• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did you first start playing pokémon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkShadow21

Master of dark fire!!
Years
I started playing them back when pokemon red and blue came out. Originally played pokemon blue on the GBP(Gameboy Pocket just in case no one remembers them) my sister had pokemon red and then we got pokemon yellow after that and i have played all of them since then(with the exception of pokemon leaf green).

Years
  • Seen Apr 14, 2012
My first game was pokemon blue I got it when I was 6 in 2000 I think. Oh boy did that game have me hooked. I would spend hours straight playing pokemon as a kid and still sometimes have a long session of pokemon nowadays.

Favorite generation had to be the second, even though I was pissed when my crystal save file got deleted after 120 hours of playtime on it

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
I first started playing in 2000, when Crystal just came out. (Ah, nostalgia is overcoming me...) Ever since then, I've gotten every single game except for Black/White.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Pretty much since they games came out here near the end of 98'. One of my friends would never share his game so I asked my mom to buy me it (Red version of course); haven't looked back since, lol.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2024
I didn't start playing the games until I was 13 or something, and that was Yellow and Ruby, on a GBA. I do however remember watching my friends play Red/Blue when we were like 9. I played the TCG instead back then!

Years
  • Seen Jan 27, 2014
I just started at 2010. That was HeartGold and I used a DS Lite. I think I knew that there was Pokemon before 2010 (one of my friends play it), but at that time I don't have any interest in Pokemon.

blue

gucci
Years
I'm kinda surprised that there are people who only started a couple of years ago when it's such a big title and been around for such along time, then again there are other games people enjoy playing.
I did get Blue in 1999 so that makes it 13 years this year.

Houndoomed

Battle Master
Years
Saw the Cartoon on Cheese TV in 97 (Aussie Kids show) bought blue, never looked back, they have all been my favourite to date at some point, but Gen IV, especially Platinum is my ultimate favourite.

Zeus

Years
Pokemon Fire Red. I still have one too, somehow they keep followin gme (this is copy #4... somehow I just keep getting them...). I don't remember how, but I manged to get a hold of a Crystal as well. But I gave it to my cousin ._.

Pppgggr

Cheese, for everyone!
Years
I started when I was about 5 or 6. My Grandma had liked the gamecube and so she bought a gameboy and pokemon yellow to try those two out. She didn't like it and when I came over and started playing it, she happily allowed me to keep both items. My favorite gens as of now would either be 2 or 3.

Nomine

サトセレ
Years
I remember... December of 1998 when I was 8. I got Pokémon Blue as a Christmas present. Ever since then, I've been hooked on the animé (older sagas) and most of the games. That day changed my whole life. I'm glad I got Pokémon Blue as a present instead of something else.

laccey

xooooo
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 3, 2013
i could not recall if it was 2001 or 2002, but the first time i started playing pokemon was with crystal. :)

PokeLordAndrew

Emulation Noob
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 4, 2013
I remember looking for a new game and coming across Fire Red, so I started playing in around 2005.
But one of my friends used to play crystal and I stole his game for like a day, does that count? :p He got it when it came out and 'left' it at my place the same day.
Haha.

Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2012
I got Blue when I was 14-15. 1999 or 2000 I am not sure which year

Unofficially (since I stole it)
Around when Pokemon Emerald came out. I was at Wallmart with my parents and I went into the Electronics section to play the video game demo's. When I noticed the someone had left the video game case open........ I grabbed a gameboy advanced sp and a copy of emerald........... I shoved it in my pants and then rushed to find my parents and asked them for the car keys to chill in the car..... I ran to our car and busted open the gameboy and I put in the emerald game and I started playing it.......

Hope the Cops did not Read this as you would be in Big Trouble over that Kid

Saw the Cartoon on Cheese TV in 97 (Aussie Kids show) bought blue, never looked back, they have all been my favourite to date at some point, but Gen IV, especially Platinum is my ultimate favourite.

Zeus

Yeah I remember Cheese TV and that is how I found out about it

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
Years
  • Age 31
  • UK
  • Seen Nov 20, 2022
I started playing the games around 1999. My aunt had pokemon red and blue which she let me borrow a lot and then I got pokemon yellow for christmas.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Nov 8, 2016
I was about 7 or 8.....no wait. Could be earlier. My first game was Pokemon blue, and it was the best game I ever played, even until now. Sadly, I lost the cartridge before I beat the Elite four.

I really loved that game......T.T

RR☆Oresama

Why? Has someone died? (¬_¬;)
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 10, 2013
Well, go figure. I was 3 years old when I got a multi-cart in Hong Kong with Red and Blue. But I really only took the games seriously with Yellow, when I was 5 and named all my characters ASH. XD

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
Years
  • Seen Jan 11, 2013
I don't remember what year it was, but I first started out as an observer - I recall watching my brother playing his copy of Yellow, and finding it intriguing. Eventually, I got my own GBC and a copy of Blue (might have been a present, I really don't remember).

Though I think I didn't pay attention to Blue for very long, since Gen 2 was released soon after...

Treecko

the princess without voice
Years
I remember it better now.
It was in March of 2000. I've been a fan of the anime since 98 but I never played the games but really wanted to so I asked for a Gameboy Color and a Pokemon game for my birthday. Me and my brothers have birthdays a month apart from each other so my dad, mom , and my grandma took us shopping to get our gifts at the same time. My older brother and both got gameboys and Pokemon blue and Red. I took Pokemon Red and he picked Pokemon Blue. My little brother wanted a N64 but we my parents could afford it so they got him a Gameboy and Game and Watch Gallery 3 instead.

blackmorale

風の行方
Years
I think I was 8 when I first started playing Pokemon--Pokemon Yellow. We had it on those 50 games in 1 cartridges, and it was useless saving the game since... well, the game doesn't save at all.

I remember this one time when my siblings and I played ALL day without turning off our GameBoy. The farthest we reached was Saffron City, lol. When the time to sleep came, I was SO hesitant to switch off the unit, thinking I'll never be in this point in the game ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back