• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mega evolution is unoriginal

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
You know the idea of mega evolution for Pokémon is actually unoriginal.

Why because digimon already came up with the idea of it aka digivolution.

I'm surprised Pokémon managed to steal this idea from digimon.

It's so unoriginal.

I bet game freak purposely stole the idea from the digimon company

Years
I know that was one of the complaints when mega evolutions were revealed back in 2013, but I never had any issue with it. It's probably inspired by it, yeah, but a majority of popular franchises borrow ideas from others (Digimon included), so I think it was just a fun way to give new designs to some older Pokemon, while not making any permanent changes to the evolutionary lines.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Yeah I was thinking this too. But really, I think it's not only from Digimon, it's an anime trope or something.

Pokedigifan1178

Years
I know that was one of the complaints when mega evolutions were revealed back in 2013, but I never had any issue with it. It's probably inspired by it, yeah, but a majority of popular franchises borrow ideas from others (Digimon included), so I think it was just a fun way to give new designs to some older Pokemon, while not making any permanent changes to the evolutionary lines.

Your "burrowing" ideas.

I feel like they took it without permission from the company

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
a lot of things can look unoriginal or stolen if you look at it the right (or wrong?) way

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
You know the idea of mega evolution for Pokémon is actually unoriginal.

Why because digimon already came up with the idea of it aka digivolution.

I'm surprised Pokémon managed to steal this idea from digimon.

Dude, it seems you're a digimon/pokemon fan, like i am a DB/Pokemon fan

Well Digimon stole from pokemon the "digital monster companion" theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgpkj0Z9Tkg so i'm not suprised Game freak payed them back

Last edited:

Pokedigifan1178

Years
Dude, it seems you're a digimon/pokemon fan, like i am a DB/Pokemon fan

Well Digimon stole from pokemon the "digital monster companion" theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgpkj0Z9Tkg so i'm not suprised Game freak payed them back

How many times do I have to tell you that digimon did not steal anything from Pokémon.

And even if they did. Pokémon stole more ideas from them.

Are you saying all this because you don't want people to get mad at you for saying positive things about digimon because I remember you saying something about that

BH

Canine pokemon fan
Years
How many times do I have to tell you that digimon did not steal anything from Pokémon.

Are you saying all this because you don't want people to get mad at you for saying positive things about digimon because I remember you saying something about that

1.Well, Pokemon WAS first :P
2.Well i like Digimon too, but Pokemon better

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Mega evolution is not an inherently "digimon" thing though. It's just a different varient or method on evolution, which is what Pokemon has been doing since gen 1. Top of my head:

Gen 2: evolution based on new items, happiness, time of day
Gen 3: Nincada evolves into two Pokemon, Feebas evolves from being beautiful enouth
Gen 4: Evolution based on location of where it happens (e.g. Burmy). Also, forms e.g. Rotom, Shaymin gain new "evolutions" which can include a stat boost and type change, via items
Gen 5: Playing on forms, you have the 'fusion' of Pokemon in B2W2 (Kyurem and pals)

And gen 6: evolution that happens temporarily during a battle at the cost of the item slot.

Back