• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachukid

Conquest needs a sequel
Years
Update 3: - Steel/Platinum -

Been a while. Sorry :(

-Made my way through to the Ranch town (its what I like to call it :3)
-Walked through the grass and found a random Scyther
-Killed it
-Thought "Holey rusted metal, Batman," (- Robin) "Scyther evolves into a steel type!"
-Searched for one, failed and gave up
-Continued on my journey
-Arrived in Vielstone and gambled, gambled, gambled trying to get Explosion (Highest streak was 9 Waaaaaaaa :/)
-Gave up and instead leveled up my mon's, Maylene was gonna be tough
-Crank/Shift a couple levels later I went into her gym....
-......and kicked her kung fu butt into next saturday morning cartoons!
-Rescued Dawn's Pokedex and obtained Fly
-Flew all over the place planting and obtaining different Berry's
-Watched Youtube videos :P

Steel/Empoleon Lvl 38
-Metal Claw
-Aqua Jet
-Brine
-Peck

Iron/Bronzong Lvl 38
-Gyro Ball
-Hypnosis
-Confuse Ray
-Extrasensory

Cobalt/Probopass Lvl 38
-Rock Slide
-Thunder Wave
-Shock Wave
-Stealth Rock

Also I don't think I've listed my HM slaves so I present to you:
HM Dude 1 (bidoof)
-Rock Smash
-Cut

HM Dude 2 (Staravia)
-Defog
-Fly

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
Update for Final Ultimate Monotype Challenge (Water).

Update #2 on Emerald.
  • Made it to Rustboro and headed straight for the gym.
  • Lucy evolved into Lombre while fighting the trainers (forgot screenshot though).
  • Then I faced off against Roxanne, who went down to Torrent.

ultwaterroxanne.png

• Then I headed up north and fought the trainers on the way to the tunnel, and Torrent evolved into Marshtomp.

ultwatermarshtomp.png

• Saved Peeko and was taken to the Devon Corp Prez, who gave me a Pokenav with Match Call.
  • Battled May and won easily with Lucy.

ultwatermay1.png

• Caught a ride to Dewford, where I delivered Steven his letter in Granite Cave.
  • Then I took on the gym. The trainers were all wimps, but Brawly was a bit more difficult. I eventually pulled it out with Torrent doing most of the work and Lucy finishing it off.

ultwaterbrawly.png

• Got a ride to Slateport and beat all the trainers on the beach and the shack.
  • Delivered the Devon Goods to Capt. Stern, and I saved on Route 110.
Team Devin:
Spr_3e_271.gif

Lucy the Bashful Lombre, ♀ - L21 @ Miracle Seed
Ability: Swift Swim
Moves: Bullet Seed, Astonish, Nature Power, Fake Out
Spr_3e_259.gif

Torrent the Mild Marshtomp, ♂ - L21 @ Soft Sand
Ability: Torrent
Moves: Water Gun, Tackle, Mud Shot, Bide

HM Slaves:
Spr_3e_263.gif

Zigzagoon - Cut

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
Years
Update #8 on my Fire-type UMC.

-After beating Jasmine I trained my team and went to Pokedome or whatever to get 2500 points for a firestone.
-Went to Lake of Rage and caught Gyarados.
-Defeated the Team Rocket Hideout.
-Defeated 7th gym leader his Dewgong was a pain in the ass..

-Went to the Radio tower and kicked out team rocket's ass and got Rainbow wing.

My team: Growlithe Lv 41.
Typhlosion Lv 42.

Years
  • Seen Mar 6, 2023
Currently in the midst of Bug on my White game. Haven't even played through the whole storyline yet, so this shall be interesting.
Team as of right now is level 24 Whirlpede and 24 evolution of Sewaddle that I can't remember. I'm on the third gym. I don't know the names of any of these pokemon or towns :(

VelocityQ

Back from the dead!
Years
MAJOR SECOND UPDATE FOR HG ELECTRIC CHALLENGE

Alright, I haven't been posting in awhile. And I'm sorry for that....Mostly....
Here's the update!
Saved the Slowpokes! Yay! :D
079.png
"So Zetta Slow" -Sho Minimimoto
Got into the gym. Lumino evolved! Double yayz!
180.png

Beat Bugsy. Took 2 tries though. D:<
Got to Goldenrod City.
Trained Donna a little bit more. She evolved! Triple yayz!
025.png

Beat Whitney after a couple of annoying tries. Stupid Miltank....
Lumino evolved, again! Quadruple yayz!
181.png

Beat Morty with ease. Thanks to both Lumino and Donna.
Got Surf. Saw a Team Rocket Grunt screwing around, AND, I got to see him dance! :D Looks like he's gonna go back to the lowest grunt position.
Took awhile trying to get a Pokemon that could learn Surf. Decided that I would trade over Toto II.
Got to Chainwood City. Got Amphy's medicine.
Beat Chuck. Got Fly from his wife. Bet he's not gonna be happy about that.
Gave Amphy's medicine to Jasmine. Amphy's better than ever! :D
Beat Jasmine! Steelix was a pain, though
Evolved Donna! Quintuple yayz!
026.png

Got to Mahogany Town. Got the red Gyarados as a slave! At least it's shiny!
Helped Lance with the Rocket Hideout! On the way, I caught Donathon
100.png
, and Johnathon
101.png
Trained Donathon and Johnathon. Donathon evolved, Sextuple yayz!
101.png

Right now, I'm at Pryce's gym. I forgot to mention that I caught Circuter, the Magnemite
081.png
, and made that one Spearow you get from the guy a Fly slave. And, I evolved Circuter! (I don't know what comes after Sextuple)
082.png

I predict my final team to be:
026.png

Donna
Thunderbolt
Return
Double Team
Volt Tackle

181.png

Lumino
Signal Beam
Discharge
ThunderPunch
Flash

082.png

Circuter
Discharge
Zap Cannon
Lock-On
Magnet Bomb

101.png

Donathon
Rollout
Charge Beam
Swift
Magnet Rise

101.png

Johnathon
Rollout
Charge Beam
Swift
Light Screen

466.png

Shock Dr.
Thunderbolt
Discharge
Swift
Light Screen

Sorry, I forgot to mention Shock Dr. He's an Electivire I hatched at the Lighthouse. (Well, obviously, he hatched as an Elekid) And that Donathon and Johnathon are brothers. Donathon's the older one.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
I'm currently grinding my team for the E4 in Sapphire (UMC Poison) and I wanted to know what levels you guys suggest for the final grind before I take them on.

Tetrid III (Tentacruel)
Surf, Ice Beam, Giga Drain, Barrier

Daclus II (Crobat)
Bite, Wing Attack, Fly, Confuse Ray

Mito III (Muk)
Sludge, Brick Break, Secret Power, Screech

Etzik (Seviper)
Flamethrower, Crunch, Earthquake, Poison Tail

Wadrus (Vileplume)
Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Moonlight, Sludge Bomb

...So, apparently Sludge Bomb doesn't show up for Muk until Level 47 in this Gen, but in Gen V it comes before they evolve. Well, that's obnoxious. Other than that, I think the movesets are complete, other than maybe Shadow Ball for Crobat (Yay pre-physical-special split!)

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
Years
I'm currently grinding my team for the E4 in Sapphire (UMC Poison) and I wanted to know what levels you guys suggest for the final grind before I take them on.

Tetrid III (Tentacruel)

Daclus II (Crobat)

Mito III (Muk)

Etzik (Seviper)

Wadrus (Vileplume)

...So, apparently Sludge Bomb doesn't show up for Muk until Level 47 in this Gen, but in Gen V it comes before they evolve. Well, that's obnoxious. Other than that, I think the movesets are complete, other than maybe Shadow Ball for Crobat (Yay pre-physical-special split!)
Well with a team of six, L55ish should be ok, especially since Steven is gonna be difficult (for Metagross, try a Sunny Day/Flamethrower combo).
Also, I would teach Vileplume Stun Spore or even Aromatherapy (not sure why you deleted Sleep Powder, that's the ideal move there) instead of Moonlight, the healing items are better for healing. Also teach Muk Return instead of Secret Power.

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
Years

Tetrid III (Tentacruel)

Daclus II (Crobat)

Mito III (Muk)

Etzik (Seviper)

Wadrus (Vileplume)

I too am grinding for the Elite 4 in Hoenn for my bugs, I got to victory road with everyone at 41 and have since grinded everyone to 46. Now heading through Victory Road and plan to grind everyone to 53-4 depending on my rare candies. The only trouble will be Steven, why dont I own emerald, Wallace would be so much easier. :(

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
Years
Johto Flying UMC Update #1 Sky High Fight!

I'm back, and in Johto! Let's see what you've got HeartGold! And..... Oak goes senile, once again. He obviously knows my name is not Link by now, so I might as well tell him the truth... My names Broseph. And yes, I'm a male. I shrink, wake, pick my useless starter (totodile), rush speedily through the first part of the game, and finally get some poke balls. I catch a Pidgey I name Navix, after the Navi of olde, and I train and fight till I reach a dark cave. I go in, and come out with Zoob, my Zubat. We train in the Sprout Tower, win lots of battles, beat my rival who I named TheDude, and took on Falkner. I barely won. I got confusion-lucky. I released Navix since I was not feeling it, hatched Togepi who I named Toga, and received a Lvl. 1 Hoot-Hoot in a trade since I never play my DS at night.

My Team:

Zoob the Zubat, Lvl. 13
Toga the Togepi, Lvl. 1
GiveAHoot the Hoot-Hoot, Lvl. 1

With one badge, three pokemon, and many wins under my belt, I think that's a pretty good start.

warman13x

Shocking Ace Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
I'd like to do an electric ultimate monotype please! I'll try to update frequently, but no promises. This is because my senior year just started, and I've been having quite a bit of homework. I'll play: Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, and Black.

Years
  • Seen Oct 1, 2016
Well, I attempted to go through the E4 with my team at Level 43 (moveset changes were Mito III now knowing Return over Secret Power and Daclus II knowing Shadow Ball over Bite) and managed to actually make it to Steven. I beat his Skarmory, Claydol, and Aggron each at least once (I tried three times) but his Metagross shut me down. I'm going to grind the gang up to Level 50 at some point and try again later.

warman13x

Shocking Ace Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
Game started.
Got mah Pika.
Lost to Gary. Both times. Stupid Eevee and his critical hits.
Grinded and went through Viridian forest.
Grinded a lot. Like to level 20 a lot. Probably too much, but oh well.
Went inside to face Brock.
Three slams and Geodude was history.
Max double team? Aint no way that Onix'll hit me.
Slammed that Onix into oblivion.
Boulder Badge get!
Went on route 3 and easily breezed past every trainer there.
Into the Lunar Mountain!
Cleared Mt. Moon.
I kicked out Team Rocket.
Also caught Em, the clefairy. A possible HM slave for later.
Made it to Cerulean City and beat Gary.
Pretty sure I just shocked Misty too.
Cleared Nugget Bridge. And defeated that trickster at the end.
Picked up Charry the Charmander. Definitely an HM slave. Just so I can have him in my party. :p
Headed to the SS Anne for a party!
Oh wait.. It's an afterparty. And no one wants to party.
Its mainly just disgruntled trainers who want to battle. Oh well.
Time to battle Gary! Sparky makes quick work of him and levels him up to 36.
Rubbed an the Captain's back. And got cut.
Taught cut to Charry, and went to the gym.
Sparky made short work of the Lieutenant Surge's Raichu and its time to be moving on.
Got Tim the Squirtle as my second HM slave.
Got my bike voucher and backtracked to Cerulean City.
Obtained my bike.
Caught my first permanent addition to my team on Route 10: Greg the Magnemite. (lvl 18)
Used my TM 24 (Thunderbolt) on Greg, and set to work on grinding a little before Rock Tunnel.
Finished my grinding at Route 10 when Greg evolves into Magneton. Its Rock Tunnel time baby.
Rock Tunnel was pretty easy. I accidentally backtracked out though... o.O
Gary's respecting the dead. Time to defeat everyone in his party.
Breezed through him and now I think I'm done for the day.

Current Team:
Sparky: level 40 Pikachu
Greg: level 34 Magneton

HM Slaves:
Tim : level 10 Squirtle
Charry: level 10 Charmander

Years
  • Seen Nov 17, 2012
Bug UMC

Since my last update I've beaten team rocket at Silph co, beaten Sabrina and (after a lot of tries) Blaine. Now im on my way to viridian city...

Years
  • Seen Nov 15, 2012
I will be participating in a psychic ultimate monotype. I will play Blue-Silver-Sapphire-Diamond-White. This will be fun.

warman13x

Shocking Ace Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
Finished Pokemon Yellow (Wow, that was fast.)

I made it to Celadon City after beating Gary and did a very important thing upon arriving:
Got my own personal, fluffy, and extremely cute Eevee, and called him Jack.
I went to the Celadon City mall and bought a Thunder Stone and a TM 09.
I evolved Jack into a Jolteon, taught him Take Down, and it was time to face Erika.
After using Jack to fight the first two gym trainers, I decided that I would level him up just a little bit first.
Well, the Erika battle was somewhat tough, but I still managed.
Now I'm gonna go in the rocket base and sabotage their plans.
Sabotaged Giovanni's plans. Moving on to Lavender Town and the Pokemon Tower.
I helped to depart the soul of Cubone's mother, and defeated Jessie and James for the third time.
Obtained the Pokeflute from Mr. Pokemon, and went to wake up a Snorlax.
Took the scenic path and went down cycling road.
Made it to Fuschia City, and took care of Koga.
Then I went into the Safari Zone to get Surf and the Gold Teeth.
Unfortunately, I forgot to get surf, so I had to go back in. Oh well. Live and learn.
Backtracked to the Power Plant and caught two level 43 Electrodes, Chad and Brad, as well as another Magneton.
After just a little grinding, its time to kick Team Rocket out of Saffron.
I slaughtered Gary and Giovanni, and made short work of Sabrina.
Took the water path to the south of Fuschia, and made it to the Seafoam Islands.
After I finally made it out, I continued on the path until I finally reached Cinnabar Island.
Obtained the Secret Key from the Pokemon Mansion, and went on to devestate Blaine.
Surfed back to Pallet Town. Its finally time to face that mysterious gym in Viridian City.
Defeated Giovanni for the last time, and its on to the Pokemon League.
Made it through Victory Road, and I'm ready to face the Elite Four.
I defeated Lance! Now I'm the pokemon league champion! ...wait. What? Another guy?
Destroyed Gary and became the new Champion of the Kanto League!

Final Team:

Sparky - Level 53 Pikachu
Brad - Level 46 Electrode
Chad - Level 47 Electrode
Greg - Level 47 Magneton
Mike - Level 48 Magneton

MVP:
Jack - Level 60 Jolteon

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Sep 5, 2011
I finally picked up a copy of Pokemon Black and have just finished defeating Alder with my mono-ground team. I started this challenge a year ago and now finally claim the title of Ultimate Ground Type Champion! (Woo!)

My Black team:
530.png

Lv.71 Quirky Excadrill ~ Sand Rush
Earthquake
Rock Slide
X-Scissor
Swords Dance

Huge attack and decent speed. Steel type gives nice resistances even though Defense/Spec Defense stats are lacking. Helpful vs grass types.

537.png

Lv.70 Serious Seismitoad ~ Poison Touch
Surf
Earthquake
Drain Punch
Attract

Only ground type on my team not weak to water, quite valuable in that regard despite average stats..

553.png

Lv.74 Careful Krookodile ~ Moxie
Crunch
Earthquake
Outrage
Sandstorm

Excellent physical sweeper especially with it's high speed and Moxie.

618.png

Lv.71 Relaxed Stunfisk ~ Static
Thunderbolt
Earthquake
Toxic
Scald

One of the oddest looking pokemon I've ever seen both in appearance and typing. Was nice to finally get some electric moves, too bad it's weak to water. Good special attack and good special defense helped a lot since many of my other pokes were more fragile.

623.png

Lv.71 Naughty Golurk ~ Iron Fist
Hammer Arm
Earthquake
Shadow Punch
Fly

Excellent anti-normal and fighting poke. Has a lot of weaknesses and is lacking in defensive stats and speed however. Dark moves are very common.

472.png

Lv.72 Careful Gliscor ~ Hyper Cutter
Acrobatics
Earthquake
Ice Fang
Swords Dance

My favourite ground type pokemon from all the games. Synergizes perfectly in double battles by being immune to it's partner's Earthquake. Huge defense and good attack, special defense and speed. It's only downsides are a fatal weakness to ice and a below par HP stat. Could only pick him up after the first E4 fight, but still was very glad to see Gliscor again.

~

This was a very fun challenge for me as it got me back into the pokemon games I've loved since childhood. Thanks to Alakazam17 and myrrhman for updating and maintaining this thread.

I'm going to start over soon with a Ultimate Fire-Type challenge.

Last edited:

warman13x

Shocking Ace Trainer
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2019
Due to the lack of electric types in the beginning of Pokemon Crystal, I will instead be playing Soul Silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back