• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Champion Challenge

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Introduction

The premise of this challenge follows that you are battling through the various regions in order to become a champion, and with each gym leader or trial captain you become the master of that Pokemon type.

Rules

1. You may only capture 1 HM slave, but once your party is full you must discard it if it's not part of your actual party of 6.
2. You may only capture 1 of each type of Pokemon that you master (including your starter).
3. No hacking in Pokemon, but trading and gift Pokemon are fine.
4. Upon reaching the elite 4 for the first time in any game you must have a party of 6, and they must all be at at least level 35.
5. No hacking in general items. However you may put in evolutionary items or stones after your 4th badge if they're not available before the elite 4.
6. Minus your HM slave, you can't use or catch a pokemon unless you've already beaten the gym leader.
7. You may use only the initial starter you are given, no hatching new more powerful ones and no accepting starters from any region during in game events.
8. If playing in the master mode, you may only capture and use the Pokemon which the gym leaders or trial captains utilize. Meaning beating Brock in RBY would let you use Geodude and Onix, or fighting Ilima in S/M would allow you to use Yungoos or Smeargle.

End

Spoiler:

Forum Name:
Game: Specific, not region
Level: normal or master

Challengers​

Normal
Spoiler:

Master
Spoiler:

My Sign Up

Forum Name: aeternum
Game: Gold
Level: Master

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Approved! Good luck!

I only have question. If I get it right, I can only use 6 Pokemon from 8 different types?

Yup, or 7 in the case of S/M. And as long as you don't take on the master version, you can use any Pokemon from those types once you beat their leader. The original thread is pretty similar if you want to check it out. I'm pretty sure I just reworded a few things here and there before reposting https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=322767

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
If playing in the master mode, you may only capture and use the Pokemon which the gym leaders or trial captains utilize.
When you say "Geodude and Onix", do you mean "no evolutions beyond those allowed for Master Mode"? (In other words, Geodude but no Graveler or Golem.)

Can you capture pre-evolutions if you evolve them ASAP? (For instance, no Leader in Kanto uses Oddish or Gloom, but Erika uses Vileplume, which is not obtainable in the wild; is it acceptable to capture a Gloom and immediately feed it a Leaf Stone?)

Never mind, read your original version and saw the original "Master Mode":
Master mode requires that you use only the base evolution of each pokemon you choose meaning the stage of the pokemon that you would get if you hatched it from an egg.
That inherently implies it's allowed to use pre-evolutions. Derp.

For fringe cases like Kanto's Sabrina, in which Leaders use Pokemon not actually of their type, would Venomoth be unlocked at Sabrina (because she uses it) or at Koga (because he unlocks the Poison-type)?

Spoiler:

Forum Name: Disturb Not The Harmony
Game: Blue (changed from Red upon realization)

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
For fringe cases like Kanto's Sabrina, in which Leaders use Pokemon not actually of their type, would Venomoth be unlocked at Sabrina (because she uses it) or at Koga (because he unlocks the Poison-type)?

For the normal mode, you unlock the types of Pokemon that the gym's badge is based around. So even though Sabrina uses a poison type, she is still the psychic type master meaning you may now use psychic types on your team. In the master version, you unlock the Pokemon that the leader actually uses. Of course, this means you can use evos of that Pokemon as well as pre-evos.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
My Update

Chose Totodile as my starter and ran around doing the fetch quest until I beat my rival. Quickly finished up the quest and then moved on to fight and beat Falkner immediately. Went out and caught a level 3 Pidgey and trained it until it knew Gust before taking it up sprout tower. Got Flash and then went down to Union Cave where Pidgey turned in to Pidgeotto. Saved the game for play on another day.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Nice.

That will come in handy on future challenges.

Spoiler:

Challenge complete.

Hall of Fame
26.PNG

Thunder! the Raichu L37: (Lt. Surge)
Thunderbolt | Thunder Wave | Quick Attack | Submission
121.PNG

JSTOR the Starmie L39: (Misty)
Surf | Blizzard | Psychic | Tackle
6.PNG

Charm the Charizard L50: (Prof. Oak)
Flamethrower | Strength | Slash | Dig
122.PNG

MARCEL the Mr. Mime L36: (Sabrina)
Confusion | Barrier | Light Screen | Doubeslap
114.PNG

Cable TV the Tangela L39: (Erika)
Absorb | Bind | Stun Spore | Mega Drain
89.PNG

O HAI MARK the Muk L44: (Koga)
Sludge | Poison Gas | Minimize | Disable

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Congratulations on your completion of the challenge! Would you care to take it on again with another version? While playing GSC/HGSS for instance you have numerous more types that you could use since there're 16 badges

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Congratulations on your completion of the challenge! Would you care to take it on again with another version? While playing GSC/HGSS for instance you have numerous more types that you could use since there're 16 badges.
Yeah, I was just thinking of that. :)

I'll probably be going with the team unlocked by Johto, though, because grinding in GSC is annoying and I think Red can be cleared by the best of the Johto options. (I will be taking advantage of the option to add an evolutionary item before E4 because I'm putting Poliwrath on my team.)

Pre-run thoughts:
Spoiler:

Forum Name: Disturb Not The Harmony
Game: Gold

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
decided to go ahead and do some more on my own challenge because why not

My Update

Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Update:
Spoiler:

Current Team @ Radio Tower:
Queen Zeal L24 Swinub
Gaspar L28 Haunter
Belthasar L26 Poliwhirl
Cynefrith L40 Typhlosion
Melchior L29 Magnemite

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
My Update - Elite 4 win

Spoiler:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
My Update

Spoiler:

I suppose next up would be a run of Ruby.

Forum Name: aeternum
Game: Ruby

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
E4 Update:
Spoiler:

A few thoughts on E4 for anyone else attempting this challenge:
Spoiler:

Johto Hall of Fame:
82.gif

Melchior the L37 Magneton:
Thundershock | Lock-On | Thunder Wave | Swift
93.gif

Gaspar the L35 Haunter @Amulet Coin:
Hypnosis | Lick | Night Shade | Confuse Ray
62.gif

Belthasar the L37 Poliwrath @Mystic Water:
Surf | Hypnosis | Body Slam | Ice Punch
221.gif

Queen Zeal the L35 Piloswine @NeverMeltIce:
Powder Snow | Mud-Slap | Endure | Take Down
157.gif

Cynefrith the L45 Typhlosion @Charcoal:
Flame Wheel | Thunder Punch | Earthquake | Strength
148.gif

Schala the L40 Dragonair @Dragon Fang:
Surf |Dragon Rage | Thunder Wave | Twister

Now comes Kanto and Red. I don't think I'll be able to get through HIM with luck and a prayer, unless the AI is extremely compliant.
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Oct 8, 2018
Kanto update:
Spoiler:

This run has been sponsored by your local PokeMart association. Remember to always support your local communities by spending all the money you've looted off local Trainers. And remember: there's no better way to avoid losing money to blacking out against the Elite Four than blowing it all on healing items first!

Defeaters of Red:
221.gif

Queen Zeal the L40 Piloswine @NeverMeltIce: (Pryce)
Powder Snow | Mud-Slap | Endure | Take Down
82.gif

Melchior the L42 Magneton: (Jasmine)
Thundershock | Flash | Thunder Wave | Swift
93.gif

Gaspar the L42 Haunter @Amulet Coin: (Morty)
Hypnosis | Dream Eater | Night Shade | Confuse Ray
62.gif

Belthasar the L44 Poliwrath @Mystic Water: (Chuck)
Surf | Hypnosis | Body Slam | Ice Punch
157.gif

Cynefrith the L49 Typhlosion @Charcoal: (Prof. Elm)
Flame Wheel | Thunder Punch | Earthquake | Strength
148.gif

Schala the L50 Dragonair @Exp. Share: (Clair)
Surf |Dragon Rage | Thunder Wave | Twister

Challenge complete!

(I might go back and level a bit to see if I could do this without healing item spam...
EDIT: Did so, just out of sheer curiosity, and concluded that Dewgong is superior to Piloswine for this challenge because it walls Red's Blastoise, which is the Pokemon that can't be handled by leveling Magneton more. Also, Snorlax can be gamed by swapping Haunter and a non-Ghost back and forth to exhaust its Amnesia and Body Slam PP. Hm.)

Last edited:

BlissyMKW

Rawr
Years
So, without further delay, let's get this show on the road.

Episode 1 - Bowser Jr. the Carry

So you see, I'm the kind of person who will use the starter he's used to. In this case, it's Squirtle. Bowser Jr. the Squirtle. After a long Tackle marathon with Stizh (my rival's name), I headed on over to Viridian City to be Oak's delivery boy and get his parcel for him so he would hand me over the Pokedex (let it also be known that he's a stingy little one and refuses to give me Poke Balls, but I know I can't beat Stizh's Pidgey and Bulbasaur with just Bowser Jr. Trust me, I tried. I actually saved before attempting and got Sand-Attack screwed to oblivion, then just reset.)

Anyway, Viridian Woods was uneventful. Once Bowser Jr. got Bubble, it was just "spam Bubble to win every battle and heal if needed." Brock and his gym minion followed the same formula, thus giving me access to Onix and the Geodude line...or Geodude and Graveler to be exact.

Bide is a trash move, so of course I boxed that garbage right away and stocked up on a few Poke Balls since Oak is a stizh and refuses to give me any so I have to get my own, and some more potions, and we're on our way once again, obliterating anyone who dares to get in my way until Mt. Moon. Let it also be known that along the way, Bowser Jr. got a better Water move for me to abuse. Fantastic.

Welp, Mt. Moon time, and after destroying every trainer on Route 3, my boy Bowser Jr. is now an almighty Wartortle. Just one step away from his true glory. But anyway, Mt. Moon is my first chance to snag a Geodude, but I opted against it since it would give me a shared Grass weakness, and looking at my team right now and how Stizh is running around with a Bulbasaur, having Geodude will be a long term bad idea. Oh well, looks like we're soloing until something comes along that could be long term better for my team.

Anyway, with Mt. Moon out of the way and no Geodude in the party, the next hurdles are Misty, Surge, and the next encounter with Stizh. I don't have a choice but to face Misty for Cut access outside of battle, but with Bowser Jr. already in my party, having access to the Staryu line won't be helpful to me even though Starmie is really good. First things first, and that's getting to Vermillion City so I can get the Cut HM. This will also help me with some more experience that will make Misty laughably easy despite having a Water type.

So a Lv. 23 Wartortle vs. a team of four...well, technically three since Abra is next to useless since it only has Teleport. Well, Pidgeotto spamming Sand-Attack a little to lower my accuracy didn't help. Abra was basically free healing time, I crit the Rattata, and then Sand-Attack really came to bite me with constant Tackle misses while Bulbasaur wailed on Bowser Jr. with Vine Whip and eventually a Leech Seed, but it was dead by the time it threw out the seeds. So, not a bad run for a solo Water type.

So between a boatload of battles, refusing to join the best evil team, fixing up Bill and getting the SS Ticket, and a close call with poison thanks to a Poisonpowder Butterfree and two required trainers shortly afterward, we're here in Vermillion City...even though I'm only here for one thing, and that's the S.S. Anne. So, it's time to storm in and wipe out every trainer, including a certain stizh and get myself a Cut HM.

So let me just say one thing. I officially hate Sand-Attack. I missed five attacks in a row after two Sand-Attacks. Sure, I crit his Ivysaur to death with Bite (I got two in a row) and the Kadabra was pretty unintimidating, but otherwise, that battle was pretty cancer. At least I got my Cut HM and went to scoop up the Bike Voucher for later when I slide over to Fuchsia City. Now, how about we go blow up Misty for access to Water types I have no intention of using.

A shiny new Cascade Badge, access to useless Water types, and a bike. Of course, I'd rather just abuse the speedup button, but that's kind of standard. But that aside, Rock Tunnel is coming up, and I could get Onix, but...it goes right back to the whole "weak to Grass" problem. Not happening.

But on another note, don't be like me. Buy your healing items before you mindlessly go charging into Rock Tunnel without Flash. I got lucky that I still had a few spare Potions for any heals I would've needed. But that aside, my goal is Celadon to get some Grass type access outside of my Oddish HM slave because I needed it for Cut. Celadon's a hot spot because of that (mostly) free Ice Beam TM.

And now, for the synopsis of Celadon City Gym.

Step 1: Teach Bowser Jr. Ice Beam
Step 2: Wipe out everything with a combination of Ice Beam and Bite
Step 2.5: Bro, you're Lv. 40+ and nothing in this gym will be any threat anymore
Step 3: Blow up a Victreebel, Tangela, and Vileplume
Step 4: Profit...by having access to the Bellsprout and Oddish lines...and Tangela, I guess.

Actually, I'm wrong. I can't get any member of the Bellsprout line at all because I'm playing Red, so I only now have access to Tangela and the Oddish line. rip having a Victreebel. Looking at routes on Serebii, Tangela is my best bet for a decent mon...if I didn't require Surf. At the same time, Gloom is available only on routes I can't access yet because of Snorlax. I've really put myself in a corner with my strategy here. 3 gyms done and I haven't caught a single thing. Welp, this is the path I chose. Gotta take it to the end. My Surf required mons plan hasn't changed. I'll just have to blow up Team Rocket real quick and prove that Bowser Jr. is pretty much going to carry the rest of the game, even when I start piecing the team together.

Everything that happens prior to me reaching Fuchsia City is information that shouldn't need to be described. I have a Blastoise that's nearly level 50. Nothing is a threat to me anymore. So after a brisk walk through the Safari Zone (the one place in R/B/Y where I don't use the speedup button like some kind of lunatic) and picking up both Surf and the Gold Teeth for the totally required Strength HM, you must be wondering something if you've been reading this far. "This guy has had the chance to catch a Geodude or an Onix for a long time, but instead, he completely denies them and chooses to even not face Surge yet. What's this strategy he's raving on about and why is Surf so important?"

Well, that answer is simple. Fake item Electrode. It's available at a high level but you require Surf to reach the Power Plant to pick it up. I get two chances, and if that goes under, a Lv. 40 Voltorb is still available. Tangela, as we already covered, is Surf blocked, as if Cinnabar Island. Ponyta and Growlithe, along with Koffing are all able to be caught over there. Put Electrode, Ponyta, and either Koffing or Grimer in and we've got a solid team of 5 counting Tangela. I've had this all planned out, and the one key component that was missing for this scheme was the late availability of Surf. So once Koga's done, I get access to some solid mons, so let's go and blow him up.

Today, on the "spam the STAB move in order to win with next to no challenge at all because you're using a Lv. 49 Blastoise," we have Koga and his gym minions. There were no survivors from the drowning of Fuchsia City gym. Koga did leave the rights to the Koffing and Grimer lines, though, so it's still a win for us. Now that Surf is usable outside of battle, we have some work to do. Let's go catch us a Tangela.

So after a long walk back to Pallet Town and a single Ultra Ball, Tangled the Tangela has joined the squad. Operation Gather the Squad has officially begun. Now it's time to rip Surge a new one in order to have access to the Pikachu and Voltorb lines. To the Power Plant after the world's worst gym puzzle!

Fun fact: I save stated before the puzzle because it sucks, but I ended up getting it first try. GGs game. Anyway, that's beside the point.

*8 or so SRs because Selfdestruct later*

Finally got him. Tangled got enough explosions to the face to last a lifetime, and I learned of another Rare Candy spot...even though it's too far out of the way for solo runs. Whatever, Smiles the Electrode is here. But with that detour aside, I'm gonna take the trip back to Pallet Town so I can Surf to Cinnabar Island and end it there. Episode 2 will probably cover the rest of the run, so ye. It'll be a fun time.

Team Zero

blastoise.png

Bowser Jr. (Blastoise) Lv. 51
Moves: Bite, Withdraw, Surf, Ice Beam

tangela.png

Tangled (Tangela) Lv. 30
Moves: Constrict, Bind, Mega Drain, Absorb

electrode.png

Smiles (Electrode) Lv. 43
Moves: Sonicboom, Thunder, Light Screen, Swift

Useable Pokemon
007.png
008.png
009.png
074.png
075.png
095.png
120.png
121.png
100.png
101.png
025.png
026.png
043.png
044.png
045.png
114.png
088.png
089.png
109.png
110.png

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
Had to switch over to Emerald since I couldn't get any other version to work. Also, I won't be getting my second permanent Pokemon until the second gym, which won't really cause much trouble but is interesting since last run I grabbed an additional Pokemon the first chance I had.

My Update

Spoiler:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
My Update

Spoiler:

Back