately.

So, I kinda support a 'fill a small template when posting and thats really it' way. It's very easily manageable.

I'd support this idea. I think it'd be recommended that the person who borrows an idea includes credit to the creator, but that is also untrackable.

Here is my suggestion for the vault: word tags.

Part of posting an idea (part of the template) should include certain dividers via tagging with certain words.

For example, the first set could be what the idea is based on, with tags like "Pokemon", "Legend of Zelda", "Fullmetal Alchemist", "Mass Effect", or "Original". In some cases (such as crossovers) multiple tags could be used.

Secondary tags could be theme, such as: "Mystery Dungeon", "Journey", "Zombie", "School", "Horror", "Sandbox", et cetera.

With these tags, the user could search through the thread via the 'Search this Thread' tool and find what they're looking for with certain tags.

That means no liking every post to page one; let users make handy work of the tools issued by the forum itself!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back