• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: Custom Moves

Opinion on Custom Moves?

• Yes, I'd love more expanded movesets in fan games!

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Nah, I'm a traditionalist

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • When is Gaia 3.0 coming out?

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters

Dyskinesia

Second-rate hack
Years
  • Age 25
  • Ohio
  • Seen May 12, 2019
I know that the general consensus on Fakemon is that unless they're done incredibly well, you shouldn't put them in a fan game at all. I was wondering what your guy's opinions on new moves are, though.

I've been throwing around ideas in my head about ways of making team building interesting around the level 60-100 range in the games where it can get stale in traditional games. Z moves and Mega evolution are alright, but in reality they just make Pokémon stronger, and don't really contribute new mechanics to the game.

Reborn has battlefield effects, which was another idea I have been considering, but that's kinda their thing so I don't want to steal it, or at least impliment it quite to that level.

So the idea I've been tossing around most recently has been simply expanding movesets so that Pokémon are getting more versatile still even after they've finished evolving. This could be done by giving them access to moves that they wouldn't traditionally get that already exist, or even adding in completely new ones. There's a lot of room for mechanics that would fit within the Pokémon engine that aren't really explored, and I personally think they'd be pretty cool.

Here are some examples I was thinking of:

- A move that switches control of the two trainer's Pokémon for X amount of turns. Can't switch out during those turns, or use the move again.

- A move that swaps movesets of two Pokémon currently in the battle.

- A move that allows you to attack the opponent's Party Pokémon

- A super-ditto move that lets you transform into any of the opponent's party pokemon

etc etc etc

I know these ones in particular deal a lot with the opponent's party Pokémon and stuff, but there's a lot more options for interesting moves that can be explored as well.

So what do you guys think? Are you for or against movepool additions in fan games?

Years
  • Age 27
  • OH
  • Seen Feb 26, 2024
I like custom moves as long as they aren't game-breaking. The kind of moves that fit in/complement existing moves as opposed to the kind of custom moves we usually see which are way stronger than any existing moves.

Years
... but that's kinda their thing so I don't want to steal it ...
What's wrong in having inspiration? And pokémon (the anime/TCG) already had this kind of thing so I woudn't call it stealing.

Back on topic, I'm totally in favor of new moves! Almost anything is valid if it's not totally broken. New moves just need creativity.

Guest123123

I think custom moves can be neat provided like the others said they aren't game-breaking. I think custom moves are done well more often than fakemon are.

I've thought before that it would be cool if every legendary Pokemon had a signature move, since while a lot of them do, there are also quite a few that don't.

About field effects, in general Ame is fine with people incorporating features or resources from Reborn in their games. She's released packs before for the public like the Gen 7 sprite pack and plans to do so in the future with the game's custom animations. Rejuvenation, Desolation, and Revelation (which is discontinued) use field effects. A developing game called Xenogene will also have them according to the creator.

Back