The PokéCommunity Forums Pokémon Gaming Challenges
Chit-Chat Challenges Ideas & Discussion

Challenges Play your Pokémon games in fresh new ways: anything from The Monotype Challenge to the popular Nuzlocke.

Old February 12th, 2018 (8:34 AM).

Nature: Relaxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
I played ORAS decently I guess, but yeah, I played RSE so much that they felt slower and easier. And I mean, RSE are easy to me now, but...lol you know, I kind of miss TMs being one use in a way? Because you literally have to plan out who gets what move, know where there are extras of that TM, etc. Now it's like. YOU get Earthquake, YOU get Earthquake, the WHOLE TEAM shakin the ground here.

I am like...in the Diglett Tunnel in UltraMoon? And just can't be assed to go further? I used to enjoy playing challenges on the most recent game because I would have more variety for my team, but lol I can't even play through newer games normally. I don't have enough drive or time to put myself into another challenge. I still boot up older games from time to time to see where I stopped in the middle of a challenge, though. RIP to those.
I agree with TM part, but for competitive battles I think it's better that you have "infinite" uses of one TM.

But I found myself mostly thinking about doing some challenge, but never actually start it. So right now, I focus on one challenge at time.
Old February 14th, 2018 (2:06 AM).
#GoStags

Nature: Docile
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Janp View Post
    That sounds interesting. At what levels did you get your team members? I can imagine it being hard if you got them on low levels and being pretty easy if you got them on higher levels.
    Tyrantrum and Beheeyem were level 1 Tyrunt and Elgyem, the Armaldo was a level 20 Anorith and Starmie was already fully evolved. Can't remember the other two. It was fun to level up the low level ones but I kept ending up with some of my team a higher level than my badges so it added to the challenge. Especially in the large gaps between badges such as between Wattson and Flannery.

The main reason I did it was I always liked the idea of giving Wonder Trade fodder a new lease of life. Those Pokémon people just stick in there in the hope of getting an unfairly good Pokémon in return for their level 3 Pidgey. The second time I did it (on Pokemon Y this time) I made it more of a challenge by sticking strictly to the first 6 I got. This resulted in a team of Furret, Charizard, Vivillon, Noctowl and two Linoones!
    Old February 23rd, 2018 (6:55 AM).

Hey my name is Lorenzo, im looking for someone to do a soul link with. Im from The Netherlands so if you live in Europe hit me up! ( Europe for less time diffrence, America makes it harder to play together).
      Old February 23rd, 2018 (10:05 AM).

Quote:
      Originally Posted by LorenzoFLR View Post
      Hey my name is Lorenzo, im looking for someone to do a soul link with. Im from The Netherlands so if you live in Europe hit me up! ( Europe for less time diffrence, America makes it harder to play together).
      Hi, I moved your post to general discussion. I hope you find someone to play with :)
      Old February 23rd, 2018 (11:08 AM).

Nature: Sassy
        Has there ever been an Egglocke monotype challenge? You get a ton of unhatched eggs that are all of Pokémon who have the same type (e.g. Electric type) that someone else breeds. You could hatch one every time you win a major battle. Any that die get boxed or released (shinies get boxed of course).

Shiny Pokemon I have caught: Rapidash (SS), Linoone (E), Spinda (E), Bibarel (Pt), Weedle (FR), Garbodor (X), Chansey(x5) (X), Audino(x2) (X), Flechinder (Mn), Whiscash (Mn), Magby (Mn), Caterpie (X)

Hall of Fame Post
        Old February 23rd, 2018 (11:18 AM).

Quote:
        Originally Posted by Leòmhann teine View Post
        Has there ever been an Egglocke monotype challenge? You get a ton of unhatched eggs that are all of Pokémon who have the same type (e.g. Electric type) that someone else breeds. You could hatch one every time you win a major battle. Any that die get boxed or released (shinies get boxed of course).
        There was thread for it, but many people either post it in general Nuzlocke thread now or in Challenge Logs.
        Old February 23rd, 2018 (11:25 AM). Edited February 23rd, 2018 by Leòmhann teine.

Quote:
          There was thread for it, but many people either post it in general Nuzlocke thread now or in Challenge Logs.
          Not quite original enough I guess? Oh well it definitely sounds fun. I think I’ll try it out at some point. I’m considering reviving the Eeveelution Challenge. I thought it was fun and had an ultimate challenge going in challenge logs until I lost my save data (it was a Nuzlocke too). Granted mine was a relay challenge (you keep the same Pokémon you start off with through multiple games. You just reset it to level 1 each game).

Shiny Pokemon I have caught: Rapidash (SS), Linoone (E), Spinda (E), Bibarel (Pt), Weedle (FR), Garbodor (X), Chansey(x5) (X), Audino(x2) (X), Flechinder (Mn), Whiscash (Mn), Magby (Mn), Caterpie (X)

Hall of Fame Post
          Old February 23rd, 2018 (12:05 PM).

Quote:
          Not quite original enough I guess? Oh well it definitely sounds fun. I think I’ll try it out at some point. I’m considering reviving the Eeveelution Challenge. I thought it was fun and had an ultimate challenge going in challenge logs until I lost my save data. Granted mine was a relay challenge (you keep the same Pokémon you start off with through multiple games. You just reset it to level 1 each game).
          I was thinking about doing Egglocke too, since last one I did was in 2014/2015.

But Eeveelution was really fun :D If you decide to revive it, I'll probably join in.
          Old February 23rd, 2018 (12:51 PM). Edited February 23rd, 2018 by Strike the Blood.
          I am the best in the world.

Nature: Adamant
          I don't think an Egglocke is "unique" enough to warrant being its own seperate challenge. A lot of the time gimmick challenges don't do well as a separate thread. best to just stick to the original then say you're implementing some different rules.
          Old February 24th, 2018 (4:14 AM).

Yeah, for some reason Egglocke isn't that much popular, but I think it's still known more that let's say Chesslocke XD
          Old February 24th, 2018 (4:28 AM).
          Sexy sexy sexy

Nature: Bold
          Quote:
          Yeah, for some reason Egglocke isn't that much popular, but I think it's still known more that let's say Chesslocke XD
          What is the Chesslocke?
          Old February 24th, 2018 (5:12 AM). Edited February 24th, 2018 by Janp.

Quote:
          Originally Posted by L'Belle View Post
          What is the Chesslocke?
          It's Nuzlocke variant inspired by Chess. You can catch up to 16 Pokémon. One is consider King, one Queen, two Bishops, two Knights, two Rooks, and eight Pawns. I'm don't remember whole rules, but each Pokémon could only use limited number of moves determinated by how you can move the chess piece in real game - Bishop can move in 2 directions, so Pokémon that became Bishop can only use 2 moves. The pawn can't evolve, but if it solos major battle it can be promoted to other role. If King faints, it's game over...

Now that I remembered it, I feel like trying it again :D
          Old February 24th, 2018 (4:10 PM).

Quote:
            It's Nuzlocke variant inspired by Chess. You can catch up to 16 Pokémon. One is consider King, one Queen, two Bishops, two Knights, two Rooks, and eight Pawns. I'm don't remember whole rules, but each Pokémon could only use limited number of moves determinated by how you can move the chess piece in real game - Bishop can move in 2 directions, so Pokémon that became Bishop can only use 2 moves. The pawn can't evolve, but if it solos major battle it can be promoted to other role. If King faints, it's game over...

Now that I remembered it, I feel like trying it again :D
            Sounds like a challenge for sure. I would probably make a Pawn have a move like Outrage or Snowball/Rollout. If it can only use one move at least make it something that hits hard. You won’t be able to switch out though...

Hall of Fame Post
            Old February 25th, 2018 (4:28 AM).

Quote:
            Sounds like a challenge for sure. I would probably make a Pawn have a move like Outrage or Snowball/Rollout. If it can only use one move at least make it something that hits hard. You won’t be able to switch out though...
            That's actually good idea :D If you could pull out the Outrage and solo Gym Leader, you could promote it to other role... Now that sounds easy XD
            Old February 25th, 2018 (9:29 AM).

Quote:
              That's actually good idea :D If you could pull out the Outrage and solo Gym Leader, you could promote it to other role... Now that sounds easy XD
              Just make sure you don’t do it against Fairy types. And you could use Uproar too just beware of Ghost types.

Hall of Fame Post
              Old February 27th, 2018 (11:20 PM).

Hello, Pokemon community. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Nuzlocke challenges recently and I've found them to be super fun. I've had so many misadventures and funny incidents, as well as interesting luck that I've been considering sharing them. My question is basically does anyone really watch nuzlocke playthroughs? would seeing a particular nuzlocke playthrough on youtube interest you? and if not what can make them interesting(playing your favorite game, additional challenges, editing, commentary, etc.), or if there's just no market at all.
                Any kind of feedback from this Pokemon community is valuable. Thank you for any and all responses!
                Old February 28th, 2018 (7:42 AM).

Quote:
                Originally Posted by Gamingjeff View Post
                Hello, Pokemon community. I've been playing a lot of Pokemon Nuzlocke challenges recently and I've found them to be super fun. I've had so many misadventures and funny incidents, as well as interesting luck that I've been considering sharing them. My question is basically does anyone really watch nuzlocke playthroughs? would seeing a particular nuzlocke playthrough on youtube interest you? and if not what can make them interesting(playing your favorite game, additional challenges, editing, commentary, etc.), or if there's just no market at all.
                Any kind of feedback from this Pokemon community is valuable. Thank you for any and all responses!
                Hi, I moved your post in discussion :) Personally I don't watch anything Pokémon related on Youtube, so I can't say if people like it or not.
                Old March 4th, 2018 (5:44 PM).
                Type diversity? What type diversity?

Nature: Timid
                  I am right now going thru Pokemon Platinum, but I want to replay Pokemon Pearl. My Plan is to do a Mono-Eeveelution challenge. The game plan would be breed Eevee's in Platinum, trade them over to pearl, hatch them (So they do not have the trade boosted exp and disobedience,) trade them back to platinum, evolve them, trade them back, get them to level 5, then move past Sandgem town. I would rotate Leafeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Glaceonm and an unevolved Eevee.

Have any of you done an Eeveelution only run, and if so, how did it go?

Soul Silver Fire Monotype: Badge 7/16
                  Old March 7th, 2018 (6:53 PM).
                  la justice

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by SilverLeafeon75 View Post
                  I am right now going thru Pokemon Platinum, but I want to replay Pokemon Pearl. My Plan is to do a Mono-Eeveelution challenge. The game plan would be breed Eevee's in Platinum, trade them over to pearl, hatch them (So they do not have the trade boosted exp and disobedience,) trade them back to platinum, evolve them, trade them back, get them to level 5, then move past Sandgem town. I would rotate Leafeon, Jolteon, Espeon, Umbreon, Flareon, Vaporeon, Glaceonm and an unevolved Eevee.

Oooh, it's been a minute since I did one of those. I think it was gen III when I did, so I was able to have all the Eeveelutions at that time, plus a normal Eevee. It was??? Okay? It was so long ago though, I barely remember. I was still a kid, aha. I imagine it would be even more fun now with more, or even just in Platinum. Good plan on trading them over to evolve and then back though because waiting on the Ice Rock is literal hell.

Side note, I once did a challenge where my only team members were Leafeon and Roserade and it was pretty damn awesome. That was actually the first challenge thread I ever made here, aha. I don't really want to search for that relic, though.
                  Old March 8th, 2018 (7:39 AM).
                  Harbinger of Calamity

Nature: Modest
                  So, what is the general opinion on those monthly challenges at this point? Literally no one signed up for February's, and I'm just wondering if they are worth continuing. I'll still try to run special events every so often regardless, just need to plan (some ideas would help too!).
                  It protects fields and warns people of disaster,
                  so one ought to be grateful for it.

Challenges - TCG - Trade Corner - Daily
                  Old March 8th, 2018 (8:04 AM).

Nature: Calm
                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by Spirit Shackle View Post
                    So, what is the general opinion on those monthly challenges at this point? Literally no one signed up for February's, and I'm just wondering if they are worth continuing. I'll still try to run special events every so often regardless, just need to plan (some ideas would help too!).
                    I really wanted to participate, but unfortunately my school workload was heavier than I anticipated :( I know I won't be able to participate in any challenges until at least May (and even then, it depends on what kind of job I get over the summer)
                    Old March 8th, 2018 (9:45 AM).

Quote:
                      Originally Posted by SilverLeafeon75 View Post

Probably my favorite challenge. I currently have an Eeveelock Relay Challenge going in the Challenge logs. I recently had to start over because I lost a save but it was fun and I definitely want to continue it later.

[P.S. I’ve been thinking of reviving the Eeveelution challenge. I just need the time.]

Hall of Fame Post
                      Old March 8th, 2018 (3:22 PM). Edited March 8th, 2018 by Sydian.
                      la justice

If I may make a suggestion, I think doing them monthly, even if they're smaller and just little post-game things and not having to restart the game, is too frequent. It doesn't make them very special and there doesn't need to be an event every single month, especially when people are doing other challenges in the mean time. I used to run events based on upcoming holidays or major events (I did one for like...football season of all things? lmfao) which usually went really well. I think that putting in more time and thought to a large event every few (3-4? just depends) months rather than a smaller one every month will make them stand out more and attract more people. They'll be like a treat instead of something expected every single month where they can come to be stale quickly.

I would be more than happy to help come up with something! I never got around to it in my time, but I had always wanted to do a cute summer themed challenge event in June or July, and that is the next major thing coming up that's a good way away to properly plan.

some princes don't become kings.
                      Old March 9th, 2018 (2:11 PM).
                      Harbinger of Calamity

Nature: Modest
                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by Sydian View Post
                      If I may make a suggestion, I think doing them monthly, even if they're smaller and just little post-game things and not having to restart the game, is too frequent. It doesn't make them very special and there doesn't need to be an event every single month, especially when people are doing other challenges in the mean time. I used to run events based on upcoming holidays or major events (I did one for like...football season of all things? lmfao) which usually went really well. I think that putting in more time and thought to a large event every few (3-4? just depends) months rather than a smaller one every month will make them stand out more and attract more people. They'll be like a treat instead of something expected every single month where they can come to be stale quickly.

I would be more than happy to help come up with something! I never got around to it in my time, but I had always wanted to do a cute summer themed challenge event in June or July, and that is the next major thing coming up that's a good way away to properly plan.
                      That was basically my thought as well. I may try to put something spring-themed together at some point next week, because rushing is more fun.

I think I'll probably look to the Time Warp Challenge for inspiration. So, each set might have "All of your Pokemon must have one of these 5-6 types (for spring, probably Grass, Water, Fairy, Ground, Flying, maybe one more?)", "You MUST use a [theme here]-inspired Pokemon (which can be any type) (so for spring, probably flower, which means Venusaur, Vileplume, Belossom, Roselia, Roserade, Florges, etc.)", and "you may not use these 3-4 types, even if the Pokemon also has one of the allowed types, unless it counts as the mandatory theme-inspired Pokemon (probably Fire, Dark, Poison, and maybe one more, though Plume/Venu/Roserade can still be used because they are flower inspired)." This isn't quite as open-ended as the old monthly challenges, but still less restrictive then, say, a Monotype (because you have 5 types to pick from here).

This approach would mean that it would require a new save file, but three months is plenty of time to do a challenge like this imo. Plus, I can bribe people to participate with prizes (I was thinking maybe a cool Pokemon for people who finish the challenge, I do have one in mind...).

What does everyone think of this? Would you participate?
                      It protects fields and warns people of disaster,
                      so one ought to be grateful for it.

Challenges - TCG - Trade Corner - Daily
                      Old March 9th, 2018 (3:51 PM).
                      la justice

Prizes always help -- especially when they're not emblems. I did shiny Swablu for an event one year, but they were raffled off. There were emblems too ofc, but a shiny Swablu is so much better, ahaha.

I think letting the event run for three months (if I understood that right?) is a little overkill though? I know spring lasts about that long, but idk, it seems like a long time for one event. Perhaps a month and a half? Two max? Because then if you did a summer event, just assuming ofc, it wouldn't come right after the spring one. It doesn't hurt to have some time without an event going. Just a little breathing room, you know?

I myself would try to participate though, sure. If the parameters seem fun -- and like I said, a prize is always nice to go after. ;) Flowers fit spring well, perhaps someone on the team needs to have Rain Dance/Drizzle for April Showers? An Easter-themed Pokemon (bunny/chick? tho that's limiting)... I'm just throwing out ideas lmfao.

some princes don't become kings.

Quick Reply