• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
I desperately need help. I suck at inserting new trainer sprites. For some reason, my method only works sometimes.
1.Well first I make the sprite in paint.
2.use Irfanview to decrease it's color depth.
3.save it as a PNG
4. make sure background color is first on pallete
5. use Free Space Finder to find a space that is as big as the picture in bytes
6. I use UNLZ-GBA to import the sprite, then write to rom.
7 I make sure to check export pallete, export sprite, and fix pointers
8. I use RSBall to repoint a trainer sprite to my new sprite.
9. I use advanced Trainer to change which sprite the trainer uses.

What am I doing wrong?

There are 2 errors I can think of as far as that goes. First, if you automatically fix the pointers in UnLZ, that should have repointed it just fine without the need to use RSBall. Second, when you export the palette in UnLZ, (I actually believe this only applies to Ruby/Sapphire) make sure you have the correct palette for the trainer selected (you can use A-Trainer to verify this; find the palette that makes it look like the sprite you see in A-Trainer). Otherwise, it will replace whatever palette you have selected at the moment, and the actual sprite in the game will have a different palette.

Years
  • Seen Sep 9, 2014

As Quilava's Master already noted:
Code:
'---------------
#org 0x4DE3E9
msgbox 0x[B]8[/B]9DE8R9 MSG_KEEPOPEN '"OAK: I'm sorry [player], but..."
release
end

'-------
'Strings
'-------
#org 0x9DE8R9
= OAK: I'm sorry [player], but\nthose Pokémon were taken by\ppeople who were on time.\nCome here.
The message offset is at 0x89DE8R9. Also, a space after the MSG_KEEPOPEN.
If the script is a compiled script, decompile it, fix the mistakes and compile.
I fixed and compiled. It still won't work.
"Type mismatch on line..."
What's a type mismatch?

I'm guessing the "8" is for the dialogue?

EDIT
What is the item number for the Pokédex? I'm trying to remove the OAK'S PARCEL event but I can't find the number in the script.

Last edited:

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I fixed and compiled. It still won't work.
"Type mismatch on line..."
What's a type mismatch?

I'm guessing the "8" is for the dialogue?

EDIT
What is the item number for the Pokédex? I'm trying to remove the OAK'S PARCEL event but I can't find the number in the script.

Type mimatch means you're telling the script to go somewhere that isn't there. For example if you put
call @done
but there isn't a @done in your script you'll get a type mismatch error. Also why is there an "R" in your offset? That shouldn't be there. Hex reads from 0-F.

The pokedex isn't an item. It's a flag. just put setflag 0x829 in your script.

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2018
I have been searching for a while now, can somebody help me find an encounter music list. Can somebody list all the encounter themes. For use in advanced trainer? I am using Fire Red.

Quilava's Master

Shattered Dreams '13
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2023
I have been searching for a while now, can somebody help me find an encounter music list. Can somebody list all the encounter themes. For use in advanced trainer? I am using Fire Red.
Fire Red has three encounter themes.
0 - Male encounter
1 - Female Encounter
3 - Unknown Encounter
Everything else is a duplicate of one of these three.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
I changed the map dimensions for Palette town in FR. When I enter the map from the house at the beginning of the game, the screen just goes black and the music stops. I changed the map dimensions back to normal and everything works fine again. Why is this happening, and can it be fixed?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2011
is there a way to change the moves a pokemon event has other then changing the moves that pokemon learns

i wanted to make a ditto pokemon event where there is only one of him and its the only one that will have metronome

BLAZEQUAZA

ONE FIERY BEAST
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2016
Two questions here:

Firstly, if a person steps on a script that is on, say, a wave current in advance map (the ones that push you around), would the script overpower the tile, or would the tile still move the character?

Secondly, in advance map, what do you use to make it so the picture of the temple does not appear when you enter dilford chamber (or one of the others)? It thought it would be the SHOW NAME bar, but that did nothing

Thanks for your help
~Blaze

Darthatron

巨大なトロール。
Years
I changed the map dimensions for Palette town in FR. When I enter the map from the house at the beginning of the game, the screen just goes black and the music stops. I changed the map dimensions back to normal and everything works fine again. Why is this happening, and can it be fixed?

Make sure the warp is still on the door.

metapod23

Hardened Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2016
You can do that in VBA with "Tools > Disassembler" or in VBA-SDL-H with the statement "dt ADDRESS" (or "da" if you're disassembling ARM routines).

Thanks, I was trying to see what the routine looked like when you use an evolutionary stone, but I think I realize now why no one has been able to figure out how they work, since the routine the item points to apparently does nothing ...

Years
  • Seen Jul 9, 2012
Is it possible to switch which animation a move uses (Gen III)? Searching found only a research thread on editing the animations themselves, and MoveEdit doesn't do it. I assume it's just a pointer somewhere.

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Is there any way to extend the Pokedex beyond 386 entries in Fire Red? Also, is there any way to add more new Pokemon without deleting any old Pokemon past just changing all the ? marks behind Celebi? Im planning on adding 100 or so new Pokemon to my hack, and id rather not have to get rid of any Pokemon if I dont have to, so if this is possible thatd be amazing

deoxys121

White Kyurem Cometh
Years
Is there any way to extend the Pokedex beyond 386 entries in Fire Red? Also, is there any way to add more new Pokemon without deleting any old Pokemon past just changing all the ? marks behind Celebi? Im planning on adding 100 or so new Pokemon to my hack, and id rather not have to get rid of any Pokemon if I dont have to, so if this is possible thatd be amazing

No. There is no way of doing so beyond replacing the ????? Pokemon, or at least not that I know of. I added all 156 Unova Pokemon to my hack, and they all replaced existing Pokemon.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
Darthatron said:
Make sure the warp is still on the door.

Yes, the warp is still on the door. Whatever the problem is, it seems to have to do with the size of the map. Any other solutions to try?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
No. There is no way of doing so beyond replacing the ????? Pokemon, or at least not that I know of. I added all 156 Unova Pokemon to my hack, and they all replaced existing Pokemon.

all right... looks like im gonna replace the hoenn pokemon then for my hack

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
What game are you hacking? I might be able to help you with a few things involving adding the Pokemon. I can even help you edit the cries.

Im hacking Fire Red, and right now my project is codenamed Pokemon Cobalt. That'll probably change once my legendaries are designed so that the name fits the mascot legendary. Anyway, I havent posted anything concerning my hack on this site yet except in the team recruitment page, and no one ever replied. The team ive assembled over on the Serebii forums and I are still in the process of designing the new Pokemon for this hack, so I dont need help yet in inserting them into the game. When that time comes, Ill gladly take any help youre willing to give me

Actually, there is a way:
(wont even let me post the url in a quote :/

Right now, HEX editing is like a foreign language to me. I dont understand it at all, and the only time Ive used it so far was through a tut for hacking the world map (which actually turned out pretty nice, surprisingly). Its awesome that people are working on figuring out how to extend the pokedex and ?add more pokemon past the "?" marks?. if they have it figured out, when the time comes for me to implement it, ill need some help with it, if anyone is interested.

shinyabsol1

Pokemon DarkJasper!?
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2022
shinyabsol1 said:

Bumping my question to the next page. With a little more testing I have determined that my game only freezes when I change the height of my map. And ONLY on the palette town map. Otherwise, I can change the map dimensions without issue.

Does anyone else have this problem with their FR, or is this glitch that cannot be fixed?

Years
  • Seen Apr 13, 2014
Bumping my question to the next page. With a little more testing I have determined that my game only freezes when I change the height of my map. And ONLY on the palette town map. Otherwise, I can change the map dimensions without issue.

Does anyone else have this problem with their FR, or is this glitch that cannot be fixed?

I dont remember ever having that problem on my rom when i messed with pallet town. maybe your rom is glitched?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back