• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Protectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

userpr

Quilava Trainer
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Aug 11, 2014
It's a shame that your other projects died before they were finished. I wish you the best of luck with this one as it seems very cool. The screens are amazing as should be expected from your third game. But to me the PNX sound sort of like the pokemon version of hippies.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Hahahaha, yeah, the PNX are like that. That was my point of making them, I didn't want all the teams feeling the same. I didn't want all the good teams out to save the world, all the evil teams to stop it. I want each one to have a reason for why they are involved in the storyline and I want the player to be able to play the game 6 times, each time picking a different team, and getting a different experience.

Anyways.....

Small update for you all. Since monday, I've had the whole week off and free. I am doing alot of work on my game.
As i said in the last update, I am currently linking the maps together.
Thanks to a plan I made before I began the project, I know how the maps are all linked with the storyline, and which towns the player will be going to in order. This has made it alot easier for me to fly through it.

I'm trying also to finish off all the basic things that need to be in the game on the maps. When I say basic things, it is the coding for jumping a ledge, and just making sure that code is on all of the ledges in the map or maps. Making the signs show when you press the ENTER key on them.
These things I say are basic, but most fan game developers, myself included, leave out these things, and these things add to the game feeling more rounded and more like an offical game.

Towns are still NOT POPULATED yet.....
The reason for this I want to code all of the stuff mentioned above (the "basic things" ) first - then the storyline and the NPCs will be last to go in.
So In the screenshot I'm about to show you, it may look a little bit bare, but don't worry, I will be fixing that after everythng for the map is done.....
readingsigninhometownhj4.png

It also shows the style of the sign message box, were it shows a small screenshot of the town too .

I'd love to hear what you think....
And remember, I'm looking for staff to help me :).
Thanks.

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
Hey, I've got a little proposition for ya...

Well, I was making a game called Pokemon Dark, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to get it done with everything goin on in my life, so, how about this...

We are still going to make the dex, but instead of 151, there are 251 pokemon, we have about 75-100 concepts in already, and official art is being done by the illustrious ShiShiKo (I'm sure you've heard of her, she is amazing!!) I'm offering you to use our dex in your game, so pretty much, we'll provide the custom pokemon with official artwork, and possibly sprites (we have one spriter atm, Absol Attacker).

That's all there is to it, just need a yes, or a no, it's all you're choice on if you wanna take the dex :)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
I got a nice update for you all.
And yes, a nice bunch of screenshots.

The free week I had is almost up, and all the work I've done on the game has been put in .PNG form lol. In other words, I took screenshots of some of the stuff I did.
You can read some earlier posts I made about what I was working on for the week, but let me tell you, and then show you the screenshots.

First- something that doesn't have a screenshot in this post, I put in the coding for switching pokemon in battle. Thats big news, since it was one of the "hard" things about my CBS. Well, its done and fully working and the way I have coded it, it will work no matter how many more pokemon I add to the battle system.

Second, I have finished mapping most of the BIG citys in my game. YAY.
I said in the earlier post, I was mapping the region out and well, I'm almost complete mapping the outdoor stuff of the entire region!
The maps are not populated yet, so they will look empty (in terms of NPCs) in the screenshots, but bare with me.

Finally, I re-done the intro. The prof. Oak speech has been "re-scripted" slighty from the first way I coded it.

Well here are the screenshots:
introboytq9.png
introgirlui2.png

outsidecavefs9.png
routeot8.png

lamoscityxl8.png
vanmircitymu1.png

There we go. 2 screenshots of the intro.
2 of a route and cave.
And 2 in two different Citys.

Pleae tell me what you think.
Thanks.

Red Rain

Red Rain is coming down...
Years
The new paths and floors are amazing. Nutleaf is a nice name too. This looks great, I wish you luck.

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Hey everyone. Finally, I did it. The ground work is done for the bag system.... YAY.
The coding for displaying items- item backgrounds, the number of items and the coding for moving around in the bag are finally finished.
bagscreenshotmr0.png

It's funny, this was the first feature I started work on, and I am only getting the chance to show it nearly a month after I first posted about the game.
I'm just happy with the code I put it. Now, when I am adding in an item, its just a matter of copying and pasting, and changing the variable. I still have to put in what happens when you use the items, but that should be rather easy.
What took me song long with it was showing every item in every slot, and not just having slot one, just for, well potions- then have slot 2 just showing paralyze heal. I needed to put in code for, if the first slot in the bag was used, potion would be displayed in the next, and so on.

Anyways, I knew I would finish the groundwork for that feature soon, and I'm glad I did it so early in the development of the game :).
What do you think?

Edit: Also, just noticed when I posted that screenshot, "20%" of healing of MAX HP was an earlier idea of how to use the potions in the game, that has since changed, and its the normal 20 HP healing, thats just an old background in that screenshot, it now says "20 HP of Pokemon HP." Not "%"

Last edited:

RMXPUser462

Just call me Ryan
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Dec 28, 2012
I really like the way the bag is coming along!! Very nice!! :)

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
Small update this time, but funny enough, its still to do with the item system.

quickitemselectinbattlele8.png

I just finished coding the items for use in the battle system. In a system I was dubbing as the "Quick Item System."
Basically, its a grid style menu. Each grid is taken up with the items most used for battle.
The top row in the grid is for potions and so on.
The Middle row is "other" - stuff like antidote, paralyze heal and so on.
And the bottom row is for pokeballs.

Years
I really like the battle system, bag and item system and i enjoy your mapping.
Keep the good work.
Can't wait for new updates.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
Years
looks awesome. you mention there being a new battle system, but i see it's just an adjustment in terms of the interface. but still, do you plan on implementing any of the new moves into the game?

NeoBlade

Child of Origon
Years
*off topic* Neo-Dragon, how can you use all these graphics, cause rm2k3 only uses a 256 color palette?
*on topic* Really nice, loving the custom graphics although it's to bad you dropped your other project...
keep up the good work :D, really looking forward for even a walk demo or something XD

Neo-Dragon

Game Developer
Years
@ NeoBlade: I use MS Paint and save the file in full color 24-bit .bmp file. I then use Irfan View to "decrease color depth" to 256 colors..... you lose NO color. So its awesome. I suggest that if your using RM2k3- use IrfanView for your pics .

And, second. what the hell.
I taught I posted an update on the lastest edition of the main menu. I guess not.
I have added a new feature called the "Quick Pokemon Bar."
This system has been bedded into the main menu. I wanted a way for the player to quick interact with their pokemon.
So, I have put the pokemon selection bar (the same style thats used in the battle system) - into the main menu.....
So with a quick press of the down arrow (if you have options highlighted) or up arrow (if you have exit highlighted) - will take you onto the Quick Pokemon Menu.

Using left and right arrow keys, you can select which pokemon (see screenshot 1) and by pressing enter, you'll bring up a sub menu (see screenshot 2).
In the sub menu, you have:
Ability: If a pokemon knows a HM, select ability and the game will automatically know which HM you want to use. EG. standing in front of a bush will use CUT (that is if the pokemon knows cut).
Summary: Will bring up a summary of the pokemon you have highlighted.
Switch: Re-arrange your pokemon.
Exit: Exits the sub menu and returns to the menu.

Here are the 2 screenshots:
quickpokemonmenu1nr9.png
quickpokemonmenu2om0.png

What do you think?

Edit: Although, it should be assumed, that team is my "test" team. I just set the variables of each pokemon slot to the starters and their evos..... It's easier since its just setting them between 1-9 lol.

Years
All I can say is awesome. Your custom systems look great, and your mapping is flawless.

By the way, I can probably make you some custom tiles if you want (I saw you wanted people to submit custom resources). I also have some premade ones, too. Just check Calis Projects for them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back